Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Qwo posted:

Hypothetical uncolonized Africa.

Just out of curiosity, where's this from? Is it the setting to some story, or is it just a piece of speculative cartography?

Either way, I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Rincewind posted:

Just out of curiosity, where's this from? Is it the setting to some story, or is it just a piece of speculative cartography?

Either way, I really like it.
You probably searched for it already, but here's what the Washington Post has to say on the image:

quote:

Made by the Swedish artist Nikolaj Cyon, the map asks what Africa would look like today if colonialism had never happened. Cyon drew these boundaries based on a study of political and tribal units in 1844, the eve of Europe's "scramble for Africa." He oriented it with south at the top to subvert the traditional Europe-on-top orientation.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/13/40-more-maps-that-explain-the-world/ (#23)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

That speculative Africa map is very interesting, although things would have to get pretty weird from a divergence point of 1844 if Spain got swallowed up again by a North African empire and for literally all pre-1844 European outposts and colonies to disappear completely (I'm mainly taking of Cape settlers here, who've been around for a long-rear end time).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't really get it anyway. Why would Spain or Sicily be African? And why would Egypt be independent of the Ottoman Empire if the French did not drive them out of it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Torrannor posted:

I don't really get it anyway. Why would Spain or Sicily be African? And why would Egypt be independent of the Ottoman Empire if the French did not drive them out of it?
I guess in this alt-history, the Reconquista and the Norman conquest of Sicily didn't happen. And I guess the Turks are classed with the European empires as far as foreign empires not holding a part of Africa.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lycus posted:

I guess in this alt-history, the Reconquista and the Norman conquest of Sicily didn't happen. And I guess the Turks are classed with the European empires as far as foreign empires not holding a part of Africa.

But... but Turks are ASIANS? Caucasian Asians to be sure, but it doesn't make sense. The Muslim Caliphates ruled big parts of Africa long before the Age of Colonialism. And even Carthage was a country of semitic (thus Asian) Phoenicians. Which brings me to Spain: So neither the Phoenician Nova Carthago, nor the Roman conquest of Hispania, not the Norman conquest of Hispania happens, but the Umayyads conquer it while the Reconquista doesn't happen. What does that have to do with colonialism? Similar deal with Sicily, where Rome, Carthage and Greek Syracuse coexisted until the Romans conquered it all. When has any African power held the Island before the Muslims?

Even if the point is to show Africa without any form of colonialism, that would obviously invalidate the Muslim conquest, yet the whole of Northern Africa is ruled by various sultanates, and somehow the Muslim conquests of Spain and Sicily still happened.

It is still a very neat map, but these inconsistencies are a bit strange. And I really wish he would not have drawn it upside down, it is more difficult to overlay it with the current Africa map to see how hosed so many countries are. The European colonial powers sometimes seem to have worked really hard to form states that surely must explode because of ethnic tensions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

But... but Turks are ASIANS? Caucasian Asians to be sure, but it doesn't make sense. The Muslim Caliphates ruled big parts of Africa long before the Age of Colonialism. And even Carthage was a country of semitic (thus Asian) Phoenicians. Which brings me to Spain: So neither the Phoenician Nova Carthago, nor the Roman conquest of Hispania, not the Norman conquest of Hispania happens, but the Umayyads conquer it while the Reconquista doesn't happen. What does that have to do with colonialism? Similar deal with Sicily, where Rome, Carthage and Greek Syracuse coexisted until the Romans conquered it all. When has any African power held the Island before the Muslims?

Even if the point is to show Africa without any form of colonialism, that would obviously invalidate the Muslim conquest, yet the whole of Northern Africa is ruled by various sultanates, and somehow the Muslim conquests of Spain and Sicily still happened.

It is still a very neat map, but these inconsistencies are a bit strange. And I really wish he would not have drawn it upside down, it is more difficult to overlay it with the current Africa map to see how hosed so many countries are. The European colonial powers sometimes seem to have worked really hard to form states that surely must explode because of ethnic tensions.

It's a work of art, not a scholarly piece of Alternative History.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Torrannor posted:

:goonsay:

Who loves maps and thinks southern orientation is "upside down"?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cheerfullydrab posted:

:goonsay:

Who loves maps and thinks southern orientation is "upside down"?

