Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

That loving Sned posted:

It would need a new name too, maybe keeping the U but ditching the Wii part entirely. Wii and U are both appropriate names because of the 'we' and 'you' sounds, but make no sense when put together.

Given that it works with so many Wii interfaces and is backwards-compatible with Wii games, keeping the name Wii in there is not a problem.

"WiiU" isn't a name that gives people 'new iteration' the same way that as "Super Nintendo" or "Game Boy Advance" (and in retrospect I'm surprised people figured out the latter is a new platform and not a new form factor). All Sony did was stop using a Spider-Man movie font and make less pretentious commercials. Nintendo needs to, I don't know, begin calling it "Wii Ultra" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Who is this? I don't know if you noticed, but Zynga is doing terribly. Rovio succeeds by putting their games on literally anything and everything including Roku to Ouya and then making money on merchandising (Nintendo isn't going to do this). Where is this mobile behemoth, because aside from Candy Crush Saga I don't really hear many companies where people are spending lots of money on the games, and the game publisher is able to pay it's bills.
Google "Clash of Clans revenue" some time. They're generating millions per day.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Craptacular! posted:

Given that it works with so many Wii interfaces and is backwards-compatible with Wii games, keeping the name Wii in there is not a problem.

"WiiU" isn't a name that gives people 'new iteration' the same way that as "Super Nintendo" or "Game Boy Advance" (and in retrospect I'm surprised people figured out the latter is a new platform and not a new form factor). All Sony did was stop using a Spider-Man movie font and make less pretentious commercials. Nintendo needs to, I don't know, begin calling it "Wii Ultra" or something.

Wii One

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I still have no idea why Capcom, Square Enix, and now Nintendo think that smartphones and tablets are a city of gold still waiting to be discovered. That entire market is so imbalanced that anything could have been Angry Birds, and its success is not something you can specifically manufacture. It's like everyone trying to make the next Call of Duty, since they just look at the sales of the best selling game, and not the mountain of garbage it's standing on top of.

This hasn't been helped by the absolutely dreadful output from Capcom and Square Enix, both creating unappealing remakes of their SNES games like Mega Man X and Final Fantasy VI, and atrocious money-grubbing grindfests such as Mega Man X-Over and Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. These companies claim that their future is in mobile games, but they squander that by putting their best franchises into some of the worst games they've ever released.

I'd like to see Nintendo do anything but make mobile games. Even if they just axe the console division and only make 3DS games, that would be better than them trying to be the most successful developer on the app store.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Google "Clash of Clans revenue" some time. They're generating millions per day.

Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, Game of War, Puzzle & Dragons, and the Kabam games are ALL earning millions per day.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know why people say "Well at least Wii U will maybe sell as much as Gamecube." It's not going to. That is the point of the existential crisis Nintendo is having today. It won't come close to Gamecube numbers. This is a new terrible tier they'll have unearthed. It's forcing them to re-evaluate everything about their business.

The first step is pulling off of Wii U and focusing on 3DS to get profitable in 2014. They can't stop production of Wii U yet, but they're not going to sink heavy money into R&D on the next console this year, and that is the issue they have to work around this coming fiscal year. Which means that most of the boxes they ship out at THIS point will almost entirely have to be bundles of various kinds. Because they can't slash the price without enduring more loss. That's the simple part.

Nintendo will also have to evaluate what software will yield the highest returns and what software in development is a cost they can't take, so yes, fewer risks. It also probably means downsizing. Canning projects. Focusing only on the biggest titles that are going to sell the most. That's the painful part.

The elephant in the room is what they're going to do with the gamepad. Can the tech be approximated on other tablet devices? What is the extent of work required to patch existing games? Can they sell SKUs without Gamepads ALONGSIDE SKUs WITH Gamepads? Is the Gamepad so integral to this console that it is worth continuing to sell units as a loss? These are things they'll have to number crunch. And that's the very very challenging part, is making that decision. But it'll have to be made.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

These are things they'll have to number crunch. And that's the very very challenging part

Partly because I bet a lot of the number crunchers who handle forecasting are getting fired.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Warioware would be an absolutely incredible mobile game. I literally can't think of a better platform for it- it caters to ADD folk so hard.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

1. Ditch the tablet, roll out an SKU that's just the console and a conventional controller.
2. Slash prices on old first- and second-party games to "App Store" pricing.

