Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ferroque posted:

Can someone explain a little more to me about Nintendo's publishing rules like these here?

Binding of Isaac is a game heavily steeped in religious stuff while making that same stuff grotesque and Nintendo still maintains a bit of their olden draconian tendencies to removing all references to religion in NES games. A game like Isaac is probably several lines crossed too many for them to publish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Binding of Isaac is a game heavily steeped in religious stuff while making that same stuff grotesque and Nintendo still maintains a bit of their olden draconian tendencies to removing all references to religion in NES games. A game like Isaac is probably several lines crossed too many for them to publish.

Your explanation is much better than mine; you really live up to your username.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Rashomon posted:

What are they?

Explosive Diarrhea Pill can be found again
The Habit only gives the amount of recharge you would get for clearing a room upon being hit, instead of giving 3 points of item recharge flat.
The Polaroid only drops from Mom if a Devil Room spawns after the fight.

Mutant Spider has been added to the list of "Unique" items, meaning that it will be less common.
The Mask + Heart enemy now has reduced health.

The two in bold are the ones I don't like. I get why the habit was nerfed (it is pretty broken) but it'd just make it less fun for me. And the Polaroid thing is just annoying.

I also understand the Polaroid thing. The Chest was supposed to be more rare and hard to get to, but it's also more fun. Although I have no problem going to Sheol every now and then seeing as the Satan fight is probably the best boss fight in the game, for me.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 14, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tychtrip posted:

Explosive Diarrhea Pill can be found again
The Habit only gives the amount of recharge you would get for clearing a room upon being hit, instead of giving 3 points of item recharge flat.
The Polaroid only drops from Mom if a Devil Room spawns after the fight.

Mutant Spider has been added to the list of "Unique" items, meaning that it will be less common.
The Mask + Heart enemy now has reduced health.

Man, playing with the Polaroid change just sounds awful and annoying. If that's supposed to be a "fix" as well, it may find its way into Rebirth which I would not like at all.

The Habit change though is kind of understandable because the half-bar charge was at the root of the game's only real infinite health combination, I'd miss it but I can understand why it'd go.

Ah man, now I'm just getting worried about what else they think needs to be "fixed" to go into Rebirth. They already saw fit to "fix" the art style which I really do not like nor do I agree with any of their rationales for doing so which is already setting off alarm bells in my head. Don't George Lucas this poo poo, dammit! :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The art style change was nigh-inevitable. The flash vector art is a big part of why the game can run like rear end even on a good rig when there's too much stuff on screen. (I agree though...I really liked the style and I'm still lukewarm on Rebirth because I'm a big goony goon who hates change)

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

jivjov posted:

The art style change was nigh-inevitable. The flash vector art is a big part of why the game can run like rear end even on a good rig when there's too much stuff on screen. (I agree though...I really liked the style and I'm still lukewarm on Rebirth because I'm a big goony goon who hates change)

I'm more confused than anything, because Ed keeps harping on how much he hates the game's art style but it doesn't seem to be too different from what we've seen of Mewgenics??

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

The flash vector art is a big part of why the game can run like rear end even on a good rig when there's too much stuff on screen.

I think this is more just Flash itself rather than the art style. Super Meat Boy has the artstyle and doesn't run poorly, okay well that's a lie, it does run poorly just not in the same way that Isaac does. Buncha games in the Basement Collection also carry this art style of his which is undeniably distinctive without noticeably making GBS threads up performance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

One thing about WotL making the game harder is that unless I'm mistaken it also added angel rooms, which are a pretty straightforward boost, since the items in them are free (unlike devil runs) and mostly quite useful.

A boost, but one that will disproportionately appear to better players.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Man, playing with the Polaroid change just sounds awful and annoying. If that's supposed to be a "fix" as well, it may find its way into Rebirth which I would not like at all.

Well Rebirth is also going to have a area beyond Sheol to mirror the Chest. So there'll be some reason to choose between which path you want to take.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Skaw posted:

Well Rebirth is also going to have a area beyond Sheol to mirror the Chest. So there'll be some reason to choose between which path you want to take.

I also heard the Polaroid might not be required for the Chest anymore, which makes sense because locking endgame content to a single (albeit often useful) inventory item kinda sucked.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

'Majesty' is being floor 1 with Judas, passing by a locked gold chest, having to abandon FOUR blue rocks because of no bombs, getting a keydrop in the very last room, busting open the chest, and getting four bombs.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Black August posted:

'Majesty' is being floor 1 with Judas, passing by a locked gold chest, having to abandon FOUR blue rocks because of no bombs, getting a keydrop in the very last room, busting open the chest, and getting four bombs.

