Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Couch Life posted:

I really enjoy the survival aspect of apocalypse stories and was wondering if anyone had anything in that style? Stuff like The Walking Dead, but not a comic book. Fantasy is good as well. Really, any gritty survival story about a (preferably) small group of people against holy poo poo things.

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

The Passage by Justin Cronin - this one is the first in a series

The Death of Grass by John Christopher/Samuel Youd (think it was called something else in the US?)

On the Beach by Nevil Shute - it's somewhat less the usual survival part of the apocalypse story and super depressing

Swan Song by Robert McCammon - I found this one a bit meh personally but others like it, it has more the supernatural flair similar to The Stand

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Star Man's Son/Daybreak 2250 AD by Andre Norton - it's very much a sci-fi novel of it's time, very schlocky

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - one of the first classic nuclear apocalypse stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Couch Life posted:

I really enjoy the survival aspect of apocalypse stories and was wondering if anyone had anything in that style? Stuff like The Walking Dead, but not a comic book. Fantasy is good as well. Really, any gritty survival story about a (preferably) small group of people against holy poo poo things.

I'll recommend The Last Canadian by William C. Heine

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Check out the Post-Apocalypse Recommendations thread as well, if you need more suggestions. I'm using the app so I can't link it, but it shouldn't be buried too far in the Book Barn.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Enfys posted:

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - one of the first classic nuclear apocalypse stories

Those, along with Earth Abides, are my standard recommendations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

funkybottoms posted:

Those, along with Earth Abides, are my standard recommendations.

I was gonna recommend Earth Abides too, but there's really no "holy gently caress things" as an enemy, and is way more of a survey of a post-apocalyptic world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I was gonna recommend Earth Abides too, but there's really no "holy gently caress things" as an enemy, and is way more of a survey of a post-apocalyptic world.

Nothing on a grand scale like zombies or a comet, but there are plenty of things that have profound impacts/implications on and for the group. True, it might be more subtle than what was requested, but I think it's all the more powerful for it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Couch Life posted:

I'll back up Enfys on The Death of Grass (No Blade of Grass in the US) - one of the few PA stories I've read that follows the brutal logic of survival all the way through. The Day of the Triffids is a classic as well.

I also really enjoyed Peter Heller's recent novel The Dog Stars, set in a plague-devastated Colorado, which doesn't bring anything
new to the genre, but everything it does it does very well - especially liked the main character's partnership with a man he doesn't quite trust.

Oh, and not really a book recommendation, but if you enjoy The Walking Dead you really must play the game, which is far superior to the TV show (and I say that as a fan of the show). It's the kind of game even people who don't play games can enjoy, since most of it involves interacting with your fellow survivors and managing relationships, and it has by far one of the best and most heart-wrenching stories I've ever found in a game. Available on all iOS platforms too.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I just finished The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, and it really moved me. I'd like to read more "classic" literature, maybe some Orwell, Faulkner, or Huxley. I don't know, what are some good reads along those lines?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I finished The Old Man and the Sea a couple of months ago and I found it pretty powerful but also serene at the same time.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just finished The Stand (Unabriged Version) by Stephen King. God, I don't recommend it. Too long. I anti-recommend it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Donald Kimball posted:

I just finished The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, and it really moved me. I'd like to read more "classic" literature, maybe some Orwell, Faulkner, or Huxley. I don't know, what are some good reads along those lines?

A few posts up I recommended The Idiot by Dostoevsky and The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas -- both really great books and I thoroughly endorse the translation in the Project Gutenberg versions.
Huxley's Brave New World is great. Orwell's 1984 gets all the mass media love (and it's legitimately good too) but I like BNW better. Sadly, our society is combining the worst elements of the two (constant survellience + continual feed of entertainment to distract and inure us from poo poo we should actually care about)
Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is very good.
I'm not sure what age you consider the classics to start at, but for the most part they are considered classic for a reason and you won't go wrong with anything from Jane Eyre to Oliver Twist to The Bell Jar. I mean, I could make hundreds of recommendations, given that your question is asking "What books of the last 500 years should I read". If you like Hemingway, why not read more Hemingway to start?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Donald Kimball posted:

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or Catch-22 by Joseph Heller sort of go along with the Orwell/Huxley theme and are good reads.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Donald Kimball posted:

If you've never read any Faulkner before, maybe start with one of his lighter reads, like The Reivers or The Unvanquished? They're not as great as some of his other books, but stuff like Absalom, Absalom!, where there's different people narrating the story (and they're all pretty unreliable) can be pretty daunting. His short stories are great, too: maybe try The Bear and see what you think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The easiest and best place to start with Faulkner is the Go Down, Moses short story collection. The stories all fit together into a single overarching novel, but each is accessible independently and some are easier to approach than others so you can work on it like a puzzle.

For Orwell start with his essays -- "Politics and the English Language" and "Shooting an Elephant."

