Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Not me. Convertibles always look bad with the top up but to me recent 911's look just as weird with the tops down, with those big rears since the engine is in the back. It's retro for retro's sake but what isn't? I liked the 911's in the 80's and between 911's and Corvettes I grew up loving targa's. I'm sure they're not making a ton of those though so it'll be rare and they'll just sell them to a few who want them. I'll be lucky to ever actually see one on the road.

After having a glass targa top on my C5 I really don't want anything else on a sports car, and when the time comes to get a used C7 if I can't find one with a glass top I'll definitely be buying one separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

blk posted:

I really don't care for the new Targa. The silver hoop breaks the rest of the color and shape for me and the top looks expensive to fix - retro for the sake of retro and overengineered for the sake of overengineered. I prefer the look and action of the glass tops.

Rennlist seems to like it.....should be very affordable for the 2nd/3rd owners to maintain post 2020 :smith: that doesn't really matter though
Sonnen in Marin County, CA only was allocated 2 of them so they won't be spotted often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7kLL-9tj0&t=39s

TRUCK CHAT: How are those Ecoboost 3.5's holding up on the 2012-2013 F-150's....they are starting to pop up used now.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 13, 2014

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Wow, this was a quick rollout: http://www.chrysler.com/en/2015/200/

They already have the information and configurator pages up for the 200. Prices seem to be in line with the rest of the segment, and it's especially impressive considering all the crap it already comes with.

On the other end of the auto spectrum, the Z06 seems to have split the Corvette community in two, between the younger fans/track rats and the midlife crisismore conservative buyers. Personally, I think it's a plus for the super vette if the extroverted appearance keeps the stereotypical boulevard crawlers out of them. That being said, the majority will probably never see the track or drag strip, but I think that this turn towards the race-oriented set is still a good thing.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

edit 2: yup

Come on Ford, bring back the Lightning. You've got the lighter body and stronger motor. You can do it. 662 horsepower in a lighter F-150 body? :getin:

We might even forgive you for the Raptor... Maybe

Is every front-engined sports car going to have a clear window in the hood now?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Devyl posted:

I could see them making a 5.0 Ecoboost as the base engine for the next F250+, it'd probably fit nicely in a new Raptor.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Devyl posted:

What's wrong with the raptor? The people who buy it?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Devyl posted:

Is every front-engined sports car going to have a clear window in the hood now?

It's not my thing, nor is the pop up spoiler in the back, but I have zero complaints about the rest of the car, including the nose everyone else seems to hate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

edit 2: yup

Maybe it's just me but that front end is really drat ugly and weirdly generic compared to past Fords. That hexagonal grille looks almost like the one off a Toyota. And don't get me started on the weird half-bar headlights that look ripped off a silver-bar-in-the-face-era Chevy

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
You're not alone, I feel like it's huge a step back styling wise.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Since we're on Fordchat right now, has there been any news about the Bronco coming back? I was talking to my boss the other day and he mentioned seeing the concept for it, prompting me to look it up. I found lots of pictures, but no real information or anything of use.

I dunno, I think it looks kinda cool, in a throwback way.
Also found what I assume is not an offical image of a four door version, which I kinda like.

If they actually kept it true to the 60's/70's styling and make it kinda small, I'd really love it, but I'm sure it's going to be some kinda huge plastic-y bloatmonster of a truck. But a man can dream of small, boxy SUVs can't he?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That concept is about ten years old, and the four door is a photoshop I think. I saw it in person a very long time ago, back when people still wanted to buy SUVs. If it wasn't made then I doubt it ever will be.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ExplodingSims posted:

Since we're on Fordchat right now, has there been any news about the Bronco coming back? I was talking to my boss the other day and he mentioned seeing the concept for it, prompting me to look it up. I found lots of pictures, but no real information or anything of use.

I dunno, I think it looks kinda cool, in a throwback way.
Also found what I assume is not an offical image of a four door version, which I kinda like.

If they actually kept it true to the 60's/70's styling and make it kinda small, I'd really love it, but I'm sure it's going to be some kinda huge plastic-y bloatmonster of a truck. But a man can dream of small, boxy SUVs can't he?

What would this offer that the FJ Cruiser didn't? (Other than visibility past the C-pillars.) That wasn't exactly a smashing sales success. I'd suspect the market for people willing to take the NVH hit for a detachable top is more than covered by the Wrangler.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ATS coupe!

