Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Manu without a beard looks weird.

The mirakuru is destroying his facial hair, that's why he's going insane :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Adnor posted:

The mirakuru is destroying his facial hair, that's why he's going insane :negative:

Is the only time we've seen Ollie clean shaven during the pilot?

E: And on that note, I got a good snicker that Officer Lance sees enough of Arrow's face to immediately note the new mask but still cannot place the face.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo! Laurel just became interesting!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Manu without a beard looks weird.

He did not have one in Spartacus Season 1

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Was that like a ceramic Deathstroke mask? poo poo looked great.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This was the best Laurel episode in a long time. She wasn't stupid about Blood even after her dad told her to just chill, and she got useful information because of it. Hopefully this is a new trend of her being a more interesting character. Her face is pretty triangular, though.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kruller posted:

Her face is pretty triangular, though.

An a-cute triangle?

:negative: That's both incorrect and inaccurate.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have a screen cap of Slade's new getup?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Anyone have a screen cap of Slade's new getup?

He is beyond Death's stroke now

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

soapgish posted:

An a-cute triangle?

:negative: That's both incorrect and inaccurate.

It's entirely correct if we assume that a-cute means the opposite of cute, like amoral.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

It's entirely correct if we assume that a-cute means the opposite of cute, like amoral.

Nice!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

He is beyond Death's stroke now

This is loving badass, but man I can't get over that extra dark part of the black half. It's probably just a quirk of the lighting, but it looks super weird.

I can't loving wait for next week's episode. I need to see this in motion (for more than a second)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

This is loving badass, but man I can't get over that extra dark part of the black half. It's probably just a quirk of the lighting, but it looks super weird.

He has one eye, and any light reflecting from his blind side could cloud his vision, so it's to absorb light? I don't know, but it's indubitably something along those lines.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

It's just an indentation where a slot for an eye should be, so yeah, basically a quirk with the lighting it should look awesome in motion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This episode wasn't as super exciting as the cliffhanger, but it had a decent enough plot and am I wrong and that guy is a established DC villian? The Bomb guy?

Did not see the end coming at all, that's going to be super intersting.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Can someone post a link to the preview for next week's episode?

edit: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2LwEMOK0XQ

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 16, 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Hollismason posted:

*Arrow and Alderman Blood greet like they're in PREDATOR*
*mask goes on*
ARROW: What did you do with our next mayor?!

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hollismason posted:

This episode wasn't as super exciting as the cliffhanger, but it had a decent enough plot and am I wrong and that guy is a established DC villian? The Bomb guy?

The bomb guy is meant to be Shrapnel who's power is exploding and reforming himself after, obviously a pretty different take but it'll do for a one off villain of the week.

I have to say over all I'm pretty happy with how Arrow is handling the episodic vs serial format. We get a villain of the week plot with each episode but it's always in a way that builds towards the ongoing season arc.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yes, Laurel is finally doing things. The drug-addiction subplot is a little excessive, but there was limited groaning with her appearance. Glad the writers are stepping their game up with Laurel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I may have missed it but did anyone pick up on her dad mentioning he "lost" his painkillers. Obviously part of the Laurel pill plot but at least subtle.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I may have missed it but did anyone pick up on her dad mentioning he "lost" his painkillers. Obviously part of the Laurel pill plot but at least subtle.

If you pause and look closely at Laurel's pill box it's got Quentin's name on it too.

They did something similar when Roy was trading a box of champagne bottles for information and later Thea was yelling at her delivery guy over a missing box.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's just wrong to take the mans Pain medicine. She's a monster!!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Next week's episode, Blind Spot, is supposed to be "Laurel's episode" by the way. So that'll be interesting!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

If you pause and look closely at Laurel's pill box it's got Quentin's name on it too.

They did something similar when Roy was trading a box of champagne bottles for information and later Thea was yelling at her delivery guy over a missing box.

Hahahah drat, that pill bottle is subtle; I had no idea it was his. The alcohol was way more blatant (still well handled, of course)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Next week's episode, Blind Spot, is supposed to be "Laurel's episode" by the way. So that'll be interesting!

:negative:

Lets just hope by "Laurel's episode" it means the one where she dies. She finally got relevant to the plot, but she's still extremely annoying. All the scenes with her are significantly lower in quality than everything else in the show.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The endless complaining about Laurel is more annoying than Laurel is. It's not impossible to make Laurel work, and her investigation seems potentially interesting, so no need to complain before we, you know, see it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I thought Laurel was perfectly fine in this episode, for the record. She's still really awkward around Ollie, but her investigation seemed good enough.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Kinda sloppy for Sebastian to just leave his fake aunt hanging around for Laurel or anyone else to find. I mean, how did he even convince people she was his aunt? "Now look, she seems like my totally sane mother but forreal guys, she's actually my aunt with no existing records whatsoever!" :tipshat:

It is nice to see the plot moving as fast as ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Taffer posted:

:negative:

Lets just hope by "Laurel's episode" it means the one where she dies. She finally got relevant to the plot, but she's still extremely annoying. All the scenes with her are significantly lower in quality than everything else in the show.

