Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kvlt! posted:

So almost every player I know rests their thumb on one of the pickups. I like to rest mine right at the bass of the neck (where the neck meets the body). Should I make the effort to switch to resting on the pickups or is it more whatever is comftorable? Will it make a difference in sound?

It will only make a difference in sound if it results in where you're plucking the strings. Closer to the bridge will get you a tighter sound with more bite to it. Closer to the neck is smoother.

That said, I don't rest my thumb on the pickup. I float my thumb from string to string as I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
NBD

(lovely phone picture incoming)

Fernandes Gravity.

You can tell they mostly make basses for rawk music!, but with the passive pickups, it's just a fun, nimble instrument. Compared to this, the SX I started with feels like the steering wheel on a school bus. The neck is thin and fast, and it makes playing a pleasure. I can already tell I'll be picking this one up more often, like I'd hoped.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Help me out guys! Is there any difference between this bass:
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-gsr200-4-string-bass

And this bass:
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?Ntt=gsr200m

.....besides the maple fretboard? Also, are there any advantages for bass for maple vs rosewood?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

10 Beers posted:

Help me out guys! Is there any difference between this bass:
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-gsr200-4-string-bass

And this bass:
https://m.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?Ntt=gsr200m

.....besides the maple fretboard? Also, are there any advantages for bass for maple vs rosewood?

No difference other than the fingerboard. In fact, I'm pretty sure the M in the 200M stands for "maple."

Maple is a harder wood than rosewood (and ebony harder than both of them). People SAY that the harder woods result in a brighter sounds with more bite to it... but it's incredibly difficult to hear a difference between the two, if any.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I recently rediscovered my bass after it lived under the bed for probably 10 years. I got it probably 15 or more years ago and really only ever learned a few songs by ear, but I'm feeling inspired now so I've been playing nightly and having a ball.

So quick question: I think the strings were new when I got it (it's a used Squier jazz bass), but should I put some new ones on since they've been on it for decades?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Scarf posted:

No difference other than the fingerboard. In fact, I'm pretty sure the M in the 200M stands for "maple."

Maple is a harder wood than rosewood (and ebony harder than both of them). People SAY that the harder woods result in a brighter sounds with more bite to it... but it's incredibly difficult to hear a difference between the two, if any.

My hero! :allears:

PS: Get an XboxOne already!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Kvlt! posted:

So almost every player I know rests their thumb on one of the pickups. I like to rest mine right at the bass of the neck (where the neck meets the body). Should I make the effort to switch to resting on the pickups or is it more whatever is comftorable? Will it make a difference in sound?

This is how I play, and it does make a difference in sound; be aware that if you downtune at all (or even how your bass is set up) you will likely be hitting the strings on the freboard when you pluck. This gives it a hard attack sound- since I play metal that's usually what I want but it's a personal preference thing really. I would be aware though, that this is one of those things that once you get used to it, it's hard to play differently, at least in my opinion anyway.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

10 Beers posted:

My hero! :allears:

PS: Get an XboxOne already!

It's on the list... Right behind an upright bass, a beretta CX4, and an ar15 :smith:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

Yeah there really isn't a discernible difference in sound or feel to me. It's all about the looks.

I really dig the look of maple fretboards, but you have to clean them more often since the bright colors show off your filthy human hand grease

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Nostratic posted:

I recently rediscovered my bass after it lived under the bed for probably 10 years. I got it probably 15 or more years ago and really only ever learned a few songs by ear, but I'm feeling inspired now so I've been playing nightly and having a ball.

So quick question: I think the strings were new when I got it (it's a used Squier jazz bass), but should I put some new ones on since they've been on it for decades?

Change to taste. Changing to a new set of roundwounds will get you a much brighter, crisper sound. A new set of flatwounds would be more fat and mellow. I actually prefer old "dead" roundwounds because they become chunky and growly, not as bright.

That said, you might want to check your intonation to make sure your neck hasn't warped at all after a decade of storage. There are guides to test this, but if you wanted to get this done and maybe even test the sound of different strings, I'd find a good local music store.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Scarf posted:

Now that I think about it, is there any noticeable difference in playability between rosewood and maple?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Now that I think about it, is there any noticeable difference in playability between rosewood and maple?

