Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Roland Jones posted:

Yes. YouTube and some other websites were on there as well. It was posted on YouTube though, unless you guys found his Tumblr and never told me.

Then again some other tropers have also declared war on SA, so... Really it could have been any number of people whose words you read.

Does anyone have the rant? I remember it being a big tl;dr thing, rather than a video post, unless that was a transcription.

Runcible Cat posted:

Excel Saga isn't in the least meant to be taken seriously, and the particular episode that scene's in even less so. But the combination of loli and tits invokes tropers faster than looking in your mirror and chanting "Fast Eddie!" 5 times, so I bet that's the only scene from it they know.

Yeah, Excel Saga's from the Monty Python school of absurd/surreal comedy, only Japan. I am legitimately confused as to how anyone could see that and think 'yes, this is the kind of thing I want to spend the evening masturbating to'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Does anyone have the rant? I remember it being a big tl;dr thing, rather than a video post, unless that was a transcription.

Yeah, Excel Saga's from the Monty Python school of absurd/surreal comedy, only Japan. I am legitimately confused as to how anyone could see that and think 'yes, this is the kind of thing I want to spend the evening masturbating to'.

You're saying jerking it to Graham Chapman's rotten corpse ISN'T the sexiest thing in the world?

poo poo.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair, that episode of Excel Saga was trying to be creepy and gross as poo poo and succeeded. It's pretty awful even if you're not a :tvtropes:lord who's actually totally down with 6 year olds sporting G-cups.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HMS Boromir posted:

To be fair, that episode of Excel Saga was trying to be creepy and gross as poo poo and succeeded. It's pretty awful even if you're not a :tvtropes:lord who's actually totally down with 6 year olds sporting G-cups.

IIRC it was made to break literally every Japanese broadcast limitation, includinbeing literally one minute longer than the maximum broadcast time.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC it was made to break literally every Japanese broadcast limitation, includinbeing literally one minute longer than the maximum broadcast time.

Which worked, it wasn't aired, and was able to be promoted as a DVD exclusive. Doesn't make any difference to American viewers who would have seen it on DVD only anyway.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Uh. Kind of? I mean, they're both surrealist, but I can't think of a more dissimilar thing to compare it to than Monty Python. The Pythons' humor was equal parts silly and dry, a lot of "completely shuffling off your dignity in a dignified way" nonsense.

Nabeshin (the guy who directed Excel Saga and many comedies like it,) has a compleeeetely different sense of humor, maybe more akin to...Tom Green or something. I'm not super-familiar with modern-day working comedians, but think of someone whose schtick is to be as foul, off-putting and yet also nonsensical as possible, actively provoking his audience/victims with intentionally obnoxious, screamy nonsense. That's Nabeshin.

:goonsay:

I only mention this in case someone was considering checking it out based on the fond goon memories in here and the comparison to Python. Nabeshin can be funny...sometimes...(okay, for me, only in Nerima Daikon Brothers,) but for the most part, I find his stuff, including Excel Saga, unwatchable. The only part of it I found consistently funny was Pedro and then I realized that part's fairly racist, so uh...yyyyyeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the only part of that series I've seen was the "Explosions fix everything!" scene from the last episode. I think I'm good if I don't watch anymore.

Moving on...
Write What You Know.

Write What You Know posted:

The easiest character to write is one who comes premade.
Better start building them lego brick tropes into characters, then!
The Real Life Section is larger than anything else. Thankfully no Fanfiction section.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jay O posted:

but think of someone whose schtick is to be as foul, off-putting and yet also nonsensical as possible, actively provoking his audience/victims with intentionally obnoxious, screamy nonsense.
Gilbert Gottfried?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is all I know about Excel Saga, and I'm OK with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x39Jp-z61M

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

Rowling has also stated that the character of Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts, was based (at least partially) on her old chemistry teacher, John Nettleship. Understandably, Nettleship wasn't too happy when he found out. But at least he can take comfort in the knowledge that just about any of Snape's copious supply of fangirls would gladly throw themselves at him if they ever got the chance. Probably quite literally.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

