Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
To me that is literally like throwing $5000 into the internet and hoping against odds that something positive happens. You must have balls of steel to trust and deal with someone over seas like that. There is almost zero protection for you if they tell you they are just keeping your money and sending you nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That seems like it would be worthwhile to do an escrow account.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Wounded Unicorn posted:

If I (in the United States) am just buying an imported car for parts through a channel such as that, and am not trying to register and drive it, is there anything legally stopping me from doing so?

No, you can easily import a car for parts, but it better not be in one piece. My father-in-law helped run a shop that did this. They bought cars and either had the engines removed or just had the front clip sliced of and shipped over from Japan.

ironblock posted:

In the US, sure. The market for older cars is different in Japan.

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/honda/s2000/14223457/

I bought my RX-7 for $3500, and shipping/insurance to the Caribbean was about $1600. I have no idea what import duties are like in the US, but if you live near a port city, I imagine you could get a seriously nice car for cheap.

Ya, you can get that car federalized in the US. It would probably cost about $10K to $20k. US bumpers, US emissions, US speedometer, US HVAC, etc etc.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4276730282.html

How is it possible to even own a digital device capable of producing an image this poor?
Did they root around in their junk door for a digital camera from 1995?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Tai-Pan posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4276730282.html

How is it possible to even own a digital device capable of producing an image this poor?

Cropped and enlarged from a phone photo, I'm guessing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Cropped and enlarged from a phone photo, I'm guessing.

you mean they took a picture of the phone screen right?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

At this point creating a replica of your car in Minecraft is better than most Craigslist pictures. At least it appears to be daytime and it looks somewhat like the right car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rscott posted:

you mean they took a picture of the phone screen right?

and emailed it to themselves as a pdf inserted into a word document as an OLE object.

:suicide:

I wish I was joking.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Old people own corvettes, old people are confused by technology. This is all you need to know about blurry corvette.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's probably a business idea out there for "dude who posts your car to Craigslist and weeds out the scammers/retards" but I wouldn't want to do it myself. Maybe I could contract local photographers and outsource the rest to Mechanical Turk.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tai-Pan posted:

From the A Ticket came in... thread in SH/SC the Goldmine:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whelp it's a good thing i'm not allowed to bring my gun to work.

Someone just sent me "a picture".

It was a word document that contained a scan of the back (lcd) of a digital camera while it displayed the pictures that were taken.

I may have to extract for humors sake.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Backpedaling...
it's not a scan but just a picture of the back of a camera displaying the picture that we need within a word doc that had been zipped up using winrar and saved as a .txt file somehow instead of a .doc

:psyboom:
I extracted images from .txt file for you all to enjoy

SH/SC then ran with this to see how absurd it could get:

Screenshot of the image in Mario Paint pasted into Excel, recorded with a video camera, opened in Real Player for Mac, and then screen captured.

It later got faxed and scanned a few times, had the link embedded in a QR code which was posted to Google+, commented on, and printed out.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Galler posted:

From the A Ticket came in... thread in SH/SC the Goldmine:

SH/SC then ran with this to see how absurd it could get:

Screenshot of the image in Mario Paint pasted into Excel, recorded with a video camera, opened in Real Player for Mac, and then screen captured.

It later got faxed and scanned a few times, had the link embedded in a QR code which was posted to Google+, commented on, and printed out.

Looks like a screenshot from GTA:San Andreas for PS2.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tai-Pan posted:

No, you can easily import a car for parts, but it better not be in one piece. My father-in-law helped run a shop that did this. They bought cars and either had the engines removed or just had the front clip sliced of and shipped over from Japan.

As far as I've read, this is the easiest way to get a street-legal "Skyline" in the US, import two halves of one and swap the functional bits over to an aftermarket shell (I think there's a company in South Africa that produces them) that you can then register as a "kit car". Fully legal since the actual car body never had a Nissan VIN.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

As far as I've read, this is the easiest way to get a street-legal "Skyline" in the US, import two halves of one and swap the functional bits over to an aftermarket shell (I think there's a company in South Africa that produces them) that you can then register as a "kit car". Fully legal since the actual car body never had a Nissan VIN.

It's not. Everyone involved in that particular scam is in jail.

http://jalopnik.com/5371967/feds-seize-illegal-nissan-skyline-gt+rs-in-cali

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Reading that, it sounds like they were importing original Nissan bodies from Japan, which was the issue since that makes them actual factory-built cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

Reading that, it sounds like they were importing original Nissan bodies from Japan, which was the issue since that makes them actual factory-built cars.

You must be misremembering the last thread we had about this where the example of Noble/Rossion or whatever they are called was brought up, who are actually making body-in-whites in South Africa.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Even if that actually works, it's way too much trouble to go through for a Skyline, they're good cars but they aren't worth jumping through hoops.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, take it from me. Americans are sure to be in for a big disappointment when they finally get their R32s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, take it from me. Americans are sure to be in for a big disappointment when they finally get their R32s.

I feel like the Skyline is pretty dated by comparison any more. Yeah it takes well to tuning, but theres several cars I can think of off the top of my head that will blow the doors off of it, and be cheaper.

Plus its a 25 year old car, any that are imported are going to be pretty beat up by now.

