Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Okay, I've got to know, what's the story behind this? I grew up watching in that era, and somehow managed to miss this entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Minidust posted:

I was just thinking about how uniquely over the Hardy Boyz were (specifically, before Jeff was in the WWE title scene). They generally weren't involved in the top storylines, they weren't enormous merchandise movers as far as I know, but man - they had a segment of the audience that absolutely LOVED them. Like, every backyard garbage wrestler kid ever wanted to be the Hardy Boyz. I can't think of any other midcard acts that had similar appeal. Maybe DX, when they were in their Spring/Summer '98 card position?

People talk about who could be the next Rock or Austin, but is anyone in the running for the "Hardy spot" these days?
Well wouldn't they be idolized by those kind of people because that's how the Hardy's started getting into wrestling by being a bunch of backyard wrestlers?

Also how overrated are the Dudley's in terms of being promos?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Depends. Are you judging promos by ability to make everyone in the crowd want to kill you? They were really good at that.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

BlueArmyMan posted:

Okay, I've got to know, what's the story behind this? I grew up watching in that era, and somehow managed to miss this entirely.

They were trying to cover up Hogan going bald. They quickly dropped it because it looks so goofy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

Thanks. What's the best Gorgeous George match easily available?
Well, this one is full of hijinx and has a Daniel Bryan worthy finish.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Minidust posted:

I was just thinking about how uniquely over the Hardy Boyz were (specifically, before Jeff was in the WWE title scene). They generally weren't involved in the top storylines, they weren't enormous merchandise movers as far as I know, but man - they had a segment of the audience that absolutely LOVED them. Like, every backyard garbage wrestler kid ever wanted to be the Hardy Boyz. I can't think of any other midcard acts that had similar appeal. Maybe DX, when they were in their Spring/Summer '98 card position?

People talk about who could be the next Rock or Austin, but is anyone in the running for the "Hardy spot" these days?

Not quite what you were asking, but I remember hearing that at some point in the post-Attitude years The Hurricane was basically a jobber but he moved enough merchandise that he ended up being paid like an upper midcard level guy due to being really popular with kids.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but what was the buyrate on TLC?

I don't believe it's been put out yet. it often takes more than a month for WWE to put the buyrate out there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Minidust posted:

Do you just mean wrestlers who had a cult following? I think more recently that's the "internet darling" spot. Pre-main event Punk and Bryan, anyone from NXT who was big in the indies, etc.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

BlueArmyMan posted:

I've never seen this before either. So he wrestled whole matches with this thing on? Anyone got a link to a video?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

They were trying to cover up Hogan going bald. They quickly dropped it because it looks so goofy

You've got to be loving kidding me. They thought a giant fist helmet was better than a bandana or a hat?

EDIT: Considering the sex tape, recent court ruling and fanfics, it was a big mistake to type "Hulk Hogan fist" into Google.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 18, 2014

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I'm having a retro kick and wondered if anyone would indulge me with a spot of retrospective fantasy booking. Sorry if it's not the done thing.

Anyway, I'm still watching every Raw of 1997 and enjoying it, but I know what the climax will be in Montreal. I was wondering if anyone out there had any opinion on how the whole thing, Bret, Shawn, Austin, Taker, HHH etc, could have reached a more appropriate conclusion by the start of the Attitude era in early 1998? In a perfect world, would you have Bret dropping the World Title to Austin at Wrestlemania 14 instead of Michaels? He alludes to this in his autobiography as his preferred method of ending his career with the WWF. However, with no screwjob you don't get a Mr Mahon character, would this have affected the genesis of the Attitude Era as a whole?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Assuming Bret still left for WCW, he should have dropped the title to Shawn with no screwjob and then Shawn would lose it at Wrestlemania just as planned. I don't know if the WWF would still be around today without the Austin/McMahon angle though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

britishbornandbread posted:

