Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Made another Vieux Carre today, served straight up.

God.drat.

Added a single dash of pernod as well for a little anise kick because I love anise. This is just a beautiful cocktail that marries seemingly discordant group of ingredients in a manner that is reminiscent of a last word. To me a last word is delicious but still carries an air of restraint to it, every ingredient is held in check and nothing runs wild. In a VC, it's balls to the wall but not overwhelming. The flavors from the rye come screaming through, including ones I've overlooked before like mint and a dusty milk chocolate. The cognac contributes a summer fruit flavor, the benedictine provides a touch of sweetness to prevent the whole affair from becoming too dry. This is an equal parts cocktail that demands quality ingredients. If the vermouth was too sweet or the rye too soft I could see the whole thing collapsing and becoming a discordant, flabby mess. Next month I'm going to try with a High West rye, because some of their offerings look too good to pass up.

It's easily my new favorite cocktail, it just feels so goddamn jaunty. It's not really like anything I've tasted before either, if anyone has the ingredients to make one I urge you to do so. I've got a list of cocktails that I want to work through, but I keep thinking that I'll start after another VC. That says alot.

Also made a Negroni with Beefeater. At first I would have said that Bluecoat was a far superior gin in a negroni, but I think the key to the cocktail is the vermouth. Even though Beefeater is arguably a lower quality gin than Bluecoat, it tastes better to me in a Negroni and I think that's because I'm using Cinzano vermouth, with as I've previously stated is my favorite thus far. In an equal parts cocktail with multiple ingredients, perhaps an aggressive london dry gin like Beefeaters is better suited for the task than the more delicate Bluecoat. I'm ok with being wrong, a bottle of Blue is 20 bucks, a 1.75 of Beefeater's is 25. The citrus in the Beefeater appears more prominent here as well. Having never really hosed with Beefeater before, I'm a big fan now. I can easily see this being a good workhorse gin, alternating with Bombay depending on what's on sale.

I'm going to throw it in a Martinez next, don't know if I'll roll with Cointreau or Maraschino though.

Side note...where the gently caress do some of these cocktail bloggers get their info? I just read two separate postings where the author was quite emphatic about a Manhattan being traditionally served on the rocks. I'm a very easy going bar customer, but if someone hands me a manhattan with ice in it, I'm handing it right the gently caress back.

I also made the unfortunate mistake of reading about a Manhattan being made with Maker's Mark, a ton of simple syrup, cherry juice, muddled cherries and more cherries for garnish. Drink a loving cherry juice box and that point ugh.

My knowledge of cocktails is extremely limited but even I know not to gently caress with some poo poo.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Side note...where the gently caress do some of these cocktail bloggers get their info? I just read two separate postings where the author was quite emphatic about a Manhattan being traditionally served on the rocks. I'm a very easy going bar customer, but if someone hands me a manhattan with ice in it, I'm handing it right the gently caress back.

I also made the unfortunate mistake of reading about a Manhattan being made with Maker's Mark, a ton of simple syrup, cherry juice, muddled cherries and more cherries for garnish. Drink a loving cherry juice box and that point ugh.

My knowledge of cocktails is extremely limited but even I know not to gently caress with some poo poo.

I've always understood that a Manhattan can be served up or rocks.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
It's foggy and dreary here today and I'm feeling a touch under the weather, so I decided to try a new brandy based cocktail when I got off work.

Brandy and whiskey are medicinal right?

Made a Saratoga.

50 ml laird's 100 proof apple brandy
50 ml Rittenhouse Rye
50 ml Cinzano Vermouth
3 strong shakes of Angostura

I was debating throwing the Remy Martin VSOP in there because so far I've only used it in the Vieux Carre and I'm still working out the flavors, but gently caress it I like apples too.

This cocktail pretty much justified the lairds on it's own. The apple flavor mixes incredibly well with the spice of the rye, and once again the Cinzano holds up it's end admirably. Two 100 proof ingredients give it a little bite which I enjoy. Just a nice little drink to down before bed.

A modest proposal for the ladies and gentlemen of this thread...Why don't we do a cocktail of the month?

Here's my idea. Say we start with a Negroni. A nice classic cocktail, the ingredients are pretty common in most decent home bars and even if you have to go out and buy everything fresh, it's not that expensive and everything in it can be used in a ton of other things. We each go and make one, but the ingredients are probably going to differ. Say I used Beefeater and Cinzano, and some one else goes hard with it and uses Old Raj and Carpano. We each say what we're using, our proportions and our thoughts on the taste. Nothing too fancy, but each month someone picks a different cocktail.

