Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Odds are pretty good that Rose is going to be Blakes familiar, based on the fact that Blake has to somehow cheat in one aspect of implement, demnese and familiar in order to not shortchange himself. Binding an aspect of himself = shortcut.

It might also be a way to get Rose into a body. Animal or otherwise. (Probably animal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

NecroMonster posted:

So, Pact just what the hell is Rose, how could that old bitch have had the time to set "Rose" up in the little time she had. Anyway, it seems like granny expected Molly wasn't going to make it but couldn't just go with Blake as a first choice after the rules she set and thus could not break, so she put Blake second. This makes me believe that the order is likely more important that just Blake being second, in fact it makes me suspicious of Paige, very very suspicious of Paige. Even more suspicious is that, if Paige was really that wrong, why not just remove her from the list of possibles? If she can add Blake to that list surely she must have been able to out and out remove someone. Is Paige already "Awake" and involved in this supernatural poo poo maybe?

I don't really have anything else to say we don't have enough information for me to really do any solid speculating at this point.

Pact 1.7 hypotheticals below. I don't think anything here is extremely spoilery, but skip it if you're not through 1.7 just to be sure:

I'm thinking that Granny really doesn't want the house to end up without an heir (dangerous demon free, anyone?) So she puts people who are more likely to buy the, frankly, ridiculous nature of things and who are die-hard survivors earlier in the list, and those that are capable but harder to convince later in the list.

I think she's pretty sure Blake and Paige are the only ones who could really do it, and put buffer people before them to convince them of the serious nature of the situation.

Imagine being Paige and not believing a single thing about Granny's tall-tales. You're last on the long list of inheritors. Gradually, everyone before you in the list begins to die off myseriously. By the time your turn is up, you're gonna be ready to throw down, that's for sure. Meanwhile, Blake is a survivor. He's been living on the streets and keeping himself alive. He's seen some bad poo poo (insert his hinting as such to Rose here). He's better to put higher in the list.

Basically, Granny's best choice was Paige, but she put her last to give the line an anchor.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 13, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

That's possible, except getting someone to believe shouldn't be difficult given that granny had demonstrable magic powers. Really, the only reason things are the way they are is because that's how the story was written to create drama. Because, thinking about it, there was no reason whatsoever for her to create the massive family poo poo fight except for the writer to have an easy way of establishing relationships between characters. She could have raised a protege (Paige in your example, if she was the "best" choice) who knew the truth from the beginning and would have been completely prepared for taking over. She could have told the entire family the truth and let them know the succession order and that they shouldn't actually want to be the inheritor. She also could have let them have normal family relationships and sprung the only one inheritor thing in her will.

There isn't much point trying to for hypotheticals at this point regarding granny's motives, because she is a gigantic plot contrivance to be used for the authors whims (which is understandable enough, right at the beginning of a story).

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Shakugan posted:

That's possible, except getting someone to believe shouldn't be difficult given that granny had demonstrable magic powers. Really, the only reason things are the way they are is because that's how the story was written to create drama. Because, thinking about it, there was no reason whatsoever for her to create the massive family poo poo fight except for the writer to have an easy way of establishing relationships between characters. She could have raised a protege (Paige in your example, if she was the "best" choice) who knew the truth from the beginning and would have been completely prepared for taking over. She could have told the entire family the truth and let them know the succession order and that they shouldn't actually want to be the inheritor. She also could have let them have normal family relationships and sprung the only one inheritor thing in her will.

There isn't much point trying to for hypotheticals at this point regarding granny's motives, because she is a gigantic plot contrivance to be used for the authors whims (which is understandable enough, right at the beginning of a story).

True enough. I do hope (and expect, given Wildbow's quality of writing) that we'll find out the reasons she couldn't (or wouldn't) do any of that later. I'm guessing there's some sort of official masquerade going on that has to be maintained; either for vanity of powerful beings, or sanity of powerless ones.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I don't buy that Paige was Granny's first choice... not after she ran away crying. I figure that Grandma Rose would want a heiress with more of a spine than that.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, the priorities seem to be fighting spirit above all. The feistiest are the most likely to throw enemies who anticipate a more conventional heir off.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

So, Pact just what the hell is Rose, how could that old bitch have had the time to set "Rose" up in the little time she had. Anyway, it seems like granny expected Molly wasn't going to make it but couldn't just go with Blake as a first choice after the rules she set and thus could not break, so she put Blake second. This makes me believe that the order is likely more important that just Blake being second, in fact it makes me suspicious of Paige, very very suspicious of Paige. Even more suspicious is that, if Paige was really that wrong, why not just remove her from the list of possibles? If she can add Blake to that list surely she must have been able to out and out remove someone. Is Paige already "Awake" and involved in this supernatural poo poo maybe?

