Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

HollisBrown posted:

Help goons. Is my guitar ugly?

I need goon approval. I can't enjoy it without your approval but if you don't like it I'm gonna pop in every 2 days to tell you how much better I am than all of you.

I like it, but what is it? Is it home made or a refurbed Teisco or something?
It's kinda cartoony, like if a band was guesting on the Simpsons they'd be drawn playing something just like that
(s'cool tho )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, realtalk. What is the handle for? Seriously.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Allen Wren posted:

You might as well post a picture of a mirror and the type "faustus" 13 times.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

He answers the question at 4:28 here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsM5XncGbY&t=289s

The answer is literally this:

stratdax fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 18, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Fair Hallion posted:

I like it, but what is it? Is it home made or a refurbed Teisco or something?
It's kinda cartoony, like if a band was guesting on the Simpsons they'd be drawn playing something just like that
(s'cool tho )

It's labeled as a "Kingston", It's 100% original as far as I can tell, if it was refinned it's the best job I've ever seen. I think it's a late 60's Tiesco.

But yeah it's weird and a little ugly and cartoony.

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
I unorinically own a fretless Squier bass. Gotta love that lyrical MWAAHHH.

Okay, I never play it. It scares me.

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 18, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

White Dog Eggs and I been in talks to make this a reality

gonna get my own station waguitar :3:

mclast have given his blessing for me to post progress pictures in the thread, so soon everyone will see the birth of the Cyber-Sedancaster!

HollisBrown posted:

Totes

It's awkward as all gently caress, it's more neck heavy than any SG ever

That's definitely kin to Teisco, I've seen that exact headstock on 'Top Twenty' (Teisco's branded for the UK) guitars, that bridge is a give-away too(how does the whammy feel? They seem to vary like crazy). Looks like someone has stripped the paint, given it a shiny-shiny pickguard and maybe reshaped the one side to make it easier to play.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

mclast have given his blessing for me to post progress pictures in the thread, so soon everyone will see the birth of the Cyber-Sedancaster!

That's definitely kin to Teisco, I've seen that exact headstock on 'Top Twenty' (Teisco's branded for the UK) guitars, that bridge is a give-away too(how does the whammy feel? They seem to vary like crazy). Looks like someone has stripped the paint, given it a shiny-shiny pickguard and maybe reshaped the one side to make it easier to play.

It's a hardtail actually. I really think the pickgaurd is original too, I've GIS'd it and I've seen aluminum pickgaurds on tiescos.

Tiescos are totally ugly but really endearing at the same time. They make totally bitchin slide guitars too. Most are unplayable anymore since they either didn't have trussrods, or if like this one, they do but are not adjustable.

edit:

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 18, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

It's a hardtail actually. I really think the pickgaurd is original too, I've GIS'd it and I've seen aluminum pickgaurds on tiescos.
edit:

Well poo poo, that'll teach me to post on my phone, could have sworn I saw a whammy bar. Interesting that the scratchplate is original, they are usually this weird plasticy-celluloid crap that warps as soon as you take it off.

Also, I've never seen a Teisco that didn't have Gibson-style truss rod, that might be because all the ones without truss rods have been chucked out though.

I totally want one of these;

Just look at this dopey thing, it's perfect.

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012

Valtaherra posted:

being left handed sucks because all your guitar options are hideous, cheap(quality), or overpriced, or some combination of those things

I found a JEM for like $3000 too hahaha

I don't give a gently caress how hard some old guy farts all over this thread, there's nothing gorgeous about something that looks like my grandmother's wallpaper

Old post I know but this, being a lefty is the worst unless you want to pay through the nose for a decent guitar. Only saving grace is most places cant move them so you can talk the price down a bit.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fenris244 posted:

Old post I know but this, being a lefty is the worst unless you want to pay through the nose for a decent guitar. Only saving grace is most places cant move them so you can talk the price down a bit.

If you are lefty, see if you can find a guitar builder near you, as long as you don't want anything too fancy it shouldn't cost much more than something off-the-rail.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

White Dog Eggs posted:

I totally want one of these;

Just look at this dopey thing, it's perfect.
I think I played one of those in high school jazz band. I think it was called an "Eko" though. Straight up ugly guitar.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

I love how everything around the horns and the waist is subtly asymmetrical. It's ugly but endearing. Then you see the headstock, which is completely out of hand ridiculous. I like the minimal one pickup setup too.

quote:

I love when someone plays a guitar like this at a show and then they're just loving with all the toggles trying to get the right sound but they never can.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Wabbit posted:

I love how everything around the horns and the waist is subtly asymmetrical. It's ugly but endearing. Then you see the headstock, which is completely out of hand ridiculous. I like the minimal one pickup setup too.

I love when someone plays a guitar like this at a show and then they're just loving with all the toggles trying to get the right sound but they never can.

I bet half of those switches make no discernible difference in sound.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

CannedMacabre posted:

I bet half of those switches make no discernible difference in sound.

They are apparently re-purposed light switches.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

woodch posted:

I think I played one of those in high school jazz band. I think it was called an "Eko" though. Straight up ugly guitar.

eko was just another brand of teisco

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
Michael Angelo Batio might be a bit tragic looking these days, but I attended a guitar workshop of his and he is actually the coolest, most genuine guy ever.
People all lined up to get photos taken and this young kid mentioned that theory confuses him, so MAB sat him down and gave him a half hour lesson.
His guitars were still loving ugly though.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!

