Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

At least, it was useful once some of its karmas were unlocked.

I think that, unfortunately, that's how most of the folks in this game work. Grind them up or they'll be pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

So you said you couldn't find much use for Peg Powler in the Undersea City and that you couldn't find anything particularly useful against Hobbledy, either. That's interesting because I actually found Peg Powler to be quite useful against Hobbledy, solving both your problems in one go! At least, it was useful once some of its karmas were unlocked.

Yep. I'll be discovering that while doing the Quest videos. Peg Powler completely tears Hobbledy apart, and since its first Karma is killing a bunch of Folks with it and there are more than ten Hobbledys at no more than four hits apiece... yeah, Peg Powler finds a pretty good niche. I'm just trying to keep the post-commentary in line with my actual thoughts at the time as much as possible so I can save revelations like that for the later videos when I actually discover them.

GrandHound posted:

I think that, unfortunately, that's how most of the folks in this game work. Grind them up or they'll be pretty mediocre.

At least, unlocking their Karmas tends to bring out whatever strengths they have to distinguish them from other Folks. Worthhog is still never going to be that great, but it becomes really powerful. I think even Impet and Browney come into their own by the end of this chapter, and I've already got far superior replacements for each. It's all down to what abilities they have when fully powered up, and it's a shame that there are so few possibilities. The mechanics of the game don't really support much in the way of new abilities, like the forms in Kameo for example. Ga-boi's final attack is more or less the extent of it.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That Miniboss fish looks like it ate a missile launcher or something! Looks like it will wreck though, definitely will be nice to have something with a rapid homing projectile.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

That Miniboss fish looks like it ate a missile launcher or something! Looks like it will wreck though, definitely will be nice to have something with a rapid homing projectile.

Sadly, it's not particularly rapid - it charges for power and is a bit too expensive to use too many times in a row, but it's very effective. It's half of the key to finally finishing the timed DLC quest - it was Kraken for Keats, and for Ellen, I think Dracae and Malabaricus break it wide open.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I sure did. I got a PS4 (not as a present - I walked into a store on Christmas Eve and they had one, so I bought it) and a few things for around the house that will contribute to my personal health and safety, so I can keep bringing you videos on a relatively regular schedule. As soon as I get them all unpacked and set up, anyway. Today's video is considerably longer than I usually like, but in this chapter, the quests divide pretty neatly into daytime and nighttime, and I stupidly added a bit of collection onto this very long video instead of the rather short Combat video that preceded it. Oh well. At least most of the action in this video is worth the time, because we've got Ellen's first really significant DLC quest, and it's deep. So deep it doesn't even fit into this chapter. The gimmick in this quest makes the "only use Brummbear and Maximillian" condition from Keats' DLC quest seem simple by comparison, and the story covers a lot of ground. I'd show you, but I think you'd probably best see it for yourselves, so instead, I'll leave you with the likely reason daytime quests are so rare:

Ellen Chapter 3 - Quests First Half: Youtube

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I ended up doing that first quest a couple of times, and it goes by which folk is dominant in the room. So the first room is the Hobbledy room, the room to the right of that room is the Dracae room (which you found well enough), to the left is the Asrai room, and the at the end is the Cu Sidhe room. Whichever folk the Faery mentions is the only one you need to clear for that part of the quest.

While the picture pages are a neat idea, most of them get kind of useless by the end since they have a tendency to show up only after you've already had to find your own way of dealing the folks in question. The Folklores themselves are the only times that the pictures are of any actual help. They're still neat to look at, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

While the picture pages are a neat idea, most of them get kind of useless by the end since they have a tendency to show up only after you've already had to find your own way of dealing the folks in question. The Folklores themselves are the only times that the pictures are of any actual help. They're still neat to look at, though.

I fully intend to collect them all for the purposes of the LP. I remember there being one in Chapter 4 that I had to look up in a FAQ, and it's a bit embarrassing that I managed to miss it. Then again, I found every Cloak without consulting a guide, which has to count for something. (Granted, I just stumbled across most of them in my aimless roamings rather than figuring out what triggered them to appear, so it probably doesn't count for much.)

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I know this is pulling something up from way back at the beginning of the LP, but there’s something that cool and defining about the Kilmoulis that was never mentioned; something I’ve read about in every interpretation of the creature except in this game. Do an image search for Kilmoulis and you’ll immediately see what I mean. As cool as this game is so far, I'm disappointed they dropped the ball on this.

