Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

socialsecurity posted:

He had Cones of Dunshire and the accounting office and his dinner with Chris so he hasn't been sidelined as badly this season as last. But yeah characters are turning into cliches hard, I am really really tired of Tom alternating between "crappy business" and "girl that Tom thinks is to hot for him" plots.

Cliches? I think they're being their characters. They progress, they stagnate, they have goals. When have Tom's goals not been "Dood w/ an awesome girlfriend" and "Business Mogul?"

If they were turning into cliches, I would have Donna talking about her Benz every episode, and I would have Leslie hyper no matter what. We finally got to see what Leslie's bottom is in "Recall." I feel it's quite life like in the sense of two steps forward, one step back. Especially when talking about government and bureaucracies. Keep in mind that we'll have Chris and Ann leaving in a few episodes, things are going to be shaken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Cliches? I think they're being their characters. They progress, they stagnate, they have goals. When have Tom's goals not been "Dood w/ an awesome girlfriend" and "Business Mogul?"

If they were turning into cliches, I would have Donna talking about her Benz every episode, and I would have Leslie hyper no matter what. We finally got to see what Leslie's bottom is in "Recall." I feel it's quite life like in the sense of two steps forward, one step back. Especially when talking about government and bureaucracies. Keep in mind that we'll have Chris and Ann leaving in a few episodes, things are going to be shaken up.

This is exactly the reason why Jerry gets poo poo on every episode. He's living the dream (unlike every other character). While he's had very little development per se, layers have been revealed that he's probably the happiest character on the show :unsmith:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

darkerthantheday posted:

Was disappointed after the hiatus to watch another Leslie Campaign/Tom business venture story after *literally* just watching their previous efforts end.

Random episodes this season the characters turn into cartoons of themselves, like their wackiness is turned up to 11. Whichever character is onscreen is there just there to say/do something very Ron/Tom/April/Andy/etc. Felt the same way about the last couple seasons of The Office/30 Rock/Always Sunny. At least with P&R there's good chance the next ep will be great, so who knows.

Season 5 was kinda lame but 30 Rock seasons 6 and 7 were the best.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Funhilde posted:

I read this article the other day. I think I'll share it the next time someone asks why I don't really care for BBT.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/01/09/261058681/parks-and-recreation-good-for-nerds-good-for-america

Thank you for this. I have a hard time expressing why I don't like BBT but love P&R and this sums it up perfectly.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

hamsystem posted:

Thank you for this. I have a hard time expressing why I don't like BBT but love P&R and this sums it up perfectly.

Exactly how I felt reading it. Thanks Funhilde for the link!

I have the same issue with a number of comedies as I do with Big Bang Theory. I'd just never put together that it's always the same issue, just a different setting.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 14, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't much care for this episode but I like that they seem to realize they're on a timeline and they should get Knope the gently caress out of Pawnee.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chris Pratt at the awards

Nice to see him having a successful career beyond the show. He deserves it

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

leidend posted:

Chris Pratt at the awards

Nice to see him having a successful career beyond the show. He deserves it
The only thing I can think when I see him posing like that is...

Bert Macklin, FBI :c00l:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
FInally figured out that Jean-Ralphio's sister Mona-Lisa is Doug's wife on "House of Lies," so that's a 3-fer crossover right there.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Chris Knight posted:

FInally figured out that Jean-Ralphio's sister Mona-Lisa is Doug's wife on "House of Lies," so that's a 3-fer crossover right there.

She also did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9-sEbqDvU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Don't sweat it, LesKno!

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Someone needs to screen cap the dog poster.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is an elk hair!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You... Scamps!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just saved your bacon.

Impossible, you don't know where I hide it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just saved your bacon.

Impossible, you don't know where I hide it.

*looks up*

A great payoff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Who here likes laser shows?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Urethra Franklin.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do NOT tell Ron his is a good government employee.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Ben and Ann/Chris plots were pretty weak. Should have devoted more time to Leslie/Tom/Ron.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I only just noticed the sign change.

Pointblank`
Sep 20, 2003

hey its okay to eat our buildings
I love P&R as much as anyone, but does anyone else find themselves completely losing interest? I've barely paid attention to the last two episodes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zero One posted:

Do NOT tell Ron his is a good government employee.

That ending sequence as the credits rolled was hilarious.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Pointblank` posted:

I love P&R as much as anyone, but does anyone else find themselves completely losing interest? I've barely paid attention to the last two episodes.

Yeah, it's requiring effort these days. The whole thing feels as though it's going in circles, literally like Ann and Chris in the jewelry store.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Pointblank` posted:

Sadly, yes. The high point for me was the conclusion of Leslie's first election for city councillor.

The plots just don't seem to be going anywhere like they used to and we're back to business as usual. Andy, April, Leslie, Larry, and Tom are all back to being P&R employees again, despite all having stories to get them into something else. Heck, even Ben's back to almost the same deal he had before.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Sadly, yes. The high point for me was the conclusion of Leslie's first election for city councillor.

The plots just don't seem to be going anywhere like they used to and we're back to business as usual. Andy, April, Leslie, Larry, and Tom are all back to being P&R employees again, despite all having stories to get them into something else. Heck, even Ben's back to almost the same deal he had before.

