Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

rudds posted:

Those posts weren't even unreasonable, I just wanted to point out in this case there was sort of a reason we were (admittedly) playing like garbage.

I do often wonder about the psychology of raging against other people playing video games, though. What mental itch does it scratch? Is it a desire to feel superior about something? Indignation that others would watch less than perfect play? I don't give a poo poo how people play games when I watch them so it genuinely baffles me why others get so disturbingly worked up about it. Someone should commission a study.

There's not any one reason. You put up content, people watch it and comment on it, because that's what the internet is for. No one here actually dislikes your content or you, or they wouldn't be watching it in the first place. Also no one is actually raging in real life. You put way more effort into this post than most people do in a typical "lol Brad is Brad at Brad" post; the thing is, when you put your skills at the front and center of a video, people WILL comment on them, because that's one of the main things you CAN comment on.

Watching people play video games has become a huge thing. As a result, it's only natural that analyzing playing habits is also a thing. And when patterns start to emerge, such as you being bad at games, they become memes. Hell, you've even capitalized on this by having a video feature specifically designed around watching you "break". Why are you surprised that people are feeding this cycle?

P.S. I think doing a video feature on Demon's Souls is a fantastic idea, and you should be commended for taking the initiative.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Man, Demon's Souls looks much better than Dark Souls.

For the Castle area I'll go with that over Undead Berg and the Asylum has the best atmosphere of either game and just gets better and better but the other areas are kind of lackluster to me. They have their moments, don't get me wrong, but I'd take Blighty over Valley of Defilement any day and Mining place never tickled me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We should all just go back to commenting on his silly accent.

'Ach laddie ahm brad shoemahcker heres a wee bit o' doteh doteh doteh.'

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

People have been 'raging' at other people playing games since games were invented, have you never sat watching a friend play a game and said 'wait wait wait you should totally do this' or they miss a simple jump or something and you give them poo poo over it? It's not even an inherently malicious thing. There's no way you can look at the part where Brad is just dropping pills and destroying the same pills over and over and over in that one part of the quick look, accomplishing nothing, and NOT be like 'WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING', it's awful and hilarious and stupid all at once.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What if someone made a MOBA with Dark Souls' combat system?

This was a joke (?) but I'd be interested in playing a slower-paced MOBA. Although, that would probably mean fewer overall back-and-forth battles so that games wouldn't be 1hr+.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Saint Freak posted:

We should all just go back to commenting on his silly accent.

'Ach laddie ahm brad shoemahcker heres a wee bit o' doteh doteh doteh.'

We'll get to that in ahwhhile.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Brad I guess you're mixing YouTube comments where people are intentionally incendiary with the people who are your paid subscribers. The latter do not care that you are bad, unless you are misrepresenting a game they think deserves recognition really badly by ignoring its systems.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I only get frustrated when I want to see the player progress and they're missing something obvious. Seeing someone play bad in a multiplayer game doesn't bother me at all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

rudds
Aug 14, 2013

Did somebody say DOTA?
Note I wasn't talking about just me or even Giant Bomb, but anyone who plays games on the Internet. It's hard to find a video or stream anywhere without somebody yelling about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rudds posted:

Note I wasn't talking about just me or even Giant Bomb, but anyone who plays games on the Internet. It's hard to find a video or stream anywhere without somebody yelling about it.

It's hard to find anyone doing anything without somebody yelling about it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

rudds posted:

I think it's more frustration than genuine rage. Like watching someone slip on the same banana peel over and over.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

rudds posted:

It's okay Brad. You're my wife's favorite crew member!

Also, gently caress Dr. Luigi.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rudds posted:

It's hard to find anything anywhere ever in the history of human achievement without somebody yelling about it.

People make thing => Some people REALLY REALLY LIKE IT, a lot of people like it, a lot don't care for it, Some people REALLY REALLY HATE IT. It's how literally all creative works/entertainment work.

Like it's worse on the internet, but it's not exclusive to it. The internet just exaggerates and accelerates human nature.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 16, 2014

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just happy to see some Demon's Souls again. After a certain point I just don't want to see yet another Dark Souls playthough.

Also never feel bad about "exploiting" something in the souls games. The game tries to kill you anyway it can so you should take any advantage you can like your Soul Arrow.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Brad for real watch the fzero gx speed run. That man was not human.

Goes to everyone else here as well.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just able to catch up on the Demon Souls but it's pretty drat solid so far. "Breaking Brad" is clearly false advertising (but i dig it because that gimmick is not my cup of tea anyway).

Also for me it's very rarely the actual "bad playing" but more the player's associated unfortunate reactions (anger, deflection, complaining/whining) that detracts from the viewing experience.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Brad for real watch the fzero gx speed run. That man was not human.

