Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Graniteman posted:

Has anyone worked with one of these photographer-led tours? I'm really only interested in a tour that will get me to the animals and not any sort of photography workshop, though I guess I'm not opposed to a workshop if anyone has been to a great one.

Last year I went on a photography group tour to Finland to spend four nights photographing brown bears. It was an amazing experience so unlikely an 'normal' holiday. I can't recommend them highly enough. There's a perverse pleasure to be had from knowing instead of doing something sane like sit on a beach and read, you've been dedicated enough to spent 14 hours in a small garden shed and nothing but a bucket if you need a piss. It's also nice to be around other like-minded individuals, even if it's depressing that they all sport 1-series cameras and 500mm primes.

If you're after one of the dedicated photography tour led by a pro wildlife photorapher, you'll probably not find many that go on for as long as three or four weeks. I think the combination of cost and physical strain would deter most potential customers. The only one's that seem to routinely go for three weeks are Falklands-Antarctica.

As a reference, I'm doing a first Ecuador rainforect plus Galapagos trip in a few months. For what is a two week holiday (well, 17 days what with Europe to S.Am travelling) the base cost is 4k GBP / 6.5k USD. Unfortunately it's not a specific photo tour, which would probably cost more on top but would give a better structure for photography; photo ops before sleep, food or anything else. I'll probably have to put up with other guests wanting breakfast or wanting the guide to whiz around the island trails. Galapagos has a strict policy that you must always remain close to your landing party.

Not sure how useful this is, but here's a brain-dump of links (all UK based people).

http://www.northshots.com/photo_tours.asp?ID=69&tour=Face%20to%20Face%20Grizzlies!&dates=217
http://www.naturesphotos.co.uk/pages/workshops-tours-abroad.php
http://www.natures-images.co.uk/pages/holidays.php
http://davidlloyd.net/tours/masai-mara-big-cat-photo-safari/
http://sakertour.com/
http://hidephotography.com/
http://www.elliottneep.com/#!/p/safari-expedition

End of ramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Graniteman posted:

I have a chance to take a 3-4 week vacation later this year and I'm interested in a wildlife photography focused trip. I am limited to mid-July until late September, but I can go anywhere in that time frame. Does anyone have recommendations for trips? I'm game for a guided tour / safari thing, or a self guided hiking (only moderate difficulty hiking though, I'm not a hardcore hiker). Anywhere in the world is fine. I'm thinking about something like madagascar, or the galapagos, or maybe an African safari thing. I don't really have a budget in mind, but several thousand bucks is fine.

Has anyone worked with one of these photographer-led tours? I'm really only interested in a tour that will get me to the animals and not any sort of photography workshop, though I guess I'm not opposed to a workshop if anyone has been to a great one.
My wife and I are off to Africa in August with http://www.cheesemans.com/index.html. You are going to pay through the nose if you want a photography-focused trip to places like Africa. I think your three choices are: 1. pay through the nose for a photography-specific safari, 2. cheap out and get sandwhiched like a sardine with a normal safari, 3. try to arrange something yourself by hiring a guide and arranging your own travel and accommodations (most likely to be robbed and killed scenario).

I guess if you aren't planning on lugging big lenses around the sardine aspect of a normal safari (where they can seat 9 per vehicle) probably isn't such a big deal, but with an outfit like Cheesemans they make sure you're out at the animals for morning light and don't come back until the sun goes down. I would hate to travel to Africa and be stuck with a group of old people who, once they get their ipad shot of a Cheetah, want to move on so they can make afternoon tea.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Early September is the right time to get out to Lake Clark in Alaska for some bear-on-salmon action. An area that is equivalent to about 10% of England but gets a total of 12 thousand visitors a year. Check out Danny Green's selection of photos from this year (near the bottom). I recall they used http://www.silversalmoncreek.com/

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

ElZilcho posted:

Where did you get that picture?, looks too nice and clean to be out in the ocean!

That really is a beautiful picture.

Audubon Aquarium of the Americas.

It took a bit of cleaning up in Photoshop. Here's the original:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I drove 400km from Reykjavik to Latrabjarg to take pictures of puffins and it was amazing. Hundreds of puffins (and a few other sea birds) that would let you get to within 10 feet of them without blinking. We went too early in the year, but I know if you go even further up north as well there's a national park type place with an enormous amount of northern wildlife which is apparently exceptional to see.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Great recommendations!

