Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

why would anyone draw this inference?

e: lol

are all the brian herbert dune stories that stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TINA TURNER posted:

Gdanzig / Dańsk
Danzig? Gdańsk? Gdanzig? Dańsk? Dgadnazńisgk? Gdanzsikg? Edit wars have been occurring for most of Wikipedia's history with regards to the exact name of this Polish German Prussian Eastern Central Northern European Baltic Baltijas city. The edit war is so notorious that it is mentioned in the April Fools 2006 "Wikipedia's first IRC chat" log. Perhaps ironically, the city hosted Wikimania 2010.

now im angry, because i dont exactly remember nobody making petitions to rename new york to nowy jork just because thats what we call it

tbf, new york isn't actually in poland

but we don't call vienna 'wien' or prague 'praha' so

spergin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are all the brian herbert dune stories that stupid?

yeah

On the planet of Poritrin, Norma Cenva leaves the world just in time to avoid a slave uprising during which a slave, unaware of the consequences, fires a lasgun into a Holtzman personal shield. The resulting explosion wipes out Tio Holtzman's labs; the slave revolt is eventually brutally crushed. Meanwhile Norma, due to her heritage as daughter of the main Sorceress of Rossak Zufa Cenva, finally taps into her latent powers under great pressure (precipitated by her capture and subsequent torture by the Titan Xerxes) to become the spearhead of humanity. She envisions a future in which massive ships transport goods and humans instantaneously across the universe, using the Holtzman effect to fold space. Norma's ships are the first of what will later be known as heighliners, and her family uses their monopoly on such travel to found the Spacing Guild.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Superintendent_(education)&oldid=586007850

see if you can guess the joke before clicking

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah

On the planet of Poritrin, Norma Cenva leaves the world just in time to avoid a slave uprising during which a slave, unaware of the consequences, fires a lasgun into a Holtzman personal shield. The resulting explosion wipes out Tio Holtzman's labs; the slave revolt is eventually brutally crushed. Meanwhile Norma, due to her heritage as daughter of the main Sorceress of Rossak Zufa Cenva, finally taps into her latent powers under great pressure (precipitated by her capture and subsequent torture by the Titan Xerxes) to become the spearhead of humanity. She envisions a future in which massive ships transport goods and humans instantaneously across the universe, using the Holtzman effect to fold space. Norma's ships are the first of what will later be known as heighliners, and her family uses their monopoly on such travel to found the Spacing Guild.

stop right there

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
nice misleading chart youve got there :thumbsup:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

i lol'd

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It is a gentle and intelligent breed whose combination of long, powerful legs, deep chest, flexible spine and slim build allows it to reach average race speeds in excess of 18 metres per second (59 feet per second, or 63 kilometres per hour (39 mph)).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i cho cho chose wisely

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

i'm the link to "www.super" in the references

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm the purple link to NPS Rawlinson Roadway

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
when are they going to come out with Comic Serif anyway

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The word is occasionally spelled Moé, and was originally related to a strong interest in a particular type or style of character in video games, anime or manga. "Moe!" is also used within anime fandom as an interjection[citation needed].

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Origins [edit]

The term's origin and etymology are unknown. Anime columnist John Oppliger has outlined several popular theories describing how the term would have stemmed from the name of anime heroines, such as Hotaru Tomoe from Sailor Moon (Tomoe is written as ÍÁÃÈ, relevant kanji is the same) or Moe Sagisawa from the 1993 anime Ky¨­ry¨± Wakusei.[5] Psychologist Tamaki Sait¨­ identifies it as coming from the Japanese word for "budding".[3] Ken Kitabayashi of the Nomura Research Institute has defined moe as "being strongly attracted to one's ideals"[6] Kitabayashi has identified the word "moe" to be a pun with the Japanese godan (Îå¶Î?) verb for "to sprout" moyasu (ÃȤ䤹?) and its homonym "to burn" moyasu (ȼ¤ä¤¹?).[6] Along the same line of thought, Kitabayashi has identified it to be a pun with the Japanese ichidan (Ò»¶Î?) verb for "to sprout" moeru (ÃȤ¨¤ë?) and its homonym "to burn" moeru (ȼ¤¨¤ë?), which mean "to burn" (in the sense of one's heart burning, or burning with passion).[6] Galbraith states that the term came from 2channel in the 1990s, discussing female characters who were "hybrids of the Lolicon (Lolita Complex) and bishoujo (beautiful girl) genres". This describes exactly Hotaru Tomoe, and coincides with her height of popularity in 2channel, giving strength to the theory that the term stemmed from her name.[7] Another reason why the term could have originated from Hotaru Tomoe is her background story, especially in the manga. The term has been associated with characters that give off the aura that they need to be protected because they are vulnerable, and Hotaru fits that category; in the manga, her mother died in a lab accident, and she was severely injured from the same accident to the point where her father needed to give her cybernetic parts, and her father died in the manga later on,[8] and in the anime, although she wasn't given cybernetic parts, and her father didn't die, her awkward civilian powers and seizures made her an outcast from her classmates. The vulnerability she displays in both cases makes Hotaru Tomoe a model example for moe, since fans of the series would feel compelled to protect her.

