Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Caros posted:

It is absolutely amazing to me that they can take an automatic purchase like FF6 for my ipad and turn it into that. There are no words for this stupid poo poo.

The only question left is whether TouchArcade gives it a full 5 stars, or only 4.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MuLepton posted:

According to the Beamdog forums, you need to export your save/character in BG1, you'll get a pop-up with "Open in..." and can choose BG2.

Alternatively, you can use iFunbox.

Thanks, the former method worked for me.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Stop buying final fantasy you idiots

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Will it matter at all that I haven't played BG1? In terms of character creation, loot, etc. I mean.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell no.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Should I bother with any character IAP besides Dorn?

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

I have never played BG games instead playing the Fallout games at the time. Thinking of picking up one for my iPad. Is 1 or 2 better?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SpclKen posted:

I have never played BG games instead playing the Fallout games at the time. Thinking of picking up one for my iPad. Is 1 or 2 better?

Yeah, I want to know this too. The price is a little much to dive into getting both as a newcomer.
Gameplay/control, story, visuals and overall writing... Which wins out at which?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Caros posted:

It is absolutely amazing to me that they can take an automatic purchase like FF6 for my ipad and turn it into that. There are no words for this stupid poo poo.
Ya know, I feel like all the knee-jerk reactions to the FFVI port are too harsh.

After looking through this gallery, I'm still excited to play it:
http://imgur.com/a/m0iag#4

I dunno, I liked the FFV port and I know it's not the definitive version, it's just a handy port to take with me on my phone. Sure it's kinda pricey now, but I usually only pick them up when they're on sale a few months after release anyhow.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sad lions posted:

Yeah, I want to know this too. The price is a little much to dive into getting both as a newcomer.
Gameplay/control, story, visuals and overall writing... Which wins out at which?

SpclKen posted:

2's the better package, but the games are very much direct sequels, unlike Fallout 1 to Fallout 2 -- a big selling point, in fact, was the ability to import your party and all your loot and ddecisions and stuff from one game to the next, long before Mass Effect was doing it. If the setting and what you know of the story really appeal to you I'd say do yourself a favor and play them in order, but if you're more in it for the combat or you aren't necessarily committed to playing all the way through, you could skip to #2

Edit: and if you're concerned about price buying them both I feel you, but do keep in mind these are long-rear end games-- it'll probably be a while between your purchase of #1 and #2

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Also, since it is a direct sequel, 2 starts you off at level 7 or 8, if I recall correctly. If you're not familiar with the old-school AD&D rules it might be less confusing to start with 1 and build your character from scratch.

On the other hand, the early bits of the first game can be ball-bustingly difficult for a newbie so it may be less frustrating to start off being able to cast Magic Missile more than once per day.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
If you're only going to play one of them, I'd say play BG2. (This without knowing how they play on iOS, it should be noted -- I've only played PC versions.) You may miss some of the story beats, but you could always read a plot synopsis of the first and get up to speed.

Starting at level 1 in an AD&D game (as you do in BG1) is a little daunting as you're pretty fragile and you don't have a lot of combat options. You start at level 7-10ish in BG2 if I recall (depending on class) so you may find that more accessible (more spells/skills/etc). Some might find that a little harder, though, unless you're familiar with 2nd edition AD&D rules. Fortunately for me those are the only ones I actually know.

I'm a little biased, though: I've finished BG2 a couple of times but I've yet to actually finish BG1. As such I can't really speak to the whole of BG1's story. I did like the major villain in BG2 more, though, and BG2 is satisfying large in scope.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Has there been any news on a release date for FTL: iPad? Last I heard it was early 2014 and I'm really itching to get this on a tablet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
NOT SOON ENOUGH!!

Last we heard they wanted to release in January.

Caros
May 14, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Ya know, I feel like all the knee-jerk reactions to the FFVI port are too harsh.

After looking through this gallery, I'm still excited to play it:
http://imgur.com/a/m0iag#4

I dunno, I liked the FFV port and I know it's not the definitive version, it's just a handy port to take with me on my phone. Sure it's kinda pricey now, but I usually only pick them up when they're on sale a few months after release anyhow.

The quality of life improvements look okay. But the actual graphics look like three different art styles crammed together.

I would have been happy to play the original with the new gameplay 'fixes'. And I would have been happy to play an updated game if they had fully updated it. With this they have newly rendered character's on top of old Gen poorly upscale backgrounds.

