Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SwitchbladeKult posted:

So I was having space issues on my HDD and this happened:

Nihil, maybe you should add something about this to the OP.

Yeah, a warning about those logs is probably needed. Not sure where it should go, maybe in the settings section?

---

There should be a patch coming within days to "fix" Slumlord (as in remove the funny but unbalanced glitches, not actually fix the horribly unfun and unbalanced map), which will also finally bring some of the user-designed helmets. With any luck, looking forward to burning some GP on the Predator helmet and especially to mercilessly hunting down the :furcry: helmet. Ideally with a :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I just hope at least one of these helmets will have high HRV recharge so we'll see some variety.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
It just amazes me that it took them this long to put in the new helmets. They put in all those terrible heroes no one wanted and crappy maps before something they promised almost a year ago? :wtc:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It just amazes me that it took them this long to put in the new helmets. They put in all those terrible heroes no one wanted and crappy maps before something they promised almost a year ago? :wtc:

Because you can buy the helmets with in-game cash, so they put the heroes in first because :10bux:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I just started playing this game. Every time I try to search for a ranked game it says there was an error. Is this normal?

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
I love how the screenshot they're using to advertise the helmet flash sale has one helmet that doesn't have custom skins, and another with a custom skin you can't buy in the sale :P

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I just started playing this game. Every time I try to search for a ranked game it says there was an error. Is this normal?

Is this a PS4 issue or PC? I haven't logged in for a few weeks and I don't remembered if ranked servers was a thing on the PC version. If it is a PC issue, double check your filter settings. It's a little touchy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ranked servers are a feature that never materialised, unfortunately. God knows why they left the button in.

Speaking of unreleased features, people just found out that there have been "competitive" versions of several maps (smaller, meant for 4v4 S&D) in the game files for quite a while. There are also "destroyed" versions which are mostly just cosmetic changes for the co-op zombie mode. Whatever that means is unknown since Zombie could teach Trappist monks the virtue of silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_UkwqcRLvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yImXjMF3e7M

Competitive Heavy Metal Map Preview: http://youtu.be/kq7yOSe0TB8
Destroyed Piledriver Map Preview: http://youtu.be/baIpRg2TGpM

And there's supposed to be a Competitive Nuken (Siege map) too.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Competitive Heavy Metal Map Preview: http://youtu.be/kq7yOSe0TB8

That guy is horrible in his videos.

"Like, you know where the B point is in Domination, well they added a hallway in that room to make it easier to get across the map."

He doesn't even show it in the video. When you preview a map, you don't talk about it, you show it off.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's the one he went through a few seconds earlier at 0:37, fyi.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
The new patch is coming out today, or at least that's what the message saying the servers were shutting down for maintenance would imply.

Hooray for new hats, I guess.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
All new hats have the same stats as the Taux helmet, and cannot be permed with GP.

God
loving
dammit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Helmets are out, all five of them.

Good:

- They look really cool. Maybe a bit more sci-fi than the others, but it might just be habit that makes the old one look normal.
- The veteran camo looks really sweet on them
- The furry helmet actually looks more like Optimus Prime than anything

Bad:

- By the descriptions they're supposed to have different stats, but they're bugged and all have the same stats as the T4UX (medium health, max armour, low HRV recharge). I'm in the 1% who likes playing with low HRV but everybody else will stay away from them until this is fixed.
- 1500GP/week to rent, no perm GP option. 600 ZEN for perm. I guess that's fair since helmets with similar stats are pretty fungible.

EDIT: hahahahah are you making GBS threads me

VERY BAD:

quote:

These helmets will be on sale the week of the new patch launch, and only that week! They will not, repeat WILL NOT be on sale again for the foreseable future. Not in Flash Sales, not in Holiday Sales (sorry Valentines day, but you can suck it) and they wont be in any free giveaways.

So after MONTHS of no content they now want to cashgrab as much as possible for these helmets in ONE WEEK, while also releasing them with bugged stats. Great job PWE :thumbsup:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2014

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I'm so mad.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I really hope they get their :10bux: out of this waste of a loving update.

In poo poo that actually matters, do we still have a mumble server? Everytime I try to connect to it, it gives me some form of error.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wish a F2P game could make it two years before going totally limp in the dick

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Why would they make them GP-permable? There has to be SOME way for them to get money out of the game. And if the stats weren't dead-stock-standard the statcrafters would bitch to high heaven about how OOOOOOH my GOOOOOOOD there's ONLY ONE GOOD BUIIIIIIILD NOOOOOOOOOWWWW

Not that 600 Zen for a loving hat is a good thing, but at least I can understand how it got this way.

