Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

jonathan posted:

So in short, How do I make XBMC have no volume/do no gains or attenuation on the source media so that it's "bit perfect" going out the hdmi port ?

You want to make sure in the audio output settings of XBMC that you have checked the formats that your receiver is capable of decoding and that the receiver is selected for the passthrough device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

redhalo posted:

XBMC doesn't amplify past your system settings. If you scale your os's master volume to something like 80% you shouldn't get any digital clipping. Aside from that, possibly modify XBMC's keybinds for volume so that they can't be triggered.

I run the intel HD display audio drivers, so sound it output via hdmi and the windows volume slider does nothing. 1 or 100% it's the same. Im going to have to investigate more. Most of the discussion via google searching is xbmcubuntu and openelec stuff.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Super late reply, but if you're having the issue where XBMC starts to stutter after being idle for a while in windows just set up a task in the task scheduler to reboot the system at like 4AM and use XBMCLAUNCHER to control booting it back up. Janky, but its fire and forget.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Did anyone back the Lightpack kickstarter?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woodenshark/lightpack-ambient-backlight-for-your-displays

I've just received mine and having a hell of a time setting it up in XBMC with Windows 7. The creator's documentation is horribly engrish.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Spekkio posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woodenshark/lightpack-ambient-backlight-for-your-displays

I've just received mine and having a hell of a time setting it up in XBMC with Windows 7. The creator's documentation is horribly engrish.

I'll be receiving mine today. I'm hoping with OpenELEC it's a piece of cake to set this up with an XBMC add-on.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Y'all please post about that when you get it setup, I'm very curious about it and somehow missed the kickstarter. If it's easy to setup and works with XMBC I'll buy one ASAP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

redhalo posted:

XBMC doesn't amplify past your system settings. If you scale your os's master volume to something like 80% you shouldn't get any digital clipping. Aside from that, possibly modify XBMC's keybinds for volume so that they can't be triggered.

Actually, if you go to the audio menu while playing a piece of video you can see there are two volume sliders - the first acts like you say, 0-100, then the second pushes extra amplification on top of this.

I have a similar setup to Jonathan, and my settings are top slider 100, 2nd slider 0, audio output HDMI. Make sure you save as defaults if you're changing these or it'll revert back on next play.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Actually, if you go to the audio menu while playing a piece of video you can see there are two volume sliders - the first acts like you say, 0-100, then the second pushes extra amplification on top of this.

I have a similar setup to Jonathan, and my settings are top slider 100, 2nd slider 0, audio output HDMI. Make sure you save as defaults if you're changing these or it'll revert back on next play.

Yeah, I just saw that last night actually. There aren't any keyboard binds for for the amplification slider though I don't think. Best to check it anyways if you think you're clipping.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I bought a HDMI-CEC adapter for my openelec machine and it works really well, unfortunately there's no button mapped to update the library. Anyone know if that can be changed by messing with an xml file or something?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why not just run the library updater addon?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

kri kri posted:

Why not just run the library updater addon?

Do you mean this? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update

My system is in sleep mode most of the time so a periodic scan wouldn't help. I don't have library updates on wake turned on since there isn't always new stuff to find when I turn it on and library updates on my system take a very long time so I want to do them as seldom as possible.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
That LED stuff seems weird and unnecessary, am I missing something?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I imagine having the area around your TV lit in colors that correspond to what's on screen is probably quite pleasant.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

That LED stuff seems weird and unnecessary, am I missing something?

Yeah, it's cool.

Also, in theory, it's more immersive, expanding the perceived size of your screen, reduces eye strain in dark rooms and could convey information visually such as new emails or whatever.

I just have static white led's on my tv and it makes a big difference in perceived contrast.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I feel like I'm mising something fundamental here. How is a bunch of changing colors eminating from behind your tv while you're watching a TV anything but distracting?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

I feel like I'm mising something fundamental here. How is a bunch of changing colors eminating from behind your tv while you're watching a TV anything but distracting?

Because of science.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4qng65TXw

edit: http://lightpack.tv/science gives a good explanation as well.

redhalo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 17, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've mentioned it before but we had a Phillips Ambilight for awhile and loved it. It adds a lot to watching a movie.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Would these ambient LED lights work on a wall that was painted a dark color?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Spekkio posted:

Waiting patiently for an update. This looks really cool.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

redhalo posted:

Because of science.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4qng65TXw

edit: http://lightpack.tv/science gives a good explanation as well.

