Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

hooah posted:

Try MightyText. I've been using it for a while. It has a nice Chrome extension for your computer.

Just subjectively, did anyone notice slowdowns on the Stock but rooted 4.3 S3 when using MightyText? I was getting poor performance all over the place with it installed, that disappeared when I removed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/01/16/new-google-drive-android-api-released-allows-for-fast-and-seamless-experience/

New Drive API. This seems significant. I think one of the knocks for using cloud services for device sync in some apps were that the available "slots" were too small for some types of data. This should help quite a bit if an app has all of Drive to use to store cross syncing data.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Heners_UK posted:

Just subjectively, did anyone notice slowdowns on the Stock but rooted 4.3 S3 when using MightyText? I was getting poor performance all over the place with it installed, that disappeared when I removed it.

I noticed a lot of slowness straight after installing it - but it seems to have fixed itself up with a reboot.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Xemloth posted:

I wonder what's happening then, ever since I updated to 4.4 I'll leave my phone on my desk for a few minutes then when I look at it there is no signal/mobile data connection and airplane mode is set to on. Not sure what to try from here then.

Ever since updating to 4.3 and beyond (CM11) I've had connectivity issues related to Wi-Fi not auto connecting and dropped signal... It fixes after an airplane mode toggle though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same issue on my Nexus 7, but turning off WiFi Optimization fixes it (at the cost of sleep battery life.) I don't think phones have that option though.

Airplane mode isn't turning itself on, just connection loss.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Hey, Just wondering if anyone has heard of an app that can do this:

I am looking for something that will make me confirm texts before sending them to certain contacts if the text contains key words from a library that I could set.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kid posted:

Hey, Just wondering if anyone has heard of an app that can do this:

I am looking for something that will make me confirm texts before sending them to certain contacts if the text contains key words from a library that I could set.

Accidentally sext your mom?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Spekkio posted:

I noticed a lot of slowness straight after installing it - but it seems to have fixed itself up with a reboot.

I ended up ditching it and going back to AirDroid, which seems to work better if you use their sign in process (not Google's)

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Is there a decent caller id app out there?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Anybody have any productivity/organization apps they could recommend, especially for college students?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Yesterday afternoon, my Android Pro Widgets twitter widget stopped updating. This morning I tried logging out and back in, but when I tried logging in, I got a message saying "Twitter login failed, make sure time is set correctly and try again." I've checked, and the date and time is correct. What gives?
This was fixed today, by the way.

Now if only gReader would fix The Old Reader sync I could rest easy.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

J Greedy posted:

Anybody have any productivity/organization apps they could recommend, especially for college students?

Hey I have no idea if it's any good but I came across this while digging through the app store this morning and it looked interesting with decent reviews:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gabrielittner.timetable

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Couple of unrelated requests:

Is there a goon recommended daily deals app? I don't want to have to have Groupon, etc each as individual app.

I'm living overseas (UK, from Canada) and have a couple of people who like to text with me back and forth. Normally I don't notice the cost, but last month ended up paying £10 in overseas fees, and want to start texting over Wi-Fi. Is this possible?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

J Greedy posted:

Todoist is the best I've found so far.

serbp
Nov 30, 2013
Hey, is there anybody else here that uses Google Music? I'm using the free trial for all access and I think it's quite nice. My music feels much more organized than with Spotify, and I can actually add full albums to existing playlists, unlike Spotify. It's missing some songs that Spotify has, but it seemed to have like 95% of the music I listen to.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Sure, plenty of us are using Play Music All Access, it's really nice and if you hopped on it at launch it was $2/month cheaper.

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

DemonMage posted:

Sure, plenty of us are using Play Music All Access, it's really nice and if you hopped on it at launch it was $2/month cheaper.

Yeah, I read about that sale when I was reading about all access. I only just really started looking into this recently though. Even though I've only been using it for about a day, I'm really impressed with it. The only issues I have with it is the way you upload your own library is kind of awkward, and like I said, they don't have quite as many songs as Spotify, but they still have a large amount, and unlike Spotify, you can upload what they don't have if you have it yourself. If everything keeps going well, I'm probably going to cancel my Spotify subscription later this month and use this instead.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

RE: the $2 discount on GPMAA. I have that. If I cancel my subscription now and then re-subscribe at a later point, will it be at the lower price or the full price? For $8 a month I may just keep it, though.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Pretty sure it would be at the regular price if you cancelled and later re-subscibed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lags posted:

Hey I have no idea if it's any good but I came across this while digging through the app store this morning and it looked interesting with decent reviews:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gabrielittner.timetable
I nabbed Studious yesterday, which seems to do some of the same things with a few less features. I'll try this one too!

edit: got rid of Studious and using Timetable now, it seems pretty sweet, thanks!

Parker Lewis posted:

Todoist is the best I've found so far.

And this one. I'm not particularly pleased happy with the UI on Wunderlist.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 18, 2014

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Can anyone recommend a personal wiki app of some sort? I used ZuluPad on the PC a long time ago, and I'd like something similar on my phone. Basic text markup with self contained hyper links or something. Thanks.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

myron cope posted:

RE: the $2 discount on GPMAA. I have that. If I cancel my subscription now and then re-subscribe at a later point, will it be at the lower price or the full price? For $8 a month I may just keep it, though.

A few months back I lost my debit card and had a new one issued. My All Access was shut off a couple weeks later because it was tied to that old card and I had forgotten to change it. When I added my new card and resubscribed I kept the same discounted price. I did resubscribe the same day that it was cancelled as I use All Access every day so I caught it soon so I don't know if that played a role in me keeping my discounted price or what. YMMV though.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

myron cope posted:

I had the discount but unsubbed a while ago in favor of Rdio. I just checked All Access and it wants 9.99 again if I try to resub.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Any idea why Google Keep would suddenly use a lot of battery juice? Over the last 10 hours it used 20% of the overall power consumption (18 mins of CPU time, 1 hour overall activity) more than any other app or service. I haven't actively used Keep for days on any device, so what gives?

