Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm pretty sure that David Carr and Joey Harrington weren't though of the way they are today when they were coming out of college. You have the benefit of hindsight right now with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Harrington was a highly accurate QB with a ton of intangibles. Carr was also a highly mobile QB in the mold of Aaron Rodgers. I don't see any reason for either one of them to drop out of the first round at the time they were taken, although I barely followed the draft until 04.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
:allears: Ronald Curry

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dexo posted:

So are we just collectively ignoring the year 2002.

Josh McCown or Garrard is the best loving Quarterback out of that Draft.

2007 is worse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Counter counter counterpoint, EJ Manuel was actually quite good coming out and his game tape looked a hell of a lot better than Geno Smith's.
Most people's evaluation of Geno Smith started and ended with the Baylor game. He had some awful stretches.

The real surprise for me was how much Geno has forced the ball and thrown interceptions. Watching him in college he constantly played it safe and I just assumed he'd be incredibly unspectacular as a pro, rather than a complete flame-out. I just expected him to be loving mediocre.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

McCarron isn't like Manuel because McCarron has a reputation as a game manager and doesn't really have the tools to offset that. Showing that he has a big arm and can make tough throws in the senior bowl would be the quickest way to elevate his stock (unless he runs like a 4.5 40 and crushes the passing drills)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have McCarron's ceiling capped at 2nd round status with a chance to move up into the top 20 if a team is desperate. All those FBS darling QBs inevitably drop to the sixth round so McCarron's name should carry him alone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dexo posted:

Carr has had a long career and even has an NFL record. That qualifies as success!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Quest For Glory II posted:

The real surprise for me was how much Geno has forced the ball and thrown interceptions. Watching him in college he constantly played it safe and I just assumed he'd be incredibly unspectacular as a pro, rather than a complete flame-out. I just expected him to be loving mediocre.
Geno was hardly ever called on to throw it deep, he doesn't have a great eye downfield even though his mechanics are fine. He has the potential to improve, I think the blame can be shared with the Jets playcalling which didn't seem suited to his strengths. This year that will be the knock on Carr and Boyd (although this year they dialed Boyd downfield more and he showed a great touch when he did, so I'm a lot less worried about that.)

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 17, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elotana posted:

Geno was hardly ever called on to throw it deep, he doesn't have a great eye downfield even though his mechanics are fine. He has the potential to improve, I think the blame can be shared with the Jets playcalling which didn't seem suited to his strengths. This year that will be the knock on Carr and Boyd (although this year they dialed Boyd downfield more and he showed a great touch when he did, so I'm a lot less worried about that.)

In college he threw deep a ton and displayed ok mechanics with a penchant for bouncing up and down before he threw. He was also tentative on the intermediate routes despite having a cannon, which makes me believe he has confidence issues as his main downside.

Geno Smiths a pretty good QB, he just has a lot to put together and was a bigger project than advertised. It's probably why he fell to the second.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
counter counter counter points: Christian Ponder, Tim T-Bo, Jason Campbell

McCarron has some reason to believe that he's a first round possibility.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
In college geno had poor accuracy mid and deep. I beat that drum consistently but I also said that Keenan Allen couldn't get separation in the nfl so I'm a doofus

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

Josh McCown or Garrard is the best loving Quarterback out of that Draft.

*ahem* let me remind you about 2007:

- JaMarcus "I'm so overpaid we need a new CBA to stop this from happening again" Russel
- Brady "Super Pro-System Ready" Quinn
- Kevin "Someone's gonna waste a 2nd round pick on me" Kolb
- John "I'm going to hold the Dolphins back three years" Beck
- Drew "I will never be taken seriously" Stanton
- Trent "blah" Edwards
- Isaiah "I'm being drafted as a WR" Stanback
- Jeff "I've never heard of me either" Rowe
- Troy "I couldn't beat Kyle Boller for a starting job" Smith
- Jordan "All the worst qualities of Carson" Palmer
- Tyler "Laughingstock" Thigpen

I'll take McCown or Gerrard over that batch all day long, every day

E: Also Manuel was underrated and the best QB in the draft. It was a smart pick by the Bills.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

E: Also Manuel was underrated and the best QB in the draft. It was a smart pick by the Bills.

