Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

So, I haven't played this in quite a while thanks to TIE Interceptors being nonexistant for months. How's the game looking these days? Anything totally insane I should know?

A Medium Transport and Corvette are coming out. Unfortunately, the Transport comes with new cards :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
But JEK PORKINS

Also some PS 3 unique pilot who I've never heard of. I'll probably get it but only so I can torpedo it with my TIE Bombers :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

A Medium Transport and Corvette are coming out. Unfortunately, the Transport comes with new cards :/

I'll be buying at least one of everything anyway because I am the worst. Also because OMG SPACESHIPS!!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Unfortunate? Why is "new options" unfortunate? I'm really excited for the new ships and cards.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah new options are great but it sucks putting them on a $59 ship that only exists for custom missions.

edit: and yeah I already have enough X-Wings :(

alg fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 17, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

jivjov posted:

Unfortunate? Why is "new options" unfortunate? I'm really excited for the new ships and cards.

I'm going to guess that it's because it's another thing to buy to have a full set of x-wing pilots to pick from :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing that upsets me is that Tycho is an A-Wing pilot so I can't run a 4-X-Wing Starfighters of Adumar list.

Also, as to the price of the rebel transport, between Cool Stuff Inc and Amazon, it won't be hard to pick one up at a decent discount.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I know about Miniature Market and I might buy a mat from them, but are there any other places I should look at for a good game mat for not too expensive?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really like my felt mat from http://www.hotzartworks.com/ but it took ages to arrive. I mostly like it because it's felt, so I can fold it and unfold it easily. Vinyl mats roll up, and end up having rolled up edges when you play.

The guy from Hotz doesn't communicate at all, I think it took 2 months for mine to arrive.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got This mat from CoolStuffInc. It not that expensive, and it's made of that thick mousepad material that card game playmats are made of.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I went down to the fabric store and picked up a 3x6 sheet of some thicker black fabric with a glittey background for $8 that works pretty great (have just been folding it half for 100 point games, but I could see laying it all the way out if I ever did something bigger). Certainly not quite as nice as some of the custom starfield mats that are out there, but it does the job and looks good doing it.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Just a heads up, Target is throwing the core set on clearance in some stores. Should I buy a pair at 19.99, or just one?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

Just a heads up, Target is throwing the core set on clearance in some stores. Should I buy a pair at 19.99, or just one?

Two is really good to get. You get a extra set of movement templates and dice which is very handy. At that price, if I didnt have 4 x-wings and 7 ties, I would get three!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I got this yesterday for by Bday, I've only had a quick game, but I've already ordered a second set like everyone mentions (its basically get a ships free, plus dice and movement tokens)

But, Where do I go from there? Do I get another TIE and X-wing for the cards, or get some other ships to make it look more interesting.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

So I got this yesterday for by Bday, I've only had a quick game, but I've already ordered a second set like everyone mentions (its basically get a ships free, plus dice and movement tokens)

But, Where do I go from there? Do I get another TIE and X-wing for the cards, or get some other ships to make it look more interesting.

Getting an X-Wing and a TIE-Fighter for the cards are both good moves, as you get some of the better Imperial and Rebel pilots with those. If I use TIE Fighters I at least use them in groups of 5.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Extra TIE and X-Wing are great ideas. After that it's up to what you really like from the movies, as most ships are good and have uses. The most useful are probably the Falcon/Interceptors. The only thing I might avoid is the TIE Advanced, it has been overshadowed by Interceptors kind of.