Pablo, I don't have to do a full three weeks anywhere. The deal is every six years at work I get a six week sabbatical, and I'm planning to do 2-3 weeks with my family in Hawaii then I have the rest of the time by myself to go where I want. I could do a couple of different tours, whatever. I'm US-based so I don't know how useful your links are. I assume since it's not like I'm going to their shop it doesn't matter.

iJunk, the Cheeseman thing looks pretty great to me. The price is high, but I think for two weeks in Africa with the right focus on wildlife (versus dicking around with casual sightseers) I'd be fine with it. If anyone else knows of good tour companies like that please throw them out there please!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I'm US-based so I don't know how useful your links are. I assume since it's not like I'm going to their shop it doesn't matter.
Most of these types of tour exclude the international flight costs, so I don't think they care were you start your journey. The bigger issue with the links I gave is they're more expensive! While Cheeseman do two weeks in Africa for $8k, Natures Images would want $11.5k. 'Is being with award winning photographers worth the extra 3.5k?' is one of those questions that everyone has to answer for themselves.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Some parks in South Africa will let you drive yourself around in a rental car if you would rather do a self-guided tour. It might be a little cheaper and, if it were me, I would rather be more autonomous than stuck with a tour group if at all possible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Just be careful not to drive too close.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just be careful not to drive too close.

Or you might go to a place that does not exist (404)?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Elephant kicks the poo poo out of a car.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That's the one. The BBC have removed their copy of the video for some reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zooming in your hatchback may get you trampled.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Graniteman posted:

iJunk, the Cheeseman thing looks pretty great to me. The price is high, but I think for two weeks in Africa with the right focus on wildlife (versus dicking around with casual sightseers) I'd be fine with it. If anyone else knows of good tour companies like that please throw them out there please!

In January 2012, my wife and I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro then went on Safari through several parks in Tanzania (Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Tarangire). We did the entire thing "privately" through a tour company called Team Kilimanjaro and we found that the pricing to do it with just her and I and a guide/driver wasn't really much worse than doing it as a big group. We were in a pop-top Range Rover and I was able to have the guide stop whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted, so I could shoot. Conversely, we would often see larger groups that were being toured around in closed-window buses, which really seemed like it would be terrible for photography. It wasn't a photo-specific tour, which I'm sure has benefits you wouldn't get otherwise, but I was rarely at a loss for something to take a picture of.

In May 2013, we went to Peru to do the Inca Trail, then spent another week or so in the Peruvian Amazon at a little jungle lodge. We also spent a few nights camping. Again, we did this privately, this time through a company called G Adventures. They offer tours throughout the world, and can easily customize them to be private if you choose.

Next year we are planning to do a trip to Borneo and are planning to use G Adventures again, and I wouldn't have any hesitation using Team Kilimanjaro if we go back to that area. In fact, we recommended them to my wife's cousin who used them just recently for his trek up Kilimanjaro and a short mini-safari.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jtd123 posted:

Next year we are planning to do a trip to Borneo and are planning to use G Adventures again, and I wouldn't have any hesitation using Team Kilimanjaro if we go back to that area. In fact, we recommended them to my wife's cousin who used them just recently for his trek up Kilimanjaro and a short mini-safari.

Thanks for the recommendation. G Adventures looks like a huge operation with a lot of options. That sounds good for finding trips but makes me a little nervous about how good any recommendation can be, since the quality of a tour group and guide will vary among the (apparently) hundreds of tours they organize. I'd trust a review for a specific trip that you went on of course, but I wonder how uniform the quality is across all the tours.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

edit: gently caress

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

jtd123 posted:

In January 2012, my wife and I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro then went on Safari through several parks in Tanzania (Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Tarangire). We did the entire thing "privately" through a tour company called Team Kilimanjaro and we found that the pricing to do it with just her and I and a guide/driver wasn't really much worse than doing it as a big group. We were in a pop-top Range Rover and I was able to have the guide stop whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted, so I could shoot. Conversely, we would often see larger groups that were being toured around in closed-window buses, which really seemed like it would be terrible for photography. It wasn't a photo-specific tour, which I'm sure has benefits you wouldn't get otherwise, but I was rarely at a loss for something to take a picture of.

