Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

steakmancer posted:

It is awesomely infuriating how plodding and tepid Brad progresses through the game with almost identical controls to Dark Souls.

Ho boy, don't you dare watch Jeff Green's Dark Souls streams, then. I doubt you'd have a hair on your head by the 15 minute mark.

As a person who hasn't played Dark Souls in a while and never played Demon's Souls ever or seen anything about it, his progress is fine. It's why I get pissed at the chat during Dark Souls streams because they always recommend beginners do these advanced tactic things or use weapons that require experience with timing because in their 100 hours of playing managed to master using that weapon so anyone who uses it should automatically know what they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Higsian posted:

I'm pretty sure you would have killed yourself if you watched me play through Blight Town the first time. It took me forever to reach the ground even though I didn't die because I was so afraid of the place after hearing how it sucked.

Turns out it actually isn't bad when you're playing on a high end PC after the infinite spawns were taken out and wearing that rust ring.

If you go through with the rust ring I wouldn't say you truly experienced Blight Town. Slowly trudging you way through the laggy poisonous swamp avoiding misquotes, especially infinite ones, and dodging bolder men is a truly transcendent experience.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Patrick did really well for most of that stream then somehow managed to die to an attack with one of the most obvious tells in the game 3 times in a row.

:darksouls:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Higsian posted:

Turns out it actually isn't bad when you're playing on a high end PC after the infinite spawns were taken out and wearing that rust ring.

I was wondering why there seemed to be so few mosquitoes for Jeff/Patrick/Kay. Did they change the bridge dragon as well? He seems way more passive now going by these videos, though that thing was always so unpredictable for me that it may just be luck. Could do the exact same thing 3 times in a row and get completely different results. Will he roast me halfway through the run to the middle stairs despite sprinting with no armor the whole way through? Will he start it up just as I reach the safe spot and narrowly avoid the fire? Will he not give a poo poo at all? Will the breath one shot me from full health this time, or only take off 1/3 of my hp? Who knows.

I hope Patrick gets wrecked by the bone wheels once or twice. I love those guys.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I think I'm going to have to play Demon Souls now since I have it from PS+ instead of replaying Dark Souls before 2 comes out. Never realised how similar it is, I always had assumed they made drastic changes between the games.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Vargs posted:

I was wondering why there seemed to be so few mosquitoes for Jeff/Patrick/Kay. Did they change the bridge dragon as well? He seems way more passive now going by these videos, though that thing was always so unpredictable for me that it may just be luck. Could do the exact same thing 3 times in a row and get completely different results. Will he roast me halfway through the run to the middle stairs despite sprinting with no armor the whole way through? Will he start it up just as I reach the safe spot and narrowly avoid the fire? Will he not give a poo poo at all? Will the breath one shot me from full health this time, or only take off 1/3 of my hp? Who knows.

I hope Patrick gets wrecked by the bone wheels once or twice. I love those guys.

They did patch the dragon. That thing was bullshit before they did. It was almost completely random if you would make it across the bridge or not without getting roasted.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Crowbear posted:

Patrick did really well for most of that stream then somehow managed to die to an attack with one of the most obvious tells in the game 3 times in a row.

:darksouls:

The amazing part was how the first time the harpy tried it on him he countered it perfectly and didn't realize it. I think it went so well for him he didn't put two and two together that he dodged a hell-attack.

edit: This is not bitching about his play, just an observation. I cheered when he read that first leap. Souls streams, best streams.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sendo posted:

I think I'm going to have to play Demon Souls now since I have it from PS+ instead of replaying Dark Souls before 2 comes out. Never realised how similar it is, I always had assumed they made drastic changes between the games.

Dark Souls is literally just a 2 year dev cycle sequel with all that entails. Slightly better tuned controls, improved visuals, and a new setting. Dark Souls may also have may as well been a "Souls Reboot" since it pulls so many of the same tricks DeS did.

