Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

If fantastic means really generic DC house style with weird perspectives then yes.

I thought DC house style was closer to Lee's or Finch's style?

I honestly don't remember any other current book with an animesque-style like this, on DC at least, since is closer to Udon's style (or at least it feels really similar to their Street Fighter comics). In any case is leaps and bounds better than this crap:

I'm actually kind of liking Noel's work more than Rocafort's on the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I honestly don't remember any other current book with an animesque-style like this, on DC at least, since is closer to Udon's style (or at least it feels really similar to their Street Fighter comics).

:psyduck:

No? No it doesn't at all?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought DC house style was closer to Lee's or Finch's style?

I honestly don't remember any other current book with an animesque-style like this, on DC at least, since is closer to Udon's style (or at least it feels really similar to their Street Fighter comics). In any case is leaps and bounds better than this crap:

I'm actually kind of liking Noel's work more than Rocafort's on the title.

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Superstring posted:

:psyduck:

No? No it doesn't at all?

I found it similar to this:

I Before E posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about?

I found Gopez's art really bland, static and uninspiring (also it have some really odd quircks like Kory's demonic eyebrows). Granted, I'm just being picky since my favorite artists are Ivan Reis, Rocafort and Kirkham.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

We are the annihilation wave.

Given our rate of consumption of planet Earth, we're Galactus.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I found Gopez's art really bland, static and uninspiring (also it have some really odd quircks like Kory's demonic eyebrows). Granted, I'm just being picky since my favorite artists are Ivan Reis, Rocafort and Kirkham.

Jesus christ, of all the people who have put graphite to paper in comics history, those are your favorites? Ew.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

In that top frame he looks like a Planet of the Apes character. Is that some sort of weird perspective of him looking up?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I Before E posted:

If the tone of the book is "ugly poo poo" than I agree wholeheartedly.

Well, it's Red Hood...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You know, for all the poo poo we give DT, at least he backs up why he enjoys these books/artists with actual reasons. Shine on, you crazy diamond!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Once in a while this thread has something that is so bad that my eyes try to instinctively protect me from it. They just glaze over it and I have to force myself to watch it. This is one of those. I don't know why it happens. I figure it's an evolutionary response from back in the days when we were still living in the woods and out of nowhere, BAM there's a monkey rear end in a top hat. Nobody wants to see that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ignoring generic dumb poo poo I've been looking back through Phil Noto's "heroes through time" series and it's still really good.

The Franklin meeting Hulk scene is pretty much perfect.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Noto is quickly moving up the list of my favorite artists, he's really great at showing character in his faces. This sketch of Widow and Hawkeye he did is pretty great:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The Franklin meeting Hulk scene is pretty much perfect.

It helps that he has the same face the Hulk did in the 1966 picture.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Always nice to see the Daily Planet going extradimensional to get a scoop :v:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

These photos are charming, some are clever, but Noto really has the problem with variety and dynamics and his sequantial work is pretty bad because of it.

Mike Deodato sure loves the bullet casings from the infamous Minigun Daredevil page, so he brought them back for Original Sin:

A published page in a top 10 best-selling comic, starring naked model of a helicopter:

Deodato is no Finch, but I am still baffled at his status as one of the prime artists at Marvel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that all just painted over CGI? It really looks like someone used poser to design the scene and then just told a colourist to paint the costumes on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deodato is real hit or miss. I really like the way he does lighting; it's a very specific style that doesn't resemble any other artist, and he often manages to cram in an incredible amount of detail in his bigger spreads. But I swear he's getting worse and worse about the whole poser thing. When he's bad, his art just looks like the laziest poo poo imaginable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Noto is really good at drawing the one face he draws.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Polaron posted:

Always nice to see the Daily Planet going extradimensional to get a scoop :v:
This happens a lot. Peter Parker and/or JJJ show in a lot of press conferences in DC books. It's a running joke between the two companies.