It looks like they got bored halfway through a remake and quit once they'd finished the sprites.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I haven't kept up with iOS games in about a year, but I've got some traveling to do coming up and I'd like to get a game or two that could hold my attention for a while. I don't mind paying a bit. It has to work on a 4S. Something addictive or something with depth would be nice, but I find that I don't really like games that try to emulate console games instead of playing to the platform's strengths.

Games I've enjoyed in the past:

-King of Dragon Pass
-iDracula
-Knights Onrush
-Ascension
-Summoner Wars
-Punch Quest
-Dungeon Raid
-I thought Mage Gauntlet was fun but way too easy to really get into.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Caros posted:

The quality of life improvements look okay. But the actual graphics look like three different art styles crammed together.
The badly upscaled SNES enemy sprites meshed with RPG Maker-meets-Bratz characters on top of inconsistent backgrounds really drives home the World of Balance/Ruin theme. :shepface:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I haven't kept up with iOS games in about a year, but I've got some traveling to do coming up and I'd like to get a game or two that could hold my attention for a while. I don't mind paying a bit. It has to work on a 4S. Something addictive or something with depth would be nice, but I find that I don't really like games that try to emulate console games instead of playing to the platform's strengths.

Games I've enjoyed in the past:

-King of Dragon Pass
-iDracula
-Knights Onrush
-Ascension
-Summoner Wars
-Punch Quest
-Dungeon Raid
-I thought Mage Gauntlet was fun but way too easy to really get into.

I would recommend

-swords and glory (http://appshopper.com/games/sword-glory)
-tactical warrior (http://appshopper.com/games/tactical-warrior)
-Loststar tactics (http://appshopper.com/games/loststar-tactics)
-devil's attorney (http://appshopper.com/games/devils-attorney)
-World of goo (http://appshopper.com/games/world-of-goo-2)

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 16, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
edit: nvm

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

NOT SOON ENOUGH!!

Last we heard they wanted to release in January.

It won't be January. They're not a few days away from submission, so Feb is our best hope now.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
Any opinions on Galaxy on Fire 1/2? Anything resembling Escape Velocity would be good, if anyone remembers that game from the pre-OSX/iOS days.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I just want too add that not only do the character sprites in the FFVI remake look god awful, the interface also looks like poo poo. It's like some kind of custom window theme for early 2000s Linux. And the character art... Like someone traced over the original Amano character portraits in Manga Studio, or submitted them to that 'make yourself into a cartoon' Facebook ad. The environments seem like they could have been upscaled in an snes emulator's smoothing plugin, except there is just enough difference in the details to suggest that they did a little more work than that, but to no improvement of effect.

I don't really have any desire to play the game ever again, but I might have bought this remake if the graphics had been updated to a level commiserate with the capabilities of a modern smartphone, and if they'd used that power to add variety to the environment and more aesthetically-pleasing definition to the sprites. It's not like there aren't legions of amateur artists who do vastly better work for free. There's no excuse, I think, for this garbage other than that some project managers over at SE must think this poo poo actually looks good. That or they hate us. They literally hate us. I think that's probably it. They hate us because we deserve to be hated, because we actually like(d) their lovely games.

God... So mad. Mad about video game.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

snooman posted:

Any opinions on Galaxy on Fire 1/2? Anything resembling Escape Velocity would be good, if anyone remembers that game from the pre-OSX/iOS days.

I skipped 1, but 2 was excellent. The first 3rd of the game is free with 2 expansions at $4.99 each so try it out.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
its a shame we can't get Fallout 1 and 2 on iPad. Imagine how many people would buy that.

Oh well, BG 1 and 2 is pretty loving awesome.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
People gettin mad about final fantasy graphics crack me up. Play 8 if you want *~Your Visualz~*. You nerds just spent the last fifteen years foaming at the mouth about how the story makes VI the best one.

vv Why, did you also give 15$ for a 20 year old game to a company that doesn't deserve anyone's money anymore?

e: Let's see what else: People knew the graphics sucked beforehand and they've already used up their goodwill with their ios track record.

My posting might be bad but it's a sight better than the buyer's wisdom I'm seeing.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

There's a difference between merely satisfactory graphics and grotesque/distracting graphics. Your post is bad.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Zigmidge posted:

People gettin mad about final fantasy graphics crack me up. Play 8 if you want *~Your Visualz~*. You nerds just spent the last fifteen years foaming at the mouth about how the story makes VI the best one.