Typically, the mouth of a Kilmoulis is tiny to nonexistent, but their noses are enormous. The only way they can eat is by inhaling food through their expansive nostrils. That’s why Kilmoulis favor mills, because they can only eat fare tiny enough not to clog up their nostrils… such grain, flour, and whatever else a mill would grind up nice and fine.

Weird folktale creatures are so awesome.

The Treant is a weird thing too, because I first heard the name in D&D to represent giant tree men, (like clones of Ents from Tolkien.) Sometimes I wonder how JRPGs get away with using the same names without copyright disputes, but then, maybe D&D is on shaky ground itself.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I guess it's time to finish up the quests for this chapter, and unfortunately, they're not particularly inspired. The story quest has an interesting idea, but in practice, it's pretty tedious, and the only DLC quest for nighttime is the one I've already failed at three times. I guess it could be interesting to see how well my new Folks will help me beat the timer, but otherwise, it's the first 2/3 or so of the video that will be of most interest to you. On the plus side, I get a new Rare Folk from one of the quests. The downside is that I don't really get an opportunity to use it until the grinding video. Speaking of which, that might be a bit late depending on when Rover's available, since the holidays have prevented us from recording it yet. If it is late, though, I'll use the extra time to get the Folklore video ready to go and try to post that a bit sooner so we can get to chapter 4. For now, let's enjoy the one good thing about this video:

Yes, that's a Malabaricus surrounded by Peg Powlers.

Ellen Chapter 3 - Quests Second Half: Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm sorry it took so long to get this video posted... and everything about it appears to have gone wrong every step of the way. From the two hours of tedious grinding (which I cut down to about half an hour for the final video) to finding a gap in Red Rover's schedule to do the recording, to the technical problems that plagued both the recording session itself and the subsequent editing, to Youtube not displaying the video in HD even after it's supposedly done processing, this has been a trainwreck from start to finish. If it's not in HD by tomorrow morning, I'll reupload and try it again - otherwise, I intend to post the Folklore video as soon in the weekend as I can and be done with this chapter. I hope this gets you sufficiently hyped for chapter 4, because I pretty much never want to see or think about this video again - which is a shame, because it's got giant fish, volcanoes, water hags, and what I can only describe as the masturbatory habits of corpses. Actually, I could describe it in other ways, but that's my favorite one.

Ellen Chapter 3 - Grinding Youtube

EDIT: It's in HD now - I guess it was just too big a video for Youtube to handle quickly. No idea why.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 18, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I appreciate the editing and cutting on this while still managing to communicate how much work it was. Those green quartz seem to be the worst in particular!

The Mandrake in particular was pretty interesting - it seems the idea with the dog was that you'd get the dog to die instead for you, which is pretty awful: (linked from wikipedia, credited to the Roman scholar Jospehus) ""A furrow must be dug around the root until its lower part is exposed, then a dog is tied to it, after which the person tying the dog must get away. The dog then endeavours to follow him, and so easily pulls up the root, but dies suddenly instead of his master. After this, the root can be handled without fear."

How well does Quesarilli do when you get it maxed? If you weren't going for a full on 'grind everything to full' type LP which would you have left undone and which would you have prioritized?

Looking forward to seeing the Folklore video and associated revelations!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
See, that's the thing I never understood about folklore. (Not Folklore) It's one thing if "Goblins will eat you if you enter the forest at night!", you can plainly see that someone wanders into forest, they don't come back, oh poo poo musta been goblins.

How in the name of gently caress do you get "Tie the dog to the root and it will die for you?" Somebody had to have tried that, right? Right? Life before the invention of the bullshit detector must have been a strange, wonderful, terrifying experience.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

How well does Quesarilli do when you get it maxed? If you weren't going for a full on 'grind everything to full' type LP which would you have left undone and which would you have prioritized?

