Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

maev posted:

What's the Goongrogsensus on games like Hearts of Iron?

They're definitely games. Well, maybe not HOI3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Darkest Hour is the best Hearts of Iron game, hands down. But it is more a grand strategy game than a grog wargame (mainly because it has a decent UI). But I would recommend it a million times over 'real' grog grand WW2 games like World in Flames (that was in development for 8 years and shipped with no single-player... and no multi-player :v: ).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

World in Flames (that was in development for 8 years and shipped with no single-player... and no multi-player :v: ).

And a three digit price point.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

World in Flames (that was in development for 8 years and shipped with no single-player... and no multi-player :v: ).

But you can play with yourself :fap:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Basically for hearts of iron they did the classic mistake of trying to make a game that models both strategic military and diplomatic spheres accurately and in hoi3 they managed to cock them both up. I found it fun enough for a playthrough or two but it is extremely easy so you pretty much shoot your wad early and then it just becomes tedious.

If you are only starting out on that long trip down poverty and grog madness and you say, don't know why a german panzer division was so much better than other countries then hoi3 might be ok, but there are better games for learning that are just better games, and if you are already a walking talking jane's combat manual then you should just pick your front with something like war in the east/pacific, etc.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Buy Darkest Hour, download Kaiserreich (really fun "what if Germany won WW1 mod).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Also play http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod TIA.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Darkest hour is a really fun game and if you're interested in HoI get that. HoI3 is a black abyss which consumes all hope so I can'y really recommend picking that up.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I really want to like hoi3. I really like games like the command ops where u actually delegate poo poo to your subordinates like a real commander would. But hoi3 just doesnt click for me.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
What are some good Civil War era wargames for someone who doesn't have a lot of patience for spending an hour+ per turn moving a hundred counters and going mad trying to decipher UIs coded by people who hate players? (i.e. for someone who is only hesitantly a grog, loves Paradox and Unity of Command, and played the hell out of the * General games back in the day)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Strategic Command WW1's Breakthrough expansion has a good Russian Civil War scenario. It's still pretty expansive but totally manageable.

AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege also has a small Finnish Civil War scenario, in addition to the larger Russian Civil War campaigns.

I think there's also an English Civil War mod for Medieval II: TW, if that's more your thing!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not a lot of options on that front:

Strategic level:

AGEOD's American Civil War - one of the better strategic level games about the ACW from a fidelity standpoint, but the UI (and turn-processing) is utter shite, so that's right out.

Forge of Freedom - the simplification of the the strategic layer's rules actually makes this easier to play and deal with than AGEOD at the cost of realism (Grey Hunter's LP of this game was described as "Risk with ACW flavor" at one time), although being stuck at low resolution simultaneously is a big turn-off for me. Probably your best option if you really want to fight out the ACW at this scale.

War Between the States - have not played this, but the fact that it's a Gary Grigsby design probably means there's a lot of counter pushing.

Operational level:

John Tiller's ACW Games / Battleground Civil War - play out ACW battles at a regimental level with turns representing 2-4 hours each. There are, by necessity, a lot of counters to push, but the controls are extremely simple: Order a unit to move, order a unit to deploy from column to line (or vice versa), order a unit to change facing, order a unit to shoot, order a unit to assault in melee. That's about it, which is only really 1-2 orders more complex than Panzer General/Unity of Command. This keeps turns moving quickly as long as you can deal with the large numbers of units that need orders. Some games even come with a rudimentary campaign system where you fight battles in sequential order and which next battle you get is based on past performance.

Take Command / Scourge of War - play out ACW battles at a regimental level in real-time. This one does a good job of representing command-and-control issues of the time if you don't take direct control of everyone (and there are too many of them to do that anyway), with spiffy 3D graphics and a UI that's passable. Think Total War: ACW except with more realism.

