Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Astrofig posted:

I wonder if grief could trigger woging the way fear/anger can? You think it's just any excess of emotion?

I don't know for sure, I guess only the writers do. But I could see someone being super angry that their brother/mother/sister/dad/cousin got murdered, so...

edit: relevant gif for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I don't think the therapist was racist against humans. I think it tied back in to how some wesen aren't okay with being wesen. She was trying to teach her brother to control and stop the woge, remember. If she was human racist, she wouldn't have been so friendly to begin with.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Some Numbers posted:

This is a great set-up, but with a few exceptions, there's no post-mortum evidence that people are wesen, so it's harder to do.

Unless it's not a murder, in which case the question is why is a homicide detective on the case?

There wasn't a murder when he a Juliette went to the cabin either. I was thinking there were a few more cases that didn't involve a homicide, but I can't recall any right now. I'm thinking another domestic dispute. Abused people are actually hyper sensitive to mannerisms because you have to be in order to avoid punishment for illogical reasons. And people raised in that situation tend to be pretty decent at not showing the fear they feel on their faces, because you can't tell anyone and/or no one really cares.

There's actually a cracked article that explains what I mean about the hypersensitivity far more clearly than I can.

Is the voge the full-out, every human can see you thing? I know there's a middle ground where only other wesen and grimms can see their true faces. Since that's what Nick sees, it would make sense that someone else might not notice the abused wesen's discomfort (voge).

Edit: It looks like the 2nd episode was actually just a missing person's case (Bears Will Be Bears). Same with La Llorona and Krampus.

Your avatar is hypnotic.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 13, 2014

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bored posted:

I know there's a middle ground where only other wesen and grimms can see their true faces.

There was a recent episode where Renard had to ask Nick what he saw - I'm not 100% sure on the other wesen being able to see what he sees when they just 'partially voge" or whatever.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Tonight's episode:

3x11 – "The Good Soldier"
Nick and Hank investigate the mysterious death of a Wesen soldier.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

There was a recent episode where Renard had to ask Nick what he saw - I'm not 100% sure on the other wesen being able to see what he sees when they just 'partially voge" or whatever.

I thought that was very interesting as well--I had always just assumed other wesen could always see other wesen--nope not the case.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alkanos posted:

This is exactly how I was hoping this whole Joe/Alicia thing was going to end. Joe shows up, sees Nick is a Grimm, then gets the gently caress out of there. After the way the last episode ended I was worried it would turn into an overlong arc, glad to see I was wrong. I think the writers may have learned from the whole Juliet's memory thing that drawing something out is a great way to get your fans annoyed.

I really want to see what the other Wessen see a Grimm looking like sometime. I've hoped from the beginning it's something absolutely and utterly horrifying, because they all recognize it immediately even if they've never seen one before, on sight.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It seems like there are three stages of voge:

1) Freak Out -- Where the wesen is startled or something. The Grimm can see this.

2) ID -- Where a wesen can express their true self voluntarily. Other wesen and Grimm can see this.

3) gently caress you I'm a MONSTER! -- Everybody can see this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm pretty sure that 2 and 3 are the same thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I got that vibe from when Monroe showed himself to HAnk it was a lot more energetic, unlike when he identifies himself as a wesen to other wesen.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm pretty sure Humbug Scoolbus is correct. There have been several times where Hank asks Nick if X is a Wesen, because a wesen can show it self to other wesens and grimms, without normal humans being able to see it.

Lord Noodle
Jun 10, 2003

I'm Gumby, Dammit!
According to: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/?p=19387

From Episode 2x06

Monroe compliments Hank on his house liquor. Hank then pops a relevant question: Does the Voge hurt? Monroe admits that it does, but that you get used to it. Hank then asks if he could see it if Monroe Voged right now. “Yes and no,” Monroe answers.

Turns out there are two versions of the Voge. The first is when you get emotional. The second is when you’re completely pissed off. “If I don’t want you to see me, you can’t,” Monroe says, in reference to the first version. “But if I do, believe me, you will.” Hanks points out that Nick – and, by extension, Grimms – can see the Voge regardless. “That’s what makes him different,” Monroe agrees. “That’s what makes him dangerous for us.”

