Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Fox to Marvel Television:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Did anyone else turn off True Detective before they left the murder scene? The dialogue and narration was just too purple for me. Lots of words but not much being said.

No, I watched the whole episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Considering that selling off film rights basically kept Marvel out of bankruptcy for a good while, I doubt it.

You can regret something that was done out of necessity.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

McSpanky posted:

You can regret something that was done out of necessity.

At the very least they should regret allowing those studios to hold the rights in perpetuity so long as they keep making GBS threads out sequels every few years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's underplaying how unlikely the prospects were that those things would ever make money. Yes, you had the shows on CBS in the 80s, but Marvel was just mined for initial inspiration, and those shows (Hulk, Thor, etc) didn't exactly last long.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I don't think Thor even made it to series. Wasn't that just a Hulk TV movie that doubled as a backdoor pilot?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided that I'm giving American Idol one last chance tonight, because the ads have made it look surprisingly watchable this year. We'll see how this goes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The whole Fox licensing has to probably also take into account that it's more characters tied to the X-Men family of titles, too, since I'm sure there are more than a few characters that in some degrees of Marvel definition of what constitutes a 'mutant'.

I'm sure there's probably a stipulation that a Marvel production can have a person born with super powers, but they can't be called 'mutant' but they can be called 'superhuman'. They can have a team, but they can't have a team name that uses any of the established X-family titles as names. They can have powers, but the actors and powers cannot be too similar to those of X-family characters.

That being said, I have no idea where Alpha Flight, Power Pack, New Warriors, etc. all fit into the Marvel Films banner, if at all. Each one had connections to the greater Marvel Universe and the unique X-men/Avengers/FF family of titles, but they were also more or less doing their own thing, too.

New Warriors features, for example:
Firestar: Created for a Spider-Man cartoon show that is also a mutant that never really featured in any X-family title who was a member of the Avengers: Marvel, Fox or Sony?

I just learned that Power Pack's 90s TV pilot was loaded on Youtube, by the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would watch the poo poo out of an Alpha Flight TV show.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

muscles like this? posted:

Most likely whats going to happen is that the mutant niche is going to be filled by the Inhumans, which are kind of similar in that they look like normal people but after a certain age their society puts them into a machine that gives them powers and changes their appearance. In the comics recently Black Bolt, the Inhuman King, set off a bomb that duplicated the effects of their powers machine and created a bunch of Inhumans all over the world. Mostly people who had no idea they were descendants of Inhumans.

And one of them in the comics was the villain introduced last night!

Donnie "Blizzard" Gill.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone watching Real World? Its cool that that dude Tom only banged 3 chicks but he is being a little over the top.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm sure there's probably a stipulation that a Marvel production can have a person born with super powers, but they can't be called 'mutant' but they can be called 'superhuman'. They can have a team, but they can't have a team name that uses any of the established X-family titles as names. They can have powers, but the actors and powers cannot be too similar to those of X-family characters.

That last sentence definitely isn't the case. Both the new X-Men movie and the new Avengers movie are going to include Quicksilver, it's just that the X-Men movie will be allowed to use him as a mutant and the Avengers movie will be allowed to use him as an Avenger, with neither allowed to reference any of the aspects of the character that fall under the other umbrella.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone watching Real World? Its cool that that dude Tom only banged 3 chicks but he is being a little over the top.

You couldn't pay me enough to watch The Real World, but this comment along with the commercials leads me to believe that they've officially dropped all pretense and have just gone full Sex House now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Idran posted:

That last sentence definitely isn't the case. Both the new X-Men movie and the new Avengers movie are going to include Quicksilver, it's just that the X-Men movie will be allowed to use him as a mutant and the Avengers movie will be allowed to use him as an Avenger, with neither allowed to reference any of the aspects of the character that fall under the other umbrella.

Is it going to be the same actor?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Kick-rear end in one of the movies and some nobody in the other.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

Is it going to be the same actor?

Nope. Marvel's is Kick-rear end, and Fox's is Kick-rear end' boring buddy.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Kick-rear end in one of the movies and some nobody in the other.

Evan Peters from AHS, actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Evan Peters from AHS, actually.

The psycho kid? I like that guy.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

You couldn't pay me enough to watch The Real World, but this comment along with the commercials leads me to believe that they've officially dropped all pretense and have just gone full Sex House now.

He means the guy was only with 3 girls his whole life not on the show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

precision posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of an Alpha Flight TV show.

write CTV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So they revealed the premise of the next season of AHS.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

To be clear, they did not. Ryan Murphy told us the era (or one of the eras) it will take place in. Not the actual premise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The premise is Nazis :colbert:

Also, how bad has the HIMYM thread been this week?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Depending on who you believe, it was either the worst episode of television ever, or the best episode in a long time... That thread has been approaching Community S3 / GoT territory for a while now...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Depending on who you believe, it was either the worst episode of television ever, or the best episode in a long time... That thread has been approaching Community S3 / GoT territory for a while now...

I just ask because CNN had a front page story about the yellowface controversy, and I know how well TVIV threads handle issues of race and gender. I haven't actually seen the show since mid s5 or something.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The sooner we move on from season 3 of AHS the better. Season 4 is supposed to be Jessica Lange's last season before she retires so I hope they go out on a high note.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I just ask because CNN had a front page story about the yellowface controversy, and I know how well TVIV threads handle issues of race and gender. I haven't actually seen the show since mid s5 or something.

I try to stay away from the thread except to read Ted Mosby Architect posts...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Neither have I, but now that you brought it to my attention

it looks loving hysterical. Did they do asian accents or was it just the hair/clothing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

it looks loving hysterical. Did they do asian accents or was it just the hair/clothing?

Joeeee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cpU_iIqLs&t=83s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a lame unfunny episode but honestly wasn't racist at all.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is anyone planning on making a Kroll Show season 2 thread? If not, I'll make one this weekend.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

He watches and loves 2 Broke Girls. Why do you think he has a problem with racist poo poo?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

zoux posted:

The posters in the thread didn't seem to notice and/or care.

Some background for those who don't watch the show... Marshall (who won the right to slap Barney after winning a bet) tried to intimidate Barney by spinning a fantastical yarn about how he journeyed throughout the land learning how to deliver The Slap of a Thousand Million Exploding Suns. It was basically a long Kill Bill/kung fu movie parody.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah except it had all the regular actors playing Chinese characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are still dragging the slap bet out this far? :stare:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

They are still dragging the slap bet out this far? :stare:
You expected anything different? It's one of the show's most popular gags; I always figured it the final slap would be saved for the the last episode or two.

(After this last episode, only one slap remains.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

No, they played them as their regular characters in costume basically.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I'm starting to like Rick & Morty even more than Community. Its not quite as funny so far, but the sense of adventure every episode is ten tons of funs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The poptart exchange from this week was completely hilarious.

http://youtu.be/kUJf3ZrUccE?t=5m4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The poptart exchange from this week was completely hilarious.

http://youtu.be/kUJf3ZrUccE?t=5m4s

Putting this week's ep up on Youtube is probably just a one time promotion deal right? Adult Swim shows are some of the hardest to find to watch legally on line, you'd think a network aimed at young 20 somethings would be embracing non traditional distribution.

• Locked thread