Demon's Souls was so good. I really miss that world and level based design I hope they manage to go back to it some day, even if it means playing it on PS4 since Sony owns the world and name and poo poo.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ooh, and I was just going to get back into Demon's Souls!

I think I abused the Magic Missile thing way too much when I first started, but decided to get rid of it when I realised it was making the game piss-easy. When games of this quality are so rare, you really don't want to ruin one for yourself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One thing Demon's Souls did better was have cooler boss loot. Beating Old King Doran and getting both his armour and Demonbrandt, which you then forge into Northern Regalia, was one of the most awesome things in that game.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing Demon's Souls did better was have cooler boss loot. Beating Old King Doran and getting both his armour and Demonbrandt, which you then forge into Northern Regalia, was one of the most awesome things in that game.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Spell or boss soul weapon was another great thing thing also. Level based design is crap if it means throwing out the interconnected world. Nexus is nothing but hub world with branching spokes and it all seemed like it was disconnected. Finding meaningful shortcuts is a great feeling in dark souls and lends to progression.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

http://www.dorkly.com/video/58404/gun-home

DEFINITELY A GAME THIS TIME

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Holy poo poo

they took that joke and delivered 1010% percent

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

As someone who can't gut his way through like 2 stages of demon's souls, watching brad do pretty well was a fun watch. By watch, I mean "have on in the background while I play gt6"

Also sup to all the NH goons in here. Thought I was the only one.

Dunks chat: any sort of breakfast sandwich on a croissant is the way to go. gently caress donuts. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brad and Vinny are both terrible at Doctor Mario.

Edit: Even Jeff acknowledged it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 16, 2014

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Decently funny, 7.5/10

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

cheesetriangles posted:

Dunkin Donut's hasn't been good in years when they stopped making the food fresh. Being from NH there's been one every 20 feet for my entire life.

Overbite posted:

I'm in NH and when I eat Dunkin Donuts it feels like I just ate a lump of coal. It just sits in my stomach and reminds me I ate something bad.

Yeah, the one closest to me (in Concord, NH) is just a tiny satellite location that trucks in donuts once in a while and it was almost always a miserable experience when I swing by there before work. The problem is that there's no other drive-through coffee and donuts places around here, and fuuuuuuuuck getting out of my car in the morning when it's like 8 degrees outside.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

xamphear posted:

Yeah, the one closest to me (in Concord, NH) is just a tiny satellite location that trucks in donuts once in a while and it was almost always a miserable experience when I swing by there before work. The problem is that there's no other drive-through coffee and donuts places around here, and fuuuuuuuuck getting out of my car in the morning when it's like 8 degrees outside.

Wow, now that you mention it, there aren't really any dunks in that area. So weird. Concord kinda sucks. (Lives in nashua lol)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Air Julio posted:

Wow, now that you mention it, there aren't really any dunks in that area. So weird. Concord kinda sucks. (Lives in nashua lol)

There used to be a couple full-sized locations with proper on-site bakeries but they're all gone now, replaced by tiny locations and ones that are bolted onto gas stations. They're all pretty horrible!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Krispy Kreme are the donut equivalent to manna from above. :colbert:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Carteret posted:

Krispy Kreme are the donut equivalent to manna from above. :colbert:

Krispy Kreme ain't got poo poo on Shipley's. You northern peasants don't know what a real donut is.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've never touched a Krispy Kreme that didn't feel slimy, don't care for them.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Krispy Kreme is loving disgusting

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Krispy Kreme ain't got poo poo on Shipley's. You northern peasants don't know what a real donut is.

North Carolina ain't the north, friend.

kdrudy posted:

I've never touched a Krispy Kreme that didn't feel slimy, don't care for them.