And using this method to pick up half a heart upon taking damage to claim some sweet, sweet curse room items (usually not)

Click for source (/r/bindingofisaac)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tychtrip posted:

And using this method to pick up half a heart upon taking damage to claim some sweet, sweet curse room items (usually not)

Click for source (/r/bindingofisaac)

I watched the gif a few loops, and it makes less sense. I guess it's from a cheat engine? Or else how did that heart spawn in the starting room. Which also has no other exit besides the curse room.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

IUG posted:

I watched the gif a few loops, and it makes less sense. I guess it's from a cheat engine? Or else how did that heart spawn in the starting room. Which also has no other exit besides the curse room.

I'm assuming someone just set it up to make the gif showing how to do it. Starting the game over and over until you get a Judas floor one curse room and a heart would take a while.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A boost, but one that will disproportionately appear to better players.

Also a boost that requires you to pass up devil room items. Sometimes that's not a big deal (oh, parasite and sister maggy? yeah, I'm not giving up hearts for those) but when the devil has good items like Spirit of the Night or Brimstone, it's gonna be a tough choice. If you DO try to go for angel rooms, there's no guarantee that you'll get one and when you do you might find that whatever's in there wasn't really worth it.

Having said that, it's the only way to get Sacred Heart and most of the angel room items are at least fairly good. I used to hate Scapular and considered it a waste of an angel room, but now that I know how it can be cheesed I think it's all right.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

IUG posted:

Yeah, it's just to demonstrate the method. It's not the best tip, really.

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
Dumb question, but I just got into the base game and need Wrath of the Lamb - is it part of Rebirth? Is it worth waiting?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Son of Isaac posted:

Dumb question, but I just got into the base game and need Wrath of the Lamb - is it part of Rebirth? Is it worth waiting?

Wrath of the Lamb is the expansion for original Isaac. Rebirth will include everything from base Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb. You could wait, but Rebirth won't be out until late this year at the earliest.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just note that Wrath of the Lamb is meant for experienced players. And once you get it, you can't normally downgrade to the base game. There are 3rd party tools available that let you choose if you want to play with the expansion whenever you start the game, though.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Edmund just posted a sample of the new track that will play in the "basement" of Rebirth.

http://edmundm.com/post/73561597635/the-1st-peek-into-whats-easily-becoming-the

It's not being done by Danny B, but the two guys that are doing Mewgenics.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

20ozMonkey posted:

Edmund just posted a sample of the new track that will play in the "basement" of Rebirth.

Hm, it's a very different feel from the original. It still sounds great, but I really liked the ominous feel of the originals.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shaezerus posted:

I'm more confused than anything, because Ed keeps harping on how much he hates the game's art style but it doesn't seem to be too different from what we've seen of Mewgenics??
Ed drew the Binding art in a very short time period, and artists are fusspots about their work. Not a whole lot more to it than that, I'd wager.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So how do I get Ultra Pride to spawn? I somehow ended up with needing Isaac-Chest and "The left hand" achievement needed for Platinum God (No Idea how I managed that, too much judas? :shepface:) and I never encountered an Ultra pride, or at least it didn't count for the achievement.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

So how do I get Ultra Pride to spawn? I somehow ended up with needing Isaac-Chest and "The left hand" achievement needed for Platinum God (No Idea how I managed that, too much judas? :shepface:) and I never encountered an Ultra pride, or at least it didn't count for the achievement.

Easy, just be in a situation where the worst that could happen would be encountering Ultra Pride.

In all seriousness, it's a random chance, I think the game must first roll to spawn Pride in a room then roll a second time to turn Pride into Ultra Pride (but not Super Pride) , so you won't see him very often.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

20ozMonkey posted:

It's not being done by Danny B

:colbert:
This does not please me.

Zedd posted:

Like Petiso said it's random chance. However, I dunno if it's just me or what (the wiki doesn't say, so I'm assuming it's just me) but I run into Ultra Pride a lot when playing as Cain. Maybe the Lucky Foot effects the Ultra Pride roll somehow?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

20ozMonkey posted:

I absolutely adore how this sounds, and while I liked BoI's soundtrack I have heard it quite enough for the style to have outlived its welcome. Also I never liked the ugly smooth flash-vector look at all so I'm really looking forward to the graphics changes, as well! :toot:

I kind of want to get all the 'chieves before Rebirth-I've played the game a bunch(triple digit hours on steam), but even with every ending accomplished and somewhere around 400 games I apparently am missing a number of secrets.