Goes to everyone else here as well.
I did, good stuff, thanks. Is there a list of runs with associated twitch archive links or do i have to scrub through the 12 hour segments myself?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 16, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I did, good stuff, thanks. Is there a list of runs with associated twitch archive links or do i have to scrub through the 12 hour segments myself?

Sorry for a Kotaku, but it does the job.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just able to catch up on the Demon Souls but it's pretty drat solid so far. "Breaking Brad" is clearly false advertising (but i dig it because that gimmick is not my cup of tea anyway).

Also for me it's very rarely the actual "bad playing" but more the player's associated unfortunate reactions (anger, deflection, complaining/whining) that detracts from the viewing experience.

Behold, the only reddit thread I've ever actually clicked on: http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread/

Every run in the main stream and about half the bonus stream with links to the proper times in the archives.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Reddit has vods for the bonus stream as well.

e: heh.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kotaku had one job and still managed to gently caress it up by exluding the awesome bonus stream. Good job Kotaku.com or should I say Obamahitler.com

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Ugggggh I'm watching the Pathfinder videos...again.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

randombattle posted:

Kotaku had one job and still managed to gently caress it up by exluding the awesome bonus stream. Good job Kotaku.com or should I say Obamahitler.com

What's even funnier is that the author basically admits he ripped it straight from the reddit thread anyway.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I have failed the thread by providing a Kotaku link. I am shamed. It shall go on my record like a red mark.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Strange Quark posted:

What's even funnier is that author basically admits he ripped it straight from the reddit thread anyway.

It really is just the icing on it all cause you can tell he was so lazy he couldn't even scroll down half of a page to get it. Say what you will of Reddit but that's just lazy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Everyone should also do themselves a favor and watch the Global Yoshi's Cookie League in action, too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Another Person posted:

I have failed the thread by providing a Kotaku link. I am shamed. It shall go on my record like a red mark.
I'm yelling at you for committing this horrible crime against posting culture

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm yelling at you for committing this horrible crime against posting culture

Why you gotta go raging at me man?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

What's even funnier is that the author basically admits he ripped it straight from the reddit thread anyway.

God drat I am in the wrong line of work ENTIRELY.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

The only thing allowed from Kotaku is Patrick's cat video.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Brad needs to grow some Demon Souls balls and go for it sometimes or this is going to be a boring as gently caress breaking brad, he spent so more time running far far away from enemies to "make choke points" or let his general anxiety cause him to freeze when faced with more than one path. He even knows about the souls games and how much of the game is literally trial and error usually resulting in death and I'm not yelling at you fake Brad, I can criticize your faults and still like you.

Previous breaking brads have spoiled me :( He'll just bring up a faq on his ipad eventually and follow it step by step

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Brad's playing Demon Souls very intelligently and I don't feel like he needs to artificially run headstrong into poo poo when he doesn't need to or want to just for the sake of boosting a death counter.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, Brad is playing the game properly. I don't think we need Brad to run in like a headless chicken for this to be entertaining. We already have Vinny playing devil's advocate - I feel that will be enough.

I think it will be more painful to watch him bang his head against an encounter because he doesn't pick his fights.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Brad's playing Demon Souls very intelligently and I don't feel like he needs to artificially run headstrong into poo poo when he doesn't need to or want to just for the sake of boosting a death counter.

Yeah, this. He's actually playing the game really well. I'd prefer to watch him keep nailing it then run the areas one billion times.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah I have no idea what the gently caress people are possibly complaining about wrt the demon's souls run.

Brad is actually playing it pretty loving perfectly.

In fact he could have gotten to the boss if Vinny wasn't loving with him and making him waste time at the dragons.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blister posted:

Brad needs to grow some Demon Souls balls and go for it sometimes or this is going to be a boring as gently caress breaking brad, he spent so more time running far far away from enemies to "make choke points" or let his general anxiety cause him to freeze when faced with more than one path. He even knows about the souls games and how much of the game is literally trial and error usually resulting in death
guys Brad is playing this game WRONG by not loving dying enough, because stupid "trial and error" suicides are the only way to play this game correctly like i want him to

You have to be kidding me

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Another Person posted:

We already have Vinny playing devil's advocate - I feel that will be enough.

This is what's going to cinch it for me, I think - Vinny's already toying with Brad and when they both get to parts of the game Vinny hasn't actually played through at all (instead of playing through forever ago) things are going to kick into high gear.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brad actually did reasonably well, and he should keep doing what he's doing because it's the smart way to play. Artificially rushing into things to make the stream more entertaining would be stupid as hell.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Hakkesshu posted:

Brad actually did reasonably well, and he should keep doing what he's doing because it's the smart way to play. Artificially rushing into things to make the stream more entertaining would be stupid as hell.

Are you joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I actually got kind of annoyed at Vinny at the end, it would have been rad as gently caress if Brad had taken the boss in a single run.

• Locked thread