I've started a similar theme in the men's fragrance thread where we take turns picking a scent for the month, everyone buys it and posts their thoughts on it. It's fun because everyone takes a turn, and some of the suggestions are out of left field so it's not boring.

Just a thought!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'd be in for that but I'd emphasize the need for common ingredients. I'll be hosed (or have to make something myself) if something calls for orgeat, rose water, agave syrup, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

rxcowboy posted:

50 ml laird's 100 proof apple brandy
You're going to have to explain what that is including pictures, because Laird's also makes a godawful "rare apple brandy" with a label that admits it's 35% apple brandy and 65% neutral spirits. I've heard they have other versions that are the real thing, but they're not available in my state.

Edit:

Based on some blog entries and the fact that Laird's is the parent company, I now suspect that this:

Is the same as the second bottle from the left:

I've been warned off from the Laird's Applejack. I've had the Laird's "Rare Apple Brandy," so named because you'll rarely taste any apple. Do not buy it; that's the one that's apple-flavored vodka.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 15, 2014

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

rxcowboy posted:

A modest proposal for the ladies and gentlemen of this thread...Why don't we do a cocktail of the month?

Sounds good, getting some inspiration from the more experienced members of this thread would be ideal. I'm up for some more esoteric ingredients provided there are enough recipes for us to use it for.

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I'm struggling to justify using more expensive ingredients in my cocktails these days. I bought a bottle of Martin Miller gin - probably about 30% more expensive than my usual Beefeater - but couldn't tell any difference in a Negroni or other mix. I think the only thing I would go for is a high proof bourbon for an Old Fashioned (like WT101), but everything else I'm sticking to mid-range ingredients from now on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I have decided, I will one again try to make a good old-fashioned, because every attempt has so far sucked royally. It's a pinch of sugar, enough bitters to disolve, and bourbon right? Nothing else?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I have decided, I will one again try to make a good old-fashioned, because every attempt has so far sucked royally. It's a pinch of sugar, enough bitters to disolve, and bourbon right? Nothing else?

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like this recipe, and people who think citrus is an affront to Ye Olde Fashioned can go cry into their fedoras. A lot of people will (rightly) tell you that an Old Fashioned is delicious with rye instead of bourbon; it depends on whether you want the nutty spice of rye whiskey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

You're going to have to explain what that is including pictures, because Laird's also makes a godawful "rare apple brandy" with a label that admits it's 35% apple brandy and 65% neutral spirits. I've heard they have other versions that are the real thing, but they're not available in my state.

Edit:

Based on some blog entries and the fact that Laird's is the parent company, I now suspect that this:

Is the same as the second bottle from the left:

I've been warned off from the Laird's Applejack. I've had the Laird's "Rare Apple Brandy," so named because you'll rarely taste any apple. Do not buy it; that's the one that's apple-flavored vodka.

I'm sorry to say that you sir know nothing about Laird's. Their applejack, on the far left of your picture, is 35% apple brandy and is indeed pretty lackluster. It is also their only expression blended with NGS. The Bonded, second from the left, is their 100 proof expression and is intensely appley. The second from the right is a 7 year old expression I haven't tried, but the far right, the Rare Apple Brandy, is a 12 year old spirit which still ranks as one of the finest bottles I've ever purchased. Something like 70 pounds of apples go into the production of one bottle, and you taste every goddamn one (along with a velvety richness from the time spent resting in oak).

Laird's saved American apple brandy during and after Prohibition and I will not have their good name besmirched.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I'm struggling to justify using more expensive ingredients in my cocktails these days. I bought a bottle of Martin Miller gin - probably about 30% more expensive than my usual Beefeater - but couldn't tell any difference in a Negroni or other mix. I think the only thing I would go for is a high proof bourbon for an Old Fashioned (like WT101), but everything else I'm sticking to mid-range ingredients from now on.

I've thought the same, which is why I started mixing cocktails at home in the first place. I wanted to see if I could justify paying more for "top shelf" liquor at bars, mainly for gin & tonics. So I bought many different bottles of gin, each varying in quality and brands, and was pretty stunned at the differences. If the flavor profile of the base liquor is similar, the difference might not be as apparent in a very strong drink like a Negroni. You should definitely be able to taste the difference in any type of gin highball though.