Playability? Not really. Some people say it affects the tone because the rosewood is softer and allows more give when you're fretting, and the varnished maple resists it more, giving it a more brittle tone. Most, if not all, tonewood discussion is speculation unless someone's got a big book of acoustic resonance patterns and diagrams of the physical properties of wood imo. I will say that I'm not overly fond of having a rosewood fretboard and, say, Fender's unpainted maple headstock; just as I probably wouldn't be fond of a maple fretboard and a painted headstock.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I always thought bends felt easier on a (glossy) maple fretboard

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Playability? Not really. Some people say it affects the tone because the rosewood is softer and allows more give when you're fretting, and the varnished maple resists it more, giving it a more brittle tone. Most, if not all, tonewood discussion is speculation unless someone's got a big book of acoustic resonance patterns and diagrams of the physical properties of wood imo. I will say that I'm not overly fond of having a rosewood fretboard and, say, Fender's unpainted maple headstock; just as I probably wouldn't be fond of a maple fretboard and a painted headstock.

Your fingers, pickups, and amplification style have much more to do with how you sound than a fretboard does. The one thing is that you have to condition a rosewood fretboard, otherwise it dries out and that's no good

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

The one thing is that you have to condition a rosewood fretboard, otherwise it dries out and that's no good
I think this is overstated, and maybe only applies to a few specific climates. I have a MiM Jazz neck that's pushing 20 years old that's never been conditioned, only the built-up gunk cleaned two or three times and it is fine. Same with a MIA Strat I have that's nearly as old as well.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Yeah, gently caress that poo poo. If Leo Fender wants my fretboard to be conditioned, he can rise from his grave and do it himself. Lazy rear end in a top hat. The fretboard drying out is nature's way of telling you "time to buy a new guitar".

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Oiling up the fretboard makes it feel good though and you can't put a price on that

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The only oil your fretboard ever needs comes from your fingers...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

So, tell me the group consensus on the Schecter Omen Extreme 4? There's a fairly good looking one for sale at Guitar Center for $200.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

So, tell me the group consensus on the Schecter Omen Extreme 4? There's a fairly good looking one for sale at Guitar Center for $200.

That was my first real bass! Beautiful instrument, my drummer bought it off me because he thought me getting rid of it was a "dumb loving decision."

Anyone had any experience with the Orange Terror Bass 212 combo? The BT500C? My current setup is certainly loud enough - Portaflex 500 into a 410 and 118 cabs - but muddies up quickly. I like what I'm hearing on youtube videos for the Orange but I'm curious about how loud it can get while maintaining clean headroom. I play with a fairly exuberant drummer and my lead guitarist has a (I think) Spider Valve 112 MkII from Line 6.

I don't ever see any around Kalamazoo to try out in person though. I doubt my Guitar Center even has a Terror Bass head.

I may just be getting antsy because I've always liked Orange's looks + the promise of easy tax return money.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 19, 2014

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Revvik posted:

Anyone had any experience with the Orange Terror Bass 212 combo? The BT500C? My current setup is certainly loud enough - Portaflex 500 into a 410 and 118 cabs - but muddies up quickly. I like what I'm hearing on youtube videos for the Orange but I'm curious about how loud it can get while maintaining clean headroom. I play with a fairly exuberant drummer and my lead guitarist has a (I think) Spider Valve 112 MkII from Line 6.
Get rid of that 118 for another (matching) 410 if you want things to be less muddy with your current setup. Or just drop the 118, unless your 410 is really inefficient I don't see how it can't keep up with a 40 watt combo amp.

The best thing that Orange combo has going for it is its size. The general consensus on isobaric cabs seems to be they let you fit more speaker in a smaller size cabinet, but don't quite get as loud/low as a regular setup. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-isobaric-cabs-sp212-sp410-questions-604366/

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I started noticing some "chutting" I guess from my emperor cab tonight. I think this the term when too much noise is coming from the speaker ports.

I have yet to open it up so I did to see if anything was loose. Nothing was and also noticed there was no insulation. But i did take some tape and tape over the ports and the try it out. The noise is just about gone.

question is will this put too much stress on my speakers, should I consider just adding insulation instead? anything else I should consider doing.

It is only when I pump the v4 and lay on the E string but it was too annoying for me to not look into. Seems like this is a fairly recent problem and do not really recall it being much of an issue in the past, anything in particular I should look for if i open it up again?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Get rid of that 118 for another (matching) 410 if you want things to be less muddy with your current setup. Or just drop the 118, unless your 410 is really inefficient I don't see how it can't keep up with a 40 watt combo amp.

The best thing that Orange combo has going for it is its size. The general consensus on isobaric cabs seems to be they let you fit more speaker in a smaller size cabinet, but don't quite get as loud/low as a regular setup. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-isobaric-cabs-sp212-sp410-questions-604366/

Gave it a try at practice tonight with just the 410 cab, elevated on the other, unplugged, cab. Sounded much clearer. Can probably get away with just replacing the bargain bin Peavey speakers and save for a full tube head later in the year. Thanks!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I started noticing some "chutting" I guess from my emperor cab tonight. I think this the term when too much noise is coming from the speaker ports.

