Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Party Plane Jones posted:

Looks like NexusMods changed their website layout without having redirects.
For example:
http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/272 (Comfy Couch from the OP) became http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/272/

Most of the mods in the OP(s) are outdated.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll do some updating tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm currently playing with focus on the swordmastery path and I was wondering what kind of runes I should focus on for the steel and silver swords? It appears that Incineration doesn't do much against monsters but is more effective agains humans. Does this apply to all effects or do monsters have weakness for the bleeding status or something else?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Roach vs Iorveth is easy. Iorveth's path is just so much more interesting. I still cant decide what to do with Cynthia though.

On one hand the next game is literally called The Wild Hunt and has to do a lot with Nilfgard. Cynthia is a high ranking Nilfgardian agent who is an expert on the Wild Hunt, and is infatuated enough with Geralt, to betray her country by letting him use the megascope, killing her fellow agent and lying in her reports(which is punishable by horrific death.) So she could easily be a super useful source of information and help in the next game. But on the other hand she got Triss tortured.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm currently playing with focus on the swordmastery path and I was wondering what kind of runes I should focus on for the steel and silver swords? It appears that Incineration doesn't do much against monsters but is more effective agains humans. Does this apply to all effects or do monsters have weakness for the bleeding status or something else?

Blocking isn't very effective so I'd recommend just not bothering with earth runes unless you're having a lot of trouble and really need the extra HP. as for fire vs ysgith. I put at least one on each sword to get the fire and the bleeding effects. Then I usually just go for pure damage with ysgith. The only exception is I like to have pure fire runes on my silver sword for act 3 because of the dragon. the extra fire resistance is great. It depends on the monsters as for how effective effects are, like fire is good for drowners and harpies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Roach vs Iorveth is easy. Iorveth's path is just so much more interesting. I still cant decide what to do with Cynthia though.

On one hand the next game is literally called The Wild Hunt and has to do a lot with Nilfgard. Cynthia is a high ranking Nilfgardian agent who is an expert on the Wild Hunt, and is infatuated enough with Geralt, to betray her country by letting him use the megascope, killing her fellow agent and lying in her reports(which is punishable by horrific death.) So she could easily be a super useful source of information and help in the next game. But on the other hand she got Triss tortured.

Blocking isn't very effective so I'd recommend just not bothering with earth runes unless you're having a lot of trouble and really need the extra HP. as for fire vs ysgith. I put at least one on each sword to get the fire and the bleeding effects. Then I usually just go for pure damage with ysgith. The only exception is I like to have pure fire runes on my silver sword for act 3 because of the dragon. the extra fire resistance is great. It depends on the monsters as for how effective effects are, like fire is good for drowners and harpies.

I killed her because

The information she is after could be really, REALLY bad news in the hands of the Emperor.

The last thing we need is Nilfgaard with the capacity to engineer a magical plague to wipe out undesireable lesser races

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Cynthia:

I still think it's hilarious that you can have sex with her. While one of your closest friends is being held captive in the very city that you're in, you can sleep with her captor. It's so assholish.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm pretty sure that humans are vulnerable to all status effects, whereas each type of monster is vulnerable to some and immune to others. The monster info in the Knowledge tab can give you hints about that. Like harpies are vulnerable to fire and nekkers are vulnerable to bleeding, etc.

Sun runes are literally worthless, I don't know why they're even in the game.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 15, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I killed her because

The information she is after could be really, REALLY bad news in the hands of the Emperor.

The last thing we need is Nilfgaard with the capacity to engineer a magical plague to wipe out undesireable lesser races

Nilfgaard with a bioweapon in still better than nobody with the bioweapon when the Wild Hunt finds a way to show up with their whole army.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, a quick question because I don't want to spoil myself by reading a walkthrough: Iorveth's path spoiler:So, am I understanding this correct, do I basically have to choose between murdering a bunch of Niilfgardians and freeing Triss or free Philippa from the dungeon and break the mindcontrol on Saskia?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, a quick question because I don't want to spoil myself by reading a walkthrough...

Not quite: if you choose the second option, another character will rescue Triss for you.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

Not quite: if you choose the second option, another character will rescue Triss for you.
I see, it's still a hard choice for me since on one hand I get to piss on Philippa's plans but on the other hand I get to stomp on the Nilfgardian ambassadors ambitions. deciscions, deciscions..

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

and is infatuated enough with Geralt,

Yeah given what she did with Philippa, I'm not buying the "I'm just helping you because I like you." thing.

Lycus posted:

I still think it's hilarious that you can have sex with her. While one of your closest friends is being held captive in the very city that you're in, you can sleep with her captor. It's so assholish.