Besides, it took, what, four months for those reskins to come on sale for GP? Black Bonebreaker, Yin-Yang, those ones.

NihilCredo posted:

- The veteran camo looks really sweet on them
What is that poo poo

It looks like a graphics glitch on someone wearing a Slant helmet

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't have a problem with the helmets not being GP-permable, because they're mostly cosmetic and dearth of content has led to a severe GP inflation anyway. These days I'm not buying anything except magnum ammo and protection gear, which barely makes a dent in your GP income.

I do have a problem with them being one-week-only. When you haven't put any items out for months, you don't make the first new items into SUPER RARE EXCLUSIVE ONE TIME ONLY CONTENT BUY IT NAO!!!11!!

Not that it matters since the community manager has already gone back on her word anyway :lol: (quote: "They will get featured again, and if the stats change significantly they may well get a "relaunch" week" Why did you even claim that "They will not, repeat WILL NOT be on sale again" if you're going to contradict yourself a few hours later :psyduck:)

Also that's the Carcharodon helmet and it looks sweet as balls, fear my peacock of death :colbert:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I don't mind new stuff being zen-only, but these helmets were designed by the community.
It's quite the dick move to wait for over a year to introduce them (most of the designers have probably quit by now), offer them in very limited windows and demand zen for them.

e: They'll get proper stats "soon" according to the Zombie studio lead.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

The Jumpoff posted:

In poo poo that actually matters, do we still have a mumble server? Everytime I try to connect to it, it gives me some form of error.
Sorry I meant to update, I didn't pay the server costs again this year since it seemed no one really used it anymore.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

real_scud posted:

Sorry I meant to update, I didn't pay the server costs again this year since it seemed no one really used it anymore.

Alright, that's what I figured. Yeah, as much as I like this game, and the potential it used to have, I think the community and the stagnation of content has kinda sent it into a death spiral of sorts (at least in my eyes).

Although at least I know I can walk into a Metro-only lobby and pull out my SMG and hose motherfuckers for days. :getin:

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

The Jumpoff posted:

Alright, that's what I figured. Yeah, as much as I like this game, and the potential it used to have, I think the community and the stagnation of content has kinda sent it into a death spiral of sorts (at least in my eyes).

Although at least I know I can walk into a Metro-only lobby and pull out my SMG and hose motherfuckers for days. :getin:

This makes me sad. The game had so much potential. Rip blr

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
My hope is that the new release on PS4 means that Zombie is still committed to Blacklight, and that the lack of content or communication for the past while has been a result of the push to get that out the door. I mean, getting in on the ground floor of a major console is hopefully a sign that they haven't put it on the back burner entirely. With new exposure from the console crowd, maybe we'd see more frequent content updates? I'd be pleased as punch if Blacklight didn't end up dead in the water. But I like to stay optimistic.

This one week community helmet thing does have a lack of forethought written all over it though. And what's with the timing? Releasing it during the same week as your existing helmet flash sale seems counterproductive. Most people who might have been interested in picking up something from the flash sale are probably too distracted by the long awaited community helmets to pay the other sale much attention.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

For those new to the game I would just like to point out that I have close to if not over 700 hours playing this game and I would still highly recommend it if you are new to the game. That said, I've been playing this stupid F2P shooter for seven hundred hours :shepface: and this poo poo just drives me crazy. gently caress you Zombie or PWE, whoever is responsible for the stagnation of this wonderful title.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

For those new to the game I would just like to point out that I have close to if not over 700 hours playing this game and I would still highly recommend it if you are new to the game. That said, I've been playing this stupid F2P shooter for seven hundred hours :shepface: and this poo poo just drives me crazy. gently caress you Zombie or PWE, whoever is responsible for the stagnation of this wonderful title.

Jesus, I only have 150 hours (not counting my hours playing the beta or the non-steam version). Really, they need to push out new maps (NOT like Slumlord, though, I played that map for the first time today and I think the people in charge of that decision should be banned from involvement in video games), but what else is there really to put out? There's really no more receivers they can put in (unless they want to put in a double-barreled shotgun sidearm or something else that fits a niche role, like the Breech Loaded Pistol), and are there really any parts they could add that would do anything meaningful other than possibly be a reskin or a one/two number difference from any other part? In all honesty, what else is their left to add other than new maps and maybe new armor?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