I have yet to open it up so I did to see if anything was loose. Nothing was and also noticed there was no insulation. But i did take some tape and tape over the ports and the try it out. The noise is just about gone.

question is will this put too much stress on my speakers, should I consider just adding insulation instead? anything else I should consider doing.

It is only when I pump the v4 and lay on the E string but it was too annoying for me to not look into. Seems like this is a fairly recent problem and do not really recall it being much of an issue in the past, anything in particular I should look for if i open it up again?

Have you got another amp that you can try with it, just to make sure it's not a problem with the V4?

I hate to say it, but it may be that the ports are simply not large enough for the volume of air being pushed by the drivers. I've seen a few posters on Talkbass make that exact complaint about Emperor's bass cabs.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Juaguocio posted:

Have you got another amp that you can try with it, just to make sure it's not a problem with the V4?

I hate to say it, but it may be that the ports are simply not large enough for the volume of air being pushed by the drivers. I've seen a few posters on Talkbass make that exact complaint about Emperor's bass cabs.

Haven't tried any other heads yet but I played the head through other cabs and wasn't an issue.

simply putting the tape on there has fixed it, I am just curious if I will blow a speaker for doing so or not.

Also if there is any thing else to consider?

thanks for the info though. the strange part is that I got this cab from torche (well they used it on tour) and they are a very loud band.

I will try another head when I can, that can push that much low end but can't really figure that its the problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Any opinions on this, goons?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/4265112562.html

It's basically everything I'm looking for, except that place is absolute bitch for me to get to so I don't feel like contacting him unless I'm 100% sure I want it.

I don't even need a new bass but I want an Ibanez because they are sexy. I'm not even that good :( (yet)

(Plus my current bass is a lovely fender copy that needs some major fret work, plus the action is far too high but it buzzes anyway on the lower strings so I can't lower it. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it)

I have a musical background but I'm new to guitars and basses. I know next to nothing about gear and I don't know what to look for.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

10 Beers posted:

I own a Schecter Stiletto and I love it dearly. Dont know the differences with the Omen but I can say I like what Schecter puts out. Bought mine for 200 euros used (worth a little under 500 brand new), I think you're getting a great deal at $200 too.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Renegret posted:

Any opinions on this, goons?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/4265112562.html

It's basically everything I'm looking for, except that place is absolute bitch for me to get to so I don't feel like contacting him unless I'm 100% sure I want it.

I don't even need a new bass but I want an Ibanez because they are sexy. I'm not even that good :( (yet)

(Plus my current bass is a lovely fender copy that needs some major fret work, plus the action is far too high but it buzzes anyway on the lower strings so I can't lower it. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it)

I have a musical background but I'm new to guitars and basses. I know next to nothing about gear and I don't know what to look for.

You're in luck, I own an SRX-650 which is nearly identical to that bass, but with blue stain and a pickup select switch. It's a good bass. Pros: comfortable, chunky well-made bridge, light weight, best bass necks around (imo), sexy non-lumpy design. Cons: the pre-amp is too quiet and makes the bass's output lower than my passive basses

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Update: I am an idiot.

Checked the cab, even put electrical tape on the wires near the speaker thinking it could be rubbing. Still had an issue. Checked head, borrowed another and still had an issue. Tried other cab, same thing.

The guitar duh.

I have a short scale SG EB-3 knock off and recently down tuned it. the extra slack made all the E flabby which made the amp buzz.

Tuned it back to E, only the 3/4 fret is still giving issues but that is only if I let them ring out. Thinking about tuning a half step up might get rid of it but that would make playing/following a bit weird.

Knew this when I got the bass but it just plays and feels so comfortable. Don't know why I didn't go to this in the first place.

Any suggestions to get rid of the last buzzed notes? I currently have .90 on the E. maybe use flat wounds?

edit: when I hit that note and push on the mesh the noise stops completely. is there any feasible way to hold the grill there?

thinking if running a wide-flat headed pin and on the other side have it held in by jamming it an eraser on mesh on the other side on the inside?

or maybe sew some thread into place? dunno.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 21, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

What kind of picks would you recommend for Venom style shredding as well as black metal-style tremolo? I bought a Dunlop 2mm and a Big Stubby 3mm, they're both alright, but I want to explore some others that might not be available at the music store.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

10 Beers posted:

After a 10ish or so years absence from playing collegiately/semi-professionally, that is the bass I purchased last year. I had actively walked away from playing bass, sold my old stick. I was sitting at GC last year playing another model of my previous bass and found myself hating it. I put it back on the used rack and lo... sitting there all quiet a few basses down was a Schecter Omen Extreme 4.