Really, the game lets you be a tremendous rear end in a top hat to Triss the entire time if you think about it. If you wanted to consistently take certain choices you could make it a hilariously dysfunctional relationship where Geralt is clearly just using her for sex but Triss is too emotionally codependent on Geralt to do anything but take the constant abuse, neglect, and infidelity.

So sorta like how Yennefer treats Geralt in the first two books, really.

Kopijeger posted:

Way to ruin the suspense. That was actually a really hard decision for me the first time I played. That said, even then, not saving her has other horrible consequences that you wouldn't necessarily have seen coming.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Basically, there are no mega-happy endings in the Witcher 2. You can't help everyone.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you help Triss, her amazement at Geralt's fighting skills is superb.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah that was pretty awesome. Even she was a bit disconcerted that Geralt murdered the ENTIRE Nilfgaardian delegation to Loc Muinne. Also if you don't help her she seems pretty traumatized by all the poo poo that happens in the end, which made me feel bad.

And I have to give props to CD Projekt for making me feel any sense of danger or urgency like that in the first place. It had been a long time since a video game did that to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I had pretty much no attachment to Triss whatsoever, to me she was the least likable member of Geralt's circle of friends, so I was more than happy to ignore her in the name of the bigger picture. :shobon:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did you play the first game and/or read the books? That might make some difference.

Or it's just one of those weird things where people have opinions or something, I dunno.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've read most of one of the books, and Triss wasn't in it, so it didn't affect my opinion on her either way. But when I played the first game I didn't like her, and that carried over to the second game.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is Witcher 2 enough reason to buy an 360? My PC sucks and a 360 is just 100 euroes.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Is Witcher 1 with the combat mod tolerable? I couldn't stand the combat system of TW1. It felt so fake.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nf3 posted:

Is Witcher 1 with the combat mod tolerable? I couldn't stand the combat system of TW1. It felt so fake.

Well it's definitely much much harder. I ended up using the flash mod (the combat mod before the combat mod) and set it on easy/normal. I forget. That along with a couple quality of life things made the game passable. I got the point where I was just spamming a super agni aoe for all of the combat though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Wasn't there a scene early in Witcher 1 where you overhear the end of a hush-hush conversation between Triss and Philippa, so you have this constant impression that Triss might be lying to you about something important and is taking advantage of your amnesiac state? So I can see not liking her in Witcher 1.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Lycus posted:

Wasn't there a scene early in Witcher 1 where you overhear the end of a hush-hush conversation between Triss and Philippa, so you have this constant impression that Triss might be lying to you about something important and is taking advantage of your amnesiac state? So I can see not liking her in Witcher 1.

We also know from the books that when it came to the Lodge, Triss (in the end) always deferred to Philippa and it was only Yennefer that was willing to directly defy the Lodge.

Honestly, after having read the books, it's a little harder to warm to Triss in the games, as she definitely knows the entire score.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

Yeah. Plus she's a tiny bit out of character in TW1 compared to in TW2. Still. At the time I figured she had prior oligations so...

Leb posted:

Honestly, after having read the books, it's a little harder to warm to Triss in the games, as she definitely knows the entire score.

To be fair Letho unfortunately abducts her more or less exactly when she's sure enough about what's happening that she decides to do something about it.. And she makes it pretty clear earlier (unless you assume she's lying about everything) where her loyalties ultimately lay.

Of course that also leads to her shamelessly taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia for entirely personal reasons in a kind of scummy way. Guess I was just so used to how horribly flawed most of the characters were that it just made it feel like she fit in with the rest of the cast, rather than making me angry or paranoid.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Witcher 2 enough reason to buy an 360? My PC sucks and a 360 is just 100 euroes.

It is, but I'd just hold out until you can get a better PC. That would also let you play TW3, and import a save.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah. Plus she's a tiny bit out of character in TW1 compared to in TW2. Still. At the time I figured she had prior oligations so...

To be fair Letho unfortunately abducts her more or less exactly when she's sure enough about what's happening that she decides to do something about it.. And she makes it pretty clear earlier (unless you assume she's lying about everything) where her loyalties ultimately lay.

Of course that also leads to her shamelessly taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia for entirely personal reasons in a kind of scummy way. Guess I was just so used to how horribly flawed most of the characters were that it just made it feel like she fit in with the rest of the cast, rather than making me angry or paranoid.

I'm actually rather curious as to how Triss is going to play it once Yennefer comes back into the picture. Pre-amnesia, I'm quite certain Triss would never dream of going against Yennefer, whether out of friendship, loyalty or just common good sense, but after the events of the past 5 years, coupled with Yennefer's amnesia, I'm not quite sure...