I don't know exactly what you are saying, and maybe I did not express myself correctly (English not being my first language). I meant that it would have been easier to compare that map to most others if he had used the much more common "north is up" orientation.

I do love maps, and in my bedroom I have a huge "Upside down World Map" that I bought in Australia, with Australia at the center. Although it does make sense for north to be up.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Torrannor posted:

I do love maps, and in my bedroom I have a huge "Upside down World Map" that I bought in Australia, with Australia at the center. Although it does make sense for north to be up.

That's the thing--it doesn't make any more sense for north to be up than for south to be up. They are orientations parallel to the surface of a sphere and both at right angles to the actual direction "up."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Torrannor posted:

I don't know exactly what you are saying, and maybe I did not express myself correctly (English not being my first language). I meant that it would have been easier to compare that map to most others if he had used the much more common "north is up" orientation.
Can't you just flip it around yourself in any image viewing program? The writing will be upside-down when you're comparing, but that shouldn't be a huge problem if you really want to do that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

You can even have east on top!

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 17, 2014

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
I think Islamic maps traditionally had South as up, with Mecca at the center. Since this map of uncolonized Africa would probably have a large Islamic presence, it makes sense that this map would have South as "up".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cantorsdust posted:

That's the thing--it doesn't make any more sense for north to be up than for south to be up. They are orientations parallel to the surface of a sphere and both at right angles to the actual direction "up."
Maybe it doesn't make sense in terms of the reality it's depicting, but it does make sense in a world where the majority of writing systems start at the top. Sure, maps aren't writing, but matching the way information is distributed with the way people are usually presented with it is pretty sensible. And the northern hemisphere has far more human relevant information than the southern.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cantorsdust posted:

It does make sense for north to be up. Because most land mass is in the northern hemisphere. And the human inhabited continents go further north than they go south. The southernmost tip of South America is about 56. The northernmost tip of mainland Russia is about 77° northern latitude. Even if you exclude inhabited islands (which would tilt it even more in favor of the northern hemisphere), the land extends farther north than south.

On a typical 2D map it doesn't make that much of a difference, but on a globe it is strictly logical to have north up. Since non-Antarctic land on the southern hemisphere does not extend too far south it is generally not a problem that it lies on the underside, since you can still see the land without turning the globe upside down or contorting your body to look under the globe. And if you have standardized maps, why should the 2D maps be oriented differently than the 3D globes?

It is a bit similar to the prime meridian. It is rather arbitrary to orient maps north, or to have the prime meridian run through London, but both were good choices in hindsight (and really inevitable in the case of the prime meridian).

Lycus posted:

Can't you just flip it around yourself in any image viewing program? The writing will be upside-down when you're comparing, but that shouldn't be a huge problem if you really want to do that.

I did just that, but I really wanted the writing with it to look up the various people.

Abilifier posted:

I think Islamic maps traditionally had South as up, with Mecca at the center. Since this map of uncolonized Africa would probably have a large Islamic presence, it makes sense that this map would have South as "up".

So it was a map how Africa might have looked without European colonialism, but with Arabian/Muslim colonialism? Ok, understood. What kind of religion were the Berber of North Africa following anyway, before the Muslim conquests? I know the Ethiopians were Miaphysite Christians, was Christianity the main religion in the rest of North Africa as well?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 17, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

So it was a map how Africa might have looked without European colonialism, but with Arabian/Muslim colonialism? Ok, understood. What kind of religion were the Berber of North Africa following anyway, before the Muslim conquests? I know the Ethiopians were Miaphysite Christians, was Christianity the main religion in the rest of North Africa as well?
Mostly Christian I think, either from the Donatist (a splinter of Catholicism regarded as heretical by Rome) or Coptic Orthodox families, with a some Berber Jews in the Morocco region, and the remainder being traditional non-Abrahamic North African faiths.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
North is up because compasses point that way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What is logical about the prime meridian running through Greenwich? That its opposite side goes basically clear through the Pacific? Actually reading on wiki I bet this is your reasoning, because it is along the International Date Line that you add or subtract an entire day, to keep in time with the rest of the world. Having this line run through inhabited territory (aside from small islands) would be cumbersome. Is that right?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Compasses align North-South, not Up-Down. So that's no reason to put it at the top of the map.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Mine points south. :confused:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Abilifier posted:

Not to make this thread too projection-centric, but the qibla (direction to Mecca) is an interesting problem for finding a cartographic solution.

