Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

1) Big Convoy has a lot of shell, but he also has a lot more of the beast mode integrated into his robot mode, than that Optimus. If you removed the mammoth bits, you'd have a really lame looking, incomplete robot. On that Optimus, the only thing you'd lose are the smokestacks.
2) BC's shell bits are shaggy hair, so it makes sense for that to be hanging off the mechanical bits.

I get that Big Convoy is nice and all, but c'mon...

the only reason they didn't remove the leg kibble from the robot too is because it's more bothersome to do. The guy is 100% pure kibble altmode. The leftover Optimus doesn't look like an incomplete robot, it just looks like some generic Optimus Prime.

There is that penguin too who is as much of a shellformer.

The Rage posted:

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUCKER

Seriously how is this lil' kid controlling his joy right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
How much did MP Optimus Prime cost on retail TRU, apparently the markup price on ebay for one is 300 bucks, and that is just not gonna happen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a vtech Dino stegosaurus? And if so, is it cool? :ohdear:

Stegosaurus best saurus.

There is one, his name is Tonn and he turns into a Bumblebee-like yellow compact car

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Ka0 posted:

How much did MP Optimus Prime cost on retail TRU, apparently the markup price on ebay for one is 300 bucks, and that is just not gonna happen.

$100 give or take a sale or coupon

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Blackheart posted:

I get that Big Convoy is nice and all, but c'mon...

the only reason they didn't remove the leg kibble from the robot too is because it's more bothersome to do. The guy is 100% pure kibble altmode. The leftover Optimus doesn't look like an incomplete robot, it just looks like some generic Optimus Prime.

Without all that, it looks like a lame roboskeleton to me. The most striking thing about big convoy is the gigantic rocket pods with the gnarly tusk spikes. Big Convoy is weird and a massive outlier for beast wars toys anyways. Probably part of it is that the only reconizable animal parts seen from the front are parts of the weaponry. The massive shell kibble looking like he's draped in furs along with the shoulders actually adds to the look to make him look like some sort of crazy barbarian warrior king. I generally hate all the organic beast wars designs because with this one exception, it looks like just a mess of fleshy animal bits hanging off a robot, but on Big Convoy, it looks more like clothing/armor.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

Without all that, it looks like a lame roboskeleton to me. The most striking thing about big convoy is the gigantic rocket pods with the gnarly tusk spikes. Big Convoy is weird and a massive outlier for beast wars toys anyways. Probably part of it is that the only reconizable animal parts seen from the front are parts of the weaponry. The massive shell kibble looking like he's draped in furs along with the shoulders actually adds to the look to make him look like some sort of crazy barbarian warrior king. I generally hate all the organic beast wars designs because with this one exception, it looks like just a mess of fleshy animal bits hanging off a robot, but on Big Convoy, it looks more like clothing/armor.

Yeah, you're right and I misinterpreted what you meant. It's a funny thing because they just managed to make the kibble an integral part of the character, and pretty successfully. At the same time Break (the penguinformer) fails at this and it's just a mess.

I think I was discussing something similar with someone once in which the guy stated he hated kibble in all of its forms, but when I asked him if he liked the G1 seekers he thought they were perfect. Anyway you look at it, Starscreams' wings ARE altmode kibble, it's just that it's such an iconic part of the design that he'd just look weird without them and everyone accepts it.

Myself, I have no problems with kibble if they at least make it look good on the 'bot. The ROTF Brawn (and HFTD Outback) mold has this huge wings and hip "armor" but he totally makes them look great. Transmetals Scavenger (a favorite of mine) just wouldn't look the same without the ant legs behind his arms.

EDIT: I hope the figure looks as good as this. I think it's the first wingblade illustration I really like.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 16, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

From the phrasing in the interview itself, it sounds like they're aiming to recapture the spirit of Animated, which i'm all for.