In May 2013, we went to Peru to do the Inca Trail, then spent another week or so in the Peruvian Amazon at a little jungle lodge. We also spent a few nights camping. Again, we did this privately, this time through a company called G Adventures. They offer tours throughout the world, and can easily customize them to be private if you choose.

well jesus post some goddamned pictures

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Graniteman posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. G Adventures looks like a huge operation with a lot of options. That sounds good for finding trips but makes me a little nervous about how good any recommendation can be, since the quality of a tour group and guide will vary among the (apparently) hundreds of tours they organize. I'd trust a review for a specific trip that you went on of course, but I wonder how uniform the quality is across all the tours.

I agree with you on that point, and I have to assume that even tours conducted in the same country could possibly vary widely in quality and level of enjoyment, largely dependent upon the guide in my opinion. The expertise of the guide has been paramount in my experience. Their ability to spot wildlife, their professionalism, friendliness, and ability to answer all of the questions that tend to get thrown at them over the course of a couple weeks all directly contribute to how good of a time I have. For full disclosure, unless a place is leaking water on my bed/sleeping bag, or there's toxic mold or something everywhere, I'm generally not going to care much about the accommodations; I'm there for the history/wildlife/scenery, so I won't tend to 1-star something because the sheets only get changed every 3 days.

We initially went with G Adventures because a friend used them about 10 years ago and gave a glowing review. It's a little tedious, but Trip Advisor, if you sift through, inadvertently will review guide companies through people reviewing a hotel or attraction that they were brought to by way of the tour, so you can get a pretty good feel for various operators that way as well.

Hope you have a great trip regardless of where you go and who you go through!

voodoorootbeer posted:

well jesus post some goddamned pictures

I very unreliably use 500px, but here's a few from those trips (1-2 may have been posted around here in other threads). Don't want to post too much non-wildlife and hijack the thread. There's also a bunch on my website http://www.johndubicki.com, but I have no idea how to thumbnail them here.

jtd123 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 23, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Muskoxen of Eureka 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
Here is a snake in Taipei zoo.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
omg so adorable

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Black And White Colobus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Stuff from Yellowstone.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
Kudu Cow - Kruger National Park

Kudu by StraightFace, on Flickr

StraightFace fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 21, 2014

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

Chroisman posted:

Here is a snake in Taipei zoo.

Here is another snake in Taipei zoo!

And this is a lizard.

I literally purchased my camera right before going to the zoo so most of my shots turned out rubbish, sadly.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Watchful and Careful by francography, on Flickr

I was happy I ran into this Coyote, i hardly see wildlife in Running Springs.

The Monk
Mar 11, 2008
Not really a big fan of wildlife photography but it was post it in here or the thread about trees. vOv

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Devils Tower National Monument

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
This leopard had an Impala kill stashed in the tree, and kept a weary eye on the hyena loitering close by, image taken into the sun at 6 o’clock in the morning with fill flash. Kruger National Park

Leopard sunrise by StraightFace., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finally more or less figured out how to use my digiscoping rig. This is an Eos M + Canon M-EF adapter + Novagrade digiscope adapter + Alpen scope. Seems OK in the center.

Digiscoped Pronghorn on Flickr

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Baboon by StraightFace., on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
There is a wetland area near me which forms little inlets during low-tide. The birds like to congregate and feed, so it makes for a great place to photograph waterfowl in the morning.

On this particular morning, I found a dolphin strand feeding. The dolphin would herd together a bunch of fish in the river, then force them into the inlet. Then it would continually make passes closer and closer to the beach, flop on his side and flail his tail around to stun/throw the fish onto the shore. Then it would half-way beach itself to eat some tasty fish.

The photos aren't the best since the dolphin was cruising around very fast, and it was hard to know where he would pop up on the bank. But wow, really fun to watch!

I love the fish in this one... "I'M FREEEEE"

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 31, 2014

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Hello these are some pictures I took in my backyard around 5 years ago. I think they are cool, but definitely not as technically impressive as some the pics posted in here.

You can see the window I took these pics from in last guy's eye

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I love squirrels and those are awesome photos.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Not my dog, not a dog I'd met before, unpredictable behaviour (to me). Therefore wildlife.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Oh yay, squirrels! Those are fun to photograph.

California ground squirrels from the Berkeley Marina

On the Humboldt coast, we have Douglas' squirrels, which eat mushrooms when the trees have no cones

The fuzzy end of a fox squirrel

I'm starting to check the Roosevelt elk herds for calves. Nothing yet, but they're enjoying the green grass and Spring weather.