Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

YorexTheMad posted:

I bought Demon's Souls on advice of a friend. It turned out to be my favorite game ever and I told myself I would always trust that friend's taste in games.

That ended after I bought FF13 after he said "no it's good, really."

I bought it because in February of 2009 there was this thread on SA gushing about it and talking about how the Hong Kong release was english voices with optional subtitles. I ended up buying it after reading about it and it was probably my favorite gaming experience of the last console generation.

It's the first and only game I ever imported. Playing the game on the HK servers with the game being new to everyone was quite an experience.

God, Demon's Souls was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TheJoker138 posted:

Minnesota? Cause that poo poo is coming here finally and people will not shut up about it. I had some while I was last in Chicago and was not impressed. Krispy Kreme they are not.

San Francisco. And I was wrong. I was thinking of Ryan liking Tim Hortons. gently caress Dunkin' Donuts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My 2014 prediction made it to the DUMPTRUCK.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Minnesota? Cause that poo poo is coming here finally and people will not shut up about it. I had some while I was last in Chicago and was not impressed. Krispy Kreme they are not.

Best donuts I've ever had come from a little mom and pop Chinese Food restaurant. Dunkin, Hortons, Krispy, and everything else just don't compare.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rodyle posted:

As far as DeS vs DaS goes, DaS is flat out the better game, it cuts out all of Demon Souls more awful ideas like World Tendency or soul form, getting rid of the hub world opens up all kind of room for shenanigans, that kind of thing. That said, DaS DOES sacrifice a lot of the difficulty (just about the only new mechanic that isn't flat out easier to deal with is the use of Estus instead of farmable healing), but I think most of that is getting rid of stuff that's more frustrating than it is fun. DeS also does have cooler looking levels (Latria4Life), although I do think the most striking moment artistically in either game is going over the wall and seeing Anor Londo the first time.

Yeah, I'm playing DeS right now and holy poo poo, world tendency is the most awful grind. Even if you take into account regular multiplayer action, you're still looking at like four invasions/co-op sessions in a row to move the tendency to either extreme. That poo poo takes a long time. It's not required or anything, but why on earth would they hide some content behind it?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I had a cronut a few weeks ago, it was pretty good

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

overtone posted:

Giant Bomb 2014 has been pretty drat awesome so far.

Unless you're not premium, then it's been sporadic at best.

Of course, it was like that when I didn't have premium in 2013 too, but still.

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut
I'm sure anyone who likes Dark Souls has seen this already, but it did get re-uploaded somewhat recently after the initial host account got banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRCKdJKMsI

I don't understand how any video game where something like this is possible can be considered anything less than magical.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm jonesing really hard for that Demon's Souls video having missed it live.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Dunkin Donut's hasn't been good in years when they stopped making the food fresh. Being from NH there's been one every 20 feet for my entire life.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Vargs posted:

Brad's definitely good

I haven't watched the video, but bullshit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Best donuts I've ever had come from a little mom and pop Chinese Food restaurant. Dunkin, Hortons, Krispy, and everything else just don't compare.

There's a place here called Glam Doll Donuts that is pretty kickin' rad and better than Dunkin.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

cheesetriangles posted:

Dunkin Donut's hasn't been good in years when they stopped making the food fresh. Being from NH there's been one every 20 feet for my entire life.

I'm in NH and when I eat Dunkin Donuts it feels like I just ate a lump of coal. It just sits in my stomach and reminds me I ate something bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Whizbang posted:

I haven't watched the video, but bullshit.

He got parrying down instantly and only died once (ignoring the mandatory death) over the entire two and a half hours.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Chinese donuts are amazing, but you have to have them straight out of the fryer or else they're ruined.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chinese donuts dipped in the rice congee oh god

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fallom posted:

Chinese donuts are amazing, but you have to have them straight out of the fryer or else they're ruined.

Are you talking about youtiao? Cause they're so different from Western donuts it seems disingenuous to call them Chinese donuts. They're not donut-shaped, and they're oily instead of sugary sweet. But then I don't have good English names for most Chinese foods. V:shobon:V

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Are you talking about youtiao? Cause they're so different from Western donuts it seems disingenuous to call them Chinese donuts. They're not donut-shaped, and they're oily instead of sugary sweet. But then I don't have good English names for most Chinese foods. V:shobon:V

I'm talking about the thing that I can only get at Chinese restaurants in the US that they list as "Donut." on the menu.

