Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I have an aging set of Audio Technica ATH-A700s. I lost the wings a while ago, the pads are wearing down a bit, and the cord's covering is starting to fray. I'm having trouble figuring out whether to try to replace the old/broken parts, get a new pair, or buy a different set entirely. I really like the soundstage of these, and it seems to be unique in the price range. I also like having versatility, so it works for basically anything from music to games. I have no need for aesthetics, mobility, or any kind of other special features in headphones. How much do I need to spend to replicate the great soundstage in the A700s? They are often listed for like $200 or $300, then marked down to $140ish, so it's hard to compare them to other models in terms of return on investment. I mean, I like them a lot- I'm just wondering whether I can do better, especially after reading a Wirecutter review that recommends $80 Sony MDR-7506s for this price range.

A900x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I'm considering getting some decent headphones now that the microphone on my Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 has died. I've never done any research buying standalone headphones before and I want the pair I end up getting to last me for a long time.

I use my headphones on PC. Proper audio quality isn't something I'm very knowledgable about. I've only really had experience with microphone quality.

I've used a few headphones before. I bought a pair of Sennheiser MX 470's for portable listening. They are good enough. Before the Lifechat, I bought a couple of ~gaming headsets~ that I ended up having to replace for various reasons. I went through three Plantronics Gamecom 367's which either broke physically ("military-like design" my rear end) or had the microphone or one of the headphones stop working. A new pair would fit a little tightly but would become more comfortable after a while. The padding also collected a bunch of fluff and hair which wasn't nice. The biggest difference I could tell was it didn't have as much bass as the Lifechat, but again, I don't really know much about audio quality. I got used to the Lifechat's differences so I'm not sure whether I prefer one or the other. The one before that I had was the XFX XGear with bass vibration. The only things I really remember about it was that the base vibration was a kinda cool gimmick and that the mic gave out. The other Lifechat I had also had its mic die (this is a trend). They never really fit on my head nicely and would shift around a bit in use. Each Lifechat also had an annoying issue where the audio would pop occasionally or sometimes constantly and needed to be reset. I learned to tune this out, but it's still unacceptable for audio hardware.

It's best for me to have closed headphones as I use my microphone a lot and don't want to have the sound leak and be heard by it. I'm not too sure on the difference between Supra-Aural or Circumaural so I'm not too fussed on them, but I want a full-size set. I think I'd rather sound quality over comfort, since I forget I'm wearing headphones most of the time. I do take my headphones with me occasionally, and while I keep the original packaging for this, I'd like them to be reasonably durable.

I ended up spending almost $200 on a Blue Yeti mic (I live in Australia and wanted priority shipping, that ain't cheap) so I'm looking for something in the Entry-Level or Mid-ranges. I want headphones with even tone balance; bass heavy isn't for me. I don't want to get an amp or DAC (although the Yeti has a DAC? I don't really know much about the benefits of a digital-analogue converter). I listen to a variety of music and play a bunch of video games so I want something that's all-round.

This is all new to me so the descriptions of the tone response on the buying guide kinda throw me. Could anyone give me some advice on which I might be looking for?

Thanks for setting this up, it's a really good resource.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ATH-AD2000X's came in!

If you're a fan of the Audio Technica series, these are definitely an overall upgrade from the 900's in the same way the 900's were from the 700's. I understand what people were saying about the 2000X's having a neutral midrange compared to the colored mids of the 2000's, for better or worse. Even compared to my AD900's, the midrange is slightly recessed, but in my own personal opinion I feel this is an overall improvement for the sound signature of the headphones and makes it fall more in line with what attracted me to the 700's. Don't confuse "recessed" with "weak", though: The detail is magnificent and they definitely still punch. Bass also has much lower audible extension and still has the neutrality AT headphones are known for. It's a given that the trebles are top-notch, too: every buzz of a string or squeak of a foot pedal exists with scary transparency.