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure that 2 and 3 are the same thing.

Occasionally 1, 2 and 3 are the same thing. There've been a couple of episodes where Wesen get so freaked out that they reveal themselves to normal humans. I'm thinking of the episode 3 from season 2 with the Coyotl daughter of Hank's friend and the point where Rosalee, Bud and Monroe Woged for Juliette. I recalled that Bud hadn't formally decided to Woge but got so wound up he did it anyway.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lord Noodle posted:

According to: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/?p=19387

From Episode 2x06

Monroe compliments Hank on his house liquor. Hank then pops a relevant question: Does the Voge hurt? Monroe admits that it does, but that you get used to it. Hank then asks if he could see it if Monroe Voged right now. “Yes and no,” Monroe answers.

Turns out there are two versions of the Voge. The first is when you get emotional. The second is when you’re completely pissed off. “If I don’t want you to see me, you can’t,” Monroe says, in reference to the first version. “But if I do, believe me, you will.” Hanks points out that Nick – and, by extension, Grimms – can see the Voge regardless. “That’s what makes him different,” Monroe agrees. “That’s what makes him dangerous for us.”

I knew they actually explained it somewhere on the show. I just couldn't remember when. I thought they had different terms for the kind of voges and was trying to remember that instead of remembering the obvious episode where Monroe shows Hank both.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that the "EVERYONE can see" is referred to as a "full" voge.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ws for V sounds. (Woge, Wesen)
Vs for F sounds (but F still exists). (Ziegevolk)
ßs for sharp S sounds. (Scheiße [or Scheisse])
ei for long I sounds. (Bauerschwein)
ie for long E sounds. (Hexenbiest)

Just for reference.

I couldn't find a creature that used an eszett (ß); the Hasslich uses two Ss, but from what I remember (and from double checking) you wouldn't use an eszett there.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

PureRok posted:

Ws for V sounds. (Woge, Wesen)
Vs for F sounds (but F still exists). (Ziegevolk)
ßs for sharp S sounds. (Scheiße [or Scheisse])
ei for long I sounds. (Bauerschwein)
ie for long E sounds. (Hexenbiest)

Just for reference.

I couldn't find a creature that used an eszett (ß); the Hasslich uses two Ss, but from what I remember (and from double checking) you wouldn't use an eszett there.

Sorry. I kind of flip between the two.

NERD!

I do the same thing with things I think are fun. Speaking of, I always liked this picture of a manticore:

Lookit dat doofy fucker.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 18, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Holy shitballs. Manticore fight with a Gran Torino ending. God, I love this show.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I actually watched the intro this episode--what happened to the map/key plot line? Seems to have just disappeared completely.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

johntfs posted:

Holy shitballs. Manticore fight with a Gran Torino ending. God, I love this show.

This week was pretty good.

..next week looks GREAT. Haha.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
....since when was Adalind telekinetic? Could that be the baby's doing?

And so excited for Monrosalee engagement!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Merlinicus posted:

I actually watched the intro this episode--what happened to the map/key plot line? Seems to have just disappeared completely.

Adalind is the B/C line for now.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Woefully weak episode. Nothing was advanced in the royal plotline, Grimm didn't get to fight a Manticore, and, well, why did I waste my time? There wasn't even a good/bad resolution like the manticore was the good and fighting a bad. They were both manticores, they fought it out, absent Nick, and the episode ended. Wow. Awesome. Thanks a lot, writers. By far the worst episode I have watched.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Woefully weak episode. Nothing was advanced in the royal plotline, Grimm didn't get to fight a Manticore, and, well, why did I waste my time? There wasn't even a good/bad resolution like the manticore was the good and fighting a bad. They were both manticores, they fought it out, absent Nick, and the episode ended. Wow. Awesome. Thanks a lot, writers. By far the worst episode I have watched.

Yeah, it felt like a current events story with famous movie ending. The episode was really weak regarding all things Grimm, they spent maybe a minute in the trailer and the rest of the show was Monroe meets the family and creepy things abound with Adaline.

