Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For people in the technical field, if you aren't looking for a new job, do you bother to call cold-call recruiters back? Do they generally have specific jobs in mind, or are they just trying to get you added to their list?

For that matter, is it worth getting on their list, or do they just consider it a waste of time if you aren't looking?

I like my current job, and I currently work-at-home which I think would be hard to get in a new job... but I've seen enough people here laid off with no notice that I want to keep my options open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Short answer: no. They are almost always trying to fill a specific job and unless you can refer someone else to bring in, they don't have time for you. There are exceptional recruiters who do want to establish a relationship for future opportunities, but those are few and far between. If you're not actively job hunting, you'd be better served networking with other developers and managers in your field than recruiters.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Once you get further along in your career, you'll have more recruiters looking to keep in touch.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Since this thread seems more geared towards those in a technical/STEM field and/or those seeking Federal contracting positions, given the nature of Linkedin (for better or worse*):

I was thinking of reorganizing the OP a bit to add sections specific to various industries, populated from advice given in the thread as well as any future contributions. Thoughts?

**: Linkedin NOT being solely intended for those types of positions; more meaning that, to a person unfamiliar with Linkedin and not in one of the aforementioned fields, it will take a more substantial level of effort for the same payoff, all other things being equal.

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES
I'm currently living in Michigan, and a friend of mine with very similar experience (we even worked at two of the same companies) just got cold recruited by Apple thanks to LinkedIn. He got a great offer, and is moving out to California at the end of the month. As I'm growing a bit tried of Michigan, I think I'm going to attempt to follow suit and see if I can score a job in Silicon Valley. I'm going to be following the advice of this thread and pumping lots of effort into my LinkedIn profile! My goal is to get something by my birthday in July, as I'd rather be out of this state before I hit 30...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This is probably silly, but does anyone have an example of a really awesome LinkedIn profile? I think mine is still subpar (like my career options).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any sort of difference (in terms of likelihood of your profile/resume getting looked at, considered, or put in the Interview Pile) between applying for jobs on LinkedIn and applying for them using some other method?

EDIT: Another question. My profile Strength graphic says "Expert" with the bubble filled about 90% of the way. When I hover over it, it fills more and says "All-Star." What exactly does this mean? That my profile is currently at Expert and it's just telling me that if I fill out more poo poo it will be bumped to All-Star?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 5, 2014

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any sort of difference (in terms of likelihood of your profile/resume getting looked at, considered, or put in the Interview Pile) between applying for jobs on LinkedIn and applying for them using some other method?

Naturally, it depends. I've seen LinkedIn jobs getting slightly fewer applicants than other jobs boards do, so if your prospective company is only posting to LinkedIn, it's a good sign your application will actually get looked at. 1/100 instead of 1/1000. I think the main advantage is the relatively painless process, 1-click apply forms are quite nice. That said, they're double edged, as HR managers now can even more quickly scan you. I'd bet most look first at your current LinkedIn title, and determine if they even want to bother from there.

Personally, my experience has been that companies that hire through LinkedIn tend to be slightly smaller, nothing said large company like a gigantic ATS with its own registration system. So I like applying through there, but tend to use it for less than half of total applications.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DukAmok posted:

Naturally, it depends. I've seen LinkedIn jobs getting slightly fewer applicants than other jobs boards do, so if your prospective company is only posting to LinkedIn, it's a good sign your application will actually get looked at. 1/100 instead of 1/1000. I think the main advantage is the relatively painless process, 1-click apply forms are quite nice. That said, they're double edged, as HR managers now can even more quickly scan you. I'd bet most look first at your current LinkedIn title, and determine if they even want to bother from there.

Personally, my experience has been that companies that hire through LinkedIn tend to be slightly smaller, nothing said large company like a gigantic ATS with its own registration system. So I like applying through there, but tend to use it for less than half of total applications.

I know that Apple, Aruba, and Microsoft actively recruit off of LinkedIn. It depends heavily on what industry you're in and degree of control large companies give to their recruiters.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I applied to a job on LinkedIn yesterday - is it weird to connect with the recruiter?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DukAmok posted:

Thanks! This information is helpful, but I should have been more specific with my question: When there's a job ad posted on both LinkedIn and also on the company's website, do your chances differ with either method? I'm guessing there's too many factors in recruitment to get a straight answer, such as different teams being responsible for reviewing applicants from each medium, but intuitively I feel like sending a direct application would be better because it means more effort on the applicant's part.

Would that be a reasonable assumption?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shnooks posted:

I applied to a job on LinkedIn yesterday - is it weird to connect with the recruiter?

Should probably read the OP.

LinkedIn connections are not your friends. Use LinkedIn to promote yourself!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Should probably read the OP.

LinkedIn connections are not your friends. Use LinkedIn to promote yourself!

Re-read it, sorry about that. I went to go connect with them and I'm not sure what to pick for how I know them. I'll just wait then.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just pick "Friend." If you've joined enough relevant groups, that may also be an option you can use.