Overall: :thumbsup:

Song tests:

Raffi - Bananaphone. Immediately you can hear Raffi's lisp project spittle onto his microphone every time he says "phone". Raffi also seems to have backup singers of unquestionably adult age, which is something I was barely able to make out in my 900's.

Nickelback - How you Remind Me. You can actually hear the phase shift between both of Chad Kroeger's voices used to cover up his significant lack of testosterone. I can distinctly pick out every one of the several drums that seem to be littered throughout the track. At first I thought it was my neighbor's 12 year old kid practicing as he always does but quickly realized these headphones make even the shittiest percussion sound as realistically lovely as lovely real percussion. You can, toward the end of the song, make out some form of reverb in C. Kroeger's voice, bringing out the depth of his loneliness, possibly dying ego? I will not listen again until I upgrade to a flagship headphone so the world may never know.

Pros:
+If you like the 900's the 2000x's provide more detail to everything you love about the 900's
+Darker than the 900's, more in line with the soundstage of the 700's. This is a personal bonus for me.
+Build construction is slick, solid, and plush

Cons:
-The headband system is a bit weak and a common complaint on forums. I may consider buying some industrial supply springs and replacing the components. In the meantime, I am using a hair tie between the wing system with good results.
-Darker than the 900's, as stated above, which might not be for everyone.

Overall, I'd say these are worth the price I paid for them ($420 :420: ), but it will take a lot of listening to determine whether or not they'd be worth what people are charging for them new imported from Japan. Even with price a consideration, I still believe these are great headphones and worth trying out and purchasing if you're a fan of the ATH-AD series.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had the Ad700, Ad900 and Ad2000. No x. The Ad700 only beat the Ad900 in a wider soundstage. The Ad900 improved in every single other way. The Ad900 to Ad2000 was less of a direct upgrade and more of a side grade. Ad900 is more neutral with the beautiful airy soundstage the Ad700 has and is slightly more comfy than the Ad2000. The Ad2000 is more compressed and slightly bassier than the Ad900. Then again the Ad2000 is much more lively than the Ad900 with a better build, and an overall cleaner sound.

So basically this:

Ad700 = Wide soundstage, great highs, good mid-bass, lacking in sub-bass hugely and recessed mids.

Ad900 = Wide soundstage, more balanced than Ad700, better mids and better sub-bass. More balanced overall and better build quality.

Ad2000 = Smaller soundstage than Ad900, but better imaging. Punchier/livelier bass, livelier mids, better controlled highs, less airy quality. One of the most energetic headphones in existence.

The Ad700 are quickly replaced by the Ad900, but the Ad900 leave a lot to be desired in the Ad2000 overall. The Ad2000 are a more punchy Ad900 with less "air". If I could afford it I'd have an Ad900 and Ad2000. Both are unique and must hear headphones.

My last thoughts: The Ad line is so incredibly unique that I feel everyone must hear the Ad700, Ad900, and Ad2000. I will be rebuying them when I can afford it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd agree with you about the 2000 100%. The 20000x is a completely different sound signature though. I'd describe it as being laid-back compared to the 900's and with extremely good instrument and vocal separation. The recessed mids are immediately recognizable and not true to the 2000's in this regard. They're still a great pleasure to listen to but I'd be hesitant to recommend them to people who are expecting the 2000's colored and lively midrange. I'm going to put on my W5000 pads and see how it affects sound and comfort tomorrow.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Is there any point in jumping from Sennheiser HD555 to HD598? I use them with my computer's onboard card or Sound Blaster X-Fi *something something* for gaming and music.
I don't know what will give me the best quality jump:
1. get DAC+ amp
2. buy something a bit higher like HD598
3. both of above
4. wait and jump straight into HD650 or similar

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Xovaan posted:

I'd agree with you about the 2000 100%. The 20000x is a completely different sound signature though. I'd describe it as being laid-back compared to the 900's and with extremely good instrument and vocal separation. The recessed mids are immediately recognizable and not true to the 2000's in this regard. They're still a great pleasure to listen to but I'd be hesitant to recommend them to people who are expecting the 2000's colored and lively midrange. I'm going to put on my W5000 pads and see how it affects sound and comfort tomorrow.