Anyway, I'm still watching every Raw of 1997 and enjoying it

Out of curiosity, where are you watching them? I'd like to watch some older wrestling that isn't just PPV or single matches, but I've been unable to find anything further back than, like, early 2013.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
By the time of Montreal, Austin was going to be huge no matter what and Vince was already transitioning to an on screen owner type character, and the Austin/Tyson stuff (and even a little later the Austin/Undertaker stuff) was more important than Vince himself to Austin in 1998-99 anyway. Aside from butterfly effect type stuff, I don't think there's much of a difference in the end.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you watching them? I'd like to watch some older wrestling that isn't just PPV or single matches, but I've been unable to find anything further back than, like, early 2013.

http://www.google.com/videohp?hl=en

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
I'm watching my Hell in a Cell compilation DVD, and I got to UT/Stone Cold vs. Kane/Mankind, and Foley is cutting this oddly poetic promo before the match. I didn't get into wrestling until late 1999, so I missed the whole demented & tragic/corporate Mankind eras, and only knew him as the goofball with Mr. Socko. Were all of Mankind's promos poetic, or did Mankind just do whatever made him look unhinged?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Why exactly did they book so many Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler feuds, especially since Jerry was mostly a commentator and Bret was definitely a main-eventer at the time. Did they just like working together?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Angular Landbury posted:

Why exactly did they book so many Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler feuds, especially since Jerry was mostly a commentator and Bret was definitely a main-eventer at the time. Did they just like working together?

They did a program during Lawler's initial top heel run in 1993 that was an excellent program but never blown off because Lawler was fired mid-feud for his statutory rape charge. They went back to it in 1995 because it was good the first time and left open, and their second run was not so good.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You've got to be loving kidding me. They thought a giant fist helmet was better than a bandana or a hat?

EDIT: Considering the sex tape, recent court ruling and fanfics, it was a big mistake to type "Hulk Hogan fist" into Google.
He calls it a "War Bonnet"...BROTHER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTqJQD4qPs

I miss this show...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

They did a program during Lawler's initial top heel run in 1993 that was an excellent program but never blown off because Lawler was fired mid-feud for his statutory rape charge. They went back to it in 1995 because it was good the first time and left open, and their second run was not so good.

I'm guessing that the start of Owen's issue with Bret and Survivor Series was happening whether Lawler wrestled or not?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Owen's issues with Bret predated Survivor Series and that's just where they blew up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

I'm guessing that the start of Owen's issue with Bret and Survivor Series was happening whether Lawler wrestled or not?

Yes, they were doing teases going back before Lawler was suspended where Owen would sacrifice himself for Bret's glory or get beaten down for Bret to save or those sorts of things.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

jeffersonlives posted:

Makes sense, I guess. Just a little odd that Vince would want one of his top faces in feuds with past-their-prime dudes like Lawler and Bob Backlund instead of trying to raise up younger talent.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is it true that Hogan had a clause in his contract that said that no one could refer to him as being bald on TV?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Angular Landbury posted:

Makes sense, I guess. Just a little odd that Vince would want one of his top faces in feuds with past-their-prime dudes like Lawler and Bob Backlund instead of trying to raise up younger talent.

You say right before Wrestlemania season where for the last few years WWE has put an emphasis on middle aged part-time wrestlers, right before a ppv where the return of a middle aged part-time wrestler is being hyped, and after a Smackdown where two middle aged nostalgia acts pinned the tag team champions, one of whom is a middle aged guy who was semi-retired until recently catching fire during a nostalgia return. I'd say not a lot has changed.

But I'll also say that Bob Backlund is one of the few things I remember positively from that WWF time period.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Amy Renee posted:

I'm watching my Hell in a Cell compilation DVD, and I got to UT/Stone Cold vs. Kane/Mankind, and Foley is cutting this oddly poetic promo before the match. I didn't get into wrestling until late 1999, so I missed the whole demented & tragic/corporate Mankind eras, and only knew him as the goofball with Mr. Socko. Were all of Mankind's promos poetic, or did Mankind just do whatever made him look unhinged?

The poetry wasn't a regular thing, I don't remember the promo in question but I don't think he did poetry often. It's just that Mick was one of the most creative promo guys the WWE ever had. He had a talent for tapping into real emotion to sell his storyline, and he wasn't afraid of doing something unconventional on the mic.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Any excuse to post Mankind's piano theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EROJk8tD218

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mankind was such an amazing character before he went full retard with it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

The Monkey Man posted:

Is it true that Hogan had a clause in his contract that said that no one could refer to him as being bald on TV?
He sued WCW when Russo called him that (among other things) during the Bash At the Beach shoot.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Perigryn posted:

He sued WCW when Russo called him that (among other things) during the Bash At the Beach shoot.