Do note that the downside to both games is that they both are segmented into individual battles per title.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mukaikubo posted:

What are some good Civil War era wargames for someone who doesn't have a lot of patience for spending an hour+ per turn moving a hundred counters and going mad trying to decipher UIs coded by people who hate players? (i.e. for someone who is only hesitantly a grog, loves Paradox and Unity of Command, and played the hell out of the * General games back in the day)

If you liked the General series, have you heard of Civil War Generals 2? It's an older game and pretty much abandonware by now, but in terms of grogginess it's roughly on par with the Panzer General games (I'm pretty sure they're not the same company, but they're definitely using something of the same spirit). Pretty good, though I think it's a bit of a bitch to get running on modern systems.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tomn posted:

If you liked the General series, have you heard of Civil War Generals 2? It's an older game and pretty much abandonware by now, but in terms of grogginess it's roughly on par with the Panzer General games (I'm pretty sure they're not the same company, but they're definitely using something of the same spirit). Pretty good, though I think it's a bit of a bitch to get running on modern systems.

This jarred loose a memory- I had, and liked, Civil War Generals 2 (though most of the scenarios were pretty overwhelming). I should try to track that down again. Also when prompted I remembered Grey's LP, and vaguely recall that looking semi-fun as well. This was kind of prompted by me rereading Mcpherson's The Battle Cry Of Freedom and getting my hankering up, so both strategic and operational (The civil war scenarios with TOAW3 are shite, but that's understandable since it's asking the system to do something it's not) games are of interest. Thanks for the suggestions!

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
My War in the Pacific: AE grand campaign is sputtering to a halt, ironically because I'm doing too well.
I sank every fleet carrier except Hiryu in early '42, mostly because the AI kept suicide charging Kido Butai at Java. I literally sank carriers within one hex of Batavia. So whoever undermined my victory by saying the AI is poo poo, I apologize, you were right.
I successfully held Java, most of Sumatra, Port Moresby, and Rangoon. Now I'm working my way up New Guinea, landing troops on Celebes and Borneo, and prepping for an invasion of Rabaul. There's just too little challenge left.

So, for my next step, I'd like to play again on a harder difficulty or with a harder mod. How is Reluctant Admiral? It looks intriguing - Yamamoto has more control over Japanese production and gets fewer battleships, more carriers, and more rational aircraft production.

I'm also up for a PBEM.

Also, what's the best way to take screenshots ingame? I want to take some screencaps in my next playthrough for my blog or maybe an LP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would suggest the Japan Ironman scenarios - Japan gets a bunch of new assets to fight with, period, with no respect to historical accuracy, so that the IJN doesn't sputter out in the first 6 months when you sink all their carriers (because they have another dozen coming up). If you updated all of the scenario files from the Tech Support forum you should already have it. You should also play on Hard.

The Reluctant Admiral mod is okay, but its attempt to be rational/plausible means trade-offs in the Japanese economy and force mix that the AI isn't really prepared to deal with and might cause it to stall out anyway. It was really meant for PBEM.

For taking screenshots, I'm a big fan of ShareX

===

So after having finished reading Shattered Sword, I boot up a copy of the original 1991 Carriers at War and try my hand at the Midway scenario. Vindicator dive bombers from Midway manage to sink the Akagi with 2 bomb hits, but in my attempt to force a single coordinated strike against the Kido Butai I end up driving TF 16 into the arms of Nagumo's surface fleet and the USS Enterprise is sunk by Kirishima. Whoops!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 8, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

While I'm sure that the people at Stormfront are horrible scumbags, being white supremacists and all, Norm Koger formed Storm EAGLE Studios, most famously for their Jutland/Distant Guns games and Steam-wannabe DRM client that actually manages to be better than Matrix and Battlefront and HPS Sims combined.

Sorry I was skimming through the thread and only just check out STORM stormpowered.com. :lol:

Wannabe is too light of a word. I cannot believe that Valve never gave them any crap.