I can't remember why everyone was so down on him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Declan MacManus posted:

I can't remember why everyone was so down on him.

Mind boggling losses to NCSU, and looking awful against the top tier ACC defenses. That's my bet.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
FSU literally got better without Manuel at the helm.

Hot drat, just looked it up -- I didn't realize FSU had 11 players drafted last year. That makes their year so much more impressive.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Mind boggling losses to NCSU, and looking awful against the top tier ACC defenses. That's my bet.

Pretty much. He had all the tools to rip apart the ACC but didn't do much with them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I thought he had big upside and was a pretty charismatic dude but I wasn't expecting him to be the first taken.

Then again there was a point when people kept mocking Nassib as a top 10 pick simply because Same Coach Same QB

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Doltos posted:

In college he threw deep a ton
What.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/2/28/4036850/adjusted-completion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

33% of his passes were behind the line of scrimmage at WVU, less than 15% went beyond 14 yards. He sticks out like a sore thumb on that chart because Holgo is not about the deep ball as much as getting guys in space.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 17, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dexo posted:

Counterpoint EJ Manuel.

Funnily enough, EJ Manuel had a really great Senior Bowl performance.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

In college geno had poor accuracy mid and deep. I beat that drum consistently but I also said that Keenan Allen couldn't get separation in the nfl so I'm a doofus
That was the knock on him from his college charts which is funny now because he was basically the exact opposite this year. In addition to him being mostly terrible on short passes, he was also 3rd in PFF's Deep Accuracy Index behind Wilson and Peyton.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doltos posted:

Harrington was a highly accurate QB with a ton of intangibles. Carr was also a highly mobile QB in the mold of Aaron Rodgers. I don't see any reason for either one of them to drop out of the first round at the time they were taken, although I barely followed the draft until 04.

The Harrington Skills Drill gif is the greatest artistic accomplishment of our time.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Harrington Skills Drill gif is the greatest artistic accomplishment of our time.

Harrington_not_exploding_shack_with_football.gif is pretty good too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That would be Jake Delhomme, sir

But of course, Delhomme's best gif is always the one where he throws his arms in frustration with a look of agony on his face

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zypher posted:

FSU literally got better without Manuel at the helm.

Yeah, they replaced him with a Heisman trophy winner.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jeff Mathews is going to take the Jets to a Super Bowl

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

TheChirurgeon posted:

*ahem* let me remind you about 2007:

- Drew "I will never be taken seriously" Stanton

Matt Millen, ladies and gentlemen.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Drew Bledsoe Scramble Cam disagrees.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I remember being so excited that the Lions were going to get David Harris, and then Millen picked Stanton

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Stanton can be a perfectly capable Shaun Hill type. I genuinely think Trent Edwards was good but couldn't stay healthy to save his life.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't Trent Edwards have a ridiculously weak arm?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Intruder posted:

I'm pretty sure that David Carr and Joey Harrington weren't though of the way they are today when they were coming out of college. You have the benefit of hindsight right now with them

I thought the problem with Carr is that he had no line and got consistently pummeled?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Excuse me, all mentions of David Carr must be prefaced with the words "Super Bowl Winning QB"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Super Bowl "Winning" QB

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
He had a coveted position as Eli Mannings backup QB.

It was very hard.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
If you don't find the fact that David Carr has a ring hilarious then you just aren't a fan of football.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

David Carr probably wouldn't even be the worst SB winning starting QB if he had started

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Febreeze posted:

If you don't find the fact that David Carr has a ring hilarious then you just aren't a fan of football.

Bernie Kosar did it first and did it better

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

I thought the problem with Carr is that he had no line and got consistently pummeled?

It was partly that but a nontrivial amount of the sacks he took were him running out of bounds behind the LOS instead of throwing it away. Dude didn't really work at improving his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

David Carr probably wouldn't even be the worst SB winning starting QB if he had started

He was so good in the preseason that I was convinced an Eli injury wouldn't have been a travesty. Thank God nothing happened to test that theory.

• Locked thread