You can either just have lines of bearing, and pick the one nearest your location:

(A good use of Mercator, since you can measure the local bearing.)

Or the same map, but with the regions where each bearing works:

Or you can get into cartography! There's the azimuthal projection with Mecca at the center, which shows the true bearing of all points on Earth from Mecca:

But that only helps if you're at Mecca and want to point somewhere else. If you're at any other point, and want to know the angle to Mecca, you need a retroazimuthal projection:

If you connect any point to Mecca, and measure the angle from the meridian, it will be the angle you'd need to face from that point. That portion of the projection only includes Eurasia and Africa, but it's cropped; you can keep extending the projection until it forms four very distorted arms stretching to infinity, if you want to include all points on earth (except the antipode).

Or nowadays you can just find an app.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

What is logical about the prime meridian running through Greenwich? That its opposite side goes basically clear through the Pacific? Actually reading on wiki I bet this is your reasoning, because it is along the International Date Line that you add or subtract an entire day, to keep in time with the rest of the world. Having this line run through inhabited territory (aside from small islands) would be cumbersome. Is that right?

It is not logical to have it run through Greenwich, but it was not a bad choice. If the prime meridian is roughly at the center of the world map and it's opposite marks the edges of the map (as it is with the standard eurocentric world maps), then you can only have the prime meridian run through a narrow band in either Europe/Africa or through Australia/Japan, so that the map edge cuts through the Pacific or Atlantic instead of a big populated continent. So having India or America at the center of a world map would be a map-making failure.

Both methods of assigning the prime meridian are of equal value, but the sea faring and conquering civilizations that first standardized maps around the world where the Europeans, so they would of course use the map with the prime meridian in Europe, instead of the maps with center on the much less explored other side of the world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

The prime meridian is completely arbitrary, but by happenstance it's not in a poor location at the moment.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Is there any consensus on what the Qiblah should be, say, in low-earth orbit? It seems like something people would've at least discussed in the past half-century or so.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, such as the horrible horrible location of the original prime meridian through Paris.

Wait, why did we change that, again?

E. ^^^^^ I think there is. I read somewhere that they added a religious law saying that while in orbit, pick whatever direction you feel comfortable with. I mean, the ISS orbits at 28000 km/h, you'd be spinning around like crazy trying to keep up with the position of Mecca.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 17, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

made of bees posted:

Is there any consensus on what the Qiblah should be, say, in low-earth orbit? It seems like something people would've at least discussed in the past half-century or so.

quote:

From space[edit]
In April 2006, Malaysian National Space Agency (Angkasa) sponsored a conference[15] of scientists and religious scholars to address the issue of how the Qiblah should be determined when one is in orbit. The conference concluded that the astronaut should determine the location of the Qiblah "according to [their] capability".[16] There have already been several Muslim astronauts, among them the very first being Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1985), the latest being the first Muslim woman in space Anousheh Ansari (2006) and the Malaysian angkasawan Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor (2007).
Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has stated that one should face the direction of the Earth.[citation needed]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, such as the horrible horrible location of the original prime meridian through Paris.

The British were a lot more important for sea trade and they were powerful when the standards were set down.

I actually have a map which has the prime meridian going through DC, although it's early 1800s.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought there was debate on weather you had to pray the most direct... direction to Mecca, so through the Earth if you are in Australia for example, or the most direct surface direction. With these apps and the cool projections, I guess it is settled in favor of the surface direction?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

In recent years, Muslims from North America have used two rules to determine the direction of the Qiblah. According to spherical calculations, a Muslim praying from Anchorage, Alaska would pray almost due north if determining the Qiblah. However, when one looks at the world on most Mercator map projections, Mecca appears to be southeast of Anchorage. The shortest rhumb line (line of constant bearing) from most points in North America to Mecca will point toward the southeast, but the distance to Mecca along this route on the actual surface of the earth is longer than the great circle route.