I do like the honesty in bundle names.
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/games/5992/index.asp

edit: wow they even give free manuals (which barring demos kind of help with purchasing decisions)...unlike Matrix.
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/games/5656/manual.pdf

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 10, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a long-shot, but does anyone want to go halfsies on a game of WITP? Split who orders what based on national and/or geographic lines, send the save to the second guy and then the second guy does his thing and runs the inter-turn combat? I've read of a couple of people on the Matrix forums doing this, and I feel like this is the only way I can really commit to a game over time.

In other news, Rockpapershotgun's Tim Stone lead me to this gem: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ The good news - it's (or at least really really looks like) Sid Meier's Gettysburg. The bad news - "Designed by the creator of the popular mod series - DarthMod!"

gfanikf posted:

edit: wow they even give free manuals (which barring demos kind of help with purchasing decisions)...unlike Matrix.
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/games/5656/manual.pdf

Matrix does give out previews/free downloads of game manuals as part of their preview material/in lieu of demos. Not that it really helps much in the case of Wallet in Flames, but it's something.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
To me that sounds like it would make things even more complicated and obtuse, which is quite an acomplishment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

In other news, Rockpapershotgun's Tim Stone lead me to this gem: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ The good news - it's (or at least really really looks like) Sid Meier's Gettysburg. The bad news - "Designed by the creator of the popular mod series - DarthMod!"

The guy's an rear end in a top hat on the modding scene, but everything I've read about Ultimate General (apart from the predictably pretentious title) is that they're going for a true successor to Sid Meier's Gettysburg! Keep things simple, straightforward, and let complexity emerge out of the gameplay.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Hey I know this probably isn't the best way to go about this, but I bought Forge of Freedom and have not been able to play it. It crashes before I can get to the Main Menu. Been all over the website and support to no avail. Pretty much just out $80. I know its a longshot, but did anyone else have any problems with it and surmount them?

I even got the boxed edition :negative:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The guy's an rear end in a top hat on the modding scene, but everything I've read about Ultimate General (apart from the predictably pretentious title) is that they're going for a true successor to Sid Meier's Gettysburg! Keep things simple, straightforward, and let complexity emerge out of the gameplay.

Yes the buzz around Ultimate General is good, and making a game is not like modding one. Hopefully this will mean that he has to stick to realistic and feasible things to do (in terms of game-design). It also means that since he is ultimately responsible for everything he cannot project any failure onto the original game devs and the hardcoded limitations, or any perceived failings about the general modding community.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Because Grey's epic LP thread is less active, I'd like to continue using this as an ersatz WitP thread, if y'all don't mind.

A few issues I don't understand, because the manual is unclear.

1) Bombing altitudes
A) Divebombing - I know dive bombers require a certain minimum altitude to properly dive bomb, instead of 'glide' bombing. What is that minimum? What is the maximum (it seems that up at 18k or so, the Dauntlesses just level bomb)?

B) Torpedo bombing - What is the maximum altitude you can set and still have a torpedo bomber use torps? If I want a TB to use bombs, what altitude should I set against ships? Against ground/base targets?

C) Level bombing - What's the highest altitude I should set without getting crap accuracy with my bombs? How high should I fly to avoid Flak? How high do I need to go before Japanese interceptions weaken?

D) Early war fighters - At what altitudes do early war Allied fighters (P-40s, P-39s, Wildcats) get an advantage over Japanese fighters? How much of an advantage do Allied fighters really get from 'bouncing' or diving on Japanese fighters? How much higher do they need to be for it to go into effect?

2) How am I supposed to read the aircraft replacement screen? I seem to have a hard time telling which planes are still being produced in sufficient quantity to replace my front line squadrons.

3) Pilots - What's the rule of thumb for assigning veteran pilots to TRACOM? How experienced do they need to be? How many should I send? Does it provide a significant benefit?

4) Ground combat - What adjusted AV ratio is required to capture a base? Or does the game use some other arcane calculation?

Thanks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dive bombers will dive bomb if their altitudes are set between 10k and 20k feet. Any lower and they will glide bomb, which is far less accurate.

AFAIK altitude does not factor into whether a torpedo bomber will use torpedoes or not - it depends on availability of torpedoes and range to target. That is, a G4M Betty flying an extended range mission might not carry torpedoes.