Not just the gin, but higher quality mixers (especially tonic water) also make a very large difference. The taste of a gin & tonic that's made with a soda gun vs one from a fresh bottle is astronomical.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like to muddle an orange peel with the sugar and bitters to add a nice citrus touch. Also prefer rye over bourbon as the bourbon and sugar tends to feel sweeter than it should, and bitters seems to play better with rye than bourbon.

If I'm making the fruit cocktail version, I also always strain it before serving as well, since I loving hate bits of crap floating in my drink.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

tynam posted:

I like to muddle an orange peel with the sugar and bitters to add a nice citrus touch. Also prefer rye over bourbon as the bourbon and sugar tends to feel sweeter than it should, and bitters seems to play better with rye than bourbon.

I'm not averse to muddling orange peel in a bourbon old fashioned, but try twisting a strip of lemon zest over a rye old fashioned. It seems to match he spirit better for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

There's a relatively popular Gin in Ohio called "Watershed Gin" which has a flavor profile that is super unique, throwing that in a french 75 or a negroni completely transforms the drink. Dogfishhead makes a hop infused Gin which does a similar thing. Just an example, but I think you should be going for the more radical flavors first and then move to the more subtle.

For your bourbons do not worry about proof first, rather the rye/wheat percentage.

Try at a bar first if you can, make martinis, love gin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So old fashioned was meh. At least it wasn't that bad.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

Having a 'Cocktail of the Month' could be fun way for beginners to get exposure to some of the fundamental drinks and for the experts to show off their modified versions. We would probably need to stick with the classics and make sure that it is not something that requires a niche ingredient that most people don't have.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So if a bunch of people are down, I would propose that the cocktail of the month for February be The Martinez. I think it's criminally underrated, and each ingredient is common, inexpensive and can be used in many other drinks. Any objections?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So old fashioned was meh. At least it wasn't that bad.

What did you use to make it, and what is your normal drink of choice?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

So if a bunch of people are down, I would propose that the cocktail of the month for February be The Martinez. I think it's criminally underrated, and each ingredient is common, inexpensive and can be used in many other drinks. Any objections?

None at all! For the neophytes out there and people who will be purpose-purchasing ingredients, I recommend a juniper-forward gin, such as Tanqueray, Broker's, or Junipero (Ransom Old Tom and Hayman's Old Tom are actually more historically correct, but they're harder to find and more expensive), and a quality sweet vermouth. In descending order of sweet vermouth preference I recommend Dolin Rouge, Vya Sweet, Cinzano Rosso, and then everything else. I don't recommend Carpano Antica, since in a Martinez it will just totally clobber everything. It will be delicious, but mostly just because Carpano is itself delicious. The maraschino liqueur is not optional.

Based on my Google searches the online Martinez recipes vary wildly. Here's the down-low:

Martinez

1 oz. gin
2 oz. sweet vermouth
dash maraschino (call it a tsp)
2 dash Angostura

Stir, strain, coupe, twist. Enjoy.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

None at all! For the neophytes out there and people who will be purpose-purchasing ingredients, I recommend a juniper-forward gin, such as Tanqueray, Broker's, or Junipero (Ransom Old Tom and Hayman's Old Tom are actually more historically correct, but they're harder to find and more expensive), and a quality sweet vermouth. In descending order of sweet vermouth preference I recommend Dolin Rouge, Vya Sweet, Cinzano Rosso, and then everything else. I don't recommend Carpano Antica, since in a Martinez it will just totally clobber everything. It will be delicious, but mostly just because Carpano is itself delicious. The maraschino liqueur is not optional.

Based on my Google searches the online Martinez recipes vary wildly. Here's the down-low:

Martinez

1 oz. gin
2 oz. sweet vermouth
dash maraschino (call it a tsp)
2 dash Angostura

Stir, strain, coupe, twist. Enjoy.

Are you sure about the amount of vermouth? I have never seen it in that high a ratio compared to gin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

What did you use to make it, and what is your normal drink of choice?

Bulleit Bourbon, Boston Bittahs, and regular simple syrup.

2oz of the bourbon
dash of bitters
a little bit of ss.

Personally, I enjoy alot of cocktails. For bourbon, I try using whiskey sours or manhattans.

EDIT: I second the Martinez thing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Devoz posted:

Are you sure about the amount of vermouth? I have never seen it in that high a ratio compared to gin.