I think I'm going to pick up the x line eventually, but not until I re-purchase my Ad900/Ad2000. Boy I miss them headphones.

@alex314, nah just foam mod your HD555, that will essentially make them HD595. I'd only recommend upgrading to the HD598 if you loved the aesthetics or if your HD555 broke and you really didn't want to spend more than $200. The HD650 would be a better thing to save for.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Unless you're powering your current cans with a potato, the best upgrade is always better headphones.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Midorka posted:

@alex314, nah just foam mod your HD555, that will essentially make them HD595. I'd only recommend upgrading to the HD598 if you loved the aesthetics or if your HD555 broke and you really didn't want to spend more than $200. The HD650 would be a better thing to save for.
Thanks for help.
Somehow it never occured to me to do that mod.. I've got a pair of 555 that have broken completely in their usual spot, so now I've got motivation to try and get replacement parts.
If I go with HD650 later would I need amp to really make them shine?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I feel the HD555 need an amp to shine, the HD650 are said to be more needy with an amp. I've never heard them though. I only have heard the HD555.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Looking at the spec sheet for the 650 you'll probably want a chipamp of some sort. Doesn't have to be crazy, but just make sure the output impedance is below, I dunno, 30Ω and you'll be more than fine. Most chipamps are <2Ω anyway, so you don't have to spend a shitload of money.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Will JDS Labs o2 amp be good price/performance choice for my present setup?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

alex314 posted:

Will JDS Labs o2 amp be good price/performance choice for my present setup?

Absolutely. It's capable of powering virtually every dynamic and orthodynamic headphone on the market. It's not the end-all say in amplification but it was made with measurable specs in mind, of which it is up there with many if not most of the higher-end amps.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

grack posted:

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really. They're both good headphones. I wouldn't use the custom tip option as a tipping point feature, though, as you can get custom tips done for just about any set of IEMs that you want.

Yeah, it looks like Etymotic's program isn't really any cheaper than what anyone else is offering. I ended up ordering R-50Ms, but they're still wending their way through various sorting hubs. I also ordered a pair of M6Ps to have something with a different sound profile to compare them to.

This is how it starts, isn't it?

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Half my order came in the mail today. The Meelectronics M6Ps are disappointingly muddy and stuffy-sounding . I don't know if it's the fit or what. Quite comfortable, though, with good isolation. Drums are punchy and sound great- I can hear them vibrating! There's also zero harshness from powerful vocals. These are definitely a step up from my old $7 generic brand pair, but there's no airiness to the music - which to me is more important than good bass - and it all comes across as a bit flat and thin. Best example of this is probably in Lana Del Rey's "Young and Beautiful" - I can hear the massive drum (timpani?) vibrate for several seconds after it's struck, but the violins are barely there, as are the roomy synths.

I wish I still had my Samsung IEMs from several years ago, which came boxed with a phone. Their more recent buds are shittier, but those had amazing isolation, decent clarity and that "airy" timbre I find myself missing. Relatively speaking, of course; I've never listened to a real high-end IEM before.

I can't wait for the Gratitudes to come in. :)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You too shall fall into the money abyss.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
I look forward to it.