On a minor realism note, this is a bit of a quirk: If you're planning a mission from Saigon to Singapore to torpedo some ships at harbor, then you know more or less exactly how far you need to travel and can adjust your load as necessary, but if you were going to try and strike at a task force out in the open ocean, you wouldn't necessarily know - maybe you'll equip bombs to extend your range, but if the TF charged towards your island at full speed, you'd still be hitting it with bombs even if it ended up close enough to be in torpedo-weight range. In WITP, that never happens: The game moves the TF, makes a check to see if the flight of Betty bombers detects the TF and successfully launches a strike, THEN equips the bombers with either bombs or torpedoes depending on the range of the flight. Nothing you can really take advantage of, but it's an aspect of the simulation I found interesting.

For level bombers, I think 8-10k is okay for 4-engine bombers like the B-17, while 2-engine bombers can probably drop as low as 5k. Japanese flak is anemic even when you're in range, and their fighters aren't that much better at killing Fortresses. The important part of managing level bombers is making sure you don't get bombed in return, keeping your aircrews rested and airframes repaired and making sure the airbase is well supplied, has an Air HQ within range or present on-base, and the airfield level is high, to ensure that your flights are big and concentrated.

I'll leave the other questions to more knowledgeable players, but with regards to that last one ...

Ground combat in Gary Grigsby games is a bit of an arcane thing that's not very well explained. A land unit is composed of its component parts of infantry squads, individual tanks, trucks, pieces of artillery, and so on. Every "device" is assigned an Assault Value, but for the most part, the AV is simply a count of the number of devices in a land unit, with little or no relation to how powerful or effective those individual devices actually are.

Say a US Infantry squad has an AV of 2, and a Sherman has an AV of 5 (not in-game numbers). A US infantry division might have 600 AV, and an Armored Regiment might have an AV of 250. If a Japanese infantry division has about the same number of infantry squads and other devices, and if a Japanese Tank Regiment has about the same number of tanks, then the listed AV is also about the same. The calculation is a simple (300 squads * 2 AV per squad = 300 AV), even if you and I and everyone else knows that a Sherman is several times more powerful than a Ha-Go or whatever and that a US infantry squad has a hell of a lot more firepower than its Japanese equivalent.

This is obfuscated even further by the idea that artillery is usually listed as not having AV at all (since it is not "boots on the ground" that can take and hold territory) but rather only ever serves to reduce the enemy's AV via disrupted and destroyed devices.

Anyway, what happens in the back-end is that all of these devices are lined up in two long columns and every device gets to shoot every other device, and the actual difference between a Sherman and a Ha-Go comes into play as far as how quickly the Sherman can approach the Japanese "column" of units, how resistant it is compared to the anti-armor rating of a Japanese infantry squad, and how effective its own anti-armor rating is against the puny Japanese tanks.

At various points during this "simulation", the AV of either side is modified by numerous factors - good defensive terrain acts as a positive multiplier on the defender's AV, a failed leadership check reduces AV, and so on and so forth. As mentioned, any devices that get destroyed or disrupted during combat no longer contributes to AV.

If, at the end of it all, the attacker's final modified AV is twice that of the defender's final modified AV or better, then the base is won. I'm sure you'll have noticed by now that this does not mean that the defender will necessarily be destroyed completely nor retreat out of the hex, and that partial successes still count especially with regards to reducing fort levels even if you didn't get to the magical 2:1 AV ratio.

What does it all mean? It means that the AV numbers on a unit are not really to be used as a basis for evaluating combat. Look at the size of your unit (division, brigade, regiment?), the TOE of the unit (it's a division, but half the squads are dead?), the nationality of the unit (US vs Australian vs Dutch?) and compare it to the size of the enemy that you're facing (as far as you know, subject to recon). Doctrine suggests a 3:1 force ratio on the offense, adjust as necessary to account for terrain and fortifications.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a game that lets me basically play Sim City with an army until I have juuuust the right artillery:infantry ratio and the perfect supply truck setup, then hit the big red "Conquer some fools" button? I hoped HoI3 would be this with research specialization and making a whole army from brigades up but I've been trying to get into it for days now and it's just not fun at all. My gaming budget is roughly €50.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I think you can force TB to use bombs by clicking on the USES TORPEDOES text on the aircraft unit screen.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

I think you can force TB to use bombs by clicking on the USES TORPEDOES text on the aircraft unit screen.