The original FF6 was really good-looking though? It's full of gorgeous spritework and pixel art. I don't think expecting a remake/re-release to not look significantly worse is unreasonable.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
It says a lot about the power of nostalgia that people are willing to pay a premium for a port of a game from 1994 when there is a plethora of high-quality games available for a third (or less) of the price. This applies even more when that exact game has decidedly better versions elsewhere that can be played for free.

Square Enix might suck, but they're going to continue pumping out garbage as long as people keep buying it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...So, uh, I was going to ask about good RPGs for this iPad I got for Christmas, but if it's a bad time maybe I should just go...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

The original FF6 was really good-looking though? It's full of gorgeous spritework and pixel art. I don't think expecting a remake/re-release to not look significantly worse is unreasonable.

Especially considering they used the remake graphics for final fantasy 3 and 4. They kept the pixel art of Final Fantasy tactics. Why not use the remake pixel graphics for 5 and 6?

Final fantasy 5 and 6 are easily in the top 10 most fun RPGs to play. No need to grind, no stupid low drop rates to finish quests lines, no fetch quest, the mechanic are simple and work (except sketch and evade), and the plot were fun even though they were a little silly. It is just really disappointing that they decided that to spend the extra effort to make new graphics, just to make the game look much worse.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The sprites look bad against the characteristically dark backgrounds of FFVI, but I kinda like them in battle (even though they're the same). I dunno why - it might be because it reminds me of some of the early Final Fantasy box art. Something about the game at least looks better than the FFV iOS port, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Has anybody played BG2 yet?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Just buy it already.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Dragonrah posted:

Just buy it already.

lol goddamnit fine

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best thing ever is playing BG1 and then the addon. Then importing your gently caress rear end awesome character with your awesome sword into BG2 and then plowing through that and the addon. Owns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, back in 2000.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

lol goddamnit fine

Good. For the record, I double dipped on it (bought the PC version on release) and played through on the PC and don't regret buying it on my iPad. I'm going through the first game again on my iPad with the intention of trying to solo the entire series. I haven't touched the BG2EE on iOS yet, but barring any game breaking bugs, it's great.

Edit: Maybe it should be triple dipped. I bought the CE back in the day.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004
As someone who had never heard of slitherlink or associated puzzle games, I come to you, oh great mega thread, to ask if anyone has played them and if so which of the iOS slitherlink apps are the best?

For those of you who were like me, ignorant of this game concept, it was described to me as minesweeper meets picross and that seems to be right in the sweet spot, although it doesn't seem to make pretty pictures. Still the puzzle concept seems to be pretty rock solid and a nice alternative to Picross.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

commander nojj posted:

So final fantasy 6 finally showed up in the google play store, cross your fingers for a surprise release tomorrow!

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/15/final-fantasy-vi-is-live-on-google-play/

Anyone who buys this is an rear end in a top hat because you're only encouraging them to keep churning out poo poo that looks worse than what middle school kids can make with RPG Maker. The people doing these remakes are so loving bad at it I'm blown away by the fact they're still around.

Bad Munki posted:

To me, the sprites look like they just fired up an emulator and ran them all through whatever super double eagle 2X SAI quadstep autokrunk filter was there and called it a day.

If it looked like a ROM filtered through the Super Eagle Engine or whatever it'd look far better than that and the UI wouldn't be stupid as hell.

Fallom posted:

Jesus Christ that looks so bad. What the hell were they thinking?

"Enough idiots will buy this that we still turn a profit. Let's get this cheap team of hacks to remake FF7 for iOS and Android as well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I am playing Hoplite right now and it is more visually pleasing than FFVI on iOS. More effort probably went into randomizing the map layouts in Hoplite than the entire reproduction of FFVI's environments.

If the character sprites in FFVI were straight-up 100% copies of the ones from nimble quest, with the incongruent perspective and everything, that would look better.

Kairosoft flip-phone game ports look like Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel Ceiling in comparison to iOS FFVI's Sonichu Fan Art Drawn in MS Paint with a Thinkpad Pointing Nub.

In 2004 Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada consulted a fortune teller for advice on where to locate his new company headquarters. This caused an exodus of talent from the corporation, mostly because the talent didn't want to have to move to a different city just because their CEO was gullible and superstitious. Also FFVI for iOS.

And this:

Edit: really enjoying Hoplite.

• Locked thread