Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

the spyder posted:

I can't wait to get these doors functional.

Are you planning on bringing them in stacked two or three tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The height was more of a "Well, we might as go as tall as we can. Oh and let's make the doors 12ft tall..."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I note that your answer was evasive. :allears:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I don't think I got a true sense of scale until the last few posts. Once finished that place should be awesome. I'll be envious when I'm in my cramped 1 car garage.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I bought another FC! This is my 4th S5 vert, haha.

1990, 96k 5spd. Run and drives decent, but no title and the chassis has been completely hacked... Literally, the front clip is a red from the strut towers forward with NASTY stick welds. This ones going straight to the scrap yard after I yank every valuable part.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 10, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how do the FC convertibles handle? Are they worth fixing up if had cheap?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Like a convertible. The only way I would have one again would be if I did a full turbo II swap (Engine/Trans/Diff) with 300whp and a full suspension.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well just like everyone else, I am sick. This weekend was a bust compared to other weekends, but things are still moving along.

1st off- We had some awesome winds that did this to one of my garage doors.

Well poo poo. I called a friend and we took the panel down and fixed the hinge in the vise. My temp top-of-panel support failed and allowed the door panel to pivot back and fold over. I ran some strapping across this time and picked up the last bit of lumber to finish the upper tracks on both garage doors. If they had been installed, this would not have happened.

Oh and I picked up the TERRIBLE 90 Vert.

96k, not bad.

Wait, what happened to the ignition?

OHGAWD that's a good 1/4" of bondo.

Why does this have a S4 Automatic pressure sensor? Probably the same reason it has a S4 air box/radiator/ect. It was all on the clip they swapped over.

See the red? Entire engine bay was rattle canned. I'll get a better picture of the SHITTYFUCKINGWELDS holding this POS together.

Thankfully it runs amazing.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I think you need to do some tests about how strong the welds are that hold the front end on, for science. I suggest building/finding a large jump and see what happens on landing.

thanks to this thread I am now looking at rx7's on CL. I found this '85 GSL-SE that looks pretty nice. Depends how much he wants for it. I have been planning on picking up another mr2, but I have always wanted a rx7.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The best part of that convertible for me is not the massively bodged front end or the amateur widebody kit made out of bondo but the UV-yellowed ignition switch. That car has been that rough for a long time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Negromancer posted:

thanks to this thread I am now looking at rx7's on CL. I found this '85 GSL-SE that looks pretty nice. Depends how much he wants for it. I have been planning on picking up another mr2, but I have always wanted a rx7.

I guess you live near me, I was seeing that come up when I was looking for parts for my '85.

GSL-SEs are cool if you like the (now-inevitably-broken) luxury options, a beefier suspension and drivetrain, and about 300lbs more weight. I prefer the GSL package with the carbureted 12a; feels more... connected to my foot I guess, the Bosch-alike '80s EFI isn't the most responsive. Also, the 1st gen leather seats like you'll find in a -SE are not great. The series 3 (84-85) cloth seats hold up better, are more comfortable, and grip your butt better.

I had a GSL and a GSL-SE back to back about 10 years ago. The entire time I was driving the -SE, I just wanted my GSL back. Now that I am ruining my life with another RX-7, I got a GS and am building it to GSL-spec where it counts (rear end).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh gawd I've made a terrible mistake and sold my 08 BMW 135i daily driver- and I have NO idea what I want to buy. I've literally gone the full range of crazy cars in my head. Maybe someone here can qualm my lunacy.

Things I did not like about the 135i:
1) Room- I have a 6yr old and a beach house, these do not mix well. The car was literally stuffed to the brim every time we would head over.
2) Thin sidewall tires- my commute is over TERRIBLY unmaintained roads.
3) OHGAWDIMGOINGTOBREAKIT- It was too nice, I felt bad every time I tossed something in the trunk or found my son had snuck something sticky in/tracked mud in.
4) 22mpg could be better
5) $400 waterpump?!?!

(Things I loved: The power, the handling, the suspension, the bluetooth, hill stop assist, 6spd manual, sound system, I'm going to miss it dearly :()

I guess I am looking for the following:
1) More room
2) Something that can take bumps
3) Not as important- but AWD would be awesome for the mountain and beach in the winter.

I'm craving a wagon, specifically an older Audi or BMW. I missed a 2002 Audi Avant 5spd/128k for $5k. My only concern is I commute ~45 miles every day at ~45mph. My banks got a 1.9% rate on 05 or newer vehicles, so that has me leaning towards something else. I already have 2 FD's for fun cars and should probably put the extra money in to savings (or parts for them, lol).