Comiket organiser Ichikawa Koichi has described Lum Invader of Urusei Yatsura as being both the source of moe and the first tsundere.[9]

According to Hiroki Azuma, as Rei Ayanami became a more prominent character among fans, she "changed the rules" governing what people regarded as moe-inspiring. The industry has since created many characters which share her traits of pale skin, blue hair and a "quiet personality".[10]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Born in April (the fourth month, see Tetraphobia) on (allegedly) Friday the 13th, (also allegedly) Butsumetsu, and the same day as a major earthquake, Cherry has referred to him as a carrier of bad luck rarely seen in this world. As he grows up, Ataru became a bane on the town of Tomobiki thanks to his legendary misfortune, which has attracted all kinds of weirdos and aliens. (Note: The only sources giving the year of his birth indicate that he was born in 1967, but April 13 of that year was a Thursday, not a Friday. Also, a rokuyô calculation indicates this date to be a Shakkô, unlucky except within an hour of midday, not Butsumetsu.)[clarification needed Which sources?]

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
These figures originate from Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The name mo‘ai kavakava is formed from mo‘ai for the monumental monolithic human figures found on Easter Island and the word kavakava meaning ribs. Little is known about the cultural context of these figures although they are generally considered to be representations of starving ancestors or demons. It is believed these figures were worn hanging around the neck of the men who took part in the ritual dances during public ceremonies.[1]

German Expressionist Max Ernst was inspired by these figures and their rituals, and they can also be found in the collections of the French surrealist André Breton.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Agnes Nalani Lum (born on May 21, 1956 in Honolulu, Hawaii) is an American gravure idol, singer, actress, and bikini model popular in Japan in the late 1970s and early 1980s.[1][2][3] At that time, she was nicknamed "Lum-chan" in Japan, though now that nickname can be confused with that of the fictional character Lum Invader from Urusei Yatsura. Lum was the inspiration for the name of this character as she was well-known at the time the manga was first released (1977).[4] In order to avoid confusion with Agnes Chan, another popular idol at the time, "Lum-chan" was used, though many fans called both "Agnes". Lum has appeared in numerous calendars, on posters, and magazine spreads, and these items regularly fetch high prices in the collectors market.[1]

this paragraph is the main body of her article :smith:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rei changed all the rules, let me tell you

nothing was ever the same again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Install Windows posted:

i don't think there are any comic writers who wrote in a serif script, so probably never.

countdown to someone (maybe even you????) posting a comic counter-example in 5, 4, 3,

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
with a rebel yell she cried Moé Moé Moé

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/HVD-Comic-Serif-Pro

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/links/news.aspx?NID=6511

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think there are any comic writers who wrote in a serif script, so probably never.

countdown to someone (maybe even you????) posting a comic counter-example in 5, 4, 3,

2, 1

will eisner seriffed it up on occasion

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

2, 1

will eisner seriffed it up on occasion

that looks p classy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Install Windows posted:

that looks p classy

i can't find an example of him doing serifs with the spirit, but here's an eisner homage that tries to get the feel of his lettering down:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Eegah posted:

Moé money, moé problems

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

for more information on gang stalking, please consult your local city council meeting or other government forum where citizens are allowed to speak.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is the gang stalking thing just (actual medical) paranoia?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Collection

from today's did you know section of main page

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

quote:

Amphibious warfare ship (揚陸艦?): Largely useless during combat.

same

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

TINA TURNER posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Collection

from today's did you know section of main page

quote:

Battleship (戦艦?): Have strong power and defense, whilst requiring large quantities of resources. A battleship on either side grants a second attack turn for both the player and enemy fleets.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes. there's a constant debate on the stalking article talk page about it (and by "debate" i mean mentally ill people demanding to have their delusions listed). group stalking - i.e. a number of people stalking a victim - is a real thing. thinking there's a vast conspiracy to oppress you by annoying you in tiny ways, which must be true because you saw three red cars in a row, or the person waiting in front of you at the supermarket coughed is just solipsistic paranoia

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 15, 2014

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lutha Mahtin posted:

straight outta the dm-5 or 6 or w/e

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Leck posted:

for more information on gang stalking, please consult your local city council meeting or other government forum where citizens are allowed to speak.

another victim of gang stalking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1hyqA6UTY

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
cjs: start-of-the-semester clusterfuck ... uh, isn't a clusterfuck ?? :confused:

WHENS THE SHOE GONNA DROP

also cls: blew out my fuckin knee last week lmao drs appt friday

rip walking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i'll see if i can dig up the one i saw locally that started with something to the effect of "as we've seen in movies like the game and the truman show, gang stalking is a terrifyingly real phenomenon"