There are Muslim communities in North America who face toward the northeast, following the great circle route, and there are Muslim communities in North America who face toward the southeast according to traditional early Islamic methods including sighting the stars, sun, wind, etc.[14]

Most Qiblah-calculating programs (see list below) use the great circle method and place the Qiblah northeast from most points in North America.

Oh by the way, the inside of the Kaaba (the small building in the middle of the Mecca mosque towards which muslims pray) is cleaned once every few years. I read that if a muslim needs to pray while inside the Kaaba, there is no preferred direction, either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

The prime meridian through Paris was just a prime meridian, not the original. Which makes sense, what with Paris not being a major city when Ptolemy defined the first one. Since then there have been several prime meridians, usually located around the Canaries like Ptolemy's own.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh by the way, the inside of the Kaaba (the small building in the middle of the Mecca mosque towards which muslims pray) is cleaned once every few years. I read that if a muslim needs to pray while inside the Kaaba, there is no preferred direction, either.

So just outside the cube can you pray towards any part of it or do you supposed to aim for the cube center of mass?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Every year during the pilgrimage, they walk around it a certain number of times, touching the walls if they can.

Let's be clear, I'm not a muslim so I can only tell you what I heard.

It seems that muslims scholars have 'decided' that a) the Kaaba is just a focal point for their prayers. It's not something they pray 'to', because they only pray to their God. And b) as one of them said while discussing the orbit thing "praying is not supposed to be a gymnastics exercise and God does not expect us to do the impossible".

So basically, they have to pray facing the building when they can, but other than that the details do not matter all that much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

It seems that muslims scholars have 'decided' that a) the Kaaba is just a focal point for their prayers. It's not something they pray 'to', because they only pray to their God. And b) as one of them said while discussing the orbit thing "praying is not supposed to be a gymnastics exercise and God does not expect us to do the impossible".
They could always use the Mullah Nasruddin method.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cantorsdust posted:

No, North absolutely should be the 'up' direction, because then the Earth's rotation will be positive according to the right hand rule. :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

^^^^^ I forgot what that rule exactly was, but I think it had to do with magnetism. So, did you take the fact that the geographic North pole is at the magnetic South pole of the Earth in consideration? (That's why the North of any magnet is attracted by Earth's geographic North. It's magnetic South.)

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Carbon dioxide posted:

^^^^^ I forgot what that rule exactly was, but I think it had to do with magnetism. So, did you take the fact that the geographic North pole is at the magnetic South pole of the Earth in consideration? (That's why the North of any magnet is attracted by Earth's geographic North. It's magnetic South.)

The rule shows up in lots of physical concepts, including angular momentum and torque.
North or south on the top make sense for globes as well, a east/west aligned globe would be somewhat more susceptible to uneven wearing.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The compass points North/South because of movement of molten iron in the mantle not because of the earth's rotation. I mean, the compass is rotating at the same rate as the earth after all. Moreover the Earth's magnetic field has reversed several times in the Earth's history. The direction of rotation of the Earth has not. Moreover, the right-hand-positive rotation is just as arbitrary as north-up.

On the other hand, if you happen to be in the Northern Hemisphere it's easy to notice that all the North-South lines converge at a point and the one special star that doesn't move in the night sky happens to be in that direction too. One can see how they might have though of that way (towards the star) as "up".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The right-hand rule is just an arbitrary way to define a positive direction for an axis of rotation. All of the math works the same way if you use the left-hand rule instead.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

The right-hand rule is just an arbitrary way to define a positive direction for an axis of rotation. All of the math works the same way if you use the left-hand rule instead.

What a hosed up and perverse that would be indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

withak posted:

That's true, and when we all switch to left handed systems, we can put South on top.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Like Bensa and KernelSlanders said, my use of the right hand rule here has nothing to do with magnetics. It's simply which direction the Earth happens to turn in. The right hand rule certainly does show up with electro-magnetic fields, but not what we're talking about here.

Also, while we're on North-up talk, does anyone know off hand when we actually started doing that? Roman maps were always East up, I'm curious as to why we changed. I suppose I can think of a few reasons, relating to how having the north pole (where you can't sail) at the top of the map would be good since the projection distortion won't matter, but I'm not sure if that's when it started, or what order these things happened in.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 18, 2014