Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since my peeps is here, how is Damages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The Dexter spinoff should've been about him dying while texting and driving, and then going to murderer heaven.

I like the way you dream. :)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

zoux posted:

It's good. The seasonal arcs get weaker as the show goes along, and the "flashback" narrative structure feels really forced after the second season, but the general quality stays high. I'm excited to see something else from the creators.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

It's good. The seasonal arcs get weaker as the show goes along, and the "flashback" narrative structure feels really forced after the second season, but the general quality stays high. I'm excited to see something else from the creators.

I will point out that I liked the resolution of the second season FAR more than most other people do, mainly because it's pretty easy for me to put things like "logic" aside.

What's never in dispute, though, is they rope in some amazing talent willing to chew the scenery like it was a fat piece of jerky. If nothing else you'll get a kick out of them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DivisionPost posted:

I will point out that I liked the resolution of the second season FAR more than most other people do, mainly because it's pretty easy for me to put things like "logic" aside.

What's never in dispute, though, is they rope in some amazing talent willing to chew the scenery like it was a fat piece of jerky. If nothing else you'll get a kick out of them.

Oh absolutely, the guest stars are very impressive. I generally hate watching Martin Short, but he was phenomenal on his season.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The Dexter spinoff should've been about him dying while texting and driving, and then going to murderer heaven.

Are you talking about Texter?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

So-so. Not worth it compared to all the other stuff out there, in my view.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
It's only 13 episodes though and seasons 1 and 2 are at least pretty good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Eagleheart Season 3 was incredible. I'm so glad that they went with an actual storyline this season. Chris Elliott is a mad genius.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Ridley Freaking Scott is Ridley Freaking Inconsistent. At this point he's had more painful misses in his career than good movies so I have no trouble believing that the pilot could be bad.

According to my calculations out of the 21 films he has directed so far, only 2 or 3 I would consider to not be good movies with the rest being good to excellent. He's one of the most consistent high-profile directors in terms of quality and career longevity out there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Ridley Freaking Scott is Ridley Freaking Inconsistent. At this point he's had more painful misses in his career than good movies so I have no trouble believing that the pilot could be bad.
He produces The Good Wife, so give him the venefit of the doubt.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

zoux posted:

Season One is easily in the top 3 seasons of TV I've watched ever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bown posted:

It was a lame unfunny episode but honestly wasn't racist at all.

Actually yeah, that's pretty loving obviously racist. There is no difference between that and blackface. None.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 17, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And we now have confirmation it isn't racist, so we can stop talking about it. Yay!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ufarn posted:

He produces The Good Wife, so give him the venefit of the doubt.
He also produced Numb3rs which, despite what my mathematician friend says, was a great show. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

zoux posted:

Decent. Rose Byrne is weirdly bad (considering she's been great in everything else I've seen her in). The reason to watch it is really the seasonal villains. The first season has Ted Danson (and actually he's got a lesser role in season 2 as well) Zeljko Ivanek and Peter Riegert, the second season has William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Clarke Peters, and John Doman. season 3 is probably peak Damages, and has Campbell Scott, Lily Tomlin, and Martin Short. season four has John Goodman and Dylan Baker (who is phenomenal, probably the best villain on the show other than Patty). Haven't seen season five.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Eagleheart Season 3 was incredible. I'm so glad that they went with an actual storyline this season. Chris Elliott is a mad genius.

The great thing about it is that if each "Part" was supposed to be a week then it really did come to about 15 years.

The payoff to all the earlier bits about the badge seeking bullets and "lag" were great too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm hip deep in season two and I'm loving that as well. Love how much they commit to their insanity.

Speaking of things I come to lately, Portlandia. Surprisingly great! Thought it'd rely on stupid hipster tropes, but its got some really funny/smart things to say.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually started the second season of Eagleheart tonight too. This show does being loving nuts way better than Childrens Hospital or NTSF. That episode with the bezoar, man. Can't wait to watch the whole season 3 arc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Season 3 is a hundred times more insane than season 1 or 2.

Edit: Sadly Brett Gelman has a reduced role.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good news for fans of Rick and Morty: according to an animator who's been posting in the thread it just got renewed.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

MrAristocrates posted:

Good news for fans of Rick and Morty: according to an animator who's been posting in the thread it just got renewed.