As someone who's almost entirely lost touch with Nintendo and is not looking forward to buying a Wii U just to play Bayonetta 2 and 3D World/W101/Smash, this is a really appealing prospect. Nintendo is never going to exceed Gamecube market share this gen but I think there's a market for people that don't necessarily want their family playing the latest Call of Duty but feel bitten by motion/camera gimmicks last gen. I sure know a lot of people like that.

-Massively rebrand the console, launching with a new-look console, a completely new name, fresh OS/firmware, and with a pro controller. Drop all these new Fisher Price design sensibilities off the highest building in Kyoto.
-Offer the entire first/second party GB/GBA/NES/SNES/N64 library at app store prices and market it as the nostalgia box. There's a whole generation of relatively ignorant but 90s-nostalgic parents that would be looking to rekindle their memories of Nintendo and introduce their kids to that. Include every major Mario game on the console, have them hook the console up to the internet to unlock Mario Kart, and buy their favourite 90s-kid memory on the Virtual Console ("Hey I remember Bubsy!") to unlock Zelda or whatever. The core message needs to be a razor-sharp, itunes-like "Any classic game for $1.49".
-Launch with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 along with a remarketing of 3D World (because who was paying attention?) to be complimented by the nostalgia push - "We're bringing 90s gaming back and into the future"

Drop the touchscreen entirely and don't mention the Wii U in any way that could confuse the average consumer. It's a refresh, but current owners only miss out on future support for the touch pad, and Nintendo fans have been swallowing harder pills for over a decade now.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

That loving Sned posted:

They could release a GamePad-less SKU, and sell individual GamePads in case someone desperately wanted to play a game that required it, like ZombiU. Without it, they could at least position themselves as the budget, affordable, impulse-buy console, since the other two won't be getting price cuts for a while.

This would be a rebrand the console, like Sony did when they changed the PlayStation 3 to the PS3. This coincided with them releasing the Slim model, and was their way of conveying that it was no longer the $599 console with no games. They could have a big game like Mario Kart or Smash Bros to coincide with its release, and an ambassador program for anyone who owned the old Wii U. It would need a new name too, maybe keeping the U but ditching the Wii part entirely. Wii and U are both appropriate names because of the 'we' and 'you' sounds, but make no sense when put together.

Honestly, at this point, dropping the gamepad won't save them. It might be the best move they have, but if you drop the gamepad so you can drop the console to $199, you still really can't save it. Without the gamepad, even with a drop to $199, what you have is a box that's competing with PS3 and 360 while PS3 and 360 have much larger game libraries, the PS3 and 360 are still going to get cross-gen games that Wii U won't, PS3 and 360 have more good exclusive games, and both are priced the same as the Wii U. The gamepad is the only differentiator, even if that differentiator is something that no one really cares about.

It might be their best option for saving the console, but I don't think it can actually save the console. Nintendo's pretty much screwed on the Wii U.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
If they go all in on the budget console thing they might be able to scrape by until they get to the Ultra Wii or whatever. Maybe. Even if they still don't sell, at least they aren't wasting money manufacturing $100 gamepads nobody wants. The best they can hope for is to merely tread water while the reevaluate how they approach just about everything.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have a crazy idea.

Nintendo should work with Valve to be the killer app for the SteamBox/SteamOS. Hardware is already done, they could help tweak the controller, and lower powered boxes (ie just Intel/AMD procs with IGP) would suffice for a lot of the back catalog. Online is taken care of by a well entrenched and reliable system. They don't have to start a new console from scratch.