John Nettleship

How is it that the made-up name for the children's book character is significantly less quaint and Dickensian than the real one?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus Christ, Ho Yay might just be the most loving infuriating trope there is in my mind. Been watching The Pacific, so I decided to see how much the Tropers could gently caress it up. I was not disappointed (read: severely disappointed that poo poo like this exists)

The Pacific YMMV Page posted:

Ho Yay: Sledge and his best friend Sidney Phillips. The homoerotic subtext between these two "best friends" is just too obvious to ignore. Their reunion in Part 5 makes it more blatant

Agreed; they laid the Ho Yay on thick in Band of Brothers with Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon, but this isn't just subtext: it's outright TEXT

Sledge/Snafu seems to be popular in fandom as well. The fact Snafu seems to have no concept of personal space when it comes to Eugene just adds fuel to the fire

Hello, the oh-so-wonderful scene with the letter about Sledge's dog makes this practically canon.

Snafu's fixation on Sledge in general, though it comes off as a bit one-sided.

Strangely enough, Ack-Ack/Hillybilly. They have such little screen time together, yet a good part of the fandom still ships them.

Probably has something to do with the fact that every time they're on screen they're together, and Ack-Ack's seemingly heartbroken reaction to Hillbilly's death.

Leckie/Hoosier has a solid fanbase as well, mostly because of Leckie's (sarcastic) declaration of wanting Hoosier to be his date if they ever have a fancy dress ball on the island, and Hoosier's amiable response

Leave it to tropers to start shipping characters from one of the most unpleasant to watch War dramas of all time. God loving dammit, I get that there's a line between a television series and reality, but for gently caress's sake do you think that these assholes could show a little restraint once in a while?

"Funny" The Pacific posted:

Leckie: "You know why I fought? [beat] Television." (Television links to the TvTropes homepage)

gently caress YOU.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Their treatment of women suddenly becomes so much easier to understand when you realize that they are already consider two male characters who have a perfectly normal friendship to be loving. It should be no surprise that, to them, this means any women who shows even the least bit of interest is madly in love with them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's a fandom thing in general, though. Any two male characters interacting? They're hard gay for each other and any woman who gets in the way is a vicious, evil whore. Just look at Supernatural and the way the female fanbase treats any woman on the show.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's a fandom thing in general, though. Any two male characters interacting? They're hard gay for each other and any woman who gets in the way is a vicious, evil whore. Just look at Supernatural and the way the female fanbase treats any woman on the show.
Supernatural also has the advantage of being about two brothers, so all the incest weirdos get to come out and play in the daylight.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Froghammer posted:

Supernatural also has the advantage of being about two brothers, so all the incest weirdos get to come out and play in the daylight.

Before I watched Supernatural, I was aware of the fandom's reputation, and like a naive little baby I assumed that there must be something they were picking up on, some subtext that would lead them to think there's a chance these two characters might be loving, or even that the actors might be. Then I watched it. Nope! Not a thing. Not a single loving thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HopperUK posted:

Before I watched Supernatural, I was aware of the fandom's reputation, and like a naive little baby I assumed that there must be something they were picking up on, some subtext that would lead them to think there's a chance these two characters might be loving, or even that the actors might be. Then I watched it. Nope! Not a thing. Not a single loving thing.

Most of the 'Wincest' fanbase appears to be pretty loving lonely people, and only children to boot. Supernatural does a decent job at having a brotherly relationship between the two leads, but because these people don't know what that looks like, they jump t what they think it looks like, which is 'boning behind the scenes'.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Cleretic posted:

Most of the 'Wincest' fanbase appears to be pretty loving lonely people, and only children to boot. Supernatural does a decent job at having a brotherly relationship between the two leads, but because these people don't know what that looks like, they jump t what they think it looks like, which is 'boning behind the scenes'.

People who have never been loved mistake all kinds of love for romantic love. :smith:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

HopperUK posted:

Never assume that shippers are picking up on some obvious subtext in media. The brother and sister from Wizards of Waverly Place hugged and Tropers put up an entry about how they were loving.

For those that didn't have a child, niece or nephew during the show. It's a Disney Channel sitcom about 12 year old wizard kids.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

sweeperbravo posted:

People who have never been loved mistake all kinds of love for romantic love. :smith:

It may be anecdotal, but from talking to people who have incest fantasies, they tend to be the only child in their family.