Yeah, that's a red interior.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-favors-cleanliness-over-radical-lines/

Also, according to the press release, it's the lightest car in the segment.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2014

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The F-150's front looks too big, especially from the side and rear views, compared to the rest of the body. It's like the truck equivalent of a bulldog without the benefit of being charmingly ugly.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Powershift posted:

ATS coupe!

Yeah, that's a red interior.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-favors-cleanliness-over-radical-lines/

Also, according to the press release, it's the lightest car in the segment.

If only they made that car available with the 6.2L and the 7 speed manual....heck, even the new 5.3L. They'd have a very legit, higher end mustang competitor. I'm definitely a big fan of the styling, that is a very handsome coupe!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

If only they made that car available with the 6.2L and the 7 speed manual....heck, even the new 5.3L. They'd have a very legit, higher end mustang competitor. I'm definitely a big fan of the styling, that is a very handsome coupe!

v8 is unlikely, but the 420hp/420ft/lb twin turbo 3.6 is likely coming for the ats-v

edit: it will never be a mustang competitor. The V6 ATS sedan starts at $42,020, you'd have to try pretty hard to option even a 5.0 stang up to $42k.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 14, 2014

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Powershift posted:

v8 is unlikely, but the 420hp/420ft/lb twin turbo 3.6 is likely coming for the ats-v

edit: it will never be a mustang competitor. The V6 ATS sedan starts at $42,020, you'd have to try pretty hard to option even a 5.0 stang up to $42k.

A 2014 5.0 GT In Canada starts at 41K, optioned out with all of the luxury bits it's very easy to hit mid 50's. I just priced one up on the Ford website for 53K. At that price range, an alternative like the ATS looks like a serious possibility if you're willing to give up on the power. Although at those price ranges, a C7 Stingray becomes a possibility.

Even if you factor in discounts, which the Cadillac will have available, they are within the same pricing realm depending on the option load. The problem is that we need a mature, V8, RWD coupe that is abit less retro than the Camaro. Hopefully the next Camaro will do the trick since it will be on the same platform as the ATS.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 14, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

What would this offer that the FJ Cruiser didn't? (Other than visibility past the C-pillars.) That wasn't exactly a smashing sales success. I'd suspect the market for people willing to take the NVH hit for a detachable top is more than covered by the Wrangler.

The FJ did OK at the beginning. I think it was more a matter of building poo poo in Japan becoming increasingly expensive, the whole retro styling having limited long term appeal (everyone who wants one has already bought one) and that it was mostly just competing with the 4Runner which was pointless.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I could see the ATS becoming an awesome engine swap candidate down the line

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

A 2014 5.0 GT In Canada starts at 41K, optioned out with all of the luxury bits it's very easy to hit mid 50's. I just priced one up on the Ford website for 53K.

Even if you factor in discounts, which the Cadillac will have available, there are within the same pricing realm. The problem is that we need a mature, V8, RWD coupe that is abit less retro than the Camaro. Hopefully the next Camaro will do the trick since it will be on the same platform as the ATS.

Yeah, but canada gets hosed on optioned up vehicles. The mustang GT starts at 40k before discounts in canada, the v6 ATS starts at 44. The ATS can be optioned up to $57k

And this is still a v6 vs v8. any performance version of the ATS will obviously be more expensive than the standard version. They aren't in the same realm, they will never be direct competitors.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but canada gets hosed on optioned up vehicles. The mustang GT starts at 40k before discounts in canada, the v6 ATS starts at 44. The ATS can be optioned up to $57k

And this is still a v6 vs v8. any performance version of the ATS will obviously be more expensive than the standard version. They aren't in the same realm, they will never be direct competitors.

The really stupid part about the cross border price discrepancies is that the C7 prices are roughly par. A guy can get a C7 vette starting at 53K CAD. Considering the comparable starting prices of the GT and the GT500 up here, that's a hell of a deal.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 14, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Still it's a bit weird not to offered a luxury coupe with a V8, it seems like something people might want when dropping serious cash on a car, especially when that's so easy to get in a pony car. Like, if I were shelling out for a CLK or something, V8 would be non-negotiable.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The ATS is competing with things like the Q60. Cadillac saved itself by realizing it couldn't compete with the likes of MB because of badge cachet, so instead it's competing with markup badges like Acura, Infiniti and Lexus because that demo wants good appliance cars with the benefit of basic luxury fittings and a little excitement (well, except Acura) without caring too much what symbol is on the grill. Some people may still cross shop a CLK and an ATS, and while a V8 ATS-V could win a few over in a year or two, the CLK isn't that threatened. No one is cross shopping an ATS and a Mustang.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

ExplodingSims posted:

Since we're on Fordchat right now, has there been any news about the Bronco coming back?