You can indeed.

And you can also confuse the game no end by checking extended range on a squadron with an aircraft type that only supports a single torp OR a single bomb OR an external fuel tank. Swordfish, I'm looking at you. :colbert:

Took me quite a while to realize why those squadrons did nothing with prime targets right on their doorstep.
Might have cost me a BB-kill too.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

2) How am I supposed to read the aircraft replacement screen? I seem to have a hard time telling which planes are still being produced in sufficient quantity to replace my front line squadrons.

Basically take add the production rate and replacement rate, and that's how many planes are added to your airframe pool per month (so a rate of 30 corresponds to roughly 1 per day). The planes are only produced during the period listed in the plane's info screen. This means the Dutch squadrons will eventually be totally empty and useless once their one or two months of planes run out.

The summary for the Allies is you don't get meaningful numbers of replacement for your carrier air groups until April or May '42, and even then, you're pretty short on SBDs. For the Army, you'll run out of non B-24s, and you'll have to be a bit stingy with your P-39s and P-40s until late '42 models come online in reasonable numbers.

To read the screen, I like filtering down to just one airforce at a time, and sometimes even to just fighters or just bombers in that airforce.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Amazon gave me a 500 coin credit ($5?) and school is starting up again, which means I have at least a 30 min commute each way. What's a good touch war game for me to get angry at on public transportation?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

Amazon gave me a 500 coin credit ($5?) and school is starting up again, which means I have at least a 30 min commute each way. What's a good touch war game for me to get angry at on public transportation?

As a tactical wargamer who doesn't possess a tablet I'm most interested in Combat Mission Touch, Battle Academy and, I must admit, Assault Wave for its face to face multiplayer mode even if it isn't a true wargame.

e: Combat Mission appears to be within your budget.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
In addition to those two I would recommend field of glory and the two Shenandoah studios game bulge and typhoon, but only for multiplayer. If you are only doing single maybe panzer corps. I don't know if you can use the extended campaign dlc in the touch version, because that is where the real gold is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Asehujiko posted:

Is there a game that lets me basically play Sim City with an army until I have juuuust the right artillery:infantry ratio and the perfect supply truck setup, then hit the big red "Conquer some fools" button? I hoped HoI3 would be this with research specialization and making a whole army from brigades up but I've been trying to get into it for days now and it's just not fun at all. My gaming budget is roughly €50.

If you didn't like HOI3 (frankly I don't blame you), options are somewhat limited:

Advanced Tactics Gold - let's you build units down to individual squads, but you still have to command them all yourself. I personally ended up not liking it because it was too free-form as far as zero hand-holding on assembling a regiment/division or whatever.

Command Ops - the "real chain-of-command" way of issuing orders is like an advanced, more intelligent version of HOI3 that actually works, but no production.

The Operational Art of War 3 - there's a "Programmed Opponent" mode in the game where you can mark specific hexes as objectives for formations, and coupled with setting their doctrine and then the AI will try to meet those objectives for you. No production.

Distant World / Star Ruler - these two are space-based 4X games in the vein of Master of Orion, except in real-time, but they do have a lot of computer-takeover options AND production, although obviously the setting is different.

Majesty - this is a Fantasy-themed RTS, but it kind of fits as far as the RPG-trope characters are all completely independent and you as a player can only nudge them in certain directions and build up a town to set them up for success.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I suppose in theory there's Supreme Ruler but the games are terrible.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

I suppose in theory there's Supreme Ruler but the games are terrible.