That's the Martinez baby. It's why you'll want to use a good, fresh vermouth.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Remember, vermouth is your friend.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I have always made mine as follows:

1.5 oz. Gin
1.5 oz. Sweet Vermouth
.25 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

I will have to give your version a try, may the best Martinez win.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
For the more modern palate, if you want flip the ratio of vermouth to gin so it's 2oz of gin to 1 oz of vermouth and a bar spoon of maraschino. I prefer my gin cocktails to be a little less sweet, so I also use a London dry in place of an Old Tom.

However in the interest of science I'm going to track down a bottle of Carpano and a bottle of Old Tom and extensively research how each tastes.

For science.

Edit: I'm already happy with how this is going. One drink, three versions so far. Make sure you all state which brands you use as well!

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

For mine I am going to use Wormwood bitters, and an unfiltered gin to make mine special (And I will do it tomorrow night because I've already had my one for the night).

EDIT: Brand for both bitters and gin is Dillon's. Vermouth is basic Martini and Rossi Red.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

For the more modern palate, if you want flip the ratio of vermouth to gin so it's 2oz of gin to 1 oz of vermouth and a bar spoon of maraschino. I prefer my gin cocktails to be a little less sweet, so I also use a London dry in place of an Old Tom.

However in the interest of science I'm going to track down a bottle of Carpano and a bottle of Old Tom and extensively research how each tastes.

For science.

Edit: I'm already happy with how this is going. One drink, three versions so far. Make sure you all state which brands you use as well!

If you can still get a hold of a bottle of Tanqueray Malacca, it makes the best goddamn Martinez. It provides the gin backbone you need while really letting the vermouth shine.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any order recommendations for which gins I should use for trying out the different recipes? I am planning on opening a new bottle Cinzano sweet vermouth for this little experiment.

Citadelle
Broker’s
Hendrick’s
Beefeater
Bluecoat Gin
The Botanist
Sipsmith London Dry
Hayman's 1850
Bols Genevere

A month ago I had friends over for a gin and tonic taste tasting day. We used 8 of the gins, and Fever Tree Indian, Fever Tree Mediterranean, Q Tonic, Fentimens Tonic, and Naturally Light Free Tree Indian. We would pick either 1 gin with all of the tonics, or one tonic with all of the gins. The winning combination changed greatly from test to test.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love Hendrick's more than my family, but it is not a very versatile gin. It gets lost pretty easily and is meant to stand on its own with maybe some light mixing to accent it rather than be a flavor base. And I have found that Bombay/Beefeater are solid workhorse gins depending on which you prefer/is cheaper. And don't be afraid to play with Seagram's, it is inexpensive and I find it adds a nice sharp gin background to tart fruit-forward drinks (particularly cranberry) that tend to overwhelm Bombay. And Seagram's also makes a dandy base for cherry infusion when they are in season.

E: I'll make a Martinez right now with M&R rosso because I have a recently opened bottle in the fridge. Don't know if I am going the rotgut route with Cossack gin for kicks or Beefeater. Will decide in a moment.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 16, 2014

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Hebug posted:

If you can still get a hold of a bottle of Tanqueray Malacca, it makes the best goddamn Martinez. It provides the gin backbone you need while really letting the vermouth shine.

I have an unopened bottle of Malacca at home, will do this tonight. Wish I still had some No. 3 left but oh well.

For science.

edit: I think I still have some Sapphire in my freezer so will make one using that for comparison

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 16, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How the gently caress do you have an unopened bottle of Malacca? That poo poo is delicious.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
It fills me with great pride to be surrounded by such scientific minded gentlemen.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kenning posted:

How the gently caress do you have an unopened bottle of Malacca? That poo poo is delicious.

Found it randomly at the store and have been keeping it for something special. I guess science is special enough, been meaning to pick up more maraschino anyway.

Just to add some more variety to what's already been posted, not that it's some kind of authority, but the Martinez recipe in Top Shelf calls for:
-1oz gin
-1oz dry vermouth
-1 dash orange bitters
-maraschino cherry garnish

Not quite sure what I'll try tonight, probably just mix and match and see what happens.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

1 oz. Beefeater

2 oz. Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth

1 tsp. Luxardo maraschino liqueur

A couple dashes Angostura bitters. Almost wound up with ALL OF THE BITTERS when the dropper plug fell out as I was gearing up to dash.

Lemon twist after stirring/straining/serving in a chilled martini glass. It is not as sweet as you might expect, the Beefeater is a supporting role to yummy vermouth that has the edge taken off with the maraschino that plays very well with the whip drink. If I had used better vermouth, this drink would go from "refreshing and terrifyingly quaffable while still complex" to "holy poo poo :stare:"

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

1 oz. Beefeater

2 oz. Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth

1 tsp. Luxardo maraschino liqueur

A couple dashes Angostura bitters. Almost wound up with ALL OF THE BITTERS when the dropper plug fell out as I was gearing up to dash.