Jesus, I only have 150 hours (not counting my hours playing the beta or the non-steam version). Really, they need to push out new maps (NOT like Slumlord, though, I played that map for the first time today and I think the people in charge of that decision should be banned from involvement in video games), but what else is there really to put out? There's really no more receivers they can put in (unless they want to put in a double-barreled shotgun sidearm or something else that fits a niche role, like the Breech Loaded Pistol), and are there really any parts they could add that would do anything meaningful other than possibly be a reskin or a one/two number difference from any other part? In all honesty, what else is their left to add other than new maps and maybe new armor?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear what I meant. I honestly would be fine with no new content forever. I want them to work on refining the game, balancing things for good reasons (instead of nerfing things because the MLG-wannabe-pro-420-spergs in the community complained), fixing bugs, getting ranked working, and more or less just following through with all the promises they made in the past instead of these weak rear end attempts to placate their players and milk :10bux: out of them every few weeks. This community helmets fiasco is just the icing on the poo poo cake that has been the handling of this game post Steam launch.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 17, 2014

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7155241&posted=1#post7155241

They banned the AR. What the ever living gently caress.

Standard tactical knight. Too OP for tournament players to handle.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Considering that's all I use on the PS4 and I wipe the floor with everybody, I can see why.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Clocking just under 3400 (yes, threethousandfourhundred) hours and yeah, what you said.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Merica posted:

http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7155241&posted=1#post7155241

They banned the AR. What the ever living gently caress.

Standard tactical knight. Too OP for tournament players to handle.

Haha yeh I read that gem the other day when I went looking for info on the community helmets. At first I thought it was somebody trolling, but nope. I don't understand why the BCL has such a vendetta against fun. AR is OP. Brimstone is OP. Field Blackout Kit is OP. Playing the game is OP.

They take the competitive side way too seriously for a game where you can shoot rainbows out at will after squishing someone with a hardsuit falling from the sky.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Haha yeh I read that gem the other day when I went looking for info on the community helmets. At first I thought it was somebody trolling, but nope. I don't understand why the BCL has such a vendetta against fun. AR is OP. Brimstone is OP. Field Blackout Kit is OP. Playing the game is OP.

They take the competitive side way too seriously for a game where you can shoot rainbows out at will after squishing someone with a hardsuit falling from the sky.

Flanking Op. Sprinting OP.
Tournament players are the biggest scrubs ever. waaaaaa I got killed gun is OP.

I have a great idea for a BLR tourney. Lets take away everything that makes the game BLR.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Merica posted:

Flanking Op. Sprinting OP.
Tournament players are the biggest scrubs ever. waaaaaa I got killed gun is OP.

I have a great idea for a BLR tourney. Lets take away everything that makes the game BLR.

If I ran a tournament, the rules would be this:

-No Explosive Tomahawks (because I loving hate that I don't have them yet, and let's all be honest they're still a little OP)
-No AMR for S+D games.
-NO loving SWARM LAUNCHERS
-One BAR per team just so the game doesn't end up as a camp fest
-One HRV blackout per team, just so the game doesn't end up as a camp fest
-Probably have a max of two Prox mines per team as well, at least in S+D

Otherwise, go hog wild. You want your entire team in Hardsuits? Do it. Want an entire team using AK470's? Do it. You wanna grab a katana and try and hanzo steel people? Do it.

My tournaments would be the most fun.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

The Jumpoff posted:

If I ran a tournament, the rules would be this:

-No Explosive Tomahawks (because I loving hate that I don't have them yet, and let's all be honest they're still a little OP)
-No AMR for S+D games.
-NO loving SWARM LAUNCHERS
-One BAR per team just so the game doesn't end up as a camp fest
-One HRV blackout per team, just so the game doesn't end up as a camp fest
-Probably have a max of two Prox mines per team as well, at least in S+D

Otherwise, go hog wild. You want your entire team in Hardsuits? Do it. Want an entire team using AK470's? Do it. You wanna grab a katana and try and hanzo steel people? Do it.

My tournaments would be the most fun.

I would do DOM. Everything is allowed. Everything in the game has a use in the right situation. If you buy a swarm and kill a whole team who are trying to cap your point that to me sounds like good strategy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I'm going to defend the AR ban - it was the gun that everybody used and it made tournaments boring as hell to both play and watch. There's no premium server setting for "-5 damage to this particular gun", unfortunately. And even if you balanced it through some other penalty (no gear or whatever), lots of people would still pick it because they have clocked in so many more hours with it than with any other weapon.

I still think, and have unsuccessfully tried to argue, that not allowing parts customisation is loving stupid, though.

Merica posted:

I would do DOM. Everything is allowed. Everything in the game has a use in the right situation. If you buy a swarm and kill a whole team who are trying to cap your point that to me sounds like good strategy.