Quite terrible. They used to be fun... I can distinctly remember the most fun I ever had with any of the Supreme Ruler games, it was during the SR2010 beta; and I was in a multiplayer match with 4 people; 2 developers, and one other fellow beta guy. It was developers vs us two beta guys and we were using bugs in the game to beat the developers team. SR2010's release version sucked compared to the beta... and SR2020 sucked compared to SR2010... and all the other poo poo they put out has gotten worse and worse over time culminating with their failed kickstarter for a WWII game last month.

I love their concept; but their implementation really sucks...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dtkozl posted:

In addition to those two I would recommend field of glory and the two Shenandoah studios game bulge and typhoon, but only for multiplayer. If you are only doing single maybe panzer corps. I don't know if you can use the extended campaign dlc in the touch version, because that is where the real gold is.

Shenandoah Battle of the Bulge on ipad and iphone is pretty good single-player and would be my no.1 recommendation for a casual commute wargame. Moscow is strictly MP though.

John Tiller has panzer campaigns on android now - for free. They're a bit unintuitive, but free!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Shenandoah Battle of the Bulge on ipad and iphone is pretty good single-player and would be my no.1 recommendation for a casual commute wargame. Moscow is strictly MP though.

John Tiller has panzer campaigns on android now - for free. They're a bit unintuitive, but free!

Some are free, some are $2.99 - there's also Civil War Battles and Modern Air Power. (Battle of Shiloh is $2.99, MAP and the basic CWB are free.) Link

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Matrix posted:

Hi guys,

instead of a deal of the week this week we are announcing permanent price drops on a wide range of titles across the line up.

In total 37 47 games are being reduced in price including classics such as Empires in Arms, Advanced Tactics, Forge of Freedom and Steel Panthers.

A full list of titles & updated prices is available here

Before you ask, none of the prices here go below the prices offered in the Christmas sale so nobody has lost out by buying in the sale!

I'm listing the post-reduction prices below:

Some okay games in the list I'm putting in italics

Across the Dnepr Second Edition - $29.99
Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition - $29.99
Battlefront - $39.99
Battles In Italy - $39.99
Battles in Normandy - $39.99

Birth of America 2: Wars in America - $14.99
Carriers at War - $39.99
Chariots of War - $14.99
Combat Command: The Matrix Edition - $29.99
Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge - $49.99
Commander - Napoleon At War - $19.99
Crown of Glory: Emperors Edition - $39.99
Empires In Arms - $39.99
For Liberty! - $14.99
Forge of Freedom - $39.99
Gary Grigsbys War Between The States - $39.99
Gates Of Troy - $14.99
Guns of August 1914-1918 - $29.99
Hannibal: Rome and Carthage - $29.99
HISTORY Great Battles Medieval - $19.99
John Tillers Campaign Series - $29.99
Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets - $39.99
Korsun Pocket - $19.99

Legion Arena Gold - $19.99
Napoleon in Italy - $29.99
The Operational Art of War III - $29.99
Officers - The Matrix Edition - $19.99
Revolution Under Siege - $19.99
Spartan - $14.99
Steel Panthers: World at War - $49.99
Time of Fury - $19.99
Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great - $19.99
Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar - $19.99
Uncommon Valor - $19.99
War Plan Orange - $19.99

World War II: General Commander - $29.99
World War One Gold - $29.99

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

matrix posted:

Hi guys,

instead of a deal of the week this week we are announcing permanent price drops on a wide range of titles across the line up.

In total 37 47 games are being reduced in price including classics such as Empires in Arms, Advanced Tactics, Forge of Freedom and Steel Panthers.

A full list of titles & updated prices is available here

Before you ask, none of the prices here go below the prices offered in the Christmas sale so nobody has lost out by buying in the sale!

They literally cannot bring themselves to admit that structured price reductions work, even as they do it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

Steel Panthers: World at War - $49.99

Continues being unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Nenonen posted:

Continues being unbelievable.

Doesn't that game have a bunch of freeware versions? What does $49.99 get you compared to the free version?