Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Okay goons, I'm apparently a complete knob at driving cars because I've been working on the MX-5 at Lime Rock (was told it was a good starter road car & track combination) and I seriously cannot drive more than two consecutive laps without losing control of the car. On the rare occasion I was able to turn a complete controlled lap (mostly by going hilariously slow, especially through turns 1 & 2) my best time was 1:09, which is a good 7-8 seconds off a competitive pace, even in lovely rookie levels.

I have a G27 and am using the baseline setup for the car.

I feel like I need iracing_tutorial.txt - not how the software works but the basics of how to drive a race car. poo poo like "You probably shouldn't be braking and turning into a turn at the same time!" Or whatever it is you're supposed to do to not constantly spin into the grass at 50 mph. Any resources out there?

If it would be helpful, I saved the replay of my 1:09 so I can probably figure out how to cap it in fraps or whatever and upload it, so you can all see just how badly I suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Honestly, the best way to go fast is to take it slow (I know that's counter intuitive, but it's a very common issue among new sim drivers). The time difference function in iracing is great to know exactly where you're losing time. Once you're very comfortable going slow, slowly ramp it up a notch where you feel comfortable. You want to know where the limit is, and most likely you're going past it frequently.

Something to aim for is the high 1:01's at lime rock, but ONLY push it once you're very comfortable with the track. The final corner is one that catches a lot of people because of how bumpy it is.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 14, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

aunt jemima posted:

Okay goons, I'm apparently a complete knob at driving cars because I've been working on the MX-5 at Lime Rock (was told it was a good starter road car & track combination) and I seriously cannot drive more than two consecutive laps without losing control of the car. On the rare occasion I was able to turn a complete controlled lap (mostly by going hilariously slow, especially through turns 1 & 2) my best time was 1:09, which is a good 7-8 seconds off a competitive pace, even in lovely rookie levels.

I have a G27 and am using the baseline setup for the car.

I feel like I need iracing_tutorial.txt - not how the software works but the basics of how to drive a race car. poo poo like "You probably shouldn't be braking and turning into a turn at the same time!" Or whatever it is you're supposed to do to not constantly spin into the grass at 50 mph. Any resources out there?

If it would be helpful, I saved the replay of my 1:09 so I can probably figure out how to cap it in fraps or whatever and upload it, so you can all see just how badly I suck!

Watch this and then watch it again. This video ironed out all my kinks and now I can win at Lime Rock sometimes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYy6zPf1lo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How annoying do you guys think it would be to run 2 different monitors in a 3 monitor setup? I have a 23" Dell ultra sharp and a 23" asus tn display, and I'm considering adding another Asus display if I can find one cheap enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume the Dell is the good monitor? Put that in the middle and two asus monitors on the side.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Google Butt posted:

How annoying do you guys think it would be to run 2 different monitors in a 3 monitor setup? I have a 23" Dell ultra sharp and a 23" asus tn display, and I'm considering adding another Asus display if I can find one cheap enough.

I did this for a while. So long as they're all the same resolution, you won't have many issues. It'll only be bad if edges not perfectly lining up trigger an OCD reaction.

If they're different resolutions, you're in a world of poo poo.

A couple years ago, my left display was 1600x900, center was 1680x1050, and right was 1366x768. At the time, Eyefinity didn't support different resolutions (I think it does now). I had to run something called SoftTH to fool my computer into rendering the scene and placing it properly across all 3, and it was just awful.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My best lap at Silverstone International in the E30 Group A, 1:13.712 (only good enough for 88th place on RSR, where do those 5.5 seconds come from!?), using an xbox 360 controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BovTTmvkFAo

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Been doing a lot of laps with the M3 on Silverstone, really fun combo. Have you tried that car on Joux Plane yet?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Assetto Corsa:
Anyone bothered with many mods? This one has a kind of AI in it so you can lap with company!
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/special-event-with-ai.1461/

Lots of stuff, mainly skins here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/assetto-corsa.1/?order=download_count

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

peter gabriel posted:

Assetto Corsa:
Anyone bothered with many mods? This one has a kind of AI in it so you can lap with company!
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/special-event-with-ai.1461/

Lots of stuff, mainly skins here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/assetto-corsa.1/?order=download_count

AC is supposed to get AI in Friday's update.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

365 Nog Hogger posted:

My best lap at Silverstone International in the E30 Group A, 1:13.712 (only good enough for 88th place on RSR, where do those 5.5 seconds come from!?), using an xbox 360 controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BovTTmvkFAo

Judging from what I see in the video, you need to use more track. You tend to go out of the corners too fast in stead of letting the car glide to the kerbs on the outside of the exit. By being aggressive on the steering you scrub off speed and acceleration. You also need to be more aggressive on the corner entrances. You very rarely hit the apexes right and in a couple corners there was plenty of room for someone to pass on the inside of you. That skid you had didn't help much either.