The practical side of my says buy a commuter:
2013 Ford Fiesta ST
2006-13 Mazda 3 or CX-5
2007 Ford Escape Hybrid (My mom has one and it's surprisingly decent.)
2010-13 Audi A3 TDI

The idiot inside of me says IMPRACTICALITY IS AWESOME (drat you craigslist):
2011 Mitsubishi Evo
2011 E93 M3
2012 Subaru WRX/STI wagon

Time to start trolling craigslist...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 17, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A CX-5 with a manual trans would be sweet, that's pretty much my dream family car, but I guess it's minivan time for me until I can afford one :(

I imagine it's got to be lacking in the power though, you should drive one and report your findings :)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The only thing I can add is the back seats in the fiesta are comically small, and the ride on the ST is more than harsh.

My buddy has an SE with the Ford racing suspension package (~$300), and it's a joy to drive both in smooth roads and bad ones.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
lecia,

I will stop at the local dealer and see if I can find a 2013 for a decent price and test drive one. I'm interested in them, I'm not sure if the front will ever grow on me though.
*Edit- Wish I liked grey, haha. About $5k less then MSRP: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/4249895727.html

The backseat is a good thing to know about. I've got mostly 6' tall friends and even fitting our shorter SO's in the back seat of the 135i was uncomfortable.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 17, 2014

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Mazda5.

Pros:
-Manual transmission
-Good fuel economy
-Decent handling
-Parts commonality with the 3?
-On the small side for MPVs, so it's easy to maneuver in tight spots

Cons:
-It's a minivan (is that a con?)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
We are currently trying to sell our 2009 Mazda 6s. It's automatic, but it handles awesome, has great power, plenty of room, and it doesn't blend in with the rest of the cars in it's class. I just replaced the pads and rotors on the front and we just had the parking lot dings fixed. We're on the wrong coast, but if you're at all interested, I'll post up some pics.

We love it, but we are trying to shed some debt. We'll take what we get after paying off the loan and probably buy an 01-02 Volvo V70 (preferably a T5 with a manual).

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Based on your constraints if it were me I'd probably get the WRX wagon and good all weather floor mats.

But what I did with similar constraints in my own life was by the wife a Mazda Tribute (Escape) and by myself a BRZ. I've been getting almost 30mpg without trying.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Mat_Drinks posted:

Based on your constraints if it were me I'd probably get the WRX wagon and good all weather floor mats.

But what I did with similar constraints in my own life was by the wife a Mazda Tribute (Escape) and by myself a BRZ. I've been getting almost 30mpg without trying.

Or for even more space, an '04+ forester XT?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Practical... wagon... hmmm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-4-Door-2013-cts-v-wagon-manual-6-speed-black-diamond-ebony-recaro-9380-miles-/221355760067

In all seriousness, the regular CTS Wagon is probably just as good and costs a lot less.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I forgot option F- my wifes preferred choice. She drives a 06 Mini S and really, really wants a 97+ 4.0/5spd jeep. If I were smart, I would buy the $5k 99' Wrangler off craigslist and take care of the laundry list of maintenance the Mini has and just drive it, saving the $600/m in car payment/insurance/extra fuel a WRX or M3 would cost me. A CX-5 is also looking like the only sane option at this point, haha.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ironblock posted:

Practical... wagon... hmmm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-4-Door-2013-cts-v-wagon-manual-6-speed-black-diamond-ebony-recaro-9380-miles-/221355760067

In all seriousness, the regular CTS Wagon is probably just as good and costs a lot less.

I love those wagons, but I bet it's closer to $50k at end :(. I would do something really stupid and buy a used GTR for that price.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm starting to realize as much as I would LOVE a STI wagon, it's just as practical as my 135i was for the most part. That's not stopping me from checking one out today though. I'm going to do the smart thing and make our general "year" budget this weekend based on last years pay and go from there. Practicality may win out sadly.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

the spyder posted:

I forgot option F- my wifes preferred choice. She drives a 06 Mini S and really, really wants a 97+ 4.0/5spd jeep. If I were smart, I would buy the $5k 99' Wrangler off craigslist and take care of the laundry list of maintenance the Mini has and just drive it, saving the $600/m in car payment/insurance/extra fuel a WRX or M3 would cost me. A CX-5 is also looking like the only sane option at this point, haha.