:ohdear:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Budget - $200 or less (but somewhat flexible)
Source - Dev machine at work
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - I want something that will cancel out the general noisiness of an open office environment. That's the primary reason for this purchase. They need to be comfortable to wear for hours, with sound quality being prioritized behind that.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I hate excess bass.
Past Headphones - M-Audio Q40s which I really liked. Got them cause I love my M-Audio studio monitors. Pretty comfy, decent sound.
Preferred Music - A wide range but nothing with vocals. Classical, jazz, experimental rock, mellow trance

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

alex314 posted:

Thanks for help.
Somehow it never occured to me to do that mod.. I've got a pair of 555 that have broken completely in their usual spot, so now I've got motivation to try and get replacement parts.
If I go with HD650 later would I need amp to really make them shine?
I have HD650's and just use my motherboard's headphone out :black101:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midorka posted:

I had the Ad700, Ad900 and Ad2000. No x. The Ad700 only beat the Ad900 in a wider soundstage. The Ad900 improved in every single other way. The Ad900 to Ad2000 was less of a direct upgrade and more of a side grade. Ad900 is more neutral with the beautiful airy soundstage the Ad700 has and is slightly more comfy than the Ad2000. The Ad2000 is more compressed and slightly bassier than the Ad900. Then again the Ad2000 is much more lively than the Ad900 with a better build, and an overall cleaner sound.

So basically this:

Ad700 = Wide soundstage, great highs, good mid-bass, lacking in sub-bass hugely and recessed mids.

Ad900 = Wide soundstage, more balanced than Ad700, better mids and better sub-bass. More balanced overall and better build quality.

Ad2000 = Smaller soundstage than Ad900, but better imaging. Punchier/livelier bass, livelier mids, better controlled highs, less airy quality. One of the most energetic headphones in existence.

The Ad700 are quickly replaced by the Ad900, but the Ad900 leave a lot to be desired in the Ad2000 overall. The Ad2000 are a more punchy Ad900 with less "air". If I could afford it I'd have an Ad900 and Ad2000. Both are unique and must hear headphones.

My last thoughts: The Ad line is so incredibly unique that I feel everyone must hear the Ad700, Ad900, and Ad2000. I will be rebuying them when I can afford it.

Since the AD2000 is more of a sidegrade, is there any headphone that is a straight-up upgrade to the AD900?

The AD900's sound is just... so clean. It's one of the few headphones that let me understand what people are saying in movies/TV shows without subtitles (English is not my native language);

How's the sound signature of the Sennheiser 700 and 800? Not that I can buy them anytime in the foreseeable future, just curious.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Elentor posted:

Since the AD2000 is more of a sidegrade, is there any headphone that is a straight-up upgrade to the AD900?

The AD900's sound is just... so clean. It's one of the few headphones that let me understand what people are saying in movies/TV shows without subtitles (English is not my native language);

How's the sound signature of the Sennheiser 700 and 800? Not that I can buy them anytime in the foreseeable future, just curious.

Considering that the value of a set of headphones is tied largely user-preference, that's a question that'll garner a wide range of answers. It's certainly a great value for high-end audio economically, though. Those 3D paddle bands are cool as hell.

Looking at this set of charts, it looks like the HD 800 measures better than the ATH-AD900s in an academic point of view, but the differences aren't so enormous that the wildly different price will seem immediately worth it to many. But again, it's a hobby, so ymmv.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 16, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Elentor posted:

In my experiences there is no direct upgrade to the Ad900. It has a very unique sound that's open and airy while being engaging and lively. It really hits a sweet spot between hands off and immersive. The Ad2000 takes the sound and shrinks it, but makes it more engaging. The Ad1000 makes the Ad900 sound more open and airy. I'd say that the Ad2000 is the better upgrade and I feel that any Ad900 lover will absolutely love the Ad2000 also. The pros outweigh the slight cons.

Edit: Comparing the charts of the HD800, nope they wouldn't even come close to satisfying an Ad900 listener. The mid-range is what seals the deal in the Ad line and the HD800 is too tame. I really can't explain the Ad sound, especially the Ad900/Ad2000. It's one of those things you hear and either love it or don't.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 16, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You guys tend to be well above my price points on what constitutes an acceptable headphone set. I am in the $60-$100 range and simply can't afford more than that. Currently I have a Siberia v2 set from Steelseries. It's honestly less comfortable than the v1 I had, but that broke years ago and they're long out of production.