I'm still not sure about grinding everything to full... every new chapter increases the amount of effort to reach that point, and there's probably going to be a point where I just say "screw it" and level the Folks I actually plan to use. When I first played the game, I made some concession to grinding the Folks that were naturally grindable, like the ones that required capturing multiple Ids and the items I happened to get from drops and crystals without having to seek them out, but I didn't go out of my way to look for ways to level Folks unless I really liked them. Quasarilli is particularly handy for both characters right now because it's a fast Earth attack for Keats (the other two that he has are about the same - slow and expensive) and a Wind attack for Ellen with some duration (where her only other option right now is Boobrie, which is a decent Folk but just hits once per use). The full effect of Quasarilli only comes when you've maxed out its combos, so those are the ones to go for if you know what they are ahead of time. Unfortunately, you don't find out what ability each Karma unlocks until you've unlocked it, unless you use a guide. There are a few that I know I need to build up, though, and several that I'll probably ignore if it gets to be too much hassle. I think Purple Dust will be a rarity, for example, so I'll probably skip finishing up Ellen's Ascidia and Browney and try to focus more on other Folks that need it, like Cu Sidhe. You may already notice me developing a couple of favorite Folks and letting Folks like Daru and Ambush sit in the wings. There will likely be more of that even as I try to vary my techniques as much as I can. It's just the nature of the game.

The Mandrake in particular was pretty interesting - it seems the idea with the dog was that you'd get the dog to die instead for you, which is pretty awful: (linked from wikipedia, credited to the Roman scholar Jospehus) ""A furrow must be dug around the root until its lower part is exposed, then a dog is tied to it, after which the person tying the dog must get away. The dog then endeavours to follow him, and so easily pulls up the root, but dies suddenly instead of his master. After this, the root can be handled without fear."

Captain Bravo posted:

How in the name of gently caress do you get "Tie the dog to the root and it will die for you?" Somebody had to have tried that, right? Right? Life before the invention of the bullshit detector must have been a strange, wonderful, terrifying experience.

Medicine and alchemy were strange subjects hundreds of years ago - with belief in spirits and magic and little notion of applying any sort of scientific method, people could say just about anything and their less-informed peers would believe it. Remember, this is the same line of thinking that brought us homeopathy, and there are people who still believe that today. If sperm dripped from corpses, then of course it would impregnate the ground and make plants grow. Plants sprung from dead souls would naturally be horrific, twisted entities that would kill anyone who tried to pull them - that's what dead beings that still live do, isn't it? And so it would only make sense that to pull one successfully, one would need to be out of earshot. The dog trick is actually pretty clever once you have all the facts at your disposal. Naturally, I don't think anyone ever tried it because I doubt anyone ever saw an actual mandrake plant. That just means that nobody can prove that it DOESN'T work exactly the way it's claimed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No, dude, Mandrakes are actually a thing. They don't scream, and they're not nearly as detailed as old illustrations make them out to be, but the root is a real thing, and has been used in all kinds of quack medicines all over the world.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

No, dude, Mandrakes are actually a thing. They don't scream, and they're not nearly as detailed as old illustrations make them out to be, but the root is a real thing, and has been used in all kinds of quack medicines all over the world.

Fair enough. What I meant was that I doubt anyone's actually encountered an actual screaming mandrake plant or died attempting to uproot one, in any fashion. Maybe the stories then sprang from a desire to prevent competition - by convincing people that pulling a mandrake could kill them, it would likely scare away anyone else who would make medicine from the plant, and the added mysticism would help people believe that the medicines were effective.

In any case, it's time to put Chapter 3 to rest once and for all and move on to Chapter 4! The Brigantia fight doesn't go as smoothly for Ellen as it did for Keats because of the reduced selection of Folks for the relevant element. The advantage to nearly every Folk in Keats' Chapter 3 being Ice element was that he had plenty to choose from, and Kraken was particularly effective. Ellen needs to use Thunder, and there are only two Folks of that element available, neither of which is really suited for this fight. Ellen does have three times the Slash options, but only one has the vertical range needed for the job. At least they both have Gargantua.

Ellen Chapter 3 - Folklore Youtube

And with that, VOTING IS OPEN, and this time, it's a proper contest. Who will delve into the contradictions and bring us closer to the truth? I figure if either character has an overwhelming lead by midday-ish Monday, I'll end the vote early and take that time to start recording Chapter 4. Otherwise, it may be a few weeks before I can work on that, so there will likely be a short break. This is probably as good a time as any for it.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 18, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Let's go with KEATS

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
I will vote for KEATS

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Cool, Chapter Four. I think that was actually my favorite realm, though it was a bit confusing at first.