Not sure about 5.5 seconds, but I can see at least 3-3.5 being shaved off the lap easily enough. The last 2 seconds probably comes from some really aggressive trail braking.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CaseFace McGee posted:

Ah this Friday? Awesome!!!!
Ignore that then, as you were :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

David Pratt posted:

Been doing a lot of laps with the M3 on Silverstone, really fun combo. Have you tried that car on Joux Plane yet?

Yeah, finally went the full distance up and down the other day. I lowered the grip on the surfaces on JP by about 3% as it felt a bit too grippy. I reaaaalllly hope people keep doing conversions of RBR tracks to AC, as I am way more interested in going full moron TOUGE TOUGE TOUGE than doing open wheel track racing. What site seems to be the most active for AC content? As of now I'm only paying attention to the official forum (where converted stuff is verboten) and VirtualR (slow).

Thanks for the pointers, I'm still gun shy about oversteering out of corners and getting dinged for going off-track (not really an issue now that I turned stability control back on [just until I get a wheel!]).

e: I haven't taken a video yet, but doing the German Fury event (Gold is easy-peasy) showed me how much fun racing the E92 Drift package is.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 15, 2014

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CaseFace McGee posted:

Where did they actually confirm this? I only saw them saw that it was coming "soon" in one of the next few updates, but not specifically the next one. I hope you are right though.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's the impression I have gotten, for example they just posted about AI on Facebook yesterday or something. We'll find out soon enough.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

I did this for a while. So long as they're all the same resolution, you won't have many issues. It'll only be bad if edges not perfectly lining up trigger an OCD reaction.

If they're different resolutions, you're in a world of poo poo.

My setup is 2x 23" Dells that are normal 1080p with a 23" Samsung whose native res is some oddball thing like 2048x1152. Eyfinity just sends it a 1080p signal and it works fine, just a little blurry. (which, since I use it on the side, I absolutely don't notice at all in game)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There was a guy on the iracing forums that used a 42 inch TV as his main monitor and two 27 inch monitors turned on their sides as the outer two monitors.

It was a crazy set up but fitted his room perfectly and he said it was awesome!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
So I picked up a DVD copy of rFactor for 2x :10bux: rather than the $27 they were asking for the digital version, thinking it would have a product key and I could just install the digital version and activate it. I didn't read enough of their FAQs however, so I'm on a different version that doesn't require activation (it just requires you keep the disc in the drive :rolleyes:).

I attempted to join some multiplayer lobbies just to make sure my upgraded dvd version "f" can play right along side version "g" which is the latest digital release. But of course I didn't have the track and/or the cars and/or the mods installed needed to play with random online games, so I'm still not sure if I'm stuck with bots or what. Anyone know for sure?

Additionally, the FFB out of the box is pretty much not even there, so I've installed the "Real Feel FFB" plugin and I'm trying to tweak it so it doesn't feel like it is trying to jerk my arms out of their sockets when I shift gears in a turn but also strong enough that I'm not always turning the wheel so hard I put it into a spin every corner. Anyone have any good advice on the best way to go about tweaking it for a G27? The guides I've found via google don't seem to be all that helpful since frankly I don't really know what FFB is supposed to feel like in a car going 200mph over a rumble strip into grass into gravel into a brick wall. :|

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Looks like tomorrow's update for Assetto Corsa will indeed have AI, but only on a few events so we won't be able to set up our own grids. But still :woop:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Just bought three months of iRacing. Seems pretty cool so far.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Speaking of paying too much to race on the Internet, someone in the steam thread pointed out GTR Evolution (packaged with Race 07) is on sale for pennies here: http://www.bundlestars.com/store/gtr-evolution/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I didn't see anyone post about this in games.

Not really a sim, but god it's fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvRZpykS6s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
AI is in Assetto Corsa, kind of. It's rough and ready but it is fun as hell.
New tyre model as well, feels nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

AC update rules.

Lots of tweaks, new cars (BMW 1M, E30 DTM, another fuckin lotus), and AI.