I am very tired of wires on headphone sets and I am wondering how wireless technology is coming along. The last wireless experience I had many years ago was beyond dissatisfying. I need a set with a microphone, and I have a big 'ol head. About the only time I use my current set is at work or if someone wants to talk to me over Mumble during a game so that they don't have to hear my stereo system.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
What exactly is the difference between the AD-900 and AD-900x?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What amplifier would you guys recommend to power my HD650's when I'm listening to music through my laptop or iPhone? Something portable would be ideal, but I would like it to sound good.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

beergod posted:

What amplifier would you guys recommend to power my HD650's when I'm listening to music through my laptop or iPhone? Something portable would be ideal, but I would like it to sound good.

The Fiio E7, E17 or E18 DAC/Amps would be good for that.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Have people had issues with the build quality of the BA-200's? The pair I just got from Amazon Warehouse fell apart in my ear on the airplane. They still work, but the glue holding the case together was completely gone, and some of the wires were frayed inside. Does anyone know if Amazon Warehouse accepts returns/exchanges for products that fail within the first 30 days?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

Have people had issues with the build quality of the BA-200's? The pair I just got from Amazon Warehouse fell apart in my ear on the airplane. They still work, but the glue holding the case together was completely gone, and some of the wires were frayed inside. Does anyone know if Amazon Warehouse accepts returns/exchanges for products that fail within the first 30 days?

You should be able to return it, especially if you contact customer service. I believe Amazon backs their warehouse deals with their own warranty, so the 30 day limit should still apply.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi thread. I'm looking to upgrade my cans but I'm having difficulty really gauging where to move from what I have. I'm hoping someone can sum up the headphones I have and possibly offer a suggestion or two seeing as there are tons of headphones around the price point I'm looking at.

My current headphones are AKG K271 Mk II's. I quite like them but wish they had tighter, lower, and cleaner bass. I mostly use my headphones for gaming but where I really care about the performance is where I'm listening to music. The music I listen to is a mix of metal/various electronic/rock/DnB/Dubstep. I use my headphones exclusively at my PC and don't mind having to pick up a headphone amp to power the next set of cans but I don't know if that will be necessary at the $400 price point which is where I'm looking to pick up the next set.

What I'm looking for:

Circumaural closed-back headphones with exceptionally good low end. I'm not looking necessarily for hyperaccurate reproduction with a flat soundscape a la studio engineer style headphones.

Any suggestions to follow up on would be awesome. I'm happy to check out reviews but I feel like it's a deluge of 30+ options in my price range and nowhere for an outsider to really start interpreting the data in the reviews.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT-770-32ohm.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...amic+dt-770+pro

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the link - reading many reviews. I hear a lot of talk of the V-Moda M100 as a comparison headphone in reviews - any goon preference that way between these two? I buy headphones probably every 2-3 years and don't mind spending another $100 for a better set.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I'm wondering if someone can help me understand something about headphone terminology. I am using a dt880 and have decided to get a woo audio 3 otl tube amp, as it seems to be really highly rated when paired with beyers on headfi and other sites. I have the 600ohm headphones.

One of the options on the site is to add a preamp option. I'm fairly certain I'll be okay without the upgraded tubes (for now), but is this something that helps with listening on my phones? As I understand it this would be a preamp output from the wa3, which I guess would go into a receiver and then output to headphones / speakers, yes? Would this make an appreciable difference in sound? I have a high end denon receiver from a few years ago and may consider this down the line if it is the case, but I'm not sure yet.p if I should get this option.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In that context, a preamp would be for using with a speaker amp without a volume control. (A "power amp" versus an "integrated amp" or receiver.) The headphone amp would double as your speaker volume control.

You don't need it with your receiver.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2014

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
My E07k is arriving today so I want to make sure I have everything I need to listen (making a radioshack run).

Since lightning does not have analog out, what is the best way to connect my idevices? What cables do I need?