Knock this stuff off. The Laurel complaining is getting way too old. She's doing stuff in the show now and they're gearing her up for something. Yes, she's been underwritten but they're obviously setting something up and her being the only one to pick up on Blood is a good way to bring her back into relevance.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That Bomber should have been Mad Stan and it should have been Henry Rollins.

Also, Laurel being useful. I approve!

Still needs to become Slade's apprentice :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's interesting how Roy's reaction to all the Mirakuru stuff has been to freak the gently caress out rather than going "aw hell yes superpowers," which is probably going to play a big part in Ollie's decision to take him on as an apprentice/sidekick/whatever they're calling it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's interesting how Roy's reaction to all the Mirakuru stuff has been to freak the gently caress out rather than going "aw hell yes superpowers," which is probably going to play a big part in Ollie's decision to take him on as an apprentice/sidekick/whatever they're calling it.

At some point later in the show he'll probably get involved in some Arrow case, get seriously wounded, and then quickly recover while Ollie watches leading to him revealing his identity and taking him in to prevent him from becoming another Slade.

I just really want to see Roy off the chain and beating the poo poo out of people with his miraku powers as a vigilante before he gets brought into the Arrow crew.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Laurel was slightly better overall this episode but her taking the obviously crazy person 100% at their word was kinda dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

That sounds more like it should be Slade's episode.

BrianWilly posted:

Kinda sloppy for Sebastian to just leave his fake aunt hanging around for Laurel or anyone else to find. I mean, how did he even convince people she was his aunt? "Now look, she seems like my totally sane mother but forreal guys, she's actually my aunt with no existing records whatsoever!" :tipshat:

It is nice to see the plot moving as fast as ever.

The aunt thing came from Quentin, so all he really had to do was check her in and claim to be her nephew since that's the record the police would check.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What I'm wondering with the Roy plot now is how dumb they will/won't make Thea. I mean, she has some pretty concrete evidence that her boyfriend is either the most hardcore motherfucker who ever lived or a superhuman. I want to see her follow up on that.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The aunt thing came from Quentin, so all he really had to do was check her in and claim to be her nephew since that's the record the police would check.

But that is the thing - "all he has to do" is check in a woman (who is totally sane), hope that she goes loopy and is locked away for ever, and also check her into a hospital with none of her ID and just say "oh yeah, she's so and so, my aunt" here is the check for the bills. Mental hostpitals just lock people up randomly off the street as long as someone says they are their nephew.

Great episode but that was a pretty weak way of Laurel finding out the truth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's more likely he changed his identity, not hers.

He checked her in as whoever he was, her son. Now he's Jason Blood, her nephew who pays for her treatment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Naw, he wishes he was Jason Blood. "Gone, gone the form of man..."

In any case, he couldn't have checked his mom in with her original identity because the whole point of his sad lil' origin story was that his mom was supposed to be missing after his dad tried to kill her. If people knew who she was then they would obviously question her about what really happened that night.

Heck, I don't know why anyone wouldn't be able to question her about it anyway, considering that she seems to be perfectly, lucidly capable of blurting the truth to anyone within earshot; the whole scenario just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But eh whatever. The main point of this was to have Laurel realize that Sebastian is totes bad, and it got its job done.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 16, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Jesus, Laurel's stealing her dad's medication now? That's kind of hosed up. She seemed to take the words of a woman in an insane asylum very seriously too. (By the way, what is the story with the Blood family exactly? I must have missed something. He killed his father, but claimed it was his mother and had her sent to the asylum as his aunt? What's the official line on his mum then?)

Kinda weird how this episode opened with a scene that was pretty durn Batman Begins, even by Arrow standards. Then cut to Scarecrow who is now also our Harvey Dent.

Super Roy irks me. I kind of wish they would have had the balls to kill him off when he got injected. 'cause right now we've seen 3/4 mirakuru (just say miracle!x100) patients respond incredibly well to the ULTRA DEADLY KILL SERUM.

Funniest moment in the episode is easily the part where Batman Arrow and Gordon Lance meet on that rooftop and an explosion goes off and Lance calls it in and it's all exciting and then Arrow literally says something as exposition-laden as "the bomber has attacked again". As if any human watching this show didn't already comprehend that. Sigh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

VagueRant posted:

Super Roy irks me. I kind of wish they would have had the balls to kill him off when he got injected. 'cause right now we've seen 3/4 mirakuru (just say miracle!x100) patients respond incredibly well to the ULTRA DEADLY KILL SERUM.

Three of the four people we've seen get injected on screen have reacted well. Blood had an entire lab full of people who didn't.

Slade and Roy were both technically dead for a while. Slade woke up on his own because he's awesome. Roy needed some chat compressions before he came back.

The formula hasn't been perfected yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

King of Solomon posted:

I thought Laurel was perfectly fine in this episode, for the record. She's still really awkward around Ollie, but her investigation seemed good enough.

The last scene was great in this weeks episode and her investigation actually had like...real motivation behind it? Is that even possible?

• Locked thread