But yeah, they don't come in no ring shape.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Metrodextrous posted:

I'm sure anyone who likes Dark Souls has seen this already, but it did get re-uploaded somewhat recently after the initial host account got banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRCKdJKMsI

I don't understand how any video game where something like this is possible can be considered anything less than magical.

I love that no matter how grim dark the story to Dark Souls is the developers still add just plain silly stuff like the dancing trident and the carvings.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strange Quark posted:

A lot of them just don't translate over well. Like cong you bing, which I guess is like a fried green onion pancake? And there's even a place near me that serves them called Michelle's Pancake House, yet they're decidedly un-pancake-like in all but shape.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fallom posted:

I'm talking about the thing that I can only get at Chinese restaurants in the US that they list as "Donut." on the menu.

But yeah, they don't come in no ring shape.

Well, I don't think there's really any standard English name for them, especially since translations on Chinese menus are suspect at best. Wikipedia at least has several names for them. They're literally "oily sticks" in Chinese, which isn't all that descriptive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Well, I don't think there's really any standard English name for them, especially since translations on Chinese menus are suspect at best. Wikipedia at least has several names for them. They're literally "oily sticks" in Chinese, which isn't all that descriptive.

These are what I'm used to:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Fallom posted:

That looks super similar to Tlingit/Navajo frybread. I mean, the recipe is flour+salt+baking powder+sometimes powdered milk or something, fry in lard, coat with honey/jam/powered sugar.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
For anyone who really likes Dark Souls and Demon Souls you owe it to yourself to check out Bonfireside Chat, which is a goon made podcast about Dark Souls, then Demon Souls, the upcoming episodes will be about Berserk because of its shared DNA of the atmosphere of both games. It is a really well done podcast and usually very funny to boot.

Check that poo poo ouuuut.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fallom posted:

Huh, I'm actually not sure what those are. Are those coated with sugar or have some kind of filling?

VVV It's like there are fifty different things called Chinese donuts. I don't know anything anymore. :negative:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 16, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That's a dagum chinese donut bud

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone who grew up in the suburbs and is used to eating at places with names like CHINA PALACE II and HAPPY CHINA and NO. 1 CHINESE BUFFET, like me, will identify those as "Chinese donuts"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
How loving deep can you go in starforge? What the hell

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

abraham linksys posted:

Anyone who grew up in the suburbs and is used to eating at places with names like CHINA PALACE II and HAPPY CHINA and NO. 1 CHINESE BUFFET, like me, will identify those as "Chinese donuts"

Yeah, and that's what the actual Chinese people at KING SUPER BUFFET and GARDEN MOON put on the little signs so it must be right. That is a "Chinese donut".

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
China King buffet would never lie to me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fallom posted:

This is not what you dip in the congee at breakfast :(

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Scoops is pressing onwards through Sen's Fortress right now: http://www.twitch.tv/patrickklepek

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I live on a road called Route 88 and there are so many Chinese food places due to the the superstition of the lucky number 8.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

This is not what you dip in the congee at breakfast :(

Do not care

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"Oh man, Anor Londo? All I know about this place is that this is where Justin McElroy said he gave up on the game."

Of course it is.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
It is awesomely infuriating how plodding and tepid Brad progresses through the game with almost identical controls to Dark Souls.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

"Oh man, Anor Londo? All I know about this place is that this is where Justin McElroy said he gave up on the game."

Of course it is.

He also made a song about it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

steakmancer posted:

It is awesomely infuriating how plodding and tepid Brad progresses through the game with almost identical controls to Dark Souls.

Yeah gently caress that guy playing it the way most people play their first souls game. Slow, sheild up all the time, sorcery or pyromancy. loving cheat code babies, ya feel? Not like us hardcore gamers though.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Vinny read my name and comment on stream, ownzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

steakmancer posted:

I'm pretty sure you would have killed yourself if you watched me play through Blight Town the first time. It took me forever to reach the ground even though I didn't die because I was so afraid of the place after hearing how it sucked.

Turns out it actually isn't bad when you're playing on a high end PC after the infinite spawns were taken out and wearing that rust ring.

• Locked thread