Russo called him a "bald-headed bitch" which is what really set Hogan off and, according to Bischoff in his book (I know, I know but his account meshes with what a lot of people have reported) made whatever plans after Bash at the Beach 2000 impossible because Hogan was beyond livid. The dude is really insecure about his age (baldness ties into age) which honestly explains a good chunk of his actions and attitude over the years.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Justin Godscock posted:

Russo called him a "bald-headed bitch" which is what really set Hogan off and, according to Bischoff in his book (I know, I know but his account meshes with what a lot of people have reported) made whatever plans after Bash at the Beach 2000 impossible because Hogan was beyond livid. The dude is really insecure about his age (baldness ties into age) which honestly explains a good chunk of his actions and attitude over the years.
So that's why Hogan had it in for Bret, Shawn and Warrior. They've got more hair than him! :lol:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I don't think the bald thing was actually in writing, but I remember hearing one of the 80's Hogan villains (maybe King Kong Bundy) say that he got specific instruction from Vince to never mentioned the baldness when heeling Hogan.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cromulent posted:

I don't think the bald thing was actually in writing, but I remember hearing one of the 80's Hogan villains (maybe King Kong Bundy) say that he got specific instruction from Vince to never mentioned the baldness when heeling Hogan.
Well, he makes Hogan look he's got a full Andre-like afro in comparison.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

DeathChicken posted:

Mankind was such an amazing character before he went full retard with it.

I am probably in the minority but I disagree. The Mankind character of 96/97 never really interested me. But I was 9/10 years old so maybe that ties in to that. The whole crazed mutilator gimmick never enthralled me and I don't really recall any amazing matches unless I am missing something in the sea of poo poo that was 1996 WWF.

The Shawn match at that IYR was ok I seem to recall.

Sorry if this is awfully contrarian - I suppose I've never 'got' Mick Foley.

EDIT: thinking about it I think the million and one Taker matches may have bored me a bit. Even into 1997 they were still trotting that match out before Foley's face turn. I think Mick mentions in his first book how he and Taker were concerned going into KOTR98 because saturation

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 19, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder if that was brought up in court. I would have loved to have been in the audience and seen the judge's response to "Your honor, he called me bald on television" I imagine it would be something along the lines of "Look in the mirror. See? It's not slander if it's true"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"Look in the mirror. See? It's not slander if it's true"
But Warrior isn't bald?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endorph posted:

But Warrior isn't bald?

I was all ready to correct you until I realized what you were referencing. It's a slow Sunday morning.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

britishbornandbread posted:

I am probably in the minority but I disagree. The Mankind character of 96/97 never really interested me. But I was 9/10 years old so maybe that ties in to that. The whole crazed mutilator gimmick never enthralled me and I don't really recall any amazing matches unless I am missing something in the sea of poo poo that was 1996 WWF.

The Shawn match at that IYR was ok I seem to recall.

Sorry if this is awfully contrarian - I suppose I've never 'got' Mick Foley.

EDIT: thinking about it I think the million and one Taker matches may have bored me a bit. Even into 1997 they were still trotting that match out before Foley's face turn. I think Mick mentions in his first book how he and Taker were concerned going into KOTR98 because saturation

The Shawn-Mankind match is an amazing match, in my opinion an all-time classic. And if it's been awhile since you've seen them. give the Undertaker series another watch, a lot of them are very good (although the Boiler Room match is really an acquired taste due to the lack of commentary and extreme length).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'd honestly say the Shawn/Mankind match is probably Mick's best non-gimmick match. Plus it's so weird seeing Mick put forward as a monster, because most of his more famous matches are just him selling for most of it, when in that match it's the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm sure this one has an obvious answer that I can't think of at the moment, but has there ever been a title match that had to be changed on the fly due to a botch? E.g. Has a champion won a match he was booked to lose over a botch?