I think some of them I missed due to early bugginess, especially with the wonky trinket unlocks for beating the game as different characters, but I'm not sure. I guess I may just cram in a bunch more time and see if I can stumble across whatever I don't have.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 18, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Petiso posted:

Easy, just be in a situation where the worst that could happen would be encountering Ultra Pride.
So time to play Samson. :negative:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

IronicDongz posted:

Also I never liked the ugly smooth flash-vector look at all so I'm really looking forward to the graphics changes, as well! :toot:

Just play the game on low quality settings with a low resolution. I have to do that to get the game to run on my pc, and it has the same effect.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I think this is more just Flash itself rather than the art style.

It's actually all Ed's fault. Lemme find you a quote from someone who apparently understands it

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/14/binding-of-isaac-rebirth-more-than-50-done/#comment-1432161 posted:

Binding of Isaac hit the mother lode of bad performance.

Written in the AS2 language which was replaced 8 years ago, and forces the code to run in the old version of the Adobe virtual machine. Uses true vector graphics for everything which means they have to get redrawn from scratch each frame, which is much slower than blitting a stored bitmap to screen (and vastly slower than using direct hardware acceleration).

Doesn’t do any pooling of game entities, so they’re getting allocated and garbage collected wile in the middle of combat. And just to add some horror, it was all put together within the old style Flash authoring program so you end up with .fla files that buckle under the weight of an expansion.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ed tweeted: Epic fetus + Mutant spider

http://imgur.com/QDeaqim

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's cool. The lamest thing about the super strong items is they don't combine with lots of tear effects.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Pixeltendo posted:

cool effect, still hate the art style/ :(

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Pixeltendo posted:

I wasn't a fan of the art style when the first few pictures of it came out, but it looks really good in motion.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

cool effect, still hate the art style/ :(

Apparently what you see in this screenshot is still an early alpha, later versions will be much more illustrative. We'll see though.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I'm loving the look of this - reminds me of 16 bit games of my childhood. Ed mentioned outdoor environments and swaying grass in the new artwork, it'd be amazing if the game was a major leap forward with regards to environments like 8-bit Zelda was when it graduated to the Super NES. I'll definitely be picking up a PS Vita specifically for this game when it's released.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Man if they could make it have a big overworld and have different dungeons and poo poo like Zelda and still have it be randomly generated, the game would probably consume me entirely.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jibo posted:

Man if they could make it have a big overworld and have different dungeons and poo poo like Zelda and still have it be randomly generated, the game would probably consume me entirely.

Doesn't work in context. Something like Super Castlevania IV's world map might be in the cards, though.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Cephalocidal posted:

Doesn't work in context. Something like Super Castlevania IV's world map might be in the cards, though.

In the Tarot cards??

Question for anyone familiar with SpiderMod - I'm watching some NorthernLion runs and he does some with a Universal Item Pool (Devil Room items showing up in shops, etc). I was poking around with the SpiderMod settings but can't figure out how to set up a Universal Item Pool - anyone been able to do this with success?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Start the game. Random. Judas. Bad run, kill it by floor two. Random again, Isaac, D6 run yawn. Get to Basement 2, nothing special so far, Mr. Mega and a goddamn meat cube. Decide to go into a curse room after I lose 2 soul hearts and 2 normal hearts to a goddamn bunch of lovely flies. Run in, two chests, troll bomb. Hit the other chest, bam, Devil Room. Guppy's Head and Guppy's Paw. Take both, down to 1 heart. Reroll. Becomes Guppy's Tail and Dead Guppy.

Cat Mode, Floor 2, one heart, 9 lives.

LET'S ROCK.

EDIT: Caves 1. Got a huge key problem thanks to the tail, right? Reroll my item room. Skeleton Key.

Black August fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Mental Midget posted:

In the Tarot cards??

Question for anyone familiar with SpiderMod - I'm watching some NorthernLion runs and he does some with a Universal Item Pool (Devil Room items showing up in shops, etc). I was poking around with the SpiderMod settings but can't figure out how to set up a Universal Item Pool - anyone been able to do this with success?

Download this.

Boot up Spidermod, start a run, and go to Internals>Item Pools Editor.
Load from file and load up the file.

• Locked thread