Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

is it wrong to get irritated when an ide highlights a variable to let me know it's unused even though i just typed the stupid thing out and i'm going to use it in a second? it's not really an error yet, dammit :argh:

it kind of is, you might as well get mad at the sun for shining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it kind of is, you might as well get mad at the sun for shining

only on days when i have migraines :shobon:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

the funny thing is, though, that no matter what you do to try and factor in experience and anticipate the fact that projects take longer than expected, youre still going to (way) underestimate the time it takes for the project to complete

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

every time i try really hard to make an honest estimate and pad it to allow for unanticipated problems, the work takes almost exactly twice as long as i estimated. so now i just estimate everything at two weeks

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Nomnom Cookie posted:

whats the difference between calloc'ing 1 element and malloc + memset

i guess it really depends on the implementation of calloc, but both ways have the problem of setting bits to 0, which is not always a good idea because there is no guarantees that the logical value 0 is represented by 0s in memory, e.g. in the case of doubles

http://c0x.coding-guidelines.com/6.2.6.1.html

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 15, 2014

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

git clone trooper posted:

beep boop i wasted my entire life in front of a computer now I'm neitzches ubermensch

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
today in sprint planning i suggested a couple of changes to our architecture. one can be rolled out slowly as we touch different parts, but the other is a sweeping change that requires a poo poo ton of work.

both were accepted.

oh god what have i done?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got my first largish internal java project running today and besides having to set up an insane mountain of poo poo in maven/svn/sql/eclipse, it's pretty great that it works now

once it's all set up it's pretty straightforward but man

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Morkai posted:

today in sprint planning i suggested a couple of changes to our architecture. one can be rolled out slowly as we touch different parts, but the other is a sweeping change that requires a poo poo ton of work.

both were accepted.

oh god what have i done?

you're moving on up. if everything succeeds: you're a big success and had great ideas. if everything fails: you have architectural experience and have mistakes that you can draw upon as learning experiences

that's how management-types do it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
we hadn't tested the app i have been running after 6 PM for 8 months until tonight when truck drivers were going to use it.

turns out GMT offset means something. my boss had a hardon for sql views, and of course the logic is there and i have no control over the prod db.

i am the worst developer (and my boss who got fired during the layoffs for being a poo poo)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

you're moving on up. if everything succeeds: you're a big success and had great ideas. if everything fails: you have architectural experience and have mistakes that you can draw upon as learning experiences

that's how management-types do it

truth. i have learned so much from my design gently caress-ups

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
this week people started implementing one of my designs for the first time ever (previously i designed -> developed my own poo poo)

i'm scared yospos what if they are dumb or my design sucsk

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

BP posted:

this week people started implementing one of my designs for the first time ever (previously i designed -> developed my own poo poo)

you have your answer if you didn't design it like they were dumb, stop worrying

your design sucks

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

BP posted:

they are dumb and your design sucks but as long as it sucks slightly less than everyone elses poo poo ur good

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

BP posted:

no

worry about what if they're smart and ur design sux and they make a better design and tell ur boss and he's like "woahj i need this guy doing BP's job" and fires u

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
another one of my lovely lecturers last term. gave us an assignment which was making a crawler for C source/header files to make a list of dependcies, written in Java. Half the marks were for a single threaded version and the rest of the marks were available for multi threading. he figured the hardest part would be us having to make thread safe hashmaps and queues. when i informed him there was atleast 1 standard threadsafe hashmap he told me they must have added it in the last couple of months - lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Valeyard posted:

another one of my lovely lecturers last term. gave us an assignment which was making a crawler for C source/header files to make a list of dependcies, written in Java. Half the marks were for a single threaded version and the rest of the marks were available for multi threading. he figured the hardest part would be us having to make thread safe hashmaps and queues. when i informed him there was atleast 1 standard threadsafe hashmap he told me they must have added it in the last couple of months - lol

LOL!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

xD

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

MeruFM posted:

so other than public and private, does anyone use protected or normal?

I was tutoring yesterday, teaching the no-modifier scope and realized i have no opinion on this other than use the smallest scope possible. The student asked why and I had no answer.

Also python __myPrivates

protected is pretty useful for abstract classes isn't it.

i don't know python.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it is, my post was just worthy of this thread
default scope is still weird to me though

Python has no scoping other than import management, everything is public (except when it isn't, talk worthy of the other progrmaming thread). _ and __ are prepended to variables to let people know you shouldn't touch them, one scopes at the import level, the other fucks with the var name so it's harder to use.

lolpython

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
sounds kind of lame but i guess accessing vars with a leading underscore is basically equivalent to loving around with reflection to get at private fields or whatever.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

MeruFM posted:

Python has no scoping other than import management, everything is public (except when it isn't, talk worthy of the other progrmaming thread). _ and __ are prepended to variables to let people know you shouldn't touch them, one scopes at the import level, the other fucks with the var name so it's harder to use.

lolpython

lmao, python is such garbage

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

sounds kind of lame but i guess accessing vars with a leading underscore is basically equivalent to loving around with reflection to get at private fields or whatever.

p much this. theres always a way to break encapsulation if you really want to, the important thing is to make it obvious that you're doing something unsupported whether via setAccessible() or __ or something else

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MeruFM posted:

it is, my post was just worthy of this thread
default scope is still weird to me though

lolpython

you mean visibility, right? not scope

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i wish python had block-scoped variables :(

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
i tried to read learning python once and the first 100 pages or so were about installing python on your computer so i never finished it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
however, if you want to learn python AND have no idea how to use a computer it may be the book for you.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

use a linux and it'll be lots easier hth

oh wait you mean you're too lazy to turn 100 pages? i see

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

use a linux and it'll be lots easier hth

oh wait you mean you're too lazy to turn 100 pages? i see
that was kind of indicative of the pace of the rest of it and i wasn't really up for "baby's first introduction to operators" or whatever. srry

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
installing python and all the cool stuff like scipy on windows is more complicated than it should be

HOWEVER lately I've been using anaconda and it's pretty sweet. heck it makes everything easier even on linux, you don't need to deal with old apt packages or installing poo poo with pip as much.

so yeah, install anaconda and learn stuff using ipython notebook.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i found some lovely distro called xypython or python xy or some poo poo that installs a lovely open sores IDE and all the scipy numpy or whatever poo poo for u on windows apparnetly

but dont use that use VS w/python tools to write ur python its p nice

oh and i think it has easy_install/pip or whatever for installing modules from inside vs

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

or better yet, don't use python at all

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
jetbrains's pycharm seems to install some package-management stuff that makes it relatively easy to install various things. haven't gotten really in depth with it yet, though

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

so yeah, install anaconda and learn stuff using ipython notebook.

seconded, this owns

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

gucci void main posted:

well yeah ofc we'd all use c# all the time if we could but sometimes u gotta fix someones lovely python project

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

tef posted:

you mean visibility, right? not scope
I'm not familiar with the distinction
visibility is variable separation via files?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Also python owns, just don't be cute. And don't use functional stuff when list comprehension works just as well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

Also python owns, just don't be cute. And don't use functional stuff when list comprehension works just as well

list comprehension is an adequate substitute, but i would rather have the really easy block-passing i have in perl or ruby. it's a tragedy that guido thought list comprehension was actually better than traditional lambdas/map/reduce

i am not one of those fp spergs, i can't reason about lambda calculus or the y/k-combinators or really understand half the poo poo on LtU. i just want to write perfectly normal boring code in python the same way i would do it in perl or ruby

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

gucci void main posted:

epic this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

MeruFM posted:

I'm not familiar with the distinction
visibility is variable separation via files?

how are you tutoring people dude

• Locked thread