I don't really have anything else to say we don't have enough information for me to really do any solid speculating at this point.

It seems to me that she knew that Paige had obligations outside of the house that would get her immediately killed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

veekie posted:

Yeah, the priorities seem to be fighting spirit above all. The feistiest are the most likely to throw enemies who anticipate a more conventional heir off.

Makes Molly sort of a crappy first choice if so, but I guess the whole having Blake stand in for his little sister thing might not have flown at that moment. Of course putting Molly first might have been a method of manipulating Blake as well.

I need to reread Blake's chat with granny in light of the fact that she cannot tell a lie.

And yeah, its pretty obvious that Rose is going to end up Blake's familiar, because that not only allows Blake to cheat a bit but also gives him a familiar that is VERY predisposed to cooperation with him. The only real problem there is that Rose is not strong by any stretch of the imagination. This still leaves me with the whole wondering just what the gently caress Rose actually is. I wonder if one of Blake's parents is the one Granny used for the Barbatorum ritual, and the whole mirror Self is a side effect of that.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

Makes Molly sort of a crappy first choice if so, but I guess the whole having Blake stand in for his little sister thing might not have flown at that moment. Of course putting Molly first might have been a method of manipulating Blake as well.

I need to reread Blake's chat with granny in light of the fact that she cannot tell a lie.

And yeah, its pretty obvious that Rose is going to end up Blake's familiar, because that not only allows Blake to cheat a bit but also gives him a familiar that is VERY predisposed to cooperation with him. The only real problem there is that Rose is not strong by any stretch of the imagination. This still leaves me with the whole wondering just what the gently caress Rose actually is. I wonder if one of Blake's parents is the one Granny used for the Barbatorum ritual, and the whole mirror Self is a side effect of that.

Molly did last a good while, even if she lacked the necessary insight to look past the bullshit.

She isn't weak either, by far. She's Awakened too, she must be just trying all the wrong things.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I figure that Molly was picked over Blake because Granny had said that she would choose a woman.

I see no reason to think that Mirror Rose is awakened or awakenable. It's possible that she isn't even alive or human. There's no telling whether she'd make a good familiar. I could definitely see Wildbow burdening Blake with a lovely familiar.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I figure that Molly was picked over Blake because Granny had said that she would choose a woman.

I see no reason to think that Mirror Rose is awakened or awakenable. It's possible that she isn't even alive or human. There's no telling whether she'd make a good familiar. I could definitely see Wildbow burdening Blake with a lovely familiar.

A lovely familiar that turns out to be un-intuitively awesome when used appropriately.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dietrich posted:

A lovely familiar that turns out to be un-intuitively awesome when used appropriately.

Definitely this. Something that's deceptively appearing to be crappy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

poo poo I keep forgetting that Molly made it four months.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

That's not quite true, they can still lie, it just severely weakens them, which might not matter given how she's about to die anyways.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This update sheds a LOT of light on granny Thorburn.

Man, this thread needs a name change.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Maybe a new thread for Pact?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

The OP should probably be edited with that information, what with how many times that question has been asked. Also, I suggest the thread be renamed The Book Barn > Internet Serials: Wildbow Fanclub :v:

I'm still down for this :downs:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Tollymain posted:

I'm still down for this :downs:

Yeah, that works pretty well.

Shakugan posted:

She could have raised a protege (Paige in your example, if she was the "best" choice) who knew the truth from the beginning and would have been completely prepared for taking over. She could have told the entire family the truth and let them know the succession order and that they shouldn't actually want to be the inheritor. She also could have let them have normal family relationships and sprung the only one inheritor thing in her will.

Except that would violate the oath that she made when she was pissed off as a kid, so protégé is out. Honestly I think that this whole business with all the family duking it out was to help Granny solidify her choices, get a last feel for everyone's personality and character.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Fellwenner posted:

Yeah, that works pretty well.

Except that would violate the oath that she made when she was pissed off as a kid, so protégé is out. Honestly I think that this whole business with all the family duking it out was to help Granny solidify her choices, get a last feel for everyone's personality and character.

The magic world is a pretty backstabby place. Might as well get them used to it.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Are there any other serials in the same league as Worm?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

Are there any other serials in the same league as Worm?