Finish on it was beautiful (as I'm sure you can see and know). I picked it up for giggles, because anything named OMG OMEN EXTREEEEME had to be just sill...oh hey this thing sounds drat good. Wow, drat good. And the solid mahogany transmits a ton of vibration to you. You can feel this thing resonating (which couldn't be said for my old Koa).

At 200 bucks, jump on it. Active pickups and preamp with independent treble and bass, pickup blend and a master volume. As a starter bass it's fantastic once you get it dialed in with a good setup, and honestly I think it could hold anyone for a long time unless eventually a certain genre's tonal requirements pointed you towards something more indicative out of necessity.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Getting back into bass after pawning my bass guitar somewhere around 10 years ago.

The new toy:

MIA 2013 Fender Jazz Bass

The bass I pawned was an early/mid 90s p-bass plus, although I can't find an exact replica of it online. It had the standard p-bass pickups and a hum bucker pickup at the bridge. I tried out some p-basses and j-basses at the store and settled on the one above, I really dig the tone on it. It's fun playing again after so long, once I get back up to speed I will be looking for some local people to play with.

I did have one question, my old amp was a peavey bw tnt 115 which had a nice chorus effect on the amp. The amp I picked up does not have the effect, does anyone have suggestions for a good chorus effect pedal? I do like the weight of the new amp much much better.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

dude ranch posted:

What kind of picks would you recommend for Venom style shredding as well as black metal-style tremolo? I bought a Dunlop 2mm and a Big Stubby 3mm, they're both alright, but I want to explore some others that might not be available at the music store.

V-picks are my favorites for bass. I especially like the Snake (4.1mm) and the Psycho (5.85mm).

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

mem posted:

Getting back into bass after pawning my bass guitar somewhere around 10 years ago.

The new toy:

MIA 2013 Fender Jazz Bass

The bass I pawned was an early/mid 90s p-bass plus, although I can't find an exact replica of it online. It had the standard p-bass pickups and a hum bucker pickup at the bridge. I tried out some p-basses and j-basses at the store and settled on the one above, I really dig the tone on it. It's fun playing again after so long, once I get back up to speed I will be looking for some local people to play with.

I did have one question, my old amp was a peavey bw tnt 115 which had a nice chorus effect on the amp. The amp I picked up does not have the effect, does anyone have suggestions for a good chorus effect pedal? I do like the weight of the new amp much much better.

boss CE-5 not the bass chorus. they can e found relatively cheap too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Alleric posted:

After a 10ish or so years absence from playing collegiately/semi-professionally, that is the bass I purchased last year. I had actively walked away from playing bass, sold my old stick. I was sitting at GC last year playing another model of my previous bass and found myself hating it. I put it back on the used rack and lo... sitting there all quiet a few basses down was a Schecter Omen Extreme 4.

Finish on it was beautiful (as I'm sure you can see and know). I picked it up for giggles, because anything named OMG OMEN EXTREEEEME had to be just sill...oh hey this thing sounds drat good. Wow, drat good. And the solid mahogany transmits a ton of vibration to you. You can feel this thing resonating (which couldn't be said for my old Koa).

At 200 bucks, jump on it. Active pickups and preamp with independent treble and bass, pickup blend and a master volume. As a starter bass it's fantastic once you get it dialed in with a good setup, and honestly I think it could hold anyone for a long time unless eventually a certain genre's tonal requirements pointed you towards something more indicative out of necessity.

As of this morning, they still have it. I get my taxes done on Friday, so we'll see how it goes!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

boss CE-5 not the bass chorus. they can e found relatively cheap too.

What's wrong with the bass chorus?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mem posted:

I'd take a look at Electro-Harmonix's chorus pedals.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

CisSTAR 19 posted:

What's wrong with the bass chorus?

I don't think it is as versatile the high/low cut in the ce-5 makes it very tweakable. And it can be found for pretty cheap since it isn't that great for guitar. Best bang for your buck to me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh poo poo, I forgot Tech21 and MXR both have bass choruses as well

Tech21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9lsd0d108

MXR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R77XPtKgvy4

Both seem pretty sweet, and I'm not really a chorus guy... The MXR has a flanger circuit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
I'm selling my bass amp, a Trace V8, was going to post the listing in here because it's boss as gently caress and wanted to give any UK goons a heads up on it but I dunno if such behaviour is frowned upon, is it against the rules or not?