It really seemed like they overloaded the plot threads in this episode. It went by so quickly without much happening.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

XboxPants posted:

How was the Russian in this episode? I'm always interested to learn how terrible/halfway decent Russian is in TV shows. Anyone sound half-way understandable?

This a really late reply, but the guy who played the koschei was really good, and Renard's Russian was surprisingly good as well. The maid sounded ok, although she's clearly not a native speaker. The wife's and the restaurant's owner Russian was really bad.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

This was an awesome episode. I really liked the overall story, the manticore fight and the subplot with Roselee and her family.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Mystery Opponent posted:

This a really late reply, but the guy who played the koschei was really good, and Renard's Russian was surprisingly good as well. The maid sounded ok, although she's clearly not a native speaker. The wife's and the restaurant's owner Russian was really bad.

I got a kick out of the koschei... I was like, "wait, that sounds exactly like the dude from the Metro games" and yep, Mark Ivanir was in the Metro games. Great voice, rather unmistakable.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Really enjoyed this episode. It was a good monster of the week episode. It was good seeing Andrea from Breaking Bad. It was a nice and sad twist at the end with her SO sacrificing himself so she could have some sort of justice. I wonder if all Hexenbiest pregnancies make you go haywire or if there is something special about Adaline's pregnancy? She's definitely showing now. I can't wait for more Wesley Wyndam Pryce to show up. I liked meeting Rosalee's family and hearing more of her backstory too. I'm surprised a bigger deal wasn't made about dating a Blutbad but I guess they had bigger family issues to deal with. I did laugh at the fact her sister was eating a big, rare steak while staring at Monroe.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Equester posted:

This was an awesome episode. I really liked the overall story

Are you in the service? Maybe it hit home, but I found the military contractor guy akin to Wes Andersons military contractors in Men Who Stare At Goats. Which is a dark comedy. I guess Grimm can be comedic at times, but you think Blackwater/Kellog Browning Root/Delta-Greek whatever they go by now would act like they did in this episode? It would be, like in other countries, a black-ops slaughter fest. Not some guy calling shots without tracing it back to him outside the wesen community. This episode made little sense, pandered to the military ("a good soldier") tried to knock military contractors (easy to do, they are scum) and they failed on all fronts.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

KilGrey posted:

I'm surprised a bigger deal wasn't made about dating a Blutbad but I guess they had bigger family issues to deal with.

If they ever make a big deal out of this, as I noticed a few episodes ago Wesen seem to love loving other wesen, but yea. MEET THE FUCHBAUS and they only casually noticed monoroe was a blutbad. I thought he was akin to a grimm to their species. Like, oh poo poo, he is about to eat us all. Again, like I pointed out, this episode made no loving sense. Yea, rosalee was a drug addict. SHE STILL SELLS "DRUGS" to the Wesen community. What is so loving shocking about that? They billed it as Fuschbau va Blutbaud ain the family encounter. Drug addict? Weak.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Are you in the service? Maybe it hit home, but I found the military contractor guy akin to Wes Andersons military contractors in Men Who Stare At Goats. Which is a dark comedy. I guess Grimm can be comedic at times, but you think Blackwater/Kellog Browning Root/Delta-Greek whatever they go by now would act like they did in this episode? It would be, like in other countries, a black-ops slaughter fest. Not some guy calling shots without tracing it back to him outside the wesen community. This episode made little sense, pandered to the military ("a good soldier") tried to knock military contractors (easy to do, they are scum) and they failed on all fronts.

No I'm not in the service. I just liked they took a fairly relevant problem of military contracters with little oversight and the treatment of women in the service. That the woman was also a wesen known litterally for being the good soldier came as little surprise as Grimm is hardly a deep show. And you guess Grimm can be comedic at times? Did you see the Christmass episode about the wesen who turned into a children eating santa claus. For me, the often dark humor in Grimm is one of it strong points, but not something I saw in this episode.
Maybe it's because I'm not american, but I saw little pandering to the military. One of the rapist was a normal serviceman and the three others was contractors. And the episode highlightet some actual problems in the US military. Nobody except the old commander cared about a woman getting raped, they would rather turn a blind eye to it. Hardly something that glorify the military.
The subplot with Roselee, I at least found as a nice contrast to the mainplot and it was nice to see more of her family. It was nice to see both Monroe and Roselee living their own life, rather than always tie them into the main plot.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I thought it was an ok episode. Definitely not their best.