General consensus is "No," but there are a few dissenting voices.

Unless you count Pact, of course, but that's just starting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same league? Probably not. There are other serials out there though, and I'd like it if we started searching out the good ones. The only one I'm currently solid on the quality of is Ra. I've been checking out some others, I just don't know about the quality yet.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've been enjoying Caelum Lex but their website is slow as poo poo to load which irritates me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wow, no wonder Grandma Rose was so messed-up. :catstare:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think I've read too much Wildbow at once. His/her writing tics are starting to annoy me. Overuse of the word 'copacetic'. Description of expressions which are described as 'strange' or 'curious' (I assume the look itself is curious rather than it being a look of curiousity). That doesn't describe what the expression looks like and doesn't tell me much.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Tollymain posted:

Same league? Probably not. There are other serials out there though, and I'd like it if we started searching out the good ones. The only one I'm currently solid on the quality of is Ra. I've been checking out some others, I just don't know about the quality yet.

Been reading this since you linked it. It has it's issues, but so far it's not bad. It seems to be what Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality wanted to be, a very logical, science based magic system.

It's a little wordy and I'd like a bit less explanation and a little more doing things, but I'm sure that'll settle down once it gets moving. Worth looking into thanks!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Man, it is rough not having Thursday updates. I'm considering throwing some cash Wildbow's way to expedite matters.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

Man, it is rough not having Thursday updates. I'm considering throwing some cash Wildbow's way to expedite matters.

I was thinking something similar this morning. I got spoiled by the end of Worm.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
I finally convinced a friend of mine to start reading Worm. He just finished Extinction and it is adorable.

My Friend posted:

[3:06:09 PM] Matthew: jesus christ this is a lot of dead people

And then later:

[3:36:27 PM] Matthew: Armsmaster has, presumably, made his final appearace
[3:36:40 PM] Matthew: He deserves the Birdcage

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Cryophage posted:

I finally convinced a friend of mine to start reading Worm. He just finished Extinction and it is adorable.

:allears:
I wish we could just get a constant stream of consciousness from people on their first read-through. It never gets old.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Up to 29.6. Can't stand Taylor anymore. No sense of humour, deluded as to her own flaws and virtues, want Scion to rip her in half.

Edit: seriously I had a 10 second think about why I found the interludes/bonus chapters so much better and it was pretty much because I didn't have a voice telling me:

* I'm an introvert
* I am best when I have time to plan
* I am best when I am forced to improvise (completely contradictory to above but never mind)
* I want the Simmurgh to follow me because I want to matter

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2014

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Semi-related to the thread, but some of my friends want me to GM a game for them set in the Worm-verse at some point. I'm kind of at a loss as to what system I could use, though. Any thoughts?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Might be a better question to put in the traditional games forum, but I hear Fate is a pretty good all-purpose system, relevant thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569741&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saith posted:

Semi-related to the thread, but some of my friends want me to GM a game for them set in the Worm-verse at some point. I'm kind of at a loss as to what system I could use, though. Any thoughts?

Mutants and Masterminds?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Saith posted:

I'd recommend FATE as well, or Wild Talents if you want something with more concrete mechanics.

What systems do you usually run/play?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Neurosis posted:

Up to 29.6. Can't stand Taylor anymore. No sense of humour, deluded as to her own flaws and virtues, want Scion to rip her in half.

Edit: seriously I had a 10 second think about why I found the interludes/bonus chapters so much better and it was pretty much because I didn't have a voice telling me:

* I'm an introvert
* I am best when I have time to plan
* I am best when I am forced to improvise (completely contradictory to above but never mind)
* I want the Simmurgh to follow me because I want to matter

Leave a comment somewhere, let Wildbow know your feedback. He'll be going through everything as he edits the chapters and that includes the comments.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just finished worm. That was one of the better things I've read. How long was it, because I read for almost a month straight before I finished it. It just kept building up. Like a constant Sanderson avalanche.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somewhere past 1.5 million words. I don't remember the exact count. Roughly in the neighborhood of a series of 23 average-length novels.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Saith posted:

I'm at the point where I'm trying to convince my friends to do this with me as GM. I cobbled together a relatively my own pretty simple system vaguely based on Warrior, Rogue and Mage. Mostly so I can just use normal dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pact update: man, Blake cannot catch a break. Wonder how his gambit could blow up in his face without cutting the story short?

• Locked thread