Fax Sr posted:

eko was just another brand of teisco

Eko is an Italian brand and not another brand of Teisco!!!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

vrklgn posted:

Teisco ripped off a lot of their designs, so I can see why people think that.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Anything B.C Rich - Ugly

ubermarcus posted:

Michael Angelo Batio might be a bit tragic looking these days, but I attended a guitar workshop of his and he is actually the coolest, most genuine guy ever.
People all lined up to get photos taken and this young kid mentioned that theory confuses him, so MAB sat him down and gave him a half hour lesson.
His guitars were still loving ugly though.

Nope. Not buying the, "He's such a nice guy!" thing. I went to an MAB workshop put on at a local store where not only did he loose his poo poo at everyone because his wig came loose and somebody called him out on it, he repeatedly hit on my girlfriend and tried to coerce her into leaving with him right while I was standing there. MAB can eat a dick.

In retrospect had I known how much of a nightmare she'd eventually become I probably would have just wished the man luck and walked out.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 19, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

vrklgn posted:

oops youre right

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Anything B.C Rich - Ugly

Nope. Not buying the, "He's such a nice guy!" thing. I went to an MAB workshop put on at a local store where not only did he loose his poo poo at everyone because his wig came loose and somebody called him out on it, he repeatedly hit on my girlfriend and tried to coerce her into leaving with him right while I was standing there. MAB can eat a dick.

In retrospect had I known how much of a nightmare she'd eventually become I probably would have just wished the man luck and walked out.

this is the cooler story

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Sweet jesus, this just popped up on the Pittsburgh Craigslist

It's like an affliction shirt threw up on this guitar.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

HollisBrown posted:

Sweet jesus, this just popped up on the Pittsburgh Craigslist

It's like an affliction shirt threw up on this guitar.

buy this, add a fishman midi control, make dubstep

profit

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
This whole thread could be filled with guitars from Pittsburgh's CL.
This guitar might be ugly, :iiam:

"i got a electric guitar"
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/4293442291.html

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
WHOA

*post includes phone number*

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I realized pretty much all pretty decent guitarists seem to play ugly guitars.

Maybe ugly guitars are the way to go.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 19, 2014

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

HollisBrown posted:

Tiescos are totally ugly but really endearing at the same time. They make totally bitchin slide guitars too. Most are unplayable anymore since they either didn't have trussrods, or if like this one, they do but are not adjustable.

edit:

I have a Teisco MJ-2L like this except red:

The frets are totally shot so I took it to a tech to get refretted and he was all like "yeah, because it's a bound neck, that's gonna cost a lot more than you likely paid for the guitar". so now it's my slide guitar :shobon:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The frets on mine are like 2mm tall too.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

all these and more available now in the boston area only $800 and up

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dirt posted:

I realized pretty much all my favorite guitarists seem to play ugly guitars.

you shut your whore mouth, motorave belaires are pretty god drat rad. if you're going to post a motorave guitar, post this one:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Buckethead gets a pass purely for confusing the gently caress out of Ozzy Osbourne when he auditioned for his solo project;

Ozzy Osbourne posted:

I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the loving bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green loving Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing loving mind games with the guy".

He also did the Power Rangers music :krad:

Handen posted:

I have a Teisco MJ-2L like this except red:

The frets are totally shot so I took it to a tech to get refretted and he was all like "yeah, because it's a bound neck, that's gonna cost a lot more than you likely paid for the guitar". so now it's my slide guitar :shobon:

Refretting bound necks isn't very fun, it's not the hardest thing in the world though.

mclast posted:

all these and more available now in the boston area only $800 and up

I like this one, only because I imagine that it smells like my mum's old vinyl record player though.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

imagine that it smells like my mum's old vinyl record player though.

acceptable, if the smell makes you play faster

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

White Dog Eggs posted:

I like this one, only because I imagine that it smells like my mum's old vinyl record player though.

I can't tell if its just a very transparent guitar.

edit: I think the red is part of a guitar case.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Dan Armstrong Plexis are rad

Salt Fish posted:

I can't tell if its just a very transparent guitar.

It's transparent and also has switchable pickups

Dirt posted:

I wouldn't really characterize any of these as ugly except for maybe the Fireman which has a funky sort of quirkiness to it and I guess Cantrell's guitar (but I can kind of dig the pinup thing)

Also thread challenge: post a headless guitar that doesn't look goofy as gently caress, guitars with redundant headstocks do not count

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Has the Firebird X come up yet?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

HollisBrown posted:

Has the Firebird X come up yet?

For some reason that reminded me about the Jimi Hendrix Strat from Gibson.
Yup, that's right.
A signature model guitar of an icon known for playing another company's iconic guitar made by the main competitor of the first company.

(hard to get a good pic because the fallout was furious and instant and Gibson removed all references to it from their website within a couple of hours or so.)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jimi Hendrix also played a Flying V somewhat regularly and favored them over Strats towards the end of his life so I have no idea why Gibson didn't just release the equally iconic Hendrix V but hey whatever

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

iostream.h posted:

(hard to get a good pic because the fallout was furious and instant and Gibson removed all references to it from their website within a couple of hours or so.)

quote:

Last week, Gibson quietly announced the development of a line of guitars with Jimi Hendrix's sister Janie Hendrix, who manages the Authentic Hendrix brand.

quote:

In Gibson's interview with Janie, she said that, "This is just the tip of iceberg. We want to have a whole line of Jimi-inspired instruments."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dirt posted:

I was originally going to post "I don't recognize the third, fifth or sixth guys," but then I realized who three and five were. Who's six?

• Locked thread