This isn't a bad option at all. I'm pro-anything that makes it so people don't have car payments, and the Mini is perfectly serviceable until summer when you could sell it and pick up an older wagon of some sort with AWD without the winter tax on those kinds of vehicles.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
We're sitting really financially sound right now, I used my bonus to pay off our CC dept and with the car loan gone, I'm sitting with zero debt. :feelsgood:
I know it won't last- school for the wife next year triples in cost (yay nursing!) and I need to rebuild my savings post shop/White FD purchase, but I'm totally treating myself to something awesome with the tiny bit left over from selling the car/paying off debt.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mazdaspeed 3 is a good wagon, MPG's be damned :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had the same issue with my 1 series. Have a 5 year old, and baby on the way last summer. Bought the smallest rear facing infant seat per several reviews, there was no way to fit that plus a booster seat. I miss it, but it was the right decision.

I've looked at wrx wagons, and it's just too small. My unicorn be-everything car is the last iteration of the V70r with a manual, maintenance costs be damned.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm torn between a Dodge Caravan or an E39 wagon :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I really like the look of the lancer sport back but gently caress cvt only

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

They'll both be shitheaps in their own regard.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
UNrelated: The super low bid I mentioned for the two lifts out of the closed service station a page back was accepted. Just need to deal with the paperwork/payment next week and pick them up. I'm selling one, as we only have one "pad" for single 2 post. I'd love to buy a 4post for the 2nd bay eventually.

(1) Symmetrical 9k Rotary lift
(1) Asymmetrical 9k Rotary lift

the spyder fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 18, 2014

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I have those at work, they're fine but they don't work very well for low cars. Which one are you keeping and which are you selling?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've got to know, how super low exactly?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cakefool posted:

I've got to know, how super low exactly?

Too low. The last ones I could find sold for $2250 +shipping through a wholesaler that bought them at auction in Detroit. Both will end up costing me less then one from him, without shipping. Selling one will make it very cheap. I paid more for the FC's I just bought, cheap.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 18, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I have those at work, they're fine but they don't work very well for low cars. Which one are you keeping and which are you selling?

I set our pad at 12' from the garage door so I could keep either symmetrical or asymmetrical lift. I did not even think about dealing with lowered cars because my old Bendwill was such a PITA and I figured anything had to be better then that. I will measure the arms and decided off that- either one will work fine and for the price, I literally can't complain.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 18, 2014

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

the spyder posted:

I set our pad at 12' from the garage door so I could keep either symmetrical or asymmetrical lift. I did not even think about dealing with lowered cars because my old Bendwill was such a PITA and I figured anything had to be better then that. I will measure the arms and decided off that- either one will work fine and for the price, I literally can't complain.

after a second look, the symmetrical one looks like the kind of low profile lift I'm talking about. The lift arms are either square or rectangular, and i think i can see in the picture that the lift arm doesn't look as tall on the symmetrical one.

EDIT: forgot to mention in the other post that we have a low profile version of the same lift that works just fine with lowered cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Correct, the symmetrical has rectangular tubing. Which is odd, the Challenger I looked at was opposite- the symmetrical had square tubing and the asymmetrical had rectangular tubing.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

leica posted:

I was given a 97 base model caravan with the only options being 3.0 and air conditioning that doesnt work

It has been the most reliable, useful, boring vehicle I could ever imagine. I get 25 highway if it's just me and it's got good torque for city driving

i take out the seats and can haul a liter class sportbike in the thing or put them in and haul 7 people

but drat is it boring. I will say I can hustle the drat thing faster than most people would expect.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NWDub posted:

I was given a 97 base model caravan with the only options being 3.0 and air conditioning that doesnt work

It has been the most reliable, useful, boring vehicle I could ever imagine. I get 25 highway if it's just me and it's got good torque for city driving

I had a '99 in the family that got given to us by the in-laws, we had it for two years before selling it off. The only thing that was really killing it was rust, not one single problem with it ever besides one speed sensor on the trans, that's it.

I'm leaning towards getting another one because I can get an '07-'08 with ridiculously low miles in perfect condition for 5 to 6k and I wouldn't have to do anything to it but regular maintenance for 100k miles. The key is to stay away from the larger "Grand" versions with the 3.8 V6, the 3.3 V6 smaller van is the bullet proof one.

And yeah they are faster than you would think, it's a plus for sure.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I had a good friend of mine stop by for a visit and smack some car sense in to me.

In the name of practicality I need to ignore the STI/Evo and keep in mind I'm after a commuter.
1) Must fit four adults and sometimes a car seat.
2) 30mpg+
3) AWD- This is optional, but would be great.
4) Decent sized cargo area

My bank is offering 1.9% on anything 2005 or newer, which removes all the cheap 02' wagons. With that in mind, I started looking at the following:
Subaru Forester XT
Honda Element
Ford Escape/Mercury Hybrid
Audi A3

This puts me closer to $12k and with the extra $$$ I could finally build my 20b block up and get it installed in my 93 R1. I'm ok with sacrificing a fun DD, if it means I get my 20b FD finished sooner. :D