Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Starsnostars posted:

If we're nominating Sherlock actors then I'd rather have Andrew Scott as Strange, although I don't think Cumberbatch is a bad pick. I don't know if either can do American accents though.

Cumberbatch has done Southern accents in two films this past year (12 Years A Slave and August: Osage County) and handled them convincingly enough. They're closer to his natural accent than a more "default" American accent but I wouldn't think it beyond him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I really cannot see a perfect Dr Strange. It needs to be someone who can deliver lines "By the Hoary Hoasts of Hoggoth!" and "Shield of the Serephim!" with complete seriousness

John Waters. Come on, you know you want this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gatts posted:

John Waters. Come on, you know you want this.

Only if he directs too. I want the weirdest, filthiest, strangest Strange ever.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Opopanax posted:

Hell gently caress yeah.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jonny Lee Miller would make a good Stephen Strange.

I'm 100% behind this. I've always been kinda 'meh' about him, but lately I'm starting to like him more and more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

Have Steve Buscemi as Baron Mordo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

The first Marvel in-house film to earn a hard "R" rating. :getin:

Bonus if they make a period piece and have it a 1960's psychedelic sexual romp.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Avengers 2 casting. Thomas Kretschmann will be Baron Strucker in Age of Ultron and has the usual multiple future film deal. Presumably the countdown until Wanda and Pietro are made his kids starts now.

source

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Waterhaul posted:

Avengers 2 casting. Thomas Kretschmann will be Baron Strucker in Age of Ultron and has the usual multiple future film deal. Presumably the countdown until Wanda and Pietro are made his kids starts now.

source

The thread suggestion of Mel Gibson for Strucker was better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Waterhaul posted:

source

WB/DC needs to announce something with all these Marvel casting news bits breaking out :sigh:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus I bet Cage would work for cheap too, not like he has a choice, though couldn't he be seen as box office poison?

Look at where Robert Downey, Jr. was career-wise before Iron Man. I don't think it's impossible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

source

If they change the comics to match the movies and it turns out Magneto has been treating Strucker's kids as his own and now learns the truth, that actually would be a pretty interesting story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Opopanax posted:

You don't want to know what Wong looks like in this version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FoneBone posted:

Look at where Robert Downey, Jr. was career-wise before Iron Man. I don't think it's impossible.

RDJ's career was on an upswing when he was cast as Iron Man. If it wasn't Iron Man it was going to be something else that got him back in the spotlight.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Like Tropic Thunder, for example.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Everytime Strange gets mentioned nobody brings up that Clooney would be dope as him. He even reportedly had meetings with Feige and some other people 2 or three years ago.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

source

PLUS: Cap 2 is doing some pick-ups this week, so we could see a bit of Strucker with Cap 2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

RDJ's career was on an upswing when he was cast as Iron Man. If it wasn't Iron Man it was going to be something else that got him back in the spotlight.

Oh he'd be doing fine, but he'd probably be in the quirky character actor niche that he'd been occupying in stuff like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkly, maybe eventually getting back into prestige pictures like his earlier work. I'm not sure he'd be one of, if not THE, biggest movie star in the world as he is now without Iron Man.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't know the pre-pro timelines but I suspect we'd still have his turn as Sherlock, which would do a lot for him, but there's no question that Marvel brought him to a level beyond.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, I kind of feel like it was the other way around.

Robert Downey Junior made Marvel Studios' career.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

rantmo posted:

Like Tropic Thunder, for example.

I don't know - I'm doubtful that he would have been cast in Tropic Thunder if he hadn't been cast in Iron Man beforehand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

It's mutually benefitial. He's such perfect casting that it took a movie that was a risky proposition and turned it from a likely minor hit, into the launch pad for a franchise, and that same smash hit turned him into a megastar.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

FoneBone posted:

I don't know - I'm doubtful that he would have been cast in Tropic Thunder if he hadn't been cast in Iron Man beforehand.

As near as I can tell the productions of the two had significant overlap so I don't know that the one had anything to do with the other.

Ignite Memories posted:

To no small extent, yeah but I think that, ultimately, they made each other. It was one of those perfect moments where everything lines up and succeeds beyond all expectations. They needed each other and nerds are better off for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a preview clip out for the Ben Kingsley short.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

There's basically two possible punchlines to this, that I can think of. One is Trevor falling asleep again, like he does in the movie when Stark's interrogating him. The other is something like a jailbreak happening and him slipping back into 'character'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

WB/DC needs to announce something with all these Marvel casting news bits breaking out :sigh:
Kevin Smith to direct Justice League

Hey, you said you wanted something.....

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Romero posted:

Everytime Strange gets mentioned nobody brings up that Clooney would be dope as him. He even reportedly had meetings with Feige and some other people 2 or three years ago.

That would be way, way better than Depp. Clooney could do the whole "uptight rear end in a top hat" part of the character well, and I have no doubt he could pull off the Strange-isms without them being scene-killingly goofy.

I mean, they'll never be not goofy as hell, but he could pull them off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd still prefer a looney for Mr.Fantastic. Although I wouldn't mind them going with a younger cast for FF

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Opopanax posted:

I'd still prefer a looney for Mr.Fantastic. Although I wouldn't mind them going with a younger cast for FF

It looks like it might go that way for the new one, it seems pretty set that Michael B Jordan will be Human Torch.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

According to a couple more sources, John Hamm might already be cast as Strange.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Almost certainly untrue but that's a casting that could work out.

Although personally I was cool with the old Viggo Mortensen rumor from before Thor 2.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sources say he was up against Vin diesel, The Rock, Idris Elba and Gina Carano

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Come on people. Anyone of you who have watched Dr Who for the past four years surely realise that Matt Smith can only be the perfect Dr Strange. He has just left Dr Who, surely this is an omen?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Opopanax posted:

Sources say he was up against Vin diesel, The Rock, Idris Elba and Gina Carano

Typical holiday not even bringing Donald Glover into the casting :rolleyes:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Come on people. Anyone of you who have watched Dr Who for the past four years surely realise that Matt Smith can only be the perfect Dr Strange. He has just left Dr Who, surely this is an omen?

Yeah that'd be complete bullshit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they cast John Hamm, surely it would be a complete reinvention of the character. I can't imagine anyone over there seriously wanting Don Draper to go into full "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH" mode. He would probably just become John Constantine or Harry Dresden or something.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I could see Hamm doing something like the Strange seen in Ultimate Spider-Man. Theatrical and mysterious public persona, but one on one he's a much more laid back and down to earth kind of guy who likes showing Spider-Man cool secrets of the universe.

I liked the little I saw of Ultimate Strange.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can see how you would be confused, but they wouldn't actually be casting Don Draper as Strange. It would actually be John Hamm.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

If they cast John Hamm, surely it would be a complete reinvention of the character. I can't imagine anyone over there seriously wanting Don Draper to go into full "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH" mode.
REPOST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

If they cast John Hamm, surely it would be a complete reinvention of the character. I can't imagine anyone over there seriously wanting Don Draper to go into full "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH" mode. He would probably just become John Constantine or Harry Dresden or something.

Watch him in 30 Rock
BANJO

• Locked thread