Isn't the G35/G37 the Skyline equivalent anyways?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It has become a cult thing and no amount of logic or reason will keep nutbars from importing beat to poo poo skylines for way too much money and thinking they are cool as hell until their car gets confiscated and crushed by the feds.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ho Ho Ho!

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4293665553.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

It has become a cult thing and no amount of logic or reason will keep nutbars from importing beat to poo poo skylines for way too much money and thinking they are cool as hell until their car gets confiscated and crushed by the feds.

Or when the frontal lobes in their brains fully develop and they realize they can get a car for half the price that can do everything better than an old Skyline. A new Fiesta ST can probably out perform one, and you'd have a warranty!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It's this generation's vintage muscle car. There's that certain kind of magic to it, that you don't get from a Fiesta. I can understand wanting to try to have and work with an old R32 based on that alone.

Not worth playing the gray market "totally a kit car" game with it though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was in Great Falls, MT last year and some poor guy from Alberta had his R32 parked at a local mall. Every <20 year old in town with his pants down around their ankles was hanging around the car taking photos and putting their faces up to the windows like it was a Veyron or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

razorscooter posted:

It's this generation's vintage muscle car. There's that certain kind of magic to it, that you don't get from a Fiesta. I can understand wanting to try to have and work with an old R32 based on that alone.

That's fine, but how about picking a "vintage muscle car" that isn't illegal to keep in the U.S.? Never mind the fact you'd be driving a right hand drive car in the right loving lane, that reason alone makes it a dumb idea imo.

Like I said, way too many hoops to jump through and way too much money to spend only to have it crushed by the feds. It's a dumb idea, and people that try to get away with it have it coming to them. Just buy a loving WRX or something.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
for the price of an R32.... you can get:
BMW M5 or M3
WRX STI
Camaro Z28 (new one)
Lightly used C5 Yvette

I'm sure there's others I'm missing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This is the most rotten 240 I've ever seen in my life :gonk: Would be a good parts car for my 244 (which also cost $450) if I had the cash.

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/4281803705.html

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kastein posted:

Not true! This was posted on my Facebook feed a couple of weeks ago. This dude has some local ties to my friends here in Utah, he lives back east now. http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-man-who-legally-brought-the-first-r32-nissan-g-1493404343

E: not true about them getting confiscated/crushed. Yes they will be imported by people like me who did stage 3 weight reductions on gran tourismo 2 on every single skyline model and gush over its perfection. I won't import one, but I always have loved them.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thing still looks pretty ratted out. Especially for 15-20k I'd much rather piss that away on a clean C5 vette.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think one of the factors is people here like them so much because they can't have them, it's the forbidden fruit of sports cars and it makes people jizz their pants to see one in person.

When I was in the military and lived in Japan, we lusted after Fox Body Mustangs :v:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I'm just amazed that someone on Craigslist spelled Hyundai correctly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You know, for all the people talking about what you could buy for R32 money AI sure is filled with people modding Volvos, VWs, Focuses, etc.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BlackMK4 posted:

You know, for all the people talking about what you could buy for R32 money AI sure is filled with people modding Volvos

don't you dare

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

atomicthumbs posted:

don't you dare

Just playing devil's advocate.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

In case you were thinking it might be a '76, you thought wrong.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4292268880.html

quote:

1978 PONTIAC TRANS AM Body fair condition. Newly rebuilt 400 engine - not in car. Brand new in the box Holley double pumper carburetor. Brand new still in the box aluminum intake. Car does not have motor in it. Does not run. GREAT project car. Leather interior in pretty good shape. $2500.00

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

If that leather is pretty good then Burt Reynolds is young and spry.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

JaysonAych posted:

In case you were thinking it might be a '76, you thought wrong.

The body is fair compared to a lot of not '78 '76 trans ams I've seen.

I've seen more than one vehicle with this color scheme today, the other being a dodge ram. I asked the owner of the dodge ram if he happened to own a del sol too and he said no.

gently caress this is ugly. The brakes just top it off.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4289570598.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My favorite part is the rust on the rear quarter panel is so bad that it's killed the chunk of metal the bumper cover clips into.

My rallycross Impreza used to do that on one side. It was embarrassing enough there. They painted the inside of the door jambs (difficult) but didn't bother with the trunk lid or interior (easy)? I can understand the engine bay...

Dominic Tourettes-o posted:

200k but it's a HONDA!!!

I've seen more tasteful cars crushed 100% intact at the pick-n-pull.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
*high miles* BUT IT'S A *car make* is my new favorite Craigslist phrase.

The fact that it is has the original timing belt, suspension components and hasn't seen an oil change in 120,000 miles is negated by the fact it was made by Toyota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Isn't the G35/G37 the Skyline equivalent anyways?

Not just the equivalent - its the exact same car (with some spec differences like smaller DI engines in some models, CVT transmissions in others)

My one:

That said those more modern Skylines are quite different from the earlier ones - actually here I'd say a decent R34 (the last 'proper' Skyline I guess) with the 2.5 would be worth more than my V35 despite my car being objectively better in pretty much every regard.

BTW it was only ever the GT-R (and perhaps the upper spec RWD turbo to a much lesser exrent) that were desirable cars - the base model R32 came with a 90hp 1.8 remember.