Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

I sure do like to read criticisms of my welds on Facebook from strangers.

I seen that. :(

Yo dude, that poo poo is too cold.. or too fast..etc :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hope that guy takes you up on your $100 bet, assuming you have pictures of the rest of that project that show what rod you were using?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I sure do like to read criticisms of my welds on Facebook from strangers.

This is what the internet was designed for. Finding anything, no matter how small, to be condescending about.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dreesemonkey posted:

This is what the internet was designed for. Finding anything, no matter how small, to be condescending about.

Pfft. Look at the noob here. Ending a sentence on a preposition.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Pfft. Look at the noob here. Ending a sentence on a preposition.

If I knew what that meant I'd be so mad, you guys

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rodney from Facebook posted:

Still need some practice ,, stay with it you'll get there

This is so totally amusing to me. I hope you know your welding skills are legit and many, many people would love to be able to weld like you man :unsmith:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am getting really good at computer-simulated weld photos.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Rodney from Facebook posted:

Still need some practice ,, stay with it you'll get there

Search your feelings.....And soon you to may be a Jedi

:rolleyes:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://www.orlandogp.com/check-rankings/top-racers-of-the-month.aspx

Currently ranked number 9 (Dr. Death). :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I just went there last week!

Those carts are rough as hell on my flabby, out-of-shape arms.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

They always give me a bruise on my spine. :(

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Finally a rusty car. :smug:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This might be a dumb question, but you are going to restore that Datsun arent you? What is planned for engine/suspension?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The one that was blasted is getting a LS3 crate engine and new everything suspension. That rusty thing is a engine bay panel donor, which actually is rust free.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
WTF. The battery tray is, like, the first thing to rust on those things. I've seen so many strut tower/battery tray replacements.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Yep, this is truly the perfect donor car. Everything else is ruined so we might as well cut it up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And yet somewhere, some stancer is going to bemoan your destruction of the perfect chassis.

What I'm saying is to cut that fucker up into the smallest pieces you can.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I've never seen Bondo rust before. Fascinating car.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

We did a shop meeting out on the ocean today, better than being in the shop.

Caught nothing but puffer fish, which were practically jumping in the boat. What a shame.

Debated moving to Dubai to work on exotics, but the money doesn't make sense for the time and risk.

Edit: This boat is exactly where ours was today.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...0.6857453&fid=7

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 20, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My Uncle teaches in Dubai and says that most of the buildings are full of empty flats and that most people are complete thundercunt. Also, they have a bunch of weird laws like "no sex outside of marriage" and I seem to remember him saying that alcohol is illegal without having a tourist permit to drink it or something like that.

You'd basically be moving to a fascist Australia without having all the cute girls and surfing to make up for the heat.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am in the middle of a crunch to get 2014 a shot in the arm production wise, so there's not a whole lot interesting going on to the outside observer. I will update anyway!

The 5.3L swapped S10 is now daily driven. So far no complaints. Not much to go wrong with a stock Vortec V8.

A customer's Viper in the parking lot. Cool panel gaps, Dodge. Almost got it!

Guess what car smells like rodents and gets pushed the hell outside?

The "what I welded last" photo.

Ugh.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

A customer's Viper in the parking lot. Cool panel gaps, Dodge. Almost got it!

Hahaha, it looks like a terrible toupée on that car.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I wish I lived closer to Florida so I could talk these guys down to $5k.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-20B-R...55ea1ba&vxp=mtr

Ever dealt with them?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

That is way too far south for us, but that is the area where a lot of shady import stuff comes from. Any imported engine is a crap-shoot these days. If you are looking to spend $5k on a 20B I'll ask tomorrow though.

Fun fact: We were just talking about rotaries last night in the shop! I want to build a n/a 13B just to do it. I've been looking to ask about it in the rotary thread, but I won't even start till next year.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I want to build a peripheral port 13B drat it. Not carbed though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

That is way too far south for us, but that is the area where a lot of shady import stuff comes from. Any imported engine is a crap-shoot these days. If you are looking to spend $5k on a 20B I'll ask tomorrow though.

Fun fact: We were just talking about rotaries last night in the shop! I want to build a n/a 13B just to do it. I've been looking to ask about it in the rotary thread, but I won't even start till next year.

I'm looking for a C or D series 20b block for $5k that's not a boat anchor. No trans, turbos, wiring, ecu needed. (Intake manifolds, Throttle body, injectors, rails, alternator- yes if possible.) I know a fellow on the club said he bought a C series for $5k from them and it was a decent deal- but $7k is WAY to f'ing much.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I'll see what comes up when I cast the net out.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks, I really want to get my black FD back on the road with a 20b.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

What is a good way to contact you directly?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
fd3sengineering AT gmail

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

My Uncle teaches in Dubai and says that most of the buildings are full of empty flats and that most people are complete thundercunt. Also, they have a bunch of weird laws like "no sex outside of marriage" and I seem to remember him saying that alcohol is illegal without having a tourist permit to drink it or something like that.

You'd basically be moving to a fascist Australia without having all the cute girls and surfing to make up for the heat.

Most people forget that Dubai is a Muslin kingdom, as in: there is a king, and the laws are his whim.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Thought that muslin came from India and not the middle east :v:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Yes, look what came in the mail! I should have just broken down and bought one of these a while ago.

This is the sort of thing I look at during the day. Because we do everything the correct way, our exhausts are single pieces of stainless steel pipe CNC bent in America. The part that stinks is that it is extra work getting everything perfect the first time. Once they are done and programmed in there are no changes after!

Pretty good fit up, which is the goal as you can imagine. Too bad I am stuck using stinky bolt together flanges. I wish we could get a RELIABLE V-band supplier.

So this thing came clammering in for some work. At some point someone put an eBay exhaust on this car and it sounds terrible. I am to give an estimate on doing a proper one, and possibly headers. Too bad the guy is beating me up over the price. "But you can sell more later after you do mine!" Woah, never heard that one before!

The FAMOUS "last thing I welded" picture for the day.

My new kick-rear end white board.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I do my chemistry homework on a whiteboard I have hanging in my office room. There is something magic about whiteboards.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the type of person that would put an ebay exhaust on an NSX, or even drive it with one for very long isn't the type of customer that'd be good for you.

How dare he sully that machine in such a way. Next you're going to tell me he street parks it!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sure all eight NSX owners under the age of 60 will be clamoring at your doors to get their own American-skilled-labour-priced exhaust fabricated. :rolleyes:

Just pay the loving man, you drive a 90s supercar and surely that won't be the most expensive purchase you make for it.

Nice whiteboard. I agree, there's just something about them...

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the type of person that would put an ebay exhaust on an NSX, or even drive it with one for very long isn't the type of customer that'd be good for you.

How dare he sully that machine in such a way. Next you're going to tell me he street parks it!

I am told he bought it that way and wants it replaced.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ultimateforce posted:

The FAMOUS "last thing I welded" picture for the day.

What are the vertical welds on the back of this piece for? Help prevent it from warping due to heat while welding the header or something?

Also nice whiteboard, I need to get a larger one for my garage...I have too many projects.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

:ssh: It is to prewarp the flange before welding. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

ultimateforce posted:

:ssh: It is to prewarp the flange before welding. :ssh: