Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FordPRefectLL posted:

My favorite was Best Served Cold. I liked the Heroes and didn't enjoy Red Country because my favorite character acted like a shithead the entire book.

He was just doing what he does best. The Bloody Nine plays no favorites, and makes no exceptions. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I'm pretty sure he meant Cosca.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I did mean Cosca. It is the first time the heroes are on the other side of Cosca's bs and it is pretty terrible.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's completely in keeping with Abercrombie. Mercenaries waging a war of terror will do terrible things, and need to be terrible people to do them. No amount of 'oh but he's charismatic and usually on our side!' gets them out of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really liked that he did that with both Logan and Cosca. Pitting both their worst aspects against our two primary protagonists.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think The Heroes is the better book, but I enjoyed Red Country more. Just to muddy things up a bit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Being drunk all the time makes you do poo poo things. I've had my brushes with alcoholism so I know. When you're as hardcore a drunk as Cosca, weeeelll... You'll end up lurching from terrible mental state to terrible mental state, and will probably do some bad things.

I really liked seeing Logen do his thing in Red Country, even if he was a monster.. The part where he was throwing severed body parts of a building of the dozen people he'd murdered was loving cool, even though I know it was meant to be horrifying. And we will never know which parts were the Bloody Nine and which were him (I still subscribe to the theory the Nine is a spirit of some kind).

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm firmly in the Red Country camp. Honestly I've liked each subsequent book better than the last with the exception of Best Served Cold.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I would say that my favorite work by Abercrombie would be the original trilogy as a whole, followed closely by Best Served Cold with Red Country and The Heroes being tied for a very close third. I actually really loved the first half of Red Country and would rank it first if the rest of the book had followed the same style, but the bizarre turn the story took after the discovery of who took the children seemed like a really bad creative decision.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 18, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr.48 posted:

I would say that my favorite work by Abercrombie would be the original trilogy as a whole, followed closely by Best Served Cold with Red Country and The Heroes being tied for a very close third. I actually really loved the first half of Red Country and would rank it first if the rest of the book had followed the same style, but the bizarre turn the story took after the discovery of who took the children seemed like a really bad creative decision.

Read more Louis L'amour. Red Country follows the Western tropes to a goddamn T.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
Favorite book is definitely Best Served Cold.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I liked the trilogy the most followed very closely by Heroes then Red Country and Best Served Cold lagging quite a bit at last. I just didn't like the characters in BSC that much and had to kind of force myself through it. Not terrible, Abercrombie's better than that, but it didn't grab me in the same way. Someone earlier in this thread said that if you like the style of the novel you'll prefer that novel, i.e. BSC is a revenge story, Red Country a Western and The Heroes a war story. I'm not certain to what extent I agree with that, but then again I don't read that many novels in those genres.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The heroes all the way!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm in the camp for The Heroes. It was awesome, pure distilled Abercrombie writing about utter bastards getting their faces cleaved in by blades. Bastard wizards playing their own game and using kings as pawns.

Red Country was pretty good but hey, I just like Heroes better.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I'd definitely rank Heroes as his best yet, with before they are hanged as a close runner up.

I could read an entire book just about Whirrun of Bligh

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Favorite book is definitely Best Served Cold.
Yep, I'll add another voice to this camp as well. I recognize that Abercrombie's skill as a writer gets better and better with each book, but from a pure story perspective, Best Served Cold is my favorite and it's going to be very hard to top it. I love First Law. I love the Heroes. I love Red Country. But Best Served Cold is just my favorite, being honest.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

BSC really made me hate the main character but not in a way that made me quit reading and I love it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Why did Monza have to goon out about mending fences with Shivers like that? :( I was really frustrated by that and still really liked that book, I definitely agree with you. It is tough to say if it is better than The Heroes in my eyes, I didn't like Gorst but ended up liking Calder of all characters? I never thought I'd see him redeemed. (Frankly him killing the weakest dude in the trilogy didn't really fit with his character in Heroes.)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yes, outside of the trilogy, I enjoyed Best Served Cold the most. Castor Morveer was probably my favorite character. I loved the contrast between his own narrative, and other's views of him.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
The Heroes is my favorite. I like war stories and Gorst.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I thought I would like Gorst from the earlier books but by the end of the Heroes I actually hated everytime one of his view point sections came around. I don't know why, I guess the constant goony goon-ness of his inner monologue just grated on my nerves.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I liked Gorst because he's such a goon. Different strokes I guess.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Jeffrey posted:

Why did Monza have to goon out about mending fences with Shivers like that? :( I was really frustrated by that and still really liked that book, I definitely agree with you.
For me, that was all about her guilt. Increasingly throughout the book, Monza's desire for revenge has bigger and bigger affects on innocent people to the point where she starts to regret going down that path in the first place. She turns her back on Shivers because she can't stand to face him. Every time she looks at him, his face is a mirror reflecting her failures and how everything that happened to him is her fault. Shivers starts the book wanting to turn away from violence and be a good person and ends up a disfigured sociopath. Monza can't live with that, knowing it's all on her. So she blocks him out. It's cruel and it's unfair-- and she even knows that herself.

I was really disappointed in her too. But I get it. It made perfect sense to me why she would respond that way. I still like her, but I was definitely disgusted with her behavior there as well. It's one area where she acts like a total and complete coward and it's pretty ugly for her. But she herself wouldn't deny that either.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

UncleMonkey posted:

For me, that was all about her guilt. Increasingly throughout the book, Monza's desire for revenge has bigger and bigger affects on innocent people to the point where she starts to regret going down that path in the first place. She turns her back on Shivers because she can't stand to face him. Every time she looks at him, his face is a mirror reflecting her failures and how everything that happened to him is her fault. Shivers starts the book wanting to turn away from violence and be a good person and ends up a disfigured sociopath. Monza can't live with that, knowing it's all on her. So she blocks him out. It's cruel and it's unfair-- and she even knows that herself.

I was really disappointed in her too. But I get it. It made perfect sense to me why she would respond that way. I still like her, but I was definitely disgusted with her behavior there as well. It's one area where she acts like a total and complete coward and it's pretty ugly for her. But she herself wouldn't deny that either.

That's really spot on, and I would add that there's some weirdness tied up there with Shivers and Benna, her guilt over her brother's death, her attempt to turn Shivers into Benna, and her finally facing what a piece of poo poo Benna was.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was kind of rooting for Gorst to stay in the North, personally. Sure, he might get stuck with the name of Squeaker, but nobody's going to loving laugh at it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even without his creepy obsession, Gorst was basically a wealthy, high ranked officer among a bunch of cannon fodder conscripts and abused peasants. So naturally he spent his time whining about how how awful it was for him, and how terrible it is to be punished for something that wasn't his fault. What's that, Gorst, it was your fault after all? :suicide:. I spent the whole book hoping he'd bite it.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

Even without his creepy obsession, Gorst was basically a wealthy, high ranked officer among a bunch of cannon fodder conscripts and abused peasants. So naturally he spent his time whining about how how awful it was for him, and how terrible it is to be punished for something that wasn't his fault. What's that, Gorst, it was your fault after all? :suicide:. I spent the whole book hoping he'd bite it.

Instead the inventor of the sandwich bought it :(

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
One thing I liked about Best Served Cold was that it ended on a good note, or at least as good a note as one gets in Joe Abercrombies world. Monza is shaping up to be a just and competent leader, neither Bayaz or Khalul won control over yet another pawn in their pointless feud. Shivers was hosed up but you can't win everything.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Giodo! posted:

Instead the inventor of the sandwich bought it :(

Cheese trap. :black101:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Strategic Tea posted:

I liked reading about a guy who enjoyed fighting. It gave a manic glee to the battle scenes.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

AStrangeDuelist posted:

One thing I liked about Best Served Cold was that it ended on a good note, or at least as good a note as one gets in Joe Abercrombies world. Monza is shaping up to be a just and competent leader, neither Bayaz or Khalul won control over yet another pawn in their pointless feud. Shivers was hosed up but you can't win everything.