The point of the last episode is to show that the characters have outgrown relying on Leslie to make the Parks and Recreation department a function government organization. That's the opposite of business as usual. April and Tom are reliable, independent employees with their own visions of what they could do with the job and how to accomplish something. They both make competent and persuasive presentations because they followed Leslie's example.

I think it was completely touching and a good episode to show how the field has changed since the election.

Also, of course the Chris and Ann scenes went around in circles. That's the joke of the B plot. That's why the salesman was getting angry. I actually thought it was very sweet too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man whatever. I was laughing pretty consistently throughout the whole thing. The only thing I thought was a little off was that I figured Ben and Andy were using that elaborate prank story into dumping water on them or something. The bloody Ben selfie was pretty great though. Even Ann and Chris' story, I loved them ruining the ring shop owner's day and their proposal in front of a choking Larry holy poo poo

And yeah that whole bit at the end with Ron and the award was hysterical

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I thought Ron actually going to check his bacon was going a bit too far. His quick upward glance was perfect by itself.

I could watch flustered Ben all day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

drainpipe posted:

I could watch flustered Ben all day.

Ben absolutely freaking out in the police station was perfection

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I still enjoy the show and find it funny, but I definitely see what people mean as far as a certain staleness. There are a lot of plot elements that seem to be repeated quite often.

It's sort of like the opening part where she insists on doing things by the book with her job interview with Ron, but then when it doesn't go her way, she immediately relents and expects the special treatment. A bit of foreshadowing for her return and discovery that nobody really needs her, which naturally she took the wrong way and tried to dominate everything again, also trying to sabotage Tom, which I think has also happened before.

That's classic Leslie of course, but it feels like nothing's really progressing anymore. When she was campaigning for City Council, there were a lot of "my boyfriend punched a guy and it was awesome so sorry if that makes you not vote for me" moments, but it was all leading to something. Same when he tried to get various legislation passed. Now it's like we're all waiting while they stall for that next big thing, be it Chris & Ann leaving or Leslie going for a higher gig.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That ending slayed me, that was perfect.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Macaluso posted:

Ben absolutely freaking out in the police station was perfection

follow...to me. *stops, bends over in panic*

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

OmegaBR posted:

also trying to sabotage Tom, which I think has also happened before.
To me it looked like she was deliberately doing a bad job so Tom's proposal would succeed. She even was smiling when Tom gave his prez.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I still feel like we're in the mid-season slump that Parks and Rec likes to do where we've finished one plot and we're about to kick into another. This episode wasn't fantastic, but there were a lot of parts I really liked (in particular, Ben's run-in with the law). I'll be disappointed if things don't pick up soon, but this mid-season slump is pretty typical for Parks and Rec, IMO.

Ben had some great character moments in a Leslie-less plot, though, and that was pretty nice.

"Let's talk about health insurance. Your dependents don't have it anymore. Want some illegal cheese?"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This is the first year I've been watching both Parks and Community and it's making Parks look reeeeeally bad comparatively.

That said, Ben at the police station was funny.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Sagacity posted:

To me it looked like she was deliberately doing a bad job so Tom's proposal would succeed. She even was smiling when Tom gave his prez.
Going behind Tom's back and getting the retired guy to keep going was her initial plan, after she had the talk with Ron she realized Tom deserved a chance so she self-sabotaged the meeting so Tom could do his thing.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
This episode almost felt like some other sitcom writer watched season 1, was given the cliffs notes on how the characters have changed since then, and wrote a script. There were a few genuinely great P&R moments, most of which have been pointed out, but it telegraphed so much, over-explained jokes, had some punchlines that fell completely flat, etc.

Wow, apparently this episode was the writer's first Parks ep, so I might not be too far off. Apparently he wrote for 30 Rock in its last two seasons, which I have fond memories of, so maybe he just didn't really "get" P&R, I don't know.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A big problem I had with this episode was, haven't we seen Leslie doing her P&R job during her time as town councilwoman? Since when was it supposed to be that she hadn't been in the parks department since getting elected? I don't know what exactly they've been aiming for with the whole Leslie job thing since it was brought up during the recall episodes but it's been really sloppily handled.

I also wasn't a big fan of Leslie reverting back to her really grating jerk personality for a lot of the episode. I did like the Ben prank and Ron's reaction to having his bacon saved but this is a disturbing trend for P&R to have two really weak episodes in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Chairman Capone posted:

A big problem I had with this episode was, haven't we seen Leslie doing her P&R job during her time as town councilwoman? Since when was it supposed to be that she hadn't been in the parks department since getting elected? I don't know what exactly they've been aiming for with the whole Leslie job thing since it was brought up during the recall episodes but it's been really sloppily handled.

I also wasn't a big fan of Leslie reverting back to her really grating jerk personality for a lot of the episode. I did like the Ben prank and Ron's reaction to having his bacon saved but this is a disturbing trend for P&R to have two really weak episodes in a row.

Yeah they specifically mention how she could do both and she had several episodes where she was doing park crap so I do not understand why she was applying for her own job or they acted like she hasn't seen them like every single day.

• Locked thread