Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We still have a bunch of open teams http://simcentral.net/forums/showthread.php/84511-SCMLB-Owners-as-of-11-7-2013

league page so you can have a look at the rosters and such http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Hmm could be fun to fill out the AL Central with the Tigers. Rangers could also be fun. What do I need to do to get started? Wait til season end? I just registered a SimCentral acct with username etcetera, waiting for approval.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I never, ever remember to post about it here, but both the Rising Star League and Britannica League over at simcentral have some openings if there are any interested OOTP players.

The Rising Star League is about to enter its 27th season of play. With Opening Day happening later today, it's probably a terrible time for someone new to take over a bad team, but we actually have some teams with halfway decent rosters (and a handful of star players) available too. A new active GM could easily steer one of these teams to the playoffs if they took over right now, or they could get that rebuild started by packaging their star player away for peanuts (do not do this).

The Britannica League is about to close its 3rd season of play so it's a good time to get in and get prepared for a wild free agent frenzy. The Britannica League is a promotion/relegation league, with three tiers of play - the worst record each season is relegated down, while the winner of a four-team playoff is promoted up. With an 84-game schedule and completely level financial playing field, it's designed with faster-paced competitive battles for league supremacy in mind. If you're interested, get in now because it's really the perfect time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Seriously, Buane does a great job of keeping up with his leagues. We never miss sims unless there are serious technical issues (which can also be said of the other SimCentral commissioners). The Brittanica League is a great way to get started since its still in its infancy and the limits on salary and roster space provide interesting challenges. The RSL is challenging but very active and very rewarding.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Seriously, Buane does a great job of keeping up with his leagues. We never miss sims unless there are serious technical issues (which can also be said of the other SimCentral commissioners). The Brittanica League is a great way to get started since its still in its infancy and the limits on salary and roster space provide interesting challenges. The RSL is challenging but very active and very rewarding.

Does the homepage of the RSL still cause people to go blind? Because when I was looking to join it before I ended up not because I couldn't stay on the site long enough to look at the teams.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

IcePhoenix posted:

Does the homepage of the RSL still cause people to go blind? Because when I was looking to join it before I ended up not because I couldn't stay on the site long enough to look at the teams.

It doesn't seem any worse than any other site with white on it to me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tavarin posted:

It doesn't seem any worse than any other site with white on it to me.

It just seems (to me at least) that every single color is bright and attacking my eyeballs, there's nothing to mute it at all.

e: people should still join if they're interested, I've heard good things otherwise

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

A web designer I ain't!

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Jumping into Britannica and it looks great so far.

Relatedly, OOTP is on Steam now and it's on sale for $15.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Ok so I saw this and decided to pick up OOTP14 off steam. I have started a new career and am about to coach some minor league team to start building my rep. How much control should I take in setting lineups and pitching staff or can I designate it to my bench coach. Should I give orders to my batters on how to hit and steal? Honestly this game is a little overwhelming when I try to micromanage everything.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

NiknudStunod posted:

Ok so I saw this and decided to pick up OOTP14 off steam. I have started a new career and am about to coach some minor league team to start building my rep. How much control should I take in setting lineups and pitching staff or can I designate it to my bench coach. Should I give orders to my batters on how to hit and steal? Honestly this game is a little overwhelming when I try to micromanage everything.

I usually let the computer set the lineups and such and just handle the GM type duties.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
so I get about 30 games into a season and the game crashes. This was quite a few hours of work since I was micro-managing. I figure no problem I will just load my last save. Low and behold my last save was from the first day on the job Jan 1st 2013. So now I am a bit upset but I did learn to set my game to save once a month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NiknudStunod posted:

so I get about 30 games into a season and the game crashes. This was quite a few hours of work since I was micro-managing. I figure no problem I will just load my last save. Low and behold my last save was from the first day on the job Jan 1st 2013. So now I am a bit upset but I did learn to set my game to save once a month.

If you do a lot of micro-managing you should probably set it to weekly.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Buane posted:

I never, ever remember to post about it here, but both the Rising Star League and Britannica League over at simcentral have some openings if there are any interested OOTP players.