Also, you've probably hear of a Cu Sidhe-like creature without realizing it. The Black Shuck (an English variation on Cu Sidhe) was the inspiration for the Sherlock Holmes novel The Hound of the Baskervilles.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
There are lots of really ridiculous accounts of animals and plants from roman/greek and medieval authors, so the Mandragora/Mandrake isn't too weird in context! Some examples include:
The Echeneis (actually a remora), a fish that sticks to the bottom of a ship and holds it in place ,
The Beaver, who castrates itself to dissuade hunters because of its valuable glands, which yielded castoreum (which was later replaced by castor oil, which is so named because of the substitution)
The Bonnacon, a bull that shoots flaming dung.

Also, I vote for ELLEN this time! Lets get more of the plot first and have Keats fill it in.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

What are these creatures you're linking me to? Everyone knows there's no such thing as beavers.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I'm going to throw my vote in for Ellen.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Keats should scout out the new realm for Ellen.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I think Keats should check out the next realm first.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I think Ellen should go first, seeing as Keats first made the route split really weird. Don't know if that'll happen again, but it does seem that Ellen is the one intended - at least for a first playthrough.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Nidoking posted:

What are these creatures you're linking me to? Everyone knows there's no such thing as beavers.

Now that's just a dam lie.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Ellen continues her remorseless drive to uncover the truth of her past!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Keats continues his remorseless drive to uncover the truth of Ellen's past!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ellen goes forth in search of yet another new outfit to protect her against a bizarre yet convenient combination of status effects/elements!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Ellen goes forth in search of yet another new outfit to protect her against a bizarre yet convenient combination of status effects/elements!

I don't remember the next Cloak being all that practical, but I like the way it looks - it's a rather different design from all the other Cloaks, so I don't mind as much that there's no alternate skin for it. It also begins the theme of the final three Cloaks - not in terms of the abilities they provide, but the Cloaks themselves are sort of thematically linked, if I remember correctly.

But by my count, we're all tied up after about 24 hours.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
We need Keats to dig deeper and find the truth behind all of this.

marlinspike
Aug 7, 2010
i vote for keats

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Ellen for Plot. Wait for Keats.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

I'm torn, but I guess my vote goes to Keats.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I played through Folklore a few years ago, but I don't recall much. It's been fun taking in the story in a different order, so let's go Keats.

I can tell you how the Brigantia fight goes when you don't grind, and don't realize you can use any folk of the appropriate element: slooooowly. I don't think I died more than once or twice, but it took ages to ever actually hit the stupid fish.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I somehow missed the two previous updates, but caught up just in time for voting. I kinda want to see Ellen first to be honest, but Keats is winning and I'd rather have another update sooner because this story has to start answering questions sometime.

I know it won't do more than tease us until the final chapter, but it is the principle of the thing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, if people are already gaming the system, and even reversing the reluctant vote, Keats still has what in this field appears to be a commanding two-vote lead, I guess I might as well call it now. Voting is over, and we'll be exploring Chapter 4 as Keats first. It might make more sense that way, since the only lead I remember having right now is Harriet, and I think she opened up significantly more to Keats. However, I seem to recall from my past playthrough that this chapter focuses on someone else, so... we'll see! Actually, I'll see today, and the rest of you will see in a few weeks.

EDIT: Dang... Chapter 4 is pretty messed up, you guys. In the good "this is really weird and discomfiting" way, not the bad "there's something wrong with the game and I can't play it" way. I'm converting the raw files for the first three parts now, and this is going to take some editing, but I'm looking forward to it.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh boy!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Nidoking posted:

EDIT: Dang... Chapter 4 is pretty messed up, you guys. In the good "this is really weird and discomfiting" way, not the bad "there's something wrong with the game and I can't play it" way. I'm converting the raw files for the first three parts now, and this is going to take some editing, but I'm looking forward to it.

Oh good, I was hoping we'd get to some more twisted takes on the Netherworld - since we've already been through idyllic, combative and sorrowful sorts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Herve was cheered up and resolved to live, then... wound up dying anyway and figured he'd better just pass on? Did he forget what happened to him in life, or was that not his voice on the tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

So Herve was cheered up and resolved to live, then... wound up dying anyway and figured he'd better just pass on? Did he forget what happened to him in life, or was that not his voice on the tape?

Well, we still don't really know the exact circumstances of his death, so the answer to that may lie in what we have yet to learn. But from the information we have, I think his original intention was to make Dr. Lester forget about the events of 17 years ago so that he could move on and get back to helping people. When Dr. Lester stopped him, he realized that the memories everyone has of him are precious and decided not to go through with it. He says that he feels the same way now as he did when he recorded the message, but perhaps that's not how he's been feeling all along.

• Locked thread