Is there any particular reason why everything either has to be facepalmingly retarded or gritty and dark serious business? I seem to recall Beast Wars (being the objectively best Transformers show) managed to balance both extremes pretty well, along with the occasional dick joke and implied cussing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rhinox is standing on my coffee table right now and the words "bean vines" have been rattling around my head.

Incidentally how bad is his floppy knee issue supposed to be? Mine are not stiff, but don't seem to be cripllingly loose.

I also got MP Smokescreen in this package and holy crap is he off the chain. Makes me want Bluestreak but I've always had a hard time justifying buying repaints/remolds, especially at MP prices.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
TF4 Drift Halloween costume

Apparently Drift is gonna look like a samurai. I like the design, not to mention the Bludgeon repaint potential.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ah, doriftu-san finally achieves near-total japanesedom. :japan:

The design has potential, hopefully they don't butcher the figure too much.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think that Voyager Drift in that leaked list might be a Human Alliance figure. Unless Hasbro is now totally embracing the Scale Does Not Exist thing.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Are they really selling these things at Voyager and Deluxe price point?

That Bumblebee looks like even more of a knockoff that the "Premium" Prime figure. They somehow managed to take the worst legends figure in the line and upscale it into an even worse deluxe.

edit: corrected. vvv Thanks

Arsenal_12 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 16, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Arsenal_12 posted:

Are they really selling these things at Leader and Voyager price point?

That's a deluxe and a voyager. The voyager is almost leader-sized though. Dunno why they didn't make the deluxes massive too.

Ignoring the lovely Bumblebee, that Optimus and especially the newest Predaking are a better example of what Hasbro should do if they want to make toys simpler for the kids. They also made the toys enormous and look, they even painted the rims.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Those are better than I remember most of Armada being. No Transformer larger than a Minicon made after the mid 90's should lack knees and elbows and poo poo.

I don't collect anymore but I'm really glad the third party figures exist now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

Rhinox is standing on my coffee table right now and the words "bean vines" have been rattling around my head.

Incidentally how bad is his floppy knee issue supposed to be? Mine are not stiff, but don't seem to be cripllingly loose.

I also got MP Smokescreen in this package and holy crap is he off the chain. Makes me want Bluestreak but I've always had a hard time justifying buying repaints/remolds, especially at MP prices.

Well, a very high quality KO market has sprung up around the MP cars, so you might be able to pick up a "close enough" Bluestreak for $40 or so later in the year.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So, here's an obscure transforming toy question--when I was a very young kid, I had a dump truck transformer. I hope you'll bear with me, because I was like 4 or 5, so this would be in the late 80s to early 90s, so my memory is fairly hazy.

I don't think it was actually affiliated with the transformers, but they were clearly trying to channel Optimus Prime. I want to say the legs had all four wheels, and the arms were the bed of the truck. I could completely wrong, though--it may have been a different vehicle altogether, though my gut tells me dump truck.

I remember yellow being prominent in the color scheme...and that's about it. There were probably other colors, maybe not even yellow. It made big ratchety sounds when it transformed and I loved it; I'd like to find out what the hell it was so maybe I can buy one for my nephews on eBay.

I know this is unspecific as hell, but does it ring any bells for anybody?

Edit: pretty sure it was a Go-Bot Dump Truck. Wow I just found that right the hell away

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Is it that guy in the back?

Edit: Ah, a GoBot. Good old Dumper.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Another Dark Cyberton issue has come out.

Nothing's happened. You're not missing anything.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seriously, is this what most comic crossovers are like? Because this is my first one and it's loving boring.

Edit: Also yeah, Gobots rock. Most of them are way better than their counterparts in the original G1 toys, especially Royal-T who kicks the Seekers' asses.

This dude's the size of a Minibot.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 16, 2014

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
How good are the MP car knock offs? Like, barely indistinguishable from the real ones? And is their a preferred source for them?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

catch22 posted:

How good are the MP car knock offs? Like, barely indistinguishable from the real ones? And is their a preferred source for them?

