Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm pretty pumped about this daily Hollande story arc on our celebrity gossip shows aka the national news. What amazing twists will we hear next? Is Michael Schumacher dead or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Osborne: Don't force UK choice between euro or EU exit

Independent:

Ed Miliband to call for banking competition inquiry

Times:

I'm guessing Clintons kept a political 'hit-list' of friends and enemies after failed 2008 bid

Mail:
"President Hollande refused to discuss his infidelity at a meeting of French ministers."

quote:

“Very wise. He stuck out like a sore thumb in his old crash helmet disguise.”

Express:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
But we're not being asked to choose between the Euro and getting out of the EU :psyduck: loving Gideon

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Look if we don't leave the EU right now at great inconvenience to every company that does business on the continent, over 20 romanian bulgarians may enter the country and claim benefits!!!!!

The anti-EU hysteria is totally ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure at this point the government is just using it to disguise the fact they're going to burn the NHS to the ground while everyone is distracted.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

A man and his blind wife go to the museum

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Guardian:

After Ucello.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on debate about UK's military capabilities – Former US defence secretary Robert Gates concerned defence cuts may deprive Atlantic alliance of 'full-spectrum capabilities'"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After GH MacDermott.

Times:

Mail:
"Two teenage schoolchildren have runaway together to the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean."

quote:

“Oh dear. I seem to have mislaid two one-way tickets to the Caribbean that the staff had a whip round for..”

Express:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They really should have drawn Sarko wearing high heels just like the ladies.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

With this cartoon we see the progression of the disease that infects all the characters in the Express cartoons. So children are born with pointy noses, and live a carefree innocent existance, (like in the good old days). At some point they awaken to the miseries of the world and start shaking in rage. (See the girl here who is oscillating slightly as she thinks about the stress of home). Eventually the shaking intensifies and to compensate for the visual distortion of the head wobbling about the eyes are locked open into a thousand yard stare. Reading at this stage is impossible, except for anything that is written in large letters on billboards. Shaving can become dangerous, the only thing that calms the rage is complaining to anyone in earshot about what they're reading or rubbing of the nose, over time sanding it down to a rounded shape. In terminal stages, the world takes on a psychedelic multicoloured flowing quality like a Van Gogh drawn in felt tip by an angry racist. In making sense of that visual jumble, pareidolia can occur, with characters hallucinating the appearance of woodland animals.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

HauntedRobot posted:

With this cartoon we see the progression of the disease that infects all the characters in the Express cartoons. So children are born with pointy noses, and live a carefree innocent existance, (like in the good old days). At some point they awaken to the miseries of the world and start shaking in rage. (See the girl here who is oscillating slightly as she thinks about the stress of home). Eventually the shaking intensifies and to compensate for the visual distortion of the head wobbling about the eyes are locked open into a thousand yard stare. Reading at this stage is impossible, except for anything that is written in large letters on billboards. Shaving can become dangerous, the only thing that calms the rage is complaining to anyone in earshot about what they're reading or rubbing of the nose, over time sanding it down to a rounded shape. In terminal stages, the world takes on a psychedelic multicoloured flowing quality like a Van Gogh drawn in felt tip by an angry racist. In making sense of that visual jumble, pareidolia can occur, with characters hallucinating the appearance of woodland animals.

And some of the populace, when reaching Recognisable Celebrity status, transform into a crude bobblehead, causing every lesser character to stare at them in awe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Joke shamelessly stolen from Terry Pratchett.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The "By Jingo" song, and humorous variations, invented by Terry Pratchett.

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Guardian:

After Ucello.

Noice.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't seen If... posted around here lately. Did it take a holiday break or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HauntedRobot posted:

a Van Gogh drawn in felt tip by an angry racist
One of the best descriptions of the Express as a whole I've read.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
"By Jingo" is an actual song made to drum up support for murdering russians

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

"By Jingo" is an actual song made to drum up support for murdering russians

Specifically MacDermott, 1878:

quote:

The "Dogs of War" are loose and the rugged Russian Bear,
All bent on blood and robbery has crawled out of his lair...
It seems a thrashing now and then, will never help to tame...
That brute, and so he's out upon the "same old game"...
The Lion did his best... to find him some excuse...
To crawl back to his den again. All efforts were no use...
He hunger'd for his victim. He's pleased when blood is shed...
But let us hope his crimes may all recoil on his own head...

Chorus:
We don't want to fight but by jingo if we do...
We've got the ships, we've got the men, and got the money too!
We've fought the Bear before... and while we're Britons true,
The Russians shall not have Constantinople...

The misdeeds of the Turks have been "spouted" through all lands,
But how about the Russians, can they show spotless hands?
They slaughtered well at Khiva, in Siberia icy cold.
How many subjects done to death we'll ne'er perhaps be told.
They butchered the Circassians, man, woman yes and child.
With cruelties their Generals their murderous hours beguiled,
And poor unhappy Poland their cruel yoke must bear,
While prayers for "Freedom and Revenge" go up into the air.