The Rising Star League is about to enter its 27th season of play. With Opening Day happening later today, it's probably a terrible time for someone new to take over a bad team, but we actually have some teams with halfway decent rosters (and a handful of star players) available too. A new active GM could easily steer one of these teams to the playoffs if they took over right now, or they could get that rebuild started by packaging their star player away for peanuts (do not do this).

The Britannica League is about to close its 3rd season of play so it's a good time to get in and get prepared for a wild free agent frenzy. The Britannica League is a promotion/relegation league, with three tiers of play - the worst record each season is relegated down, while the winner of a four-team playoff is promoted up. With an 84-game schedule and completely level financial playing field, it's designed with faster-paced competitive battles for league supremacy in mind. If you're interested, get in now because it's really the perfect time.

Is it not too late to join the Brittanica League? I'm just waiting for my registration to be approved on the Simcentral forums, but I'm totally in as a newbie.

Edit: Seeing as only Nottingham is available, probably as them.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 23, 2013

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

Is it not too late to join the Brittanica League? I'm just waiting for my registration to be approved on the Simcentral forums, but I'm totally in as a newbie.

Edit: Seeing as only Nottingham is available, probably as them.

Not too late, but Nottingham is tentatively taken - I've added 5 new members in the last couple days. There will maybe/likely be one more opening still to come, though. Let me know the ID you registered with on the forums and I'll make sure you get activated and then follow up with you when I know for sure.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Buane posted:

Not too late, but Nottingham is tentatively taken - I've added 5 new members in the last couple days. There will maybe/likely be one more opening still to come, though. Let me know the ID you registered with on the forums and I'll make sure you get activated and then follow up with you when I know for sure.

My ID is the same as here - JosefStalinator. Still waiting on activation, and I'm definitely in should that spot open up. I'll watch the new GM thread for the time being (and post in it when I'm able).

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
e: wrong forum

CraigK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2013

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
I just downloaded OOTP and am interested in ruining my life over fake numbers. Any more openings?

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
I believe the RSL has openings!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scmlb also has plenty of openings (see my post at the top of this page)

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

scmlb also has plenty of openings (see my post at the top of this page)

Well if someone hands me the opportunity to shamelessly :fap: to the Yankees (and in a world where Montero panned out?) I will jump at the opportunity.

Unless that would be hanging myself for some reason. I see Prince is being paid 25mm to hang out in Scranton.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Just dropping in to say Britannica with Buane has been great so far. Going through the draft right now :D

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I've had OOTP 14 for a while now and I could definitely get in on this online multiplayer action

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Still openings in the RSL and in the BL for anybody interested. Still early enough in the BL offseason where you can get in and turn a team around with some signings, but you'll have to jump right in quickly. RSL is coming up on midseason, so if someone prefers to take a team there so they can learn the lay of the land for a while, that's an option.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

Well if someone hands me the opportunity to shamelessly :fap: to the Yankees (and in a world where Montero panned out?) I will jump at the opportunity.

Unless that would be hanging myself for some reason. I see Prince is being paid 25mm to hang out in Scranton.

It's the Yankees, even with that dead money you're still under budget! He's on the last year of his contract, too.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Is there a secret to not getting overwhelmed with minutiae in OOTP? Ive bought like three versions of them and then barely touched them because I get bogged down in all the different options and never play it again. IT SEEMS SO COOL I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

IMB posted:

Is there a secret to not getting overwhelmed with minutiae in OOTP? Ive bought like three versions of them and then barely touched them because I get bogged down in all the different options and never play it again. IT SEEMS SO COOL I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT

The secret is to figure out what you actually want to do, and then only do that. Don't worry about dealing with the minutiae if you don't want to.

For me, I play the gm and for coaching i only set batting order. I let the ai organize the minor leagues so I only worry about the majors, set lineups, sim game by game, and make adjustments to my roster and lineup as I see fit. I don't really bother setting player tendencies or team tendencies, I worry about the players I get.