I liked this photoshopped Raptor-style version

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

The ATS is competing with things like the Q60. Cadillac saved itself by realizing it couldn't compete with the likes of MB because of badge cachet, so instead it's competing with markup badges like Acura, Infiniti and Lexus because that demo wants good appliance cars with the benefit of basic luxury fittings and a little excitement (well, except Acura) without caring too much what symbol is on the grill. Some people may still cross shop a CLK and an ATS, and while a V8 ATS-V could win a few over in a year or two, the CLK isn't that threatened. No one is cross shopping an ATS and a Mustang.

What are you basing this on? Cadillac is competing more directly (and successfully) with BMW than ever with the ATS and CTS. They are also working on a real fullsize RWD flagship on a unique platform to compete with the 7 series.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The ATS coupe looks good. I was hoping we were closer to hearing news about the ATS-V thought.

Has there been any word on the next Camaro? Or are we still a year out from news?
I thought eventually it was going to go on a diet and get on the alpha platform with the ATS?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

To me it looks more like competition for Jeep, which wouldn't be a bad idea since the Wrangler is basically in it's own segment. I'd like to see someone compete with it because quite honestly Wranglers have their own little monopoly right now, the base prices seem goddamn ridiculous to me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wasn't terribly interested in the 911 Targa, am I the only one who just assumed it was a manual T-Top like a third gen F-body?

..because it's actually a power retractable hard top and the whole back end of the car is some kind of transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7kLL-9tj0

:stare:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, that is awesome.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I wasn't terribly interested in the 911 Targa, am I the only one who just assumed it was a manual T-Top like a third gen F-body?

..because it's actually a power retractable hard top and the whole back end of the car is some kind of transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flSx4mrFA7Q

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

My mind is blown by this. A neighbor had this car when I was growing up and I never knew that is how the roof operated.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Does anyone have any more information on the Z06 automatic transmission?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ynotony posted:

My mind is blown by this. A neighbor had this car when I was growing up and I never knew that is how the roof operated.

It didn't, at least not in North America. That was a Japanese option.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Neo Duckberg posted:

Does anyone have any more information on the Z06 automatic transmission?
Here's a few quotes from Tadge Juechter about it:

quote:

What customers really want is a very fast, very responsive transmission, and that's what we've provided. Our new internally designed 8 speed auto is far lighter than the previous 6 speed and any dct that could live behind this engine and we benchmarked the best DCTs in the world for shift speed and quality, and engineered this trans to match and better them.

quote:

It has five modes like the Stingray, the new trans let us do even more, making the modes different. Tour will be gentle, track will be super aggressive. I want to chirp the tires in a straight line.

quote:

The 8 speed is more than 8 pounds lighter than the 6 speed auto, which makes it closer to the mass of the manual transmission. I'm guessing the actual delta is about 20 kilos, but you don't count the clutch mass in the manual. If you count the clutch, the transmission weight just about the same.
He also explained why they went with a supercharger.

quote:

Our original intent was to do an NA engine, we were unable to achieve all of our performance, durability, and regulatory (emissions) goals with NA. We weren't even close. You couldn't just do DI, VVT, no cylinder deactivation, 7.0 liter motor with the increase we would have wanted. New regs could have led to a horsepower decrease.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Throatwarbler posted:

No it's not. The roof is still fabric.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ziploc posted:

The roof is still fabric.

This is what I don't get about the new Targa. All this fancy overengineering that looks amazing, and yet they use a fabric roof rather than a glass or aluminum panel?

I'd still drive it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

This is what I don't get about the new Targa. All this fancy overengineering that looks amazing, and yet they use a fabric roof rather than a glass or aluminum panel?

I'd still drive it.

Oh, you wanted a glass and aluminum panel? Sure thing, that'll be €2000,00, bitte. We also have a titanium and carbon fiber one we can sell you too... it's much lighter... and much more expensive... you really want the ~~**titanium and carbon fiber**~~ one...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hello Miata.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-mazda-mx-5-2015-launch

AutoCar posted:

The new Mazda MX-5 will have “very clean and simple” styling to be what a company veteran calls “our best-looking car ever”.