What I'd really recommend if you like Hemingway though is Steinbeck. Read Cannery Row.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

No Longer Flaky posted:

Just finished The Stand (Unabriged Version) by Stephen King. God, I don't recommend it. Too long. I anti-recommend it.

Let me recommend the originally published (i.e., abridged) version of The Stand. Really shows what an editor can do for an author.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I read the 1000+ page version of The Stand and I thought it was great. Long yes, but still a great book.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

RCarr posted:

I read the 1000+ page version of The Stand and I thought it was great. Long yes, but still a great book.

I usually recommend for people to read the abridged version first, then read the long version if they're so inclined. I enjoyed both versions, personally.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Huxley's Brave New World is great. Orwell's 1984 gets all the mass media love (and it's legitimately good too) but I like BNW better. Sadly, our society is combining the worst elements of the two (constant survellience + continual feed of entertainment to distract and inure us from poo poo we should actually care about)

For my money Animal Farm is the far superior and more enjoyable book to 1984. The second is one of those books that is really important to society, and needed to be written, but is actually a tedious drag to read.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

No Longer Flaky posted:

The first half was good, but the man has a serious problem with endings. He puts hundreds of pages of effort into making you think you're reading one book, and then he's like "Haha, gotcha!" at the end. I guess after so many pages he can't figure out a good way to tie up all those loose ends, so he just destroys them all with something really convenient.

If you didn't like The Stand, don't bother with Under the Dome pretty much the same basic plot arc happens, nearly everyone dies in a fire at the end because a crazy guy decides God is telling him to destroy everyone, so the 850 pages of intricate plot with all the loose ends you've been wanting to find a conclusion for is suddenly meaningless because they're all dead and it was just aliens being random dicks. Though if you liked The Stand, Under the Dome is probably a good choice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree. You kind of have to go into a Stephen King book expecting a great story and a poor ending.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell
As somebody who enjoys horror films and recently started to read more, I'm looking for some horror fiction book suggestions. Something involving demonology would be great as I really like the themes in the Paranormal Activity series or The Conjuring (2013). Bonus points if it involves architectural horror. I'm a big fan of Louisiana/southern gothic type things (though this setting isn't mandatory). Not a fan of zombies or aliens. I hope I gave you enough to go on.

Is the Amityville Horror book any good? I've heard mixed reviews but I think the negative ones mostly involve it being portrayed as a true story, which of course it isn't.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Speaking of Stephen King, I've never actually read anything from him before and started The Gunslinger a while ago, and it was very hard to read. I kept having to go back and re-read pages because it was so hard to follow. Does this series at least get easier to keep up with later on? I love the idea and the premise but not the execution right now in the first book.

Also, I'd like to check out John Saul, what's a good place to start?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Really? The Gunslinger I remember as being a relatively simple and easy to follow book. Was it the prose or the structure? I do vaguely remember a flashback sequence but don't recall it being distracting.

It's common opinion, even amongst fans, that the series goes horribly downhill towards the end. Like, off-the-wall crazy nonsensical poo poo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

If you find the first Dark Tower book challenging, then stop now, things will not get better.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Actually, though the story is dead simple, I find the first gunslinger actually one of King's hardest to read books. It's on the level of sentence structure and syntax or something, because everything else he writes is just so much smoother and more pleasant to read. I think it has to do with the fact that it was written by an 18-year-old King.

I'd actually say skip to the next Dark Tower book, and see how that goes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah it was just the wording mostly, I had to read it slowly and carefully to understand what was going on. I got about a third of the way through the first book before I put it down. Shame about the rest of the series though, I'll probably avoid it since it doesn't sound worth the effort.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm looking for a book (or series) that is about a gigantic wall (not ASoIaF) and a bunch of civilizations that live on it or something like that. I heard about it a while back and cant remember the name.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Likely _Stone and Sky_.

TommyGun85 posted:

That's the one. Thanks. Is it any good?

This is from a couple of pages back but I just wanted to add that I've read the trilogy (Stone and Sky/Sea/Sun) 2 or 3 times through and I love it. It's not mindblowing or high literature or anything, just a fun adventure series involving an infinite vertical world, dragons, basilisks, Neolithic people, wood-spirits, merfolk, Krakatoa, Charles Darwin, and manipulation of history by altering memories.

(^^^^ pretty much everything you need to know about the setting ^^^^)

If anyone has any trouble getting hold of the third book (Stone and Sun) by the way, I have an extra copy.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So I'm on a mystery kick lately, and enjoy detective fiction. But I prefer something different. Can anyone recommend me good mysteries with an eccentric detective, or one that has an unusual handicap/circumstance?