Buy Y-Wings though, Y-Wings loving own :getin:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Y-wings do own. I played another game last night and we swapped sides right before playing, so I had to put together a panicked Rebel list. Here's what I had:

X-Wing (Red squadron) with R2-D2
B-Wing (Blue squadron) with autoblasters and Advanced Proton Torpedoes
Y-Wing (Gray Squadron) with Ion Cannon turret
A-Wing (Prototype Pilot) with nothing extra

She had:

2x TIE Fighters (Black Squadron)
1x TIE Fighter (Night Beast)
1x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Bomber (Scimitar Squadron) with Proton Torpedoes and Cluster Missiles
1x TIE Interceptor (Alpha Squadron)

We were playing on an asteroid-heavy map, but it was pretty fantastic. Thanks to some terrible maneuvering on my part and a series of bad rolls my A-Wing bit the dust quickly. The MVPs on my side were definitely the X-Wing and Y-Wing though. That Ion cannon nearly cost her the TIE Interceptor when it basically drifted into Range 1 for my X-Wing, which had also managed to rack up a TIE Fighter kill. There were just too many TIE Fighters though, and the TIE Bomber managed to be guided into position eventually to score a cluster missile hit on the B-Wing.

TIE swarms work well, but I don't think the B-Wing was worth the points. It was super tough but only got a couple shots off. Another X-Wing or Y-Wing would have worked better.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

B-Wings really shine when paired with a Heavy Laser Cannon or something like that. The Autoblaster is deadly but the slow speed and 1 agility kind of hampers it.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Autoblaster is probably one of the worst cards in the game. 4 attack dice with crits is just as good mathematically as 3 attack with the autoblaster bonus plus it costs 5 points. The only situation autoblaster is good for is striping stealth off ties. Even then, if you get in range one of a tie with stealth, 4 attack die will probably do the job too. Its just not worth 5 points.

Not to mention getting b-wings into a range one situation doesn't happen a lot. Way better off taking your bonus attack dice at range one and spending 5 points some place else.

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Gahdamnit, I managed to misplace the little sheet with the special rules and extra missions that came with my Firespray. Was there anything I need to remember there other than 'you can shoot your primary weapon behind you if you like'?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

Gahdamnit, I managed to misplace the little sheet with the special rules and extra missions that came with my Firespray. Was there anything I need to remember there other than 'you can shoot your primary weapon behind you if you like'?

The other rule I didn't know about until I read that little rulebook was that a large ships base can span further than range 1 from the edge during set-up. As long as as corner of its base is touching the end you can set it up at whatever angle you want.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, that's the same for all large ships. As is, apparently, that you need 2+ shots from an ion cannon to really disable one. It's just that some of them have special rules, like how the Firespray can flip its main guns and shoot behind it, or how the Falcon's primary weapons are actually on a turret mount :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Those you can figure out from looking at the ship's base. I know only the primary weapon can fire backward.

If I had a scanner I would scan it in for ya :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

alg posted:

Those you can figure out from looking at the ship's base. I know only the primary weapon can fire backward.

If I had a scanner I would scan it in for ya :(

That's alright, that's all I really needed to know. Appreciate the thought! Annoying though, I must've accidentally tossed it with the package >.<

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

That sounds like a good reason for a second Firespray!

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Had my first game as the Rebels the other day and it worked out pretty well. Normally I prefer Imperials, but I was teaching someone the game and he wanted to play the Imps so I broke out my X-Wing models and some proxy cards and put together a varied list to try multiple things out that looked like this:

[29] Tycho Celchu A-Wing
-push the limit

[25] Blue Squadron B-Wing
-advanced sensors

[23] Red Squadron X-Wing

[23] Gold Squadron Y-Wing
-ion cannon turret

Versus his squad that looked like this:

[28] Royal Guard TIE Interceptor
-push the limit
-stealth device

[27] Saber Squadron TIE Interceptor
-push the limit
-stealth device

[17] Mauler Mithel TIE Fighter

[16] Backstabber TIE Fighter

[12] Academy TIE Fighter

This was also the first time that I've played with terrain so that was interesting with the asteroids in the mix. I messed up some planning and ran into one with my A-Wing fairly early and got a little messed up, but I managed to get the hang of maneuvering around them after that. I thought I was in quite a bit of trouble as he got almost all of my ships low on shields early on, but the ion turret did a great job of keeping his TIE Interceptors in check and I was able to turn things around with some tight maneuvers and focused fire to pull out a win. I definitely enjoyed the Rebels a lot more than I was expecting to as they make up for their lack of tricky boosts and barrel rolls with some pretty solid staying power and the awesome ion turret.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Just played (half of) my first game on Vassal with friend who rage-quit had to go put his children to bed. The Vassal module isn't bad at all. I'm Veritek on there, so if anyone's ever looking for a game, lemme know.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

Just played (half of) my first game on Vassal with friend who rage-quit had to go put his children to bed. The Vassal module isn't bad at all. I'm Veritek on there, so if anyone's ever looking for a game, lemme know.

I'll have to check that out. I'm itching to try out a few more strategies.

I played another couple of games this weekend, meeting up with random dudes in shady places to play with tiny pieces. Still haven't won a game because I am awful, but had a fantastic time managed to try out a few more lists. I tried a 50 point list that consisted of 2 Alpha Squadron pilots and a Black Squadron pilot. After some bad rolls that resulted in completely losing the two TIE Interceptors, the TIE Fighter managed to last on its own against 2 X-Wings (one even managing to shoot at it with Advanced Proton Torpedoes) for 3 more rounds.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone know if that Target special is still around? I'm thinking of going by my local store to start this game, since i had a friend pick up a starter box a week or two ago and it seems pretty neat.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Anyone know if that Target special is still around? I'm thinking of going by my local store to start this game, since i had a friend pick up a starter box a week or two ago and it seems pretty neat.

My stores quit stocking X-Wing completely, but it's highly variable from one store to the next.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Target has basically put their X-Wing on clearance, which will continue until it all sells. I found one at $20 a few weeks ago, and people are reporting getting them down to $12 recently.

You can call a local Target and have them check on stock on other Targets in the area.

One strange thing about the sets left at my Target was that all of them had X-Wings with severely bent cannons and engines. Not just bent plastic, but glued on at terrible angles. And compared to the other X-Wings I have the base paint is much lighter, so I'm guessing these were from an earlier run. I sent some pictures to FFG and they sent me a replacement at no cost.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The poorly aligned guns and engines are pretty typical of the first run of X-wings, all my Xwings are like this.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'll be getting my two starter boxes today, and I've got an X-wing, Y-wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Advanced, and Millenium Falcon on order to be delivered Monday. Very much looking forward to trying this game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Preview of the medium transport. Kind of neat. I still feel like I'm buying it just for the cards :/

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4628

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eh. See I wouldn't feel so bad buying it if it was a cool model that's enjoyable to paint. That's why I'll get the blockade runner. The medium transport always looked like rear end to me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

Eh. See I wouldn't feel so bad buying it if it was a cool model that's enjoyable to paint. That's why I'll get the blockade runner. The medium transport always looked like rear end to me.

The "First transport is away!" scene is my favorite from the movies...so I love the ship. I just can't see convincing people to play against it in the limited time I have to play X-Wing :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm stupidly excited for the big ships. Yeah, for this transport I'm more excited for more X-Wing pilot cards (one step closer to fielding a Starfighters of Adumar squad!), but the big ships should add some fun variant play options.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

alg posted:

The "First transport is away!" scene is my favorite from the movies...so I love the ship. I just can't see convincing people to play against it in the limited time I have to play X-Wing :(

The Energy rules and different damage decks are cool. I like that idea. I also think the model looks good, so I'm probably going to be preordering it. No large ships for the Imperials though!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The abilities on the medium transport seem insane so I really want to see the rules for epic play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Swagger Dagger posted:

The abilities on the medium transport seem insane so I really want to see the rules for epic play.

Yeah, I wonder if energy is regenerated at >1 per turn. If so, the transport could be really, really vicious as something like a debuffer.

• Locked thread