(Chorus)

May he who 'gan the quarrel soon have to bite the dust.
The Turk should be thrice armed for "he hath his quarrel just."
'Tis said that countless thousands should die through cruel war,
But let us hope most fervently ere long it shall be o'er.
Let them be warned: Old England is brave Old England still.
We've proved our might, we've claimed our right, and ever, ever will.
Should we have to draw the sword our way to victory we'll forge,
With the Battle cry of Britons, "Old England and St George!"
(chorus)

Bonus content: The First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regimen[t] of Women, John Knox, 1558. And yes, I managed to be completely surprised by the 'twist' of that book.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

I haven't seen If... posted around here lately. Did it take a holiday break or something?

Sorry yeah been quite busy lately so had a limited SA causal posting time. Here! :)

From mid December. I might be reading to much into this but I read it as it's heaven for Mandela but hell for Thatcher / Reagan. :allears:

After holiday break (start of jan).

Now get ready for :siren: Gove :siren:!

This weeks. :shepface:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 18, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on banks and the cost of living - Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised a reckoning with Britain's 'broken banking system'"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Apres JL David.

Times:

Japan WW2 soldier who refused to surrender Hiroo Onoda dies

Stephen Collins:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fluo posted:

Sorry yeah been quite busy lately so had a limited SA causal posting time. Here! :)

From mid December. I might be reading to much into this but I read it as it's heaven for Mandela but hell for Thatcher / Reagan. :allears:

After holiday break (start of jan).

Now get ready for :siren: Gove :siren:!

This weeks. :shepface:

Thank you! :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Who knew that gave particles mass, eh?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, the rich won.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is that Gromit (or Wallace) caricature supposed to represent Milliband?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Yes it represents real life communist and heir to Stalin 'Red' Ed Milliband.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

It's Wallace you heathen and yeah it's because he has the same toothy gormlessness about him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jesus loving Christ. "Hmmm, Miliband and Wallace are kind of bucktoothed, what current news event could I possibly use them as a caricature in? I know, I can use this story about a Japanese soldier who died! That won't appear massively racist in any way."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"TV exploits easy targets - Chris Riddell's take on the Channel 4 Benefits Street row"

Sunday Telegraph:

Nick Clegg says Lord Rennard must apologise to regain party whip

Independent on Sunday:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Butt Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

In Don Quixote the windmills were only imagined to be ferocious giants. A bad cartoon.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

In Don Quixote the windmills were only imagined to be ferocious giants. A bad cartoon.

Maybe we're imagining it, since it is a cartoon! :lsd:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

job creating mills?!?!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Dark Satanic Mills?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think the phrase "tilting at windmills" has become fit to use for anybody who's set themselves an impossible task, and no longer necessarily implies that the task itself is wrong-headed.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Lord Rennard controversy - The dispute in the Liberal Democrats over sexual harassment allegations surrounding Lord Rennard, the party's former chief executive, is in danger of spinning out of control"

Telegraph:

Racist, imperialist, power-hungry megalomaniac. Why Roosevelt is not the model for Miliband or Labour

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Royal Family press offices set to merge

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Bizarrely enough given that Tim Stanley is a far-right shithead with dubious credentials as a historian, if you ignore the side-comment about distorting markets this article sounds like an attack from the left if anything.

e: Seriously when was the last time a Telegraph journalist complained about someone being "racist and imperialist" and called the UK a "nation of Diggers, Chartists, Quakers and Tolpuddle Martyrs"?

Zohar fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 20, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Wedging leftists between economic and social justice is an old trick of the right. It's also a really, really effective trolling tactic as IWC's innumerable reregs can attest to.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe

France? Oh the place with the eyefull tower.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else hate Hollande's face? I try not to hate people based on how they look but there's something so bathetic and ineffectual about him.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

SedanChair posted:

Does anyone else hate Hollande's face? I try not to hate people based on how they look but there's something so bathetic and ineffectual about him.

Hate's a strong word, he has a quite unremarkable face. I guess "unemotive" would be the correct word. It's lacking something, anyway.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Nigel Farage's claim about women City workers - Ukip leader Nigel Farage says women working in City can do as well, if not better, than men if they don't take time off after childbirth"

Telegraph:

Lord Rennard suspended from Lib Dems amid apology row; Rosetta comet-chaser phones home

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"Lord Rennard has been suspended by the Liberal/ Democrat party for refusing to apologise to women who accuse him of inappropriate behaviour. "

quote:

“Suspended but still no apology, Mr Clegg. However the whips are hoping for a breakthrough soon.”

Express:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For the life of me I just can't find the fox today. Is it in the mirror image of Cameron's head?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

You'd think that Mac, if only through some form of osmosis from working in political commentary for around four decades, would be aware that members of the Lords do not, in fact, wear crowns.

What he's thinking of is the Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

You'd think that Mac, if only through some form of osmosis from working in political commentary for around four decades, would be aware that members of the Lords do not, in fact, wear crowns.

What he's thinking of is the Queen.

I don't mean to white knight Mac, but I'm sure he knows the difference between a peer and the Queen.

He probably just drew them wearing their coronets for some whimsical English reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet

• Locked thread