Sooo, let's do this Nintendo!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I know it is a trite thing to say, but I just think the U's biggest problem is games. I am willing to listen to the argument that hardware means gently caress all, but Nintendo hasn't even tried to make that argument. They've basically done nothing but make HD versions of poo poo they've already made. Why is the most compelling argument that the WiiU matters a loving year old game made by Ubisoft? Nintendo doesn't need another Wii Sports. They just need an Assassins Creed or Gta 3 or Brain Training or Mario 64 or loving annnnything that defines the Wii U as something other than an excuse to ask for more money for the same poo poo.

It's not really about system power or strength of brand or whatever, it's about being something new. That is what sells. You make something new and then you tell people they should want it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

thefncrow posted:

the PS3 and 360 are still going to get cross-gen games that Wii U won't

Don't know about this. Microsoft really wants the 360 dead and in the past as quickly as possible.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo is hosed. Whatever they'll do won't stopping them from losing money. Within two years they'll be bought by SEGA :toxx:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Where does this put the Wii U VC? I am still waiting for N64/GC games a year later.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

kater posted:

I know it is a trite thing to say, but I just think the U's biggest problem is games. I am willing to listen to the argument that hardware means gently caress all, but Nintendo hasn't even tried to make that argument. They've basically done nothing but make HD versions of poo poo they've already made. Why is the most compelling argument that the WiiU matters a loving year old game made by Ubisoft? Nintendo doesn't need another Wii Sports. They just need an Assassins Creed or Gta 3 or Brain Training or Mario 64 or loving annnnything that defines the Wii U as something other than an excuse to ask for more money for the same poo poo.

It's not really about system power or strength of brand or whatever, it's about being something new. That is what sells. You make something new and then you tell people they should want it.

The PS4 and XB1 are currently about as sequel heavy but are doing just fine. Sequelitis isn't that big a negative as long as the games are good.

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...

LOSS posted:

Nintendo is hosed. Whatever they'll do won't stopping them from losing money. Within two years they'll be bought by SEGA :toxx:

FYi... This isn't a toxx cause you didn't plan an action if you fail. This is so low chance I'd recommend that you lick your own poo poo. SAS goons will probably bail you out anyway, cause, c'mon man, don't lick poo poo.

Anyway, I bought a wii U cause I missed out on wii and saw a few games I thought I'd like. That and cause my wife and I make a poo poo ton of money so whatever. For me it was opening an entire back catalog of games I couldn't play. My complAint is the VC blows. I don't want to buy wii mode games. Just loving port them. I don't need hd chrono trigger.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I think the best thing they can do is just beef up the visual console, add GameCube games to it and all at a low price. It'd take a lot of work but it's probably the best way to hit those nostalgia buttons while keeping costs considerably lower than remaking old classics. Also give other companies more franchises to work with like they're doing with Dynasty Warriors.

Selling the WiiU without the gamepad seems like it wouldn't work. They can't patch their older games because that would be wasted time and cost and they can't really split it into two SKU's since you'd at least need to be able to 'easily' get a gamepad if you want to play the old games after all, and that means producing them anyway.

Just turn the machine into a more straightforward emulator/nostalgia machine and they might actually get through the generation.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

I think the best thing they can do is just beef up the visual console, add GameCube games to it and all at a low price. It'd take a lot of work but it's probably the best way to hit those nostalgia buttons while keeping costs considerably lower than remaking old classics. Also give other companies more franchises to work with like they're doing with Dynasty Warriors.

Selling the WiiU without the gamepad seems like it wouldn't work. They can't patch their older games because that would be wasted time and cost and they can't really split it into two SKU's since you'd at least need to be able to 'easily' get a gamepad if you want to play the old games after all, and that means producing them anyway.

Just turn the machine into a more straightforward emulator/nostalgia machine and they might actually get through the generation.

That's not working with the Vita. I love mine but mainly for ports/remakes of PS2 games and because all the PS1 games I bought are playable on it. And if you wanna go wild you can play PSP games which are also remakes/ports.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

Zynga is not the mobile market. Mobile IS putting a major dent into console sales.

Mobile gaming will make around $13-15 billion this year alone, and it's rapidly gaining every year. Most projections have mobile gaming passing console gaming revenues sometime over the next 3 years.