Is it bad if throughout the episode, I was looking forward to Rosalee & Monroe's scenes above all else? LOL

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Can of Cloud posted:

I thought it was an ok episode. Definitely not their best.

Is it bad if throughout the episode, I was looking forward to Rosalee & Monroe's scenes above all else? LOL

Nope I felt the same way and I can't wait for next week.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

JD Bucks 7 posted:

If they ever make a big deal out of this, as I noticed a few episodes ago Wesen seem to love loving other wesen, but yea. MEET THE FUCHBAUS and they only casually noticed monoroe was a blutbad. I thought he was akin to a grimm to their species. Like, oh poo poo, he is about to eat us all. Again, like I pointed out, this episode made no loving sense. Yea, rosalee was a drug addict. SHE STILL SELLS "DRUGS" to the Wesen community. What is so loving shocking about that? They billed it as Fuschbau va Blutbaud ain the family encounter. Drug addict? Weak.

It really wasn't that bad. I don't get why you don't think things didn't make sense. Minus the fact they are fairytale creatures it actually mirrored actual family problems pretty well. Instead of a comedic 'big bad wolf' plot they went more serious. While I would have liked to have seen the comedic part (maybe we'll get this when we meet Monroe's family) I liked them fleshing out Rosalee's character more and seeing them strengthen her and Monroe's relationship. It wasn't the best episode of Grimm ever but I wouldn't call it weak.

Can of Cloud posted:

No, because Monroe and Rosalee are awesome! They are one of my favorite TV couples. Like Equester said, it was nice seeing them live their life away from Nick.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They had made food for Monroe without meat, so they knew he was coming and what he was. And just like humans can be racists, so can Wesen, there is no reason to think that all Fuchbau hate Blutbad.

This episode was merely ok, but i loved they bit where they were flipping through the books and finding Wesen that could sting with poison, i hope we see that platypus Wesen on the show sometime.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

KilGrey posted:

I wonder if all Hexenbiest pregnancies make you go haywire or if there is something special about Adaline's pregnancy?

It'd be pretty cool if like 1 in 50 Royals have psychic powers or something. Would explain how a bunch of a plucky humans would get over on Wesen.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Accretionist posted:

It'd be pretty cool if like 1 in 50 Royals have psychic powers or something. Would explain how a bunch of a plucky humans would get over on Wesen.

Is it ever said anywhere that Royals are human and not Wesen?

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Oh poo poo, you are about to be told, son. "Same way the royals keep control of normal humans." (That is what this thread told me.) As if "normal humans" are not woged expert hunters, extra-human strength and so on. They are "royals" how dare you use logic and question them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hangedman1984 posted:

Renard's half hexenbeast by way of his mother, so his royal father would've been human. And I can't remember why, but I think the rest are supposed to be as well.

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Oh poo poo, you are about to be told, son. "Same way the royals keep control of normal humans." (That is what this thread told me.) As if "normal humans" are not woged expert hunters, extra-human strength and so on. They are "royals" how dare you use logic and question them.

Yeah, I mean, all the normal methods of control fail when your goons are as easily torn apart as a loaves of bread and are just as edible.

The next most likely explanation is that Grimms just never let the population get out of hand and would go in like the Pinkertons to smash up any organized wesen.*

* No war but class war

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Oasx posted:

They had made food for Monroe without meat, so they knew he was coming and what he was. And just like humans can be racists, so can Wesen, there is no reason to think that all Fuchbau hate Blutbad.

It's more than just being racist though, Blutbad usually make meals out of Fuchbau. They have reason to be very wary.

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, they've said they are all human. That's part of the reason Reynard is so disliked, side from being a bastard he's half wessen.

• Locked thread