On sale in 2015, the new MX-5 is tipped to appear early that year at February’s Chicago show, where the original MX-5 was launched in 1989.

The engineering and styling details of the eagerly awaited two-seater are understood to centre on new, more muscular proportions in which the front axle is pushed forward to give a long-bonnet look to emphasise the rear-drive powertrain.

“It is such a good-looking car — recognisable as an MX-5, but with very clean styling,” said an insider.

Design chief Ikuo Maeda and his team have developed a new and unique styling theme for both the MX-5 and its platform twin, the RX-7 coupé. The look is different from that used on Mazda’s hatches and saloons.

During an interview at the Tokyo show last November, Maeda told Autocar that the MX-5 would have its own interpretation of the firm’s ‘Kodo’ design language.

“It won’t be like the Mazda 3 or 6,” Maeda said. “Kodo can express our range in different ways. My intent is to make it tighter looking visually, but still to have a strong presence.”

Maeda also emphasised that the design will not be retro, a reference interpreted to mean distancing the new car from the soft and rounded styling of the original 1989 MX-5.

In practice, the next-gen MX-5 is understood to feature simple body surfaces without the pronounced wheel arch bulges and intersecting styling lines that give the 3 and 6 their unique character.

A significant detail will be a simple face built around a smooth front nosecone and lower air intake — the basic stylistic building blocks that have characterised all three MX-5 models since 1989.

That is likely to mean a lower air intake with a little more angular shaping, rather than the ovoid look of past models.The MX-5 definitely won’t feature the brash, five-point grille of the 3 and 6.

An important new feature of the MX-5 will be a relatively long wheelbase inside dimensions that grow slightly and closer to an overall length of four metres. Today’s model is 3975mm long.

Prototypes of the new MX-5 snapped recently at the Nürburgring can now be seen to show off this extended dimension. Multiple layers of disguise between the scuttle and front axle are intended to disguise it.

The longer bonnet is partly necessary to accommodate Mazda’s new SkyActiv petrol engines, which employ a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold that takes up a relatively long space to encourage free-flowing air out of the combustion chambers to improve efficiency.

The same 4-2-1 exhaust manifold has resulted in the ‘long bonnet’ dimensions of the new 3, whose bulkhead and cabin are pushed back by 100mm compared with rivals.

A new generation of stratified-charge HCCI versions of this engine — tipped to be on sale during the new MX-5’s life cycle — might need an even longer exhaust manifold.

The engines will be naturally aspirated versions of the SkyActiv petrol engine, most likely in 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre capacities, but some markets might take only a single variant.

Early reports suggested that the MX-5 would feature a turbocharged 1.5-litre engine, but Mazda has since decided to concentrate on naturally aspirated engines.

Engineers are confident that Mazda can hit Europe’s fleet average figure of 95g/km of CO2 by 2021 without using forced induction.

The new MX-5 is likely to be launched with much-improved fuel economy figures as Mazda targets efficiency gains of 30 per cent by 2015.

Power outputs for the MX-5 have yet to be confirmed, but expect typically conservative horsepower figures matched to a low kerb weight to deliver a rewarding driving experience.

A kerb weight of just over 1100kg will make the MX-5 lighter than its rivals and Mazda has proven adept at making its recent models the lightest in their class.

Insiders are pulling back from an earlier commitment to hit 1000kg. “That’s a very, very difficult figure to achieve in practice,” said one insider.

Given the competitive price of the MX-5, it is engineered around conventional steel construction, although detailed attention to individual componentry is contributing to weight reduction.

Just like today’s MX-5, the new model is being engineered with two roof mechanisms: a folding metal hard-top and conventional soft-top.

The hard-top will be focused on the European and Japanese markets, the multi-layer canvas top on the US market.

High demand in the UK — Europe’s biggest market for the MX-5 — for the folding hard-top has largely been responsible for keeping the two different roofs in production.

The second generation of the folding hard-top is said to be lighter and packaged more efficiently, delivering slightly improved boot volume.

This sounds more interesting to me now than a used BRZ. I just really like the way it looks, even the squinting headlamps.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 16, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A 1100 kg Miata with ~200hp would be pretty entertaining I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Hello Miata.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-mazda-mx-5-2015-launch

This sounds more interesting to me now than a used BRZ. I just really like the way it looks, even the squinting headlamps.

That's an unofficial rendering not a real design.

It's just made up by a random photoshopper.