Lemon twist after stirring/straining/serving in a chilled martini glass. It is not as sweet as you might expect, the Beefeater is a supporting role to yummy vermouth that has the edge taken off with the maraschino that plays very well with the whip drink. If I had used better vermouth, this drink would go from "refreshing and terrifyingly quaffable while still complex" to "holy poo poo :stare:"

E: Don't skip the bitters, the whole thing would be flat like day old cola without them.

E2: damnit. Double post stands because quote may not be edit but I am too lazy to dick with it and am going to bed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

It fills me with great pride to be surrounded by such scientific minded gentlemen.

More of an art than a science. Alchemy for neckbeards.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

zmcnulty posted:

Found it randomly at the store and have been keeping it for something special. I guess science is special enough, been meaning to pick up more maraschino anyway.

Just to add some more variety to what's already been posted, not that it's some kind of authority, but the Martinez recipe in Top Shelf calls for:
-1oz gin
-1oz dry vermouth
-1 dash orange bitters
-maraschino cherry garnish

Not quite sure what I'll try tonight, probably just mix and match and see what happens.

That's just a recipe for a very very old style martini garnished with a cherry. I don't know who's peddling that as a Martinez but it sure as hell ain't the Martinez of lore.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

I have an unopened one for backup. Does that count?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just got home, made a martinez.

100 ml Beefeater Gin
50 ml Cinzano Vermouth
20 ml Cristani Maraschino
3 dashes Peychaud's bitters.

God I love this cocktail. The lively herbal nature of the gin is perfectly matched with the vermouth. The sweetness of the vermouth doesn't diminish the crisp nature of the gin, nor does the gin overwhelm the vermouth. The maraschino gives a certain depth and funk to the drink, the almond coats the tongue. I like the Peychauds in this drink, I find them brighter and more lively than Angostura. I also get a faint anise note from the Peychauds which I enjoy.

This truly is the missing link between the Martini and the Manhattan. It's sweet but not too sweet, it's got a good mouth feel without feeling cloying or syrup like. The juniper nature of the gin is still apparent on the nose, and the lively herbs are still present on the palate. It goes down smooth, but doesn't feel like "babby's first cocktail." I can't think of anything I'd change about it, it's just a drat fine drink.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Anyone tried Beefeater 24? Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

I'm sorry to say that you sir know nothing about Laird's. Their applejack, on the far left of your picture, is 35% apple brandy and is indeed pretty lackluster. It is also their only expression blended with NGS. The Bonded, second from the left, is their 100 proof expression and is intensely appley. The second from the right is a 7 year old expression I haven't tried, but the far right, the Rare Apple Brandy, is a 12 year old spirit which still ranks as one of the finest bottles I've ever purchased. Something like 70 pounds of apples go into the production of one bottle, and you taste every goddamn one (along with a velvety richness from the time spent resting in oak).
I stopped by the liquor store on my way home and examined their bottles of the 7.5yr Old Apple, looking to prove you wrong. They didn't attest to anything but brandy, but I would swear up and down that the last time I bought a bottle, hoping for a more premium product than Captain Apple Jack, the back of the label said that it contained neutral grain spirit. It certainly tasted like it--a harsh nose and a rough alcoholic taste with mild apple flavour poorly balanced on the top. All I can figure is that whatever dilution process they use to get the 80 proof is really hurting the flavour just as Wild Turkey 80 is said to be inferior in taste to the 101.

I suspect that Captain Apple Jack BIB is just the label they put on Laird's Bonded in VA. It's much, much better than the 7.5yr I had, for less money. (It wouldn't surprise me if there was some monkey business with the labeling on the Old Apple that explains my band experience. I'd sure love to try that Rare Apple, but despite the fact that they have a distillery about 20 miles from my house, you can't buy it here, not even through a special order catalogue. I think there may be brief intervals where it's available on special order, but that makes it virtually unobtainable. Didn't see it in Delaware, either.

Have you ever tried Carriage House Apple Brandy? It's the only other apple brandy available in this state. Supposed to be from a small, reputable NC distillery, but what I've read about the product is wildly mixed.

angor posted:

Anyone tried Beefeater 24? Opinions?
IME, it is good but not actually better than regular Beefeater. In fact, the regular gets higher ratings in competition.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 16, 2014