I don't really understand this. Every mobile game I've played was pretty tedious or shallow compared to traditional games. They all seemed like the kind of thing you play for 15 minutes on the bus, the touch controls have almost nil feedback and having to do all input on the display device seems really limiting in general. Is it just that there is a generation who is being raised on these things and doesn't know any better or are mobiles actually cannibalizing the gaming industry? I just don't really get that, there is nothing on my phone I want to play more than my 3DS and I can't think of any equivalent experiences to some of the great games on the latter. I guess many people just don't care? That 15 minutes of Infinity Blade or Candy Crush is enough to satisfy them?

I know mobile phones are even bigger in Japan so I sort of get that mentality there, particularly when living space is a premium and people use public transportation so much. I guess I feel like an old man at my 30s, I just don't see any mobile games that have me thinking "man guess I dont need a video game system anymore".

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's not working with the Vita. I love mine but mainly for ports/remakes of PS2 games and because all the PS1 games I bought are playable on it. And if you wanna go wild you can play PSP games which are also remakes/ports.

Well, I didn't say it'd make them successful. In fact, I doubt anything can at this point.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't really understand this. Every mobile game I've played was pretty tedious or shallow compared to traditional games. They all seemed like the kind of thing you play for 15 minutes on the bus, the touch controls have almost nil feedback and having to do all input on the display device seems really limiting in general. Is it just that there is a generation who is being raised on these things and doesn't know any better or are mobiles actually cannibalizing the gaming industry? I just don't really get that, there is nothing on my phone I want to play more than my 3DS and I can't think of any equivalent experiences to some of the great games on the latter. I guess many people just don't care? That 15 minutes of Infinity Blade or Candy Crush is enough to satisfy them?

I know mobile phones are even bigger in Japan so I sort of get that mentality there, particularly when living space is a premium and people use public transportation so much. I guess I feel like an old man at my 30s, I just don't see any mobile games that have me thinking "man guess I dont need a video game system anymore".

A lot of them target a market that hadn't really gamed at all. Candy Crush in particular is extremely popular with young to middle aged women.

Puzzle and dragon has 10% of the japanese populace under its grip, in particular because its really easy to pick up and play on your commute on something you bring with you anywhere anyways.

halokiller posted:

Price and accessibility are the key factors. But honestly, I don't expect Nintendo to put the same amount of time and effort to a smartphone game compared to a $30-40 3DS game. Square and Capcom are basically parroting the lines that mobile gaming is the future but all their efforts are just ports or half-assed cash grabs.
Something like 7/10 of the top grossing mobile market titles on iOS in Japan belong to SE. They are selling DQ8 for 30 bucks there and its selling.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 18, 2014

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Gunslinger posted:

Price and accessibility are the key factors. But honestly, I don't expect Nintendo to put the same amount of time and effort to a smartphone game compared to a $30-40 3DS game. Look at Square and Capcom, the champions of mobile gaming. Yet all their efforts are just ports or half-assed cash grabs.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 18, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The trouble with the idea of removing the Gamepad is that the console and its software are so intrinsically married to it.

Not only would it be necessary to patch every game (even the ones that don't require it will still need to be patched, due to how its presence is always assumed by all firmware and software), but the new SKU would still have to include the component that transmits the wireless video signal (for any users who buy a Gamepad optionally). It's not easy to make a clean break, unfortunately.

Switching gears, if Nintendo were to develop smartphone apps, they would largely have to be new titles. Investors and Michael "Always Wrong" Pachter seem to love the idea of dumping the NES and SNES catalogs onto iOS, but I don't have much confidence in porting button-centric games to a touch-only interface. The whole idea is rooted in the popular and incorrect assumption that touch is perfect for everything.