Recruiters accept just about anyone.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just pick "Friend." If you've joined enough relevant groups, that may also be an option you can use.

Recruiters accept just about anyone.

Cool, thanks. Lets hope I get this gig.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Fixed up my profile and already had a potential client contact me. Hurrah.

Edit: This client is getting me through the month...and led to me getting 3-4 more.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

LinkedIn connections are not your friends.

This... was a very confusing statement until I realized that you meant "friends" in the Facebook context.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks! This information is helpful, but I should have been more specific with my question: When there's a job ad posted on both LinkedIn and also on the company's website, do your chances differ with either method? I'm guessing there's too many factors in recruitment to get a straight answer, such as different teams being responsible for reviewing applicants from each medium, but intuitively I feel like sending a direct application would be better because it means more effort on the applicant's part.

Would that be a reasonable assumption?

I think you're reading too much into it. Your application is probably boiled down to an e-mail notification sitting in someone's task queue somewhere, I highly doubt they differentiate much. Personally I'd pick LinkedIn if it was posted in both places, but that's my judgment in my particular industry, I've seen it be more effective. No clue if that holds true across other industries as well. Also, couldn't really hurt to apply to both places.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Are there any goons on LinkedIn in the UK? Is it a thing here? As I come up to finishing my undergrad the whole job search thing is starting to weigh on my mind.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I haven't used LI in about 3 months, but when I got on today and decided to browse the people you might know feature it wanted me to start putting email addresses in, like I was some kind of spammer. It's not like I've been doing much lately, but even before I took a break I hadn't done a mass invite spree since I signed up about 18 most ago. What gives?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Erdricks posted:

I haven't used LI in about 3 months, but when I got on today and decided to browse the people you might know feature it wanted me to start putting email addresses in, like I was some kind of spammer. It's not like I've been doing much lately, but even before I took a break I hadn't done a mass invite spree since I signed up about 18 most ago. What gives?

LinkedIn has built-in protections against sending invitations to just anybody. If it's someone you connect with, it wants the person to be able to corroborate that you worked with them or to have some or other connection, like an email or another connection in common. LinkedIn is officially still against open networking, even though many people are circumventing this as a rule now.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I'm interested in joining Stairmasters. Do I have to message anyone first/use the I'm Protected phrase, or do something else?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a set period of time job listings sit around on LinkedIn? I applied for two positions and I'm nervous about them, haha.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Shnooks posted:

Is there a set period of time job listings sit around on LinkedIn? I applied for two positions and I'm nervous about them, haha.

They get posted, expire, and renewed all the time. I had saved (but not applied to) a few jobs that have since been re-posted at least once, while others would just expire and go away. If you save them, you should get a notification (that red flag) that they're about to expire in x days.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Trabant posted:

They get posted, expire, and renewed all the time. I had saved (but not applied to) a few jobs that have since been re-posted at least once, while others would just expire and go away. If you save them, you should get a notification (that red flag) that they're about to expire in x days.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Question about what to say when reaching out to people via linkedin for a job:

I’m looking to apply for 2 jobs at separate companies. Both have automated web forms which, in my experience, are a huge waste of my time. Luckily I’m a 2nd degree from the recruiter that listed the first job on linkedin. The second job isn’t listed on linkedin, but I’m a 2nd degree from one of the three people listed as working at said company in my area. The company seems small, so they might be involved in the recruitment process, but who knows.

How do I approach these two situations? Do I send a connection request to the recruiter and then follow up with a message saying I saw the listing and want to apply? For the second one, who isn’t a recruiter, should I just apply online and then send a message along the lines of “Hi, I recently applied to a position at your company and was wondering if you had a moment to talk about what its like to work for your awesome company?”

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Great thread. Can’t believe I didn’t find it until yesterday.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I know it's cool to add people you don't really know, I've done plenty of that, but is there anything weird about adding every single person you can find that is relevant at a new company? I'm likely over thinking this.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, so a recruiter with a company I want to work for has accepted my connection. Do I fire the first shot asking about jobs, or do I let him?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Whenever I get bored, I'll add a dozen or so recruiters in one go. They very rarely will reach out first. It's all a game of building connections. I have at least 250 connections I've never exchanged a single message with. Think of it less like friending someone and more like writing their name down in an address book.

You have to message them first.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, what's the best way to message. Like a shortened cover letter? Something like:

Hello [Person],

Thank you for accepting my connection request. I am very interested in opportunities at [company], and would like to talk with you more about working at [company]

Thanks,
Me

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

So, what's the best way to message. Like a shortened cover letter? Something like:

Hello [Person],

Thank you for accepting my connection request. I am very interested in opportunities at [company], and would like to talk with you more about working at [company]

Thanks,
Me

Maybe it's just me, but try to sound more like a human and less like a business letter copied off the third google result.

The correspondence I've had over LinkedIn is courteous and professional, but real. "Thanks" instead of "thank you", "really" instead of "very", and contractions—perfectly acceptable in my book.