There also has been about 10mb of traffic from Keep that I can't account for.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Also if you hopped on it at launch and pretended that you lived in the US it was half the price of the inexplicably more expensive price that would later show up in your half-baked non-American country which Google secretly hates. Hooray! I mean, Shh, they haven't caught on yet.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Edit: As I was typing this I realized I should try the podcast player - and it worked!

I am trying to find an app that will play mp3's - these are actually not music, but recordings of radio shows, specifically old loveline shows from lovelinetapes.com. I usually download them to dropbox and just open them from there on my phone, or just download it directly on my browser on my phone and then open it from there.

So for some reason, most apps won't even play them at all. But I have found three that will: Poweramp, Winamp, and NRG. I tried the trial for poweramp first, and it would frequently crash, stop working, and when I would pause it, it would lose the place, and so on. Winamp worked once in a while, but would stop when I minimized the app, and crash, and so on.

NRG works better than these two, and I actually spent the $5 to get the full version. But I'm pretty unhappy with it. It often will take two or three tries to open the file, and then will often lose the place when I minimize it. Also it's difficult to navigate a minute or two back or forward in the recording, and when it hits the 45 minute mark you can't navigate anymore.

I like listening to podcasts as well, and I love the functionality and ease of using a podcast app (I use podcast addict) to play them. Is there any app that can play these mp3 recordings with a level of ease that is somewhat comparable to podcasts? Or at least will work and not crash?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 19, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Have you thought about trying something like Mort's Audio book player? It should work perfectly fine for those and will remember your position for each file.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
What's the best remote desktop app(s)?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Are there any music creation apps that support the microphone? I'm curious if there is an app that I can sing/hum into that would quantize the input into MIDI or a similar format, that I could then export to a desktop audio program. Basically it would enable lazy-mode on my part when I think of a tune and want to save it for later.

edit:

I just found one app like this, but it was really bad. If anyone has recommendations for good sequencing apps in general, that'd be great too.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 19, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Mourning Due posted:

I'm living overseas (UK, from Canada) and have a couple of people who like to text with me back and forth. Normally I don't notice the cost, but last month ended up paying £10 in overseas fees, and want to start texting over Wi-Fi. Is this possible?

You can't text over wifi. If you want to send instant messages which is all texts really are, get your friends to use Hangouts, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, or any of the other similar IM platforms which work over data networks rather than carrier networks.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Any idea why Google Keep would suddenly use a lot of battery juice? Over the last 10 hours it used 20% of the overall power consumption (18 mins of CPU time, 1 hour overall activity) more than any other app or service. I haven't actively used Keep for days on any device, so what gives?

There also has been about 10mb of traffic from Keep that I can't account for.

Mine did the same thing yesterday. I'm hoping it was a one day Google screwup that caused it to sync constantly or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way to upload a playlist you made in iTunes to Google Music? I already have Gmusic set up on my computer to automatically upload any new music I put on my computer; but it's not grabbing the playlists.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I would like to know the same thing, but for Spotify to Google Music. Any chance?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This is not entirely app related, but it was the best place I could think to ask.
Is it true that the physical google wallet card can only use your current google wallet balance, and not any associated checking accounts or credit cards? I think it could be useful to keep it in my car in case my actual real wallet is lost/forgotten or stolen, but if it can empty out my bank account and max out all my credit cards than I definitely don't want it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

THF13 posted:

This is not entirely app related, but it was the best place I could think to ask.
Is it true that the physical google wallet card can only use your current google wallet balance, and not any associated checking accounts or credit cards? I think it could be useful to keep it in my car in case my actual real wallet is lost/forgotten or stolen, but if it can empty out my bank account and max out all my credit cards than I definitely don't want it.

It can only use what's in your Google Wallet balance. I ended up using it quite a bit for the kid's allowance.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It can only use what's in your Google Wallet balance. I ended up using it quite a bit for the kid's allowance.
Great thanks! As an added bonus it looks like you don't need to accept funds sent through gmail in google wallet before they're added to your balance, so in theory even if I don't have my phone I should be able to get a friend or family member to fund the card through gmail, and either use the funds directly from the card or withdraw them from an atm.

It is slightly disconcerting that google sent me the card with a total of 3 clicks and 0 information entered though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I have a very well organized set of (EDIT) folders for my mp3s on my desktop, but when I upload them to Google music it doesn't like some of my tagging choices and things look weird. Is there an mp3 player that will play directly from Drive instead so I can just upload things in their folder structure? Like a mobile foobar2000 would be perfect.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 21, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

So I have a very well organized set of fingers for my mp3s on my desktop,
I'd hate to see a disorganized set of fingers.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
What's the consensus on calculator alternatives? Are there any good ones out there? I would like a calculator including standard 'scientific' functions/operations (e.g. trig functions and so on) and also some computer science features (e.g. binary operations, base conversions, non-base10 algebra, et cetera). Also, an intuitive, expanded memory platform would be spectacular, it would be great to have more than one memory variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Woodsy Owl posted:

What's the consensus on calculator alternatives? Are there any good ones out there? I would like a calculator including standard 'scientific' functions/operations (e.g. trig functions and so on) and also some computer science features (e.g. binary operations, base conversions, non-base10 algebra, et cetera). Also, an intuitive, expanded memory platform would be spectacular, it would be great to have more than one memory variable.

If you've got a TI-89 calculator, you should grab Graph 89 and a copy of the ROM from TI's website. It completely recreates that line of calculators.

• Locked thread