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Guess Im one of the few people that genuinely liked Triss :shrug:

Lycus posted:

Beginning of Act3 shes talking to some sorceress in her mirror though it may not have necessarily been Philippa. I think it was more the Lodge was using the whole salamander situation to get better influence in Foltest's court.

Riso posted:

If you help Triss, her amazement at Geralt's fighting skills is superb.

I think my favorite bit about saving Triss on Roche's path is that it implied that Roche took out most of the Kaedwin delegation by himself as well.

Edit: So Radovid has to feature prominently in Witcher 3 right? Cause I mean no matter what happens in the endings he makes out like a bandit

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 19, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

SpRahl posted:

Beginning of Act3 shes talking to some sorceress in her mirror though it may not have necessarily been Philippa. I think it was more the Lodge was using the whole salamander situation to get better influence in Foltest's court.
Of yeah, as the player I eventually figured that they were just talking about the Lodge's plans for acquiring power in Temeria, without any harmful intentions toward Geralt. But from Geralt's perspective, it could sound like Triss was doing something behind his back.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpRahl posted:

Guess Im one of the few people that genuinely liked Triss :shrug:
I liked her. She doesn't seem tremendously popular though. Guess people don't like it when people have secret agendas aside from the main character.

SpRahl posted:

Edit: So Radovid has to feature prominently in Witcher 3 right? Cause I mean no matter what happens in the endings he makes out like a bandit
Oh yeah, I think this is a given. A decent bit of Redaynia is in the game world, as well as one of its most important cities.

Lycus posted:

Of yeah, as the player I eventually figured that they were just talking about the Lodge's plans for acquiring power in Temeria, without any harmful intentions toward Geralt. But from Geralt's perspective, it could sound like Triss was doing something behind his back.
She does seem to deliberately try to leave Geralt with the impression that they were lovers pre-amnesia. Or at least allows him to come to that conclusion and doesn't deny it. That wasn't for the Lodge, though.

I'll be very interested in seeing Yennefer in the next game, no matter what state her memory is in. There's no way that can't play out in an interesting way.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

I liked her. She doesn't seem tremendously popular though. Guess people don't like it when people have secret agendas aside from the main character.

I liked her as a character as well. If she didn't have a secret agenda and was just Geralt's sex toy she wouldn't have been interesting at all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ice Fist posted:

I liked her as a character as well. If she didn't have a secret agenda and was just Geralt's sex toy she wouldn't have been interesting at all.

For me the problem with Triss wasn't so much her character, but her voice acting always came off as kind of flat/monotone or almost sarcastic-sounding even when she was being sincere. I liked her as a character, but sometimes it would really grate just to hear her speaking and I could see how that might put some people off her altogether.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I found her voice acting greatly improved in the second game, myself.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I found her voice acting greatly improved in the second game, myself.

I haven't played Witcher 1, so I didn't have that to compare it to. I just found her acting a little flat at times personally. Still better than some of the others though!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I agree. Just taking Witcher 2 into account, I think Triss's voice actress was noticably the worst of the main characters. A friend of mine played through the prologue at my house, and even he commented on it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Lycus posted:

I agree. Just taking Witcher 2 into account, I think Triss's voice actress was noticably the worst of the main characters. A friend of mine played through the prologue at my house, and even he commented on it.

Well, except maybe Dandelion. And it isn't even exactly that he's a bad voice actor, but man did his Floridian accent sound wildly out of place in the northern kingdoms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lycus posted:

Yeah it wasn't just the tone thing, the delivery was always a little stilted too. Like she'd pause in the weirdest spots in a sentence and it just sounded odd in comparison to most of the other voices. Apparently she's a British actress, so maybe all of this was a side-effect of trying to tone down her accent.

I agree about Dandelion too. The guy has a great voice, but his accent sounds really out of place.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 19, 2014

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Hi, just curious what you mean by "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" It always confuses me when I'm browsing games.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Hi, just curious what you mean by "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" It always confuses me when I'm browsing games.

It's a play on the '-er? I barely knew her!' jokes -- in this case, Geralt has amnesia resulting from his exposure to the Wild Hunt and so when it comes to Yennefer, he really does barely know her.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Big spoilers in this question: What are the conditions to kill Dethmold? Is it choosing the option to not save Triss like I imagine?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Konsek posted:

Big spoilers in this question: What are the conditions to kill Dethmold? Is it choosing the option to not save Triss like I imagine?

Yes.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?
Just a quick question: I have started this game way too many times but never gotten super far. How important is it to play through the first couple areas when Geralt is being questioned? I know there is a kill/not kill choice in there but is it super influential on the game at large?
IIRC the player can skip these events, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lycus posted:

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I find that the game sounds best with the original Polish voices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSjB1IXErZY

• Locked thread