Edit: Ending business correspondence with "thanks" (or equivalent) is a pet-peeve of mine, though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hi,

My name is KetTarma. I'm an aerospace engineering graduate that's interested in pursuing a career in engineering design. I'd love to talk to you some time about opportunities within your organization that I would be a good fit for.

Best regards,
KetTarma

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I've had my first recruiter reach out and try to recruit me for a position in my home town. The job was for the same position I have now, however, with a smaller(but still large) company. I ended up turning him down because I am now settled in my new town and I like my current job, plus I'm getting a 15% raise in March. I have about 2 1/2 years experience now and I'm wanting to get more, so that I'm more qualified for the more advanced higher paying position. My industry is fairly specialized and is in high demand at the moment.

I've never dealt with recruiters before, what point in the process do they usually clue you into the the salary range? I would not want to going through the process of everything when I'm happy where I'm at, however, if a job were to offer a larger salary it would be something I'd consider. Should I pass him my resume, keep building experience, and let him know what my salary requirements would be, or just keep this to myself and let me say what they are paying?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

From my experience with recruiters, if you end up talking on the phone with them they'll want to answer two questions as quickly as possible. The first being, are you remotely qualified to interview for this position, and the second being lining up the salary ranges you'd actually switch for vs. how much they expect the company to actually offer. The recruiter will try to get you to lower your salary range to seem more desirable, and particularly scummy ones will just take your number and reduce it behind your back anyway. The good news is they have no power to actually make you accept an interview or job offer besides guilt tripping you about how much 'effort' they put into it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

The Sock posted:

I've never dealt with recruiters before, what point in the process do they usually clue you into the the salary range? I would not want to going through the process of everything when I'm happy where I'm at, however, if a job were to offer a larger salary it would be something I'd consider. Should I pass him my resume, keep building experience, and let him know what my salary requirements would be, or just keep this to myself and let me say what they are paying?

It's in the employer's interest to delay telling you the salary as long as possible and to try to control the process. This gets you invested in the position and less likely to walk away if the offer is too low. Whereas it's in your interest to get it as soon as possible. So just go ahead and ask, right on the first contact.

Tell them that you aren't looking for work, that you love your current job, and you're in line for a raise/advancement in the near future. Basically, every reason you have to say no, but don't actually say no. Then say, "Just for comparison, what kind of salary would they be prepared to offer?"

At this point, they either have to tell you, or lose you altogether, so they're probably going to tell you. I suspect their instinct is going to be to pick a number at the higher end of the range they've been given.

I think if they're unwilling to give you a number they probably aren't working with; you'd be doing them big favor by going through the interview process without even knowing whether it's worth your time.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How am I supposed to follow up on a resume if I can't even contact the recruiter? I can't connect with her without her email address, I can't send InMail because I don't have premium, and I can't seem to find her email address online, even through the HR department via the company I applied to.

Are we not supposed to follow up on LinkedIn or something? This is ridiculous.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zero Gravitas posted:

Are there any goons on LinkedIn in the UK? Is it a thing here? As I come up to finishing my undergrad the whole job search thing is starting to weigh on my mind.

It's a big thing in Australia (where I'm from), it's a big thing in the UK (where I am now) and it's obviously loving huge in the US. I would guess it's huge throughout the anglo-sphere.

Blown away by the OP, guys, top work. I'm using it but of course I can rely on this comedy forum to give the most concise and fierce min-max collective knowledge on yet another corner of life.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shnooks posted:

How am I supposed to follow up on a resume if I can't even contact the recruiter? I can't connect with her without her email address, I can't send InMail because I don't have premium, and I can't seem to find her email address online, even through the HR department via the company I applied to.

Are we not supposed to follow up on LinkedIn or something? This is ridiculous.

Just choose the friend option when trying to connect with a recruiter. Chances are they'll accept.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
and the job offers have started :)

Great OP, doing exactly what it told me suddenly 10 people are viewing my profile a day and connections have gone through the roof. Thanks again, surprising how many people don't know the 'tricks' such as whoring groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

GreenCard78 posted:

I know it's cool to add people you don't really know, I've done plenty of that, but is there anything weird about adding every single person you can find that is relevant at a new company? I'm likely over thinking this.

I ignore, and mark as spam, people that do this.
I know lots of people are LION but I think that is really a dying concept.

Also, as a general FYI, I came to this thread to post a request; If you are interested in a company, please don't message/connect with people and attempt to "just have coffee" to "learn more about the industry/company".
Please have some loving tact and state a clear agenda and offer a reason why I should get up early to have coffee with you. Unless you are a hyper-connected VC I don't care about "putting me in touch with your network". If I had a job opening I would have posted it, assclowns.

I work 60+hrs a week and I have a young child and another on the way.
I don't have time to meet with every goddamn goober that thinks it would be "cool" to work at the company I work for.

I get about 2 of these requests a week from friend-of-a-friend type things.

• Locked thread