I hope the lightpack people reduced the lag in color changing that I see in that Ambilight video. I like the look of the color behind the display but the delay seems very distracting to me.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

r0ck0 posted:

Waiting patiently for an update. This looks really cool.

I've managed to get it working with XBMC using the recommended "Prismatik" app. It runs in the background and monitors what's on the screen, then outputs the right colour.
It causes a bit of a performance hit on my machine, as XBMC needs to run in fullscreen window for it to work.

Now trying to get it working using the XBMC Boblight addon and the Boblight Daemon app.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Man that is something I never knew I needed before :) I will wait for people to work out the kinks and pick one up, just hope it runs alright with OpenElec + Zbox.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Spekkio posted:

I've managed to get it working with XBMC using the recommended "Prismatik" app. It runs in the background and monitors what's on the screen, then outputs the right colour.
It causes a bit of a performance hit on my machine, as XBMC needs to run in fullscreen window for it to work.

Now trying to get it working using the XBMC Boblight addon and the Boblight Daemon app.

I'm using it with the Boblight plugins - so far, it's hit or miss. It doesn't help that I need a lot more LEDs to work with size screen I have.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Webbeh posted:

I'm using it with the Boblight plugins - so far, it's hit or miss. It doesn't help that I need a lot more LEDs to work with size screen I have.

What's hit or miss about it? And what size is your screen.

I came very close to pre-ordering one last night so I'm curious about any details.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Minty Swagger posted:

Super late reply, but if you're having the issue where XBMC starts to stutter after being idle for a while in windows just set up a task in the task scheduler to reboot the system at like 4AM and use XBMCLAUNCHER to control booting it back up. Janky, but its fire and forget.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

While this is anecdotal and my not apply to the others that were having problems, I would experience the stuttering problems without any kind of discernible pattern, so it would happen if I had XBMC idle for as little as an hour, it would happen sometimes if I watched a video that was encoded in DD 2.0 and then switched to one that was encoded in DTS 5.1, and one time it happened when I was running PCSX2 then switched to XBMC for first time since starting Windows and tried to watch a video. So I don't think setting any kind of task scheduler would help since it happens so sporadically. The only consistent thing I've gathered from reading about others having the issue is that it happens with both nvidia and AMD video cards on Windows 7 XBMC.

Has anyone tried running Gotham to see if the issue is still prevalent in any of those builds?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Speaking of Gotham

quote:

In the last blog post we already told you we are working hard towards a Beta release. There are still some things that needs to improved before we are confident of releasing a Beta. We will of course keep you posted when that time comes. Work continues by the developers to iron out the know remaining issues as much as possible. Thanks to the users who install our latest development builds the remaining problems become known and we try to address these. Do note we may not be able to address all issues reported as time and available developers are limited. We all try our best but we hope all of you will understand this and we need to accept that some issues will remain.
If you are a developer and you are confident enough to dive into our source code and fix it we would appreciate it very much if you would create a so called pull-request on our github page for code review so it might be included.

There's a bunch more stuff, so click the link if you're curious.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I bought a HDMI-CEC adapter for my openelec machine and it works really well, unfortunately there's no button mapped to update the library. Anyone know if that can be changed by messing with an xml file or something?

In case anyone runs into the same problem, I was able to reconfigure the buttons on my remote by setting up a remote.xml and putting it into "IP from my OPENELEC box/userdata/keymaps/". I used these website to learn about the possible commands:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

EC posted:

What's hit or miss about it? And what size is your screen.

I came very close to pre-ordering one last night so I'm curious about any details.

47" screen.

The default configuration is a little bit more than I was expecting - this is likely because I'm in the first batch of those receiving a Lightpack box. I've got a settings configuration file on my OpenELEC machine, but the values aren't exactly representative of what's going on on screen.

Likely, I'll just need to sit down and do some more tinkering on the settings. I just don't have the time presently.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Webbeh posted:

47" screen.

The default configuration is a little bit more than I was expecting - this is likely because I'm in the first batch of those receiving a Lightpack box. I've got a settings configuration file on my OpenELEC machine, but the values aren't exactly representative of what's going on on screen.

Likely, I'll just need to sit down and do some more tinkering on the settings. I just don't have the time presently.

Hm. I was hoping one unit would be enough for my 55".

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Webbeh posted:

47" screen.

How far away from the wall is your screen? Lightpack's website originally said my 55" would need two, but they recently added a calculator that said I was good at my distance from the wall for one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
With Gotham entering beta soon I'm going to be gathering data to update the OP. Anything in particular needs updating? Specifically with hardware, skins, and add-ons, as I haven't really kept up.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

redhalo posted:

How far away from the wall is your screen? Lightpack's website originally said my 55" would need two, but they recently added a calculator that said I was good at my distance from the wall for one.