Let's look at One Word Title, which is a list of works that have one word as their title.

One Word Title/Anime and Manga posted:

Of the 25 episodes of Saki, 17 fit this: "Encounter", "Battle", "Confrontation", "Tradition", "Beginner", "Prank", "Awakening", "Existance", "Demon", "Conspiracy", "Nightmare", "Link", "Friends", "Sisters", "Promise", "Determination", and "Nationals".

Let's take a field trip for a moment.

Manga/Saki/Laconic posted:

Lesbians playing superpowered mahjong.

Manga/Saki posted:

Vapor Wear: Shots of Nodoka's wet uniform scene from the first episode made the fans theorize that Nodoka and maybe the other girls did not wear any lingerie.
Hajime's casual clothing pretty much excludes the possibility of her wearing underwear.

Manga/Saki posted:

Saki is in her first year of highschool.
On second thought let's not take a field trip.

One Word Title/Fanfic posted:

A good amount of Calvin & Hobbes: The Series' episode titles, especially in Season 4:

"Chains"
"Hypercube"
"Surge"
"Invasion"
"Pug" (the pug's real name is Tug)
"Hero"
"Repeat"
"Remember"
"Karma"
The unused ideas chapter includes several more, such as "Cowpokes", "Toboggan", "Claustrophobia", "Monophobia", "Alternate", and "Freudian".

Yep calvin and hobbes fanfic TV show episode titles :psyduck:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

Let's look at One Word Title, which is a list of works that have one word as their title.
I have a ton of CDs, and every once in a while I like to reorganize them, by year, act, genre, etc. These people want to do that, and just that, with every goddamn thing, and according to the most worthless, arbitrary categories possible. Why? :gonk:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 18, 2014

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

HopperUK posted:

Nope! Not a thing. Not a single loving thing.

One thing actually. They're both attractive men by general standards. Considering humanity in general, that's all that's needed.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I have a ton of CDs, and every once in a while I like to reorganize them, by year, act, genre, etc. These people want to do that, and just that, with every goddamn thing, and according to the most worthless, arbitrary categories possible. Why? :gonk:

I don't know if there's a straight answer to it, but here are the three conclusions I've drawn:

(A) They're the most boring people in the world (or are achieving for that)
(B) They think science, logic, and order is the answer to everything
(C) They're the product of a clutch cargo culture (or whatever it's called when you try to learn about art out of context)

Now, the main question is, "Is there any way someone like this can be rehabilitated, or are they doomed to be like this forever?" I have a sister who's showing signs. She says she's never been on TVTropes, but she loves That Guy With The Glasses, so I figure that's close enough. What's worse, I foolishly told her that I needed her help in screenwriting and she told me to be more like Joss Whedon (fortunately, I contacted my old screenwriting teacher from college and she agreed to help me). I think my sister may be a lost cause, but I'm holding out hope that she's just "at risk."

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 18, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
You could tell her that yeah some of the site is interesting stuff like the article on Easter Eggs in video games, but it doesn't make up for the ridiculous/pervy/insane poo poo Tropers are known to do. A glance at the creepy fetishes, rampant sexualization of children and works designed for children, a harsh discouragement of literary analysis in favor of more lists of different types of rape, and the monumental obsession with mediocre works at the expense of great ones (pedo fanfiction and furry webcomics get just as much or more screen time as Leo Tolstoy?) should drive reasonable people away.

The last bit being key. This is assuming that your sister is reasonable.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
You can grow out of it. I was fascinated by the wiki-side of Tropes in high school, and then my first two years of college I was active on the forums, but I wasn't turtly enough for the turtle club and had a hard time connecting with anyone there, however desperately I tried at the time (though I was definitely not going to put my picture on there or anything, at least I had that much sense).

I broke my addiction when I got sick and tired of getting angry over how stupid people were being there when debates would come up on *wildly divisive and ambiguous issues* like, you know, rape, pedophilia, racism, and sexism :biotruths:. I forbade myself from going to the site because I knew in my mind that it was futile, however badly my heart wanted to "help" these misguided fools. I realized that a very large number of the posting volume there is by people who are either literal or mental high schoolers, and would perpetually remain so due to the type of people the site attracts. I also had an advantage in that I was never an anime.