Examples of books that fit what I'm looking for:

Inherent Vice by Pynchon: a detective who's constantly stoned or on hallucinogens.
The Little Sleep by Tremblay: a detective who suffers from severe narcolepsy which causes hallucinations, memory loss, and automatic behavior while asleep.
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters: a detective story set in a world that will be destroyed in six months.
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Rankin: a little boy and a teddy bear detective in Toy Land.
Three Bags Full by Swann: a flock of sheep solve a mystery.
[b]The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie[b] by Bradley: A 12 year old girl who loves chemistry solves a murder. (I wasn't the biggest fan.)

Any other good books that fit this category? Especially ones that are on par with the first three I mentioned.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Franchescanado posted:

So I'm on a mystery kick lately, and enjoy detective fiction. But I prefer something different. Can anyone recommend me good mysteries with an eccentric detective, or one that has an unusual handicap/circumstance?

Howard Engel has a long running detective series, fairly standard stuff until the 11th book in the series, Memory Book:

quote:

Aging, Jewish-Canadian gum-shoe, Benny Cooperman, awakes in hospital from a coma to discover that he has forgotten many things about himself and his recent past. He has also lost the ability to read, although he still can write: alexia sine agraphia. The therapists give him a memory book as an aide to functional recovery; he must record vital information for later deciphering. He learns that he was found unconscious in a dumpster with a blow to the head; beside him lay the corpse of a woman professor.

An intriguing pathography of a frightening neurological condition, presented in murder-mystery form. Award-winning crime author, Engel, experienced a small but devastating stroke that left him with the rare disability of alexia sine agraphia. The writer could write, but he could no longer read what he had written. The illness resulted in weeks of hospitalization and therapy. In this, the eleventh Benny Cooperman novel, Engle assigns exactly the same problem to his long-time hero; instead of a stroke, the cause is a head injury. The protagonist solves the mystery of his murdering attacker, but he also tackles the greater mystery of how to function with neither reading nor remembering in a highly literate world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Timothy Hallinan's Junior Bender Mysteries, Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series, Daniel Woodrell's The Bayou Trilogy, Don Winslow's Neal Carey Mysteries, Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, Phlip K Dick's Ubik (which is not strictly a detective novel, but still works as one, and definitely meets the "unusual circumstances" requirement)

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Inherent Vice by Pynchon: a detective who's constantly stoned or on hallucinogens.
The Little Sleep by Tremblay: a detective who suffers from severe narcolepsy which causes hallucinations, memory loss, and automatic behavior while asleep.
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters: a detective story set in a world that will be destroyed in six months.
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Rankin: a little boy and a teddy bear detective in Toy Land.
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley: A 12 year old girl who loves chemistry solves a murder. (I wasn't the biggest fan.)

Any other good books that fit this category? Especially ones that are on par with the first three I mentioned.

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is as eccentric as they come. Try The League of Frightened Men for starters.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

terrorist plumber posted:

I'll second this, although it is first and foremost, in typical Douglas Adams fashion, a comedy.

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. Policeman instead of a detective but that's basically semantics; it's a mystery story and there's definitely eccentricity.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I am looking for a modern novel that makes me want to see the world. Something like The Savage Detectives by Bolano. Working long days now so it has to be an easy read.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. Policeman instead of a detective but that's basically semantics; it's a mystery story and there's definitely eccentricity.

Agreeing with this.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

terrorist plumber posted:

While I agree this is a great book, it only becomes a mystery novel about halfway through and really only to Dirk himself. This book shouldn't be read if you're expecting a true mystery, but should be read if you're looking for a gripping comedy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Klayboxx posted:

While I agree this is a great book, it only becomes a mystery novel about halfway through and really only to Dirk himself. This book shouldn't be read if you're expecting a true mystery, but should be read if you're looking for a gripping comedy.

There's a mystery established pretty early on: how did the couch get stuck in the stairwell / how to get it unstuck

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I don't know if they fully qualify as 'eccentric detective' but I enjoy all the novels by Martin Cruz Smith involving Arkady Renko solving cases, such as Gorky Park, Wolves Eat Dogs, Polar Star...

He may not be eccentric but he's certainly flawed and since he seems to spend a good deal of his time fighting with Soviet political interference to do his job, that might qualify under the 'handicap' :)

In any case, they're darkly funny in parts and I enjoy the writing.

edit: for a older-era crime novel by the same author, Rose is excellent.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a mystery established pretty early on: how did the couch get stuck in the stairwell / how to get it unstuck

I suppose you are correct! :psyduck:

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Franchescanado posted:

[b]The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie[b] by Bradley: A 12 year old girl who loves chemistry solves a murder. (I wasn't the biggest fan.)

Not sure if this is too out there for you but there is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon in which the 'detective' is a 15 year old autistic kid. It was one of those BIG DEAL books about a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Poutling posted:

Not sure if this is too out there for you but there is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon in which the 'detective' is a 15 year old autistic kid. It was one of those BIG DEAL books about a decade ago.

Oh, yeah, this is a great recommendation.