What about my white. 2010 macbook? Just a USB to 3.5mm cable?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

My E07k is arriving today so I want to make sure I have everything I need to listen (making a radioshack run).

Since lightning does not have analog out, what is the best way to connect my idevices? What cables do I need?

What about my white. 2010 macbook? Just a USB to 3.5mm cable?

USB to 3.5mm cable doesn't exist. A DAC bypasses your computer's sound card, so it's just USB to mini USB. Are you using this with the Magni?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
No the magni is hooked up to my entrainment center. The fiio is for portable use.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Use a plain USB cable with your computer. The Fiio is your external soundcard+amp.

With your iOS devices, just use a mini-mini cable into the analog-in on the Fiio.

I think you can technically use the lightning-to-USB camera connection kit, but it's expensive and that's a lot of adapters to carry. If you really want to try it, be warned that Apple has severely limited the power available from the port so a lot of devices don't work. Buy the adapter somewhere you can return it easily. iDevices tend to have pretty decent analog outputs, so I wouldn't bother.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 19, 2014

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I just used the heaphone out from my iphone and iPad and it sounds pretty amazing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

VelociBacon posted:

Hi thread. I'm looking to upgrade my cans but I'm having difficulty really gauging where to move from what I have. I'm hoping someone can sum up the headphones I have and possibly offer a suggestion or two seeing as there are tons of headphones around the price point I'm looking at.

My current headphones are AKG K271 Mk II's. I quite like them but wish they had tighter, lower, and cleaner bass. I mostly use my headphones for gaming but where I really care about the performance is where I'm listening to music. The music I listen to is a mix of metal/various electronic/rock/DnB/Dubstep. I use my headphones exclusively at my PC and don't mind having to pick up a headphone amp to power the next set of cans but I don't know if that will be necessary at the $400 price point which is where I'm looking to pick up the next set.

What I'm looking for:

Circumaural closed-back headphones with exceptionally good low end. I'm not looking necessarily for hyperaccurate reproduction with a flat soundscape a la studio engineer style headphones.

Any suggestions to follow up on would be awesome. I'm happy to check out reviews but I feel like it's a deluge of 30+ options in my price range and nowhere for an outsider to really start interpreting the data in the reviews.

I have owned the AKG K271 MKII headphones in the past, but sold them due to the lack of bass. Other headphones I currently own include the Ultrasone HFI-580, Sony MDR-R1, ATH-AX700, and a pair of Heir Audio custom IEM A.4's. I just bought a pair of Shure 1540's for $499, and they are basically perfect for my closed headphone needs. If you want an all around headphone that can also handle EDM with some solid bass they are a great headphone. I listened to a pair of HD650's the same day and I liken them to the 650 but closed and will more detail on the highs and mids. I think the bass response was probably deeper on the 650's but they are open. The 1540's are a great closed headphone for more than just EDM.

I tried out some HE-500's and a pair of v-moda 100's as well and although the HE-500's were really great, the v-moda's were crap compared to the headphones I listed above. Even the HFI-580's are better in their detail, quality and quantity of bass than the v-moda 100's, and they are half the price.

So on the higher end I would condsider the shure 1540 at $499 and you can find the HFI-580's for under $200 on amazon. Of course I don't know what level of bass you are looking for so it is difficult to give you an exact headphone to check out. I am still interested in the elusive Ultrasone Pro 900's which are supposed to be the ultimate in detailed but significant bass headphones. but right now they are over 500 dollars and for many people all they do well is EDM, so I wasn't willing to risk it. If you can find a pair to listen to though, I would check them out, they might be what you want.

I prefer warmer sounding headphones, I consider myself a basshead but I don't like beats, or the Sony XB800's (I own a pair of these). Cold and clinical is boring to me, I assume this is the case with you as well, given you like EDM. If you really want more bass from the Shure or 850's you can always tweak the bass using your equalizer. They both handle the lower end well, but you are still going to get more detail with the Shure 1540's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Again, can anyone recommend any bluetooth headphones?