Your sister might escape unscathed after a period of troping. It depends on how old she is, whether she's depressed, and importantly whether she has real friends in real life who aren't a little off the deep end. I think most people grow out of it and move onto more stimulating forms of nerdry, the big-name Tropers that come up often in this thread being outliers to this statistic.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Penny Paper posted:

(C) They're the product of a clutch cargo culture (or whatever it's called when you try to learn about art out of context)

You're looking for the phrase "cargo cult," but Clutch Cargo culture is much funnier.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

echopapa posted:

You're looking for the phrase "cargo cult," but Clutch Cargo culture is much funnier.

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

mods rename me Clutch Cargo Culture tia

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Excel Saga is like the Tim and Eric of Anime. It's not really very funny unless you're high, but in a small way I'm glad someone is making fun of those things on principle.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Djeser posted:

Yep calvin and hobbes fanfic TV show episode titles :psyduck:

That loving fan-series has quotes scattered all over the site and I'm convinced that they're all being edited in by the same obsessed guy because they're so bad.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Odd confessions posted:

Well, this one's kind of cheesy. ^_^;;

In high school, one of my chums told us this story about a girl who's parents were so strict their house was surrounded by 10-foot-walls. In my teenage dumbness, for lack of a better word, I wanted to find her and rescue her and make her my girlfriend. And then get a pet wolf to guard our house. Then I found out it was an urban legend. >< ^_^;;

Odd confessions posted:

Odd confession time - I want to have cat ears on my head so I can emote in a subtle manner with them.

Odd confessions posted:

Oh, Internet feminists...I really can't stand them. Some of them do legitimately points out important arguments in logical and civil manner. More often than not, though, the ones I've encountered, both in and out of this site tend to be overly touchy. Almost as bad as grammar Nazis.

There are 1867 pages in this thread.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

Now, the main question is, "Is there any way someone like this can be rehabilitated, or are they doomed to be like this forever?" I have a sister who's showing signs. She says she's never been on TVTropes, but she loves That Guy With The Glasses, so I figure that's close enough. What's worse, I foolishly told her that I needed her help in screenwriting and she told me to be more like Joss Whedon (fortunately, I contacted my old screenwriting teacher from college and she agreed to help me). I think my sister may be a lost cause, but I'm holding out hope that she's just "at risk."

How about you don't concern yourself with the internet habits of your sister you loving weirdo

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 19, 2014

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Lol, you sister like Joss Whedon and tgwtg and you complain about it on somethingawful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
liking joss whedon is a lot more socially acceptable than posting on something awful dot com

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
socially acceptable =/= acceptable taste where Joss Whedon is concerned.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Since when is it not socially acceptable to like Joss Whedon? People will think you're nerdy, but otherwise?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Morkyz posted:

Since when is it not socially acceptable to like Joss Whedon? People will think you're nerdy, but otherwise?

Naw, that's what I was saying, it's perfectly socially acceptable to like Joss Whedon, it's just uh...not the acme of great writing sci fi or otherwise, that fella's oeuvre. :v:

(what I'm saying is joss whedon sucks, ignore me)

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
What I'm saying is: people on the internet act like the universe is consumed in some great culture war over nerd stuff, but irl almost no one cares what media you like unless they like it too.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
For some, including me, Joss Whedon's whole "All dialogue is trading snarky one liners" and "self-aware/meta = quality" wore thin a long loving time ago. Also Dollhouse.

Anyone who calls liking/not liking Whedon a culture war is a giant idiot though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Liking Joss Whedon is a character flaw but not exactly worth staging an intervention over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Fluffy Pony

quote:

All Crimes Are Equal: Who's delivering the punishment usually matters a lot more than whatever the fluffy did.
  • Hugboxer: Pooped on the floor, threw a tantrum, broke a priceless heirloom? Spanking, time in the Sorry Box, loss of toys. Rarely more than that.
  • Abuser: Turning into a brat? Death. Poop on the ground? Death. Don't finish your food? Amputation (or death if you can't amputate any more.)
  • Shelter worker: As fluffy shelters are for-profit, you'll probably be killed if you're not sellable.

• Locked thread