But ya, I also sign players to contracts, coaches to contracts, make trades, do the draft and other stuff. I don't think it's too tough to do, but the first season is always the longest, since you have to pretty much jump right in. Once you've gotten past the first season, it all becomes a little bit easier since you'll have a better understanding of what you want to do and what you don't want to do.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I got OOTP 14 recently and decided to start a season in '88, the year I was born (yeah, I'm young). I picked the Royals to manage and at this point Bo Jackson is on pace to hit at least 100 homers this season. This is pretty awesome.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

IMB posted:

I felt like that when I first started too. My tip: start a season and worry only about a small thing like setting your batting lineup each week. Start simming and after a couple (in-game) weeks, see who is struggling in your starting lineup and swap him out with a bench player to get a feel for how substitutions work. Then try simming to the all star break and check your AAA team to see who is doing well, then call him up to the majors and send down a player who is struggling.

The point of this is to get a handle with how the game works. Don't fret if your teams stinks and/or you're doing horrible; it's just a learning experience and you can always start over. If you go along focusing on a small part of the game, you will naturally check out other menus and find out 'oh this is how you do this or that'. Before you know it you'll be checking how your 23rd round draft pick is doing on your short season rookie team (and actually know what you're doing).

It might be a steep learning curve, but the game contains some of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had. I started a Mets dynasty (I'm now in my 18th year or so) and my first round draft pick from 2015 just retired. To go along with an MVP, he won 10 Gold Gloves at first base and is probably headed for the the hall of fame. It's the epitome of :3:

Faltese Malkin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 12, 2014

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's the Yankees, even with that dead money you're still under budget! He's on the last year of his contract, too.

I think I'm down for this, but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the game without, as has been said, getting overwhelmed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IMB posted:

If you want to make it a little easier to deal with to start out, you can go into the options and turn off scouting and coaching (you can set this during league creation or, from the main OOTP menu after you create a game: Game Setup >> Global Setup). You may also want to turn injuries down as it feels like OOTP's idea of realistic injuries is having at least one player per season have a career ending injury.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

tadashi posted:

If you want to make it a little easier to deal with to start out, you can go into the options and turn off scouting and coaching (you can set this during league creation or, from the main OOTP menu after you create a game: Game Setup >> Global Setup). You may also want to turn injuries down as it feels like OOTP's idea of realistic injuries is having at least one player per season have a career ending injury.

No kidding. In my first stab at it I'm partway through May and Kuroda has been hurt three times, Rivera and Robertson are done for the year, and I don't even recognize the outfield anymore.

On the plus side I got some GREAT offers early in the season for Nunez.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Scouting, Coaching off + Injuries to low is my "I just wanna play" set up.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

No kidding. In my first stab at it I'm partway through May and Kuroda has been hurt three times, Rivera and Robertson are done for the year, and I don't even recognize the outfield anymore.

On the plus side I got some GREAT offers early in the season for Nunez.

Yeah, Felix Hernandez has blown out something in his shoulder five times in my file so far.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I don't know how to fix it and it's incredibly frustrating:

I'm playing a historical league in OOTP 13. I chose 1950, and the option to "use players from all eras." I'm fine for one year, but the next year when I draft there are only like 6 players available to draft. What gives, and what am I doing or not doing to cause this?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I don't know how to fix it and it's incredibly frustrating:

I'm playing a historical league in OOTP 13. I chose 1950, and the option to "use players from all eras." I'm fine for one year, but the next year when I draft there are only like 6 players available to draft. What gives, and what am I doing or not doing to cause this?

Do you have the box checked for using rookies in the year they premiered? There are a couple options about that, I think. There is also one to automatically assign rookies to their real team you might want to look for.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

I just finished my first ootp season. Besides the miserable finish, I enjoyed the HoF class:

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Mussina, and Alou.

Sweet.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
The most recent OOTP I own is 12 so I'm glad to see it still inducts Moises Alou into the Hall of Fame

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Just got OOTP 14 and have a quick question - is it possible to turn off the autosave? I've got the autosave set to only be once a year but the game definitely autosaves constantly. Sometimes I just like to screw around and make a pitcher win 30 games or something on Baseball Mogul, is that possible with OOTP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

Do you have the box checked for using rookies in the year they premiered? There are a couple options about that, I think. There is also one to automatically assign rookies to their real team you might want to look for.

Is there a way to get around that? I want it to be random players from all eras instead of historically accurate players. And I want them to be available every year for draft.

• Locked thread