Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blister posted:

Then why the hell is the developer switching to a new engine for their next iteration if this was to understand the tools and graphics :psyduck:

Probably because Unearthed was made on Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

All the Spelunky lately caused me to finally pick it up and see if it grabs hold of me - now I both love and really hate this game. It's probably just in my head but it feels like the game is programmed to know when you've got all your favorite items and to ratchet up the difficulty to 'Heh, you thought you were doing well" difficulty on the fly. I really enjoy that no matter how frustrating or cheap a death may feel immediately after it happens you're only left with an "Alright Spelunky, I see what you did there" and a chuckle when you realize it was your own dumb fault.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you utilize the bat tech?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Patrick is pretty good at Dark Souls, killed S&O in 2 tries.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

Patrick is pretty good at Dark Souls, killed S&O in 2 tries.

I'm behind on Jeff Green's videos, did he get there yet? I think he might get those two down eventually but I don't think he'll make it past the Tomb of the Giants. He likes to run backwards a thousand yards every single encounter and Tombs is like Blighttown but with darkness. If that poo poo golem in that one section he spent 3 hours trying to get past didn't kill itself I think he'd still be there because of the aforementioned problem of running backwards too much. Patrick learned early, circle-strafe is the key to victory in Dark Souls.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Jimbot posted:

I'm behind on Jeff Green's videos, did he get there yet? I think he might get those two down eventually but I don't think he'll make it past the Tomb of the Giants. He likes to run backwards a thousand yards every single encounter and Tombs is like Blighttown but with darkness. If that poo poo golem in that one section he spent 3 hours trying to get past didn't kill itself I think he'd still be there because of the aforementioned problem of running backwards too much. Patrick learned early, circle-strafe is the key to victory in Dark Souls.
Jeff's streaming right now for longer than he usually does and he just got past the archers, so he might get to Ornstein and Smough today.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jeff kindled to 20 flasks, so he might have a shot.

EDIT: Ahaha, Patrick knew it was coming and still got kicked off the ledge by that skeleton like Vinny did.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 19, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jimbot posted:

Patrick learned early, circle-strafe is the key to victory in Dark Souls.
It's the lead up to Dark Souls ultimate strategy: Punch the boss in the butt

Also he's getting salty after getting group-hugged by Nito's crew a couple of times. :allears: To be fair, he has the stats and equipment and is getting the run-up down, he just needs to manage the number of skellies, no problem.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 19, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like watching Jeff's stream live because the chat blows up all the time. It's like watching real life Mr. Magoo play video games.

"I'm going to two hand this guy! [Jeff presses Triangle to two-hand weapon]

-Two minutes later-

How do I two hand the weapon again?"

It's great. The only time it was terrible was when he was stuck on the poo poo golem in Blighttown for 2 hours. I pretty much skipped that one after the tenth try.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's the lead up to Dark Souls ultimate strategy: Punch the boss in the butt

Also he's getting salty after getting group-hugged by Nito's crew a couple of times. :allears: To be fair, he has the stats and equipment and is getting the run-up down, he just needs to manage the number of skellies, no problem.

He finally bulldozed him. Patrick continues to be good at Dark Souls.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

StarkRavingMad posted:

He finally bulldozed him. Patrick continues to be good at Dark Souls.
He did OnS (without rite of kindling?), Tomb of Giants and Nito in one sitting? Dang. Nicely done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's doing it in one sitting because Chicago and the rest of Illinois is basically carpeted right now in snow. He couldn't do anything else even if he wanted to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why aren't Patrick's DS runs going up on the site? The quality is great, it seems like a no-brainer. I don't want to deal with Twitch.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

Why aren't Patrick's DS runs going up on the site? The quality is great, it seems like a no-brainer. I don't want to deal with Twitch.

He's been uploading them to his personal YouTube channel too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

He's been uploading them to his personal YouTube channel too.

Ah, okay, thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeff Green also put up his Dark Souls stream on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/Greenspeakachu/videos

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Jeff Green is preparing to continue his campaign against the horrors of O & S.

http://www.twitch.tv/greenspeak

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ornstein just killed him!

God drat why does he love NeoGAF so much. Post on SA we love you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"Ornstein... that guy's a jew!" :laffo:

It's so surreal how everyone is getting into the Souls games as of late. Did you hear how excited Brad got about playing Dark Souls on his own time during UPF? The gently caress is going on

Dark Souls 2 is going to be freaking huge.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 19, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"I'm not close to rage quitting but I'm out of my depth."

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jeff killed Sunbro. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breaking Jeff

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jeff Green is what Brad will become in 30 years of all these Break Brads. Jeff's a broken man right now, holy smokes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
While trying to find the codec pictures from Metal Gear Solid I happened upon Jeff's review of the game over at Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid/

It's interesting to see how his opinion on some things changed while some are the same. Also he got better at writing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Only Brad could take out a whole group of men with a gun and a sword, then 5 minutes later not know he has a gun or a sword.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Overbite posted:

While trying to find the codec pictures from Metal Gear Solid I happened upon Jeff's review of the game over at Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid/

It's interesting to see how his opinion on some things changed while some are the same. Also he got better at writing.

Jeff posted:

To say that the length of the game is disappointing is generous at best. Even if you were to watch every single cutscene and fumble around a bit at the beginning while learning the controls, you would still finish the game in around 15 hours.

:allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remember when 15 hours was a piddling amount of time for a game to last?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Also recall that Jeff hates Super Metroid for the same reason. I bet he'd like it a lot more if he gave it another chance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tae posted:

Remember when 15 hours was a piddling amount of time for a game to last?

Even more than that I remember when an hour to beat a game was long as gently caress as long as you weren't terrible at it. (I'm old)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember Konami was promoting the gently caress out of MGS for over 2 years. It would suck to go home and beat it in 2-3 sessions. I sucked at games so it took me two weeks to play and I was happy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, game length is weird. I was perfectly fine with beating Metro Last Light in seven hours or Gone Home in two, but if I played something like The Witcher and did everything the game had to offer in that time frame I'd be really disappointed. And I payed less money for The Witcher than I did either of those.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, what is going on.

Told Brad that Dark Souls would be getting patched on PC dropping GFWL ( according to Namco Bandai themselves through Joystiq ). When this happened to Batman/Bioshock all previous saves were erased/corrupted, and even using the save editor some guy whipped up leads to the saves getting recorrupted down the road. It's a lovely situation that should probably get some airtime, so I figured it'd be good for Brad/GB to know.

This has led to me getting tons of really angry PMs by people screaming I'm discouraging people from playing the best game ever, am a total liar, and how do I know the saves won't work. Brad's Tumblr/Twitter have a few really angry people messaging him about how I'm a lying scumbag who needs to die in a fire. Even pointing out what happened to Batman/Bioshock has just led to "nu uhs!" by what I assume are adults who should know better.

How are people this angry. :psyduck: Are they just really angry that their maxed out Dark Souls PC saves from launch are going to get wiped, and trying to plug their ears and yell or something?

It's baffling because I've never seen the GB community this riled up over something so trivial. So what if I'm wrong and Namco manages to patch it in such a way that the saves are saved. Then everyone was worried for no reason, and a few people hold off on playing the game/burn through the game before July. It's not like if I'm wrong Dark Souls 2 never gets released on PC or something.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Back in 98 when I got MGS I played through it at least 5 times. Probably more than that. I didn't think it was too short!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Game length is a stupid metric to care about unless a game really starts dragging and wears out its welcome or just suddenly ends.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I hate it when modern games are over eight hours tops. I realize I'm part of the problem.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Rookersh posted:

Man, what is going on.

Told Brad that Dark Souls would be getting patched on PC dropping GFWL ( according to Namco Bandai themselves through Joystiq ). When this happened to Batman/Bioshock all previous saves were erased/corrupted, and even using the save editor some guy whipped up leads to the saves getting recorrupted down the road. It's a lovely situation that should probably get some airtime, so I figured it'd be good for Brad/GB to know.

This has led to me getting tons of really angry PMs by people screaming I'm discouraging people from playing the best game ever, am a total liar, and how do I know the saves won't work. Brad's Tumblr/Twitter have a few really angry people messaging him about how I'm a lying scumbag who needs to die in a fire. Even pointing out what happened to Batman/Bioshock has just led to "nu uhs!" by what I assume are adults who should know better.

How are people this angry. :psyduck: Are they just really angry that their maxed out Dark Souls PC saves from launch are going to get wiped, and trying to plug their ears and yell or something?

It's baffling because I've never seen the GB community this riled up over something so trivial. So what if I'm wrong and Namco manages to patch it in such a way that the saves are saved. Then everyone was worried for no reason, and a few people hold off on playing the game/burn through the game before July. It's not like if I'm wrong Dark Souls 2 never gets released on PC or something.

Barons is gonna beat you up dark souls hater

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Even pointing out what happened to Batman/Bioshock has just led to "nu uhs!" by what I assume are adults who should know better.

I never had a problem with my self-edited Batman AC save after probably 30 hours, Batman AA seemed to convert fine and 2K themselves resolved Bioshock. All of them were really minor compatability issues because there's nothing that special about GFWL save games. It's crazy that people are getting angry but I'd love to know where you're coming from with this.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
People on the Internet's obsession with seeing that other people play dark souls is pretty much like the evil cult disc and hoop game from that one episode of star trek. Both in their uniform creepy insistence and in the incomprehensible love for what looks like a bad game from a hundred years ago.

I'm rooting for Jeff Gerstmann to never get caught and to keep on crawling through those Jeffries tubes. Big Jeffries tubes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Authorman posted:

People on the Internet's obsession with seeing that other people play dark souls is pretty much like the evil cult disc and hoop game from that one episode of star trek. Both in their uniform creepy insistence and in the incomprehensible love for what looks like a bad game from a hundred years ago.

I'm rooting for Jeff Gerstmann to never get caught and to keep on crawling through those Jeffries tubes. Big Jeffries tubes.

Dark Souls is weird. I get WHY people like it, and I do like the lore but the whole thing is just absolutely unfun to actually play. Like, the actual gameplay of moving your man around and swinging your sword feels just not right to me and this is from someone who actually enjoys Monster Hunter from time to time so it's not the 'genre' for lack of a better term.

I just prefer my action games more...fast and controllable like DMC/Bayonetta/Mega Man Zero than slow and deliberate like Dark/Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Authorman posted:

People on the Internet's obsession with seeing that other people play dark souls is pretty much like the evil cult disc and hoop game from that one episode of star trek.

Google Glass will finally make this a reality.

• Locked thread