Swarm + Heavy Weapons Refill and there's no reason to ever use anything else after 3-4 minutes into the game. Especially since spawn trapping is a thing in this game.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 17, 2014

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Merica posted:

I mean, in that situation, that's fine because you have to line up the shot. I just hate panic swarming a single person. I mean, I guess it's them wasting a rocket, but CP is so easy to get anyway it doesn't really matter.

But yeah, DOM would be what I ran, most likely. Or i would run separate divisions for every game mode.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I'm going to defend the AR ban - it was the gun that everybody used and it made tournaments boring as hell to both play and watch. There's no premium server setting for "-5 damage to this particular gun", unfortunately. And even if you balanced it through some other penalty (no gear or whatever), lots of people would still pick it because they have clocked in so many more hours with it than with any other weapon.

I still think, and have unsuccessfully tried to argue, that not allowing parts customisation is loving stupid, though.

Swarm + Heavy Weapons Refill and there's no reason to ever use anything else after 3-4 minutes into the game. Especially since spawn trapping is a thing in this game.

I will do the swarm + refill or airstrike + refill thing sometimes in pubs for fun but I would be way more effective just running in and blasting people. Most often it's a waste of my time. It is fun though.

Either way, I think we all can agree that “progotbanned” is a raging douche.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Either way, I think we all can agree that “progotbanned”most of the pro players for this game are raging douches.

This is how I see it, at least. I hate how people think that them devoting a larger amount of time and energy into something makes them better than everyone else. I'm mostly writing this because last night I saw some dude from a clan stack get really, REALLY arrogant at a pubbie because he was talking about the clans practice session in lobby chat and the pubbie questioned him about it.

Edit: Let's talk about what guns and armor setups we're using instead of how this game is slowly being choked to death by cash grabbing publishers!

I really want to like the BPFA. It lets me run quickly and it's so fun to use, but I can hardly ever kill people with it.

This is my go-to for just about everything. It doesn't particularly do anything well, but it certainly doesn't do anything horribly wrong either. Basically it's an AR and that should tell you everything.

I need to find a proper place to try this thing out. I really want to try it out on Containment, because i feel like I would be giggling to myself the entire time. Also, if I replace the stock with the other one I have, I can get EXACTLY 0 aim spread.

And then, there is my trusty, trusty SMG. I like Metro. A lot. So I sought out to make a weapon that would absolutely chainsaw through enemies in the confined spaces of Metro. And that's how I got this little weirdo. I might switch out the extended mags for express mags for extra fast, though.

My HAR is...interesting. I just don't have many parts to make it what I actually want, which is a low-spread and recoil murder machine.

As for my armor set-up:

I am completely in love with this set. Max equipment slots, over 180 HP, pretty speedy where it counts, and decent HRV recharge. I have the best of all worlds in this set-up, I feel.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 18, 2014

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

The Jumpoff posted:

Edit: Let's talk about what guns and armor setups we're using instead of how this game is slowly being choked to death by cash grabbing publishers!

:ohdear: But those posts always make others realize how worthless I am at this game, as I select my builds according to how they look and sound, not how they perform during the actual missions.

This is my favorite assault rifle, its a FA Bullpup so it's bad by default. But I like how it sounds and feels and the IR scope just rounds the whole package nicely.

This is my favorite sidearm, the pump action shotgun is not bad in itself but I've selected it not cause it's a good sidearm but because I love pump action shotguns and I love slapping optics on them.

And this is how I currently look while running around, I love heavy-style armor and I love beating people up, so I have a variety of items that help me do that, like the shiels, the hammer and the tomahawk. I would propably do better with a speedy loadout, but I just like the heavy feel better even if its not the best choice in terms of gameplay effectivness. I am also the kind of rear end in a top hat that likes to randomly place mines everywhere.

But it's OK, cause the average player is even worse than me.

...or at least does not play aggresivly enough to get enough kills in time.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

I really want to like the BPFA. It lets me run quickly and it's so fun to use, but I can hardly ever kill people with it.

Try putting a +dmg tag on it, as 54 is the magic number to kill the ever present breakguard + foxcat combo in four bullets. That one bullet less is a big deal for the bpfa. The TechBAR or BAR-02 grip should also help getting spread and recoil even lower.

My AR

M4X

BPFA

BAR

And current armor build

I'll switch to Breakguards & foxcat and use a +3 health tag if one of the regular pubstompers joins the room.

e: \/\/\/ - yep! :v:

Lima fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Lima posted:

I'll switch to Breakguards & foxcat and use a +3 health tag if one of the regular pubstompers joins the room.

You are a regular pubstomper.

• Locked thread