You can enable AI in quick race mode (you should probably only use cars/tracks that are included in current AI special events, though I had a few others work) by modifying:
\assettocorsa\launcher\themes\default\modules\earlyaccess\earlyaccess.js to include
pre:
//"#drive .tabs li[data-mode=quickrace]",
on line 15

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_R_8jslfY

edit: I decided to take the E92 Drift out against some 1M's. :dukedog:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 19, 2014

Rolfus
Jan 14, 2008
I love the AI. Though, I have yet to finish any of those AI races since I usually end up ragequitting. I'm the blue car in this scenario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4CIYR7lIk

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
So... what's the deal with this?

I own all of the content in these events (it's all included in the base subscription), but it still says purchase required. Also, trying to select them from the "Race Now" box at the top of the page gives me this:

Whereas ordinarily, selecting an event for which I don't own all of the content gives me this ("Add to Cart" under the track and "Content Required" under the race selector):

Am I missing something or is it just hosed up? Anyone else getting this?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Rolfus posted:

I love the AI. Though, I have yet to finish any of those AI races since I usually end up ragequitting. I'm the blue car in this scenario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4CIYR7lIk

Who needs Next Car Game if you have the AC BMW race?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Bah sorry confused.

Have you actually subscribed?

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 21, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The rear end Stooge posted:

So... what's the deal with this?

I own all of the content in these events (it's all included in the base subscription), but it still says purchase required. Also, trying to select them from the "Race Now" box at the top of the page gives me this:

Whereas ordinarily, selecting an event for which I don't own all of the content gives me this ("Add to Cart" under the track and "Content Required" under the race selector):

Am I missing something or is it just hosed up? Anyone else getting this?

The regular season is over, this is the 13th week. There are no normal races just the week 13 races (Street stock challenge and Legend road) which count for iRating and SR. There are also 24 hours of fun races which are just for fun and don't count for anything.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Cojawfee posted:

The regular season is over, this is the 13th week. There are no normal races just the week 13 races (Street stock challenge and Legend road) which count for iRating and SR. There are also 24 hours of fun races which are just for fun and don't count for anything.

Oh, ok. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong on my end. I'm new to this and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole structure of the organization.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A guy does a lap at Silverstone both for real and in Assetto Corsa and the results are spliced together in a vid, looks great and very promising for the realism of the sim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jQouH8oCGo

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Hah! The fact that I couldn't immediately decide which side was real until he took a big turn and his hands gave it away certainly says something for the graphics quality!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Essobie posted:

Hah! The fact that I couldn't immediately decide which side was real until he took a big turn and his hands gave it away certainly says something for the graphics quality!

The real one is the one that doesn't look like a truck full of lard with a leak took a lap around earlier in the day..

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Uncle Jam posted:

The real one is the one that doesn't look like a truck full of lard with a leak took a lap around earlier in the day..

Gotta say I agree with this, the track reflections seem overdone to me sometimes as well. I can not race morning races with the Rift on for example as the road goes completely white a lot of the time.
They also have this really nice 'dirty windscreen' effect that looks great but also blinds you in morning and evening races.

Still, early access and all that!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
You can disable bloom in the graphics options, which might help you a bit.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally got myself a DFGT. My DTM/Silverstone int. time is up 5 seconds from the 1:11.8 I whittled it down to with the 360 pad, but drat it's worth it. Turned off stability control, and am finally learning how to, well, drive these cars properly.

Had my dad, who does not play videogames (but has had a laundry list of cars over the years) try it out; after some wrangling to get his head around reading the cues from the game, he got pretty into it. His complaints about the setup (wheel way too small, brake pedal too soft, no clutch or real shifter other than the back and forth sequential, FOV being confined to one screen) would all solved by more $$$ (not happening for a long time).

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Your dad's complaints are all the same complaints that sim racers have. He's right.

Congratulations on your dad.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah I should have said "his complaints are the same as mine."

If I get him to drive it enough I bet I can get him to help me build a stand, too!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Yeah I should have said "his complaints are the same as mine."

If I get him to drive it enough I bet I can get him to help me build a stand, too!

I have found that sim racing has a much larger population of dads than any type of game I've played. You have a good chance of roping your dad in, I'd imagine.

Lots of the racers I've driven against seem to be European males with wives and children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Assetto Corsa updated.

AI enabled for all cars and improved, and collision model improved, among multiple other things, but no new content. The best part? YOU CAN LOOK BEHIND YOU NOW!

It drove me nuts not having the ability to see what the stupid AI were doing behind me.

• Locked thread