Phil Sheldon (the photojournalist protagonist of Busiek's MARVELS miniseries) shows up a lot, too.

e: A panel from the MARVELS gn. Clark, Jimmy, and Lois in the upper corner

e2: And again

FMguru fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 19, 2014

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Endless Mike posted:

Noto is really good at drawing the one face he draws.
I just assume all characters in Noto books are actually related.

Here's some Surfer:

Chris Samnee

Esad Ribic

Steve Rude (I think?)

Kirby

Drawing awesome cosmos should be a requirement for all comic book artists.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Look at all you guys posting art that you think is bad. Haha, scrubs. :smug:

I present to you, Marvel Girl #1 (2011), apparently you were supposed to pay money for this?

The artist is Nuno Plati. It literally looks like some of the worst amateur fanart I've seen that doesn't involve people having sex with each other.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh god that looks like some terrible webcomic. I like the color and lighting in the Xavier interview page but wow otherwise it's all really lovely and garish and badly drawn.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER BODY

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Anorexia is no laughing matter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She must have been the model for this pickup:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

fatherboxx posted:

These photos are charming, some are clever, but Noto really has the problem with variety and dynamics and his sequantial work is pretty bad because of it.

Mike Deodato sure loves the bullet casings from the infamous Minigun Daredevil page, so he brought them back for Original Sin:

A published page in a top 10 best-selling comic, starring naked model of a helicopter:

Deodato is no Finch, but I am still baffled at his status as one of the prime artists at Marvel.

I think Noto is improving a lot when it comes to action with Black Widow, everything is starting to feel more dynamic. I'll agree with the mess that is Deodato. Ignoring Land i'd say he's the worst "major" Marvel artist.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

GorfZaplen posted:

Secondary mutation.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This is the cover for the upcoming Superman / Wonder Woman #7, due in April. Although it's good work from a technical standpoint, it doesn't feel appropriate for a cover. It looks more like a panel from inside the book.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hey, Clark - gotcher nose!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FMguru posted:

Hey, Clark - gotcher nose!

Well he is vulnerable to magic.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, the long-awaited DCU/He-Man crossover.

Seriously, I thought that was Skeletor in the timg.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Baron Bifford posted:

This is the cover for the upcoming Superman / Wonder Woman #7, due in April. Although it's good work from a technical standpoint, it doesn't feel appropriate for a cover. It looks more like a panel from inside the book.

I actually love it but it looks like it's inked sloppy, which has absolutely got to be intentional. It looks great but the roughness bugs me. I like stuff to be a little rough, like some of the Noto pieces earlier, but that's a bit much. I really like WW's face there a whole bunch though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Dustin Weaver is a goddamn beast:

(open image in a new tab for full-size)

VVVV
It is adorably tiny.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Dustin Weaver is a goddamn beast:

Thanos had a disease which made his head get 10% smaller every year.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Elfface posted:

Ah, the long-awaited DCU/He-Man crossover.

For some reason this sounds familiar. Why does this sound familiar? Didn't they actually release such a thing recently?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

For some reason this sounds familiar. Why does this sound familiar? Didn't they actually release such a thing recently?
It's happened a few times.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's happening right now so it seems. Gavok posted a panel from DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe #4, showing some kind of massive Skeletor or something.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Flesh Forge posted:

I actually love it but it looks like it's inked sloppy, which has absolutely got to be intentional. It looks great but the roughness bugs me. I like stuff to be a little rough, like some of the Noto pieces earlier, but that's a bit much. I really like WW's face there a whole bunch though.

It's not inked; it's pencils dumped directly to Photoshop for color. It looks rough because, as comic art goes, it ain't actually finished, really.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just found the new Batwoman is partially told in double page spreads of Francis Manapul art and rushed to this thread screencappin'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just found the new Batwoman is partially told in double page spreads of Francis Manapul art and rushed to this thread screencappin'.

Wow.