From another perspective, she is starting anew the chain of petty wars that tore Styria apart in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smiling Knight posted:

From another perspective, she is starting anew the chain of petty wars that tore Styria apart in the first place.
Yeah and they are still ongoing as of red country where they got news of her conquering Sipani (who were neutral in orso's war).

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I really want a short story or something about the earlier adventures of Wirrun of Bligh

‘They call you Cracknut for the same reason they gave Cracknut Leef the name,’ and Wonderful tapped at the side of her shaved head. ‘Because it’s widely assumed your nut’s cracked.’
‘They do?’ Whirrun frowned. ‘Oh, that’s less complimentary, the fuckers. I’ll have to have words next time I hear that. You’ve completely bloody spoiled it for me!”

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Megadyptes posted:

I really want a short story or something about the earlier adventures of Wirrun of Bligh

I would read the poo poo out of that story. He was definitely my favourite character in The Heroes. He does appear in The Fool Jobs short story, I guess.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
The trilogy had the most interesting setting. The Heroes had the best plot. Red Country had the most nuanced characters. Well, peace.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

I really liked seeing Logen do his thing in Red Country, even if he was a monster.. The part where he was throwing severed body parts of a building of the dozen people he'd murdered was loving cool, even though I know it was meant to be horrifying. And we will never know which parts were the Bloody Nine and which were him (I still subscribe to the theory the Nine is a spirit of some kind).

And I still subscribe to the theory that Logen is an enormous badass, no spirit demons required. The Bloody Nine never performs anything overtly superhuman, he's just an utter oval office who lets out his inner rear end in a top hat sometimes. Otherwise none of the Named Men he dueled in the circle would've been shown any mercy. :colbert:

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
What I really liked is how Abercrombie was able to actually write some interesting female characters. Monza and Shy are extremely well written and memorable, and this was an improvement over the women portrayed in the First Law Trilogy. Not that the women in the first trilogy were at Rothfuss levels or anything, but they weren't as complex.

Something else I loved in Red Country is (ending spoilers) How Shivers is tracking Logen the entire book to take his revenge. Then at the end he is just like...gently caress it. And walks off into the sunset.

I guess you can easily argue both ways about Logen. Clearly he has some supernatural ability in that he can talk to spirits. So it isn't hard to imagine that ability comes with the burden / benefit of being possessed occasionally or something. His strength and endurance could be supernatural, or maybe not. Abercrombie doesn't spell it out for the reader, which is one of the reasons the books are so good in my opinion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Did Shivers say he still was looking for revenge? He seemed pretty over his beef with Logen, like he was just there because Calder sent him and it wasn't personal any more. Maybe I'm not remembering things though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

One of my favorite things is that magic is never spelled out. It isn't so codified that it has become a science in its own right, and by Red Country it seems that Bayaz has spent less time using magic and more time mining through his knowledge of Kanedias's techniques to force the Union into an industrial revolution. I think Khalul was doing the same thing in the Gurkish Empire, just not as well as Bayaz at this point.

On the subject of female characters, you can't forget Finree. Hoping she's in the next trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey posted:

Did Shivers say he still was looking for revenge? He seemed pretty over his beef with Logen, like he was just there because Calder sent him and it wasn't personal any more. Maybe I'm not remembering things though.

It was kind of the done thing to pursue it even though he hated his brother because that's how things work in the North.

Some of the things Logen does seem pretty close to superhuman. He's nowhere near an Eater in physical prowess but the amount of punishment he can take and dish out is impressive.

Regarding usage of magic and technology... Magic has been waning and technology appears to be ascendant but I cannot imagine the next trilogy won't deal to some degree with the demon entities. If it got to the point where the magic Bayaz uses had atrophied so much he couldn't maintain his immortality I imagine he'd start loving around with the other side some more. Or he'd become an Eater...