Even with that aside, it's a silly approach because it would radically alter their handheld/mobile approach (which they're not suffering drastic issues with) and do absolutely nothing about their console approach (which they are).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 18, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Things I would like to see: Nintendo launching the Virtual Console on Steam, in a similar manner to Sega's Mega Drive Classics. The odds of that ever happening are a knat's hair above zero, but still. It's nice to dream. :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Despite all of this bad news I still don't think Nintendo is going anywhere or will start making games for other platforms. I don't really have anything to base that on, I just don't see a major shakeup actually happening.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Delusibeta posted:

Things I would like to see: Nintendo launching the Virtual Console on Steam, in a similar manner to Sega's Mega Drive Classics. The odds of that ever happening are a knat's hair above zero, but still. It's nice to dream. :allears:

Bubble bursting time: They don't have the Internet platform necessary nor the expertise to make one.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Boiled Water posted:

Bubble bursting time: They don't have the Internet platform necessary nor the expertise to make one.

They can't even keep their eShop up and running properly, I've been failing to download the bravely default demo for the last couple hours. If Nintendo wants their online services to actually be taken seriously, a good first step would be to make them work reliably.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Craptacular! posted:

Don't know about this. Microsoft really wants the 360 dead and in the past as quickly as possible.

Since they've only had one console before the 360, you can't really assume a pattern from that. Also the original Xbox didn't have the market penetration of the 360. Cross gen games will keep happening for a while and probably not stop until mid-to-late 2015, after both new consoles have had another Christmas season.

But yeah, the old consoles will definitely get next-gen games that the Wii U won't. At the very least games like Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain and Destiny.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fivegears4reverse posted:

They can't even keep their eShop up and running properly, I've been failing to download the bravely default demo for the last couple hours. If Nintendo wants their online services to actually be taken seriously, a good first step would be to make them work reliably.

Friendly reminder that they have no idea how PSN or Xbox Live work. At all. Must be nice to be a Nintendo exec living in their bubble world.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

I have a crazy idea.

Nintendo should work with Valve to be the killer app for the SteamBox/SteamOS. Hardware is already done, they could help tweak the controller, and lower powered boxes (ie just Intel/AMD procs with IGP) would suffice for a lot of the back catalog. Online is taken care of by a well entrenched and reliable system. They don't have to start a new console from scratch.

Sooo, let's do this Nintendo!

Nintendo will never develop software for other platforms.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I imagine the punishment for a Nintendo employee to be caught with an xbone or ps4 must be quite severe for none of them to have it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Boiled Water posted:

He said "launching the Virtual Console ON Steam," not "making the Virtual Console LIKE Steam."

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Delusibeta posted:

Judging by the Steam survey results (Japanese language OS is 1% of all Steam users) they probably haven't heard of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

I imagine the punishment for a Nintendo employee to be caught with an xbone or ps4 must be quite severe for none of them to have it.

Sakurai has tweeted about his PS3 breaking. Iwata has also discussed his Sony systems, as has Reggie IIRC. They have them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wrong

And they almost made sure that the NES was never released because they got really close to screwing over Atari. It could have been a massive lawsuit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Suspicious Dish posted:

Because that is clearly working out for them right now. :colbert:

If Nintendo is going to be successful going forward, they are going to have to break tradition and innovate more than gimmicky controls and touch screens.

Otherwise, they need to look at the dumpster fire that Blackberry became, and how they are on their deathbed and no one cares anymore, even though they owned the market and had super loyal super fans just like Nintendo.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wrong

And they almost made sure that the NES was never released because they got really close to screwing over Atari. It could have been a massive lawsuit.

He sad will never, not has never. It was a very different time back then.

Nintendo will NOT develop games for other platforms, period, and people insinuating otherwise are dreaming and don't pay attention to Nintendo. The most you will see will be applications that open people up to Nintendo software or hardware (like Miiverse on mobile) but end result is if you want a genuine Nintendo experience, you'll have to buy their hardware.

They will not go third party, they will not make games for other platforms. As soon as they do, their homefield advantage is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

You really can't say this as if everything is business as usual. Nintendo hasn't been in a situation this dire before and I wouldn't put anything past them. They're going to have to do something drastic to keep their stockholders from jumping ship/braying for blood.

• Locked thread