The documentation they provide with the unit suggests that the screen be greater than 5 inches from the wall. Mine isn't, so that might be causing some issues.

I'm also seeing a lot of color issues between what the screen shows and what the Lightpack is showing - blue and green seem to be swapped, which should be an easy fix configuration-wise. I just need some time to sit down and test changes to the config (since they require a restart) and make sure each of the locations are aligning with how Lightpack is set up.

For example, Lightpack shows how the first five numbers (1-5) should be connected to the unit, but not how 6-10 should be.

The joys of jumping on a new product, I suppose. All in time.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Webbeh posted:

The documentation they provide with the unit suggests that the screen be greater than 5 inches from the wall. Mine isn't, so that might be causing some issues.

I'm also seeing a lot of color issues between what the screen shows and what the Lightpack is showing - blue and green seem to be swapped, which should be an easy fix configuration-wise. I just need some time to sit down and test changes to the config (since they require a restart) and make sure each of the locations are aligning with how Lightpack is set up.

For example, Lightpack shows how the first five numbers (1-5) should be connected to the unit, but not how 6-10 should be.

The joys of jumping on a new product, I suppose. All in time.

Bear in mind I don't have mine yet, so I may be speaking out of my rear end. But it's my understanding that with a bigger screen and only one lightpack you want farther distance from the wall than specified. Like I mentioned before, their calculator said I was good at my 13" distance with 55".

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Spekkio posted:

I'm interested in an update too. I backed it but still haven't received mine. I run an old Acer r3610 for XBMC and I'm hoping it will have enough power to run it & 1080p at the same time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't agree with the lightpack. THX and Dolby have both published documentation on the benefits of colour neutral walls especially near the screen. Colour surrounding the screen throws off your perception of colour. For those of us who try to get a reference quality playback (as close as possible to what the studio intended), coloured lighting will throw this off.

Now, if you want it for ambience, to impress friends or simply because its cool then awesome! But I don't believe there is any benefit for picture quality, or immersion.

I do think it would go well with XBMC's music visualizer.

One interesting thing... For panel displays its recommended that people use a specific temperature bulb behind the screen when watching in a dark room to increase the perceived blacks on screen. I can't remember the exact colour temp, maybe 6200k ?

With this light pack, I wonder if it could be set up as a variable brightness neutral colour backlight, so with bright scenes it turns down, and dim scenes it turns up slightly so that you're always seeing the perfect balance of black level and shadow detail.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

jonathan posted:

With this light pack, I wonder if it could be set up as a variable brightness neutral colour backlight, so with bright scenes it turns down, and dim scenes it turns up slightly so that you're always seeing the perfect balance of black level and shadow detail.

In theory this can be accomplished using Prismatik by turning on "Average color on all LEDs" and playing with the brightness and gamma settings. Short of that you could write a plugin.

edit: oh wait, I see you want the light reverse of the screen brightness. Write a plugin seems like your option.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Here's a basic question: What's the easiest way to "externally" edit your database of Movies and stuff? As in, I want to mass re-tag some movies (for instance, fixing genre tags) and don't want to do within XBMC. I'm not very experience at all with SQL or any of that stuff.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Gozinbulx posted:

Here's a basic question: What's the easiest way to "externally" edit your database of Movies and stuff? As in, I want to mass re-tag some movies (for instance, fixing genre tags) and don't want to do within XBMC. I'm not very experience at all with SQL or any of that stuff.

Go into the Supplemental subforum on xbmc.org and pick your movie data editor of choice. XMM used to be popular, so that's something to start with. I would suggest testing these out on something other than your main collection first, though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

redhalo posted:

In theory this can be accomplished using Prismatik by turning on "Average color on all LEDs" and playing with the brightness and gamma settings. Short of that you could write a plugin.

edit: oh wait, I see you want the light reverse of the screen brightness. Write a plugin seems like your option.

Well, not my option. I have a controlled light dedicated theater room with a projector setup. My black levels are controlled by screen reflectivity (gain).

Currently I run a 1.0 gain screen and black levels are pretty good but not perfect. Thinking of stepping down to a .8 gain screen DIY style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PS thanks for the help with the xbmc volume controls. Turned out somehow the laptop soundcard driver was reenabled. Got it disabled and now its back to default doing passthrough properly.