I guess I forgot the caveat that you eat them hot and fresh off the line, not from some grocery store.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm under the impression that international fast food franchises suck rear end in the United States but are much better abroad. At least, here in my part of SEA, the only thing I really hate on their menu is their 75 cent burger which is just a tiny patty, some gross sauce, and buns. The only thing I remember liking about US McDonald's when I went on vacation over there is that they sell McGriddle :unsmigghh:

And on the topic of donuts, for a long rear end time it was either Dunkin' Donuts or Mister Donut here, and DD is way better. We recently had Krispy Kreme and J.CO Donuts open up shop, but the former tastes way sweeter and is less filling than the ones I had in the States while the latter is pretty good but insanely over-priced. Dunkin' Donuts is still my favorite after all this time.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ethiser posted:

If you go through with the rust ring I wouldn't say you truly experienced Blight Town. Slowly trudging you way through the laggy poisonous swamp avoiding misquotes, especially infinite ones, and dodging bolder men is a truly transcendent experience.

I went through Blighttown without a shield or rust ring, from the top to the bottom. Took me five tries, and a grand total of an hour and a half, including the sandwich break I took. I don't get what people found so tricky.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best part is Disturbed. OUUUWAHAHAHA never fails to make me laugh.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Somehow, watching Brad and Vinny play Demon Souls is easier than watching them play Mario themed Tetris Attack.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Carteret posted:

North Carolina ain't the north, friend.

Bullshit. It's got "north" right there in the name. :colbert:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

Somehow, watching Brad and Vinny play Demon Souls is easier than watching them play Mario themed Tetris Attack.

It just looks like a flash game. Are Nintendo even trying anymore?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Holy Cheese posted:

It just looks like a flash game. Are Nintendo even trying anymore?
It's basically a port of the 2008 WiiWare game Dr. Mario Online Rx but with an extra mode and no Miis everywhere.

That such a relatively simple project somehow managed to miss its release year is a small indication of Nintendo's larger problems right now.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

The Kins posted:

It's basically a port of the 2008 WiiWare game Dr. Mario Online Rx but with an extra mode and no Miis everywhere.

That such a relatively simple project somehow managed to miss its release year is a small indication of Nintendo's larger problems right now.

Yeah I mean I don't want them to fail or anything but jeeze, I'm no artist but all the graphics are wrong.. :colbert:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

xamphear posted:

There used to be a couple full-sized locations with proper on-site bakeries but they're all gone now, replaced by tiny locations and ones that are bolted onto gas stations. They're all pretty horrible!

The Dunkin on loudon rd across from the Wendys and the one near Grappone look like full size "restaurants" but I've never been in them so I dunno.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The Kins posted:

What game quality problems are Nintendo having right now?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

That's not what he said but please go on :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

I didn't say their games aren't good - 3D World and A Link Between Worlds would disprove that instantly - but they're having a lot of trouble getting them out on time. They're dealing with the same problems that everyone else had transitioning to HD last gen, which is really bizarre considering those bridges were traversed close to a decade ago.

This might be compounded by an alleged deliberate ignorance of what their competitors are doing to the point that Nintendo execs reportedly didn't know how Live and PSN work when the Wii U online network was being built.

They could be doing better!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, as a staunch defender of Nintendo's game making skills, even I can recognize that they have severe production issues. Their quality control is top notch, but something like NES Remix and this Dr. Luigi thing is a good example of how their ideas are awesome, but their execution falters. It's not even that these are bad games, just that they could be doing so much more.

Granted, it's a totally new market for them, and at least they're trying, but they need to streamline their process and learn from the competition. Like, there should have been direct connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U a year ago, but all they've done is unify the account system, which isn't actually useful right now.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

Please tell me more about Nintendo's quality problems in the year that saw them release Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: A link Between Worlds. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wow guys, you seriously completely misread the original intent and still are for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Tae posted:

Wow guys, you seriously completely misread the original intent and still are for some reason.

So what you're saying is women have no place in video games outside of either being the prize to win or an object of lustful desire?

EDIT: Brad is bad at Dr. Luigi.

• Locked thread