Depends on if you actually get KOs, or just third shift production

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, if you get factory overproduce you get the exact same figure, with maaaaaaybe a little risk of more relaxed quality control. The "proper" KOs are still very good quality, but they do have slight molding and detail differences that you have to look closely to detect. They also have things like different pin sizes that might or might not affect the plastic in the long run.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The Rage posted:

You know what are some awesome transforming toys? Those goddamn Switch N' Go Dinos by Vtech. Target is clearancing out the $13 set, and I picked up two last night and goddamn, so much fun for being simple. They talk, they light up, they turn into vehicles and dinosaurs and Torr the green one, sounds like Grimlock.

I have heard so many great things about those, I need to swing by Target myself and grab one or two for the little one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

catch22 posted:

You can find them on eBay pretty easy. Just search for "MP Red Alert" or whatever, and buy the $30 one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo that new MTMTE teaser!!!

Season 2, everything changes...

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

You can find them on eBay pretty easy. Just search for "MP Red Alert" or whatever, and buy the $30 one.

$30?! Jesus that's cheap. I'm guessing the eBay ones though are only knock offs as opposed to over-production? Are there sites were I'm more likely to get the latter?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh

:psyboom:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh hell yes. :unsmigghh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd be down if he's joining the crew of the Lost Light as another ensemble cast character. If he's just there to try and reignite the loving war, I can't get behind that.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

My favorite moment from the latest issue:

Why is it that I feel like nothing has been accomplished in this issue and the only crowd worth checking on is the Lost Light crew?

And that revelation. Holy poo poo. I thought that "Season 2" would be more about Tyrest and Starsaber and whatever that stole Pharma.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

No Your Other Left posted:

Seriously, is this what most comic crossovers are like? Because this is my first one and it's loving boring.
Well, so far it's better than Blackest Night, atleast. I have so much buried hate now for people who said it was cool and convinced me to read it.

quote:

Promo pics
So we've got characters implied to be on Cybertron, the Lost Light, and Earth, and atleast one of these, Wingblade on Cybertron is a separate book that's not MTMTE or RID. I wonder if there's going to be a new batch of spotlights/minis or if RID might be switching atleast some of its focus to Earth.

Edit: oh, then I came across James Roberts saying that that promo pic today is the first artwork for "MTMTE Season 2."

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Well, so far it's better than Blackest Night, atleast. I have so much buried hate now for people who said it was cool and convinced me to read it.

Oh good, confirmation that those people are nuts. Much appreciated.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DoctorWhat posted:

I am far too old and sensible to run around shouting "OMG OMG OMG" while windmilling like an excited puppy (but I'm certainly tempted). That's a simple yet brilliantly effective teaser, goddamn.

Can we please just cut to Season 2 now?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just hope this means we get a proper voyager figure of him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He totes needs to be roomies with Whirl. And it's going to be delightful once the Lost Light, the DJD, and Overlord all show up somewhere together.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just want the entire cast of Lost Light to be made toys, including Rung.

Like they're the only actual likeable cast in forever.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 16, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

catch22 posted:

$30?! Jesus that's cheap. I'm guessing the eBay ones though are only knock offs as opposed to over-production? Are there sites were I'm more likely to get the latter?

Sites that are buying the third shift figures are selling them for retail price because they're from the same factory, and they're not willing to announce to Hasbro that they bought them by selling them for cheaper. The only way you'll get them cheap is eBay.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Promo pic: I didn't even notice the first time the craziest part of that Megatron/Lost Light picture. The badge. I guess it's also possible someone else got transplanted into that body, too, since that's a thing.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Promo pic: I didn't even notice the first time the craziest part of that Megatron/Lost Light picture. The badge. I guess it's also possible someone else got transplanted into that body, too, since that's a thing.

Or it could be that After all this time he regains some of his sanity and starts turning back into the Megatron that was friends with Pax?

I doubt it, but I can dream, can't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Of course Diesel comes out the day after I ship my POL :(