Yaaay! The television quota of sci-fi rigamarole will remain filled!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The only way the Dexter spin-off would be any good and not be Dexter Season 9: Sorry Guys But We're Back is if they literally did the entire trajectory of Dexter in reverse, so it begins with lumberjack Dexter being spit out of hurricane and washing up on shore in Miami.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Sober posted:

The only way the Dexter spin-off would be any good and not be Dexter Season 9: Sorry Guys But We're Back is if they literally did the entire trajectory of Dexter in reverse, so it begins with lumberjack Dexter being spit out of hurricane and washing up on shore in Miami.

I skipped the last two seasons, but if the "spinoff" was a prison season, I might watch it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I skipped the last two seasons, but if the "spinoff" was a prison season, I might watch it.

The show in no way led to, and in fact actively worked against, Dexter getting caught and going to prison. Anyone who had even the beginning of suspicions either died or drank their stupid juice and forgot.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Plus there was the whole part about him faking his death in a hurricane and going to Canada to be a lumberjack.

It's not going to be a prison season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently HBO's CEO doesn't really care if you share your HBOGo password with other people.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Wait, if Texter is a lumberjack now, does that mean the spinoff is just going to be about him murdering trees?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently HBO's CEO doesn't really care if you share your HBOGo password with other people.

Not like he could do anything about it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mu Zeta posted:

Not like he could do anything about it.

wat?

He could just limit the number of simultaneously active devices to three like netflix. Or even 1 if they wanted to be real dicks about it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

It's so easy to be surprised at this -- and I was -- but it makes sense if you think about it. A.) Your HBO GO login is your cable login, so if you're giving that up it's likely to someone you really trust. B.) Because you log in through your cable provider, there's nothing HBO could really do about it even if they wanted to. At the end of the day, a compromised cable login is really not their problem, especially since C.) A web hit is a web hit, regardless of where it's coming from. The more exposure their shows get, the better.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sober posted:

I've not watched Dexter since Season 2, but maybe they'll flip it around where he's using his skills as a forensic scientist in secret rather than his skills at killing. Something where there's a murder or a series of murders where he's living now and he's trying to piece together the whodunit without his previous unlimited police department resources to do the heavy lifting for him or exposing who he is or what he's doing.

Season finale is him finally figuring out the identity of the killer and he can't decide to feed evidence to the police to arrest them or kill them, himself.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I like my idea better.

Like, imagine the pilot of Dexter - complete with melodramatic voiceovers - except instead of killing a child molester or whatever, he kills a tree. That's good tv.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It should be 8 seasons of Dexter loudly reminiscing about his kills over the sound of chainsaws.

Dexter: "Whew! Look at that sap flow! It's like when I slit my brother's throat and drained his blood!"
Lumberjack #3: "What?!"
Dexter: "Nothing!"

Dexter: "Now cut it to pieces like I did my victims before dropping them in the ocean!"
Lumberjack #8: "What!?"

Dexter: "I'm a serial killer and I faked my death by sailing into a hurricane!"
Lumberjack #10: "What!?"

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack #11: Has anybody seen Lumberjacks 3, 8 and 10?
Dexter: Nothing!

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I'm binging Season 6 of Mad Men to get caught up for Season 7, and I just had a thought.

I don't find the "60s housewife" look attractive at all. Especially not Sylvia. Good god, the actress is in her late 30s, but that costume design adds 15 years.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

zoux posted:

First season is a classic. Second and third seasons are good. Fourth season is very good, the main problem is since the show moved to DirectTV, it looks noticeably cheaper/sparser. Fifth and final season was pretty bad.

The main problem with the show is that it had a "one big storyline per season" style, but then the first season had too much good stuff and was a bit open-ended so they awkwardly continued its storyline along with the new "season" storylines and so it got a little messy. The show was pretty much wrapped up by S3 finale, it got revived by DirecTV for a fourth season which ended up being really good since it was a new start, and then the final season was terrible because the "season" plot was mostly an afterthought and the production quality started to get pretty embarrassing.

It's a good binge-watch show. I think I saw the first season in one sitting.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 18, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What the hell. I'm a big fan of Damages and I had no clue there was a 5th season. I thought the production values were already poo poo in season 4 where "Afghanistan" looked like some dude's backyard.

e: Ugh, and it looks like it's some Julian Assange thing. Oh well, I'm glad to have another season to watch.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 18, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It didn't look great in S4 either but I don't know, S5 looked like a Canadian series from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's less that the pilot was bad and more just that the production was hosed. There were major behind the scenes issues so I just think that Showtime cut their losses. They'd have to find a new showrunner for a start and it's easy to see why they'd rather just not bother. I get the feeling the pilot was finished out of contractual obligation but it was probably never going to get picked up.

• Locked thread