Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
Throwing my knowledge into the ring. Finished the true ending mid-last year, and Persona in general ended up being one of my favorite series in recent years; namely its character development, which I'm super happy is still being discussed here.

Rei_ posted:

So I'm into... November, I think? I'm at Heaven but my courage hasn't been high enough to start hanging out with Naoto yet, or my Understanding high enough to do the Tower Arcana... Which I think I'll need to finish the Empress Arcana's last rank. Do I still have time for all of this or am I hosed? I really just wanted to finish that god drat beef bowl.

Well you're going to need max Courage anyway to finish the bowl, but Golden has more playable days in the year compared to the original. I'd get it maxed anyway and start Naoto's SL ASAP, and especially see if you can fuse together a Fortune Persona to get SL bonuses; you really don't have a whole bunch of time to finish Naoto's SL unless you get started on it decently quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You don't need any gender normative whatevers to cringe at the bath scenes.

Rei_ posted:

So I'm into... November, I think? I'm at Heaven but my courage hasn't been high enough to start hanging out with Naoto yet, or my Understanding high enough to do the Tower Arcana... Which I think I'll need to finish the Empress Arcana's last rank. Do I still have time for all of this or am I hosed? I really just wanted to finish that god drat beef bowl.

You've got another seven weeks or so. Whether that's enough time depends on how soon you can max Courage and Understanding. You don't need any Tower ranks to complete Empress, as long as you have enough patience and yens for all the necessary grinding(or Skill Cards).

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Been playing P3P lately and I have to say that, even after all the praise I've seen, it has surprised me with how great game it actually is. So many interesting plot twists, and the characters react relatively believably to them. Also every single character in the game is actually likeable in their own way. The combat system is fun, and actual persona fusing/grinding side is really engrossing. Finally there are really nice little touches like the dormitory background music slightly changing on January 1st that really add to the mood.

tl;dr: I can't believe I missed this game for this long. One of the best games ever made!

Edit: I also got P4G still waiting to be played. How could it be better still? :allears:

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 16, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Much, much better. You actually play as a band of pals, this time, instead of a group of strangers that barely want anything to do with each other. And your main character is not a creepy enabler in his social link.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Iceclaw posted:

Much, much better. You actually play as a band of pals, this time, instead of a group of strangers that barely want anything to do with each other. And your main character is not a creepy enabler in his social link.

The social links are my primary complaint about P3P, the other being something P4G spoiled me on -- being able to select Persona skills on fusion. But yeah, it really irked me that the choices that give the moist points in the SLinks were often ones that encouraged whatever self-destructive behaviour the characters were involved in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurion posted:

The social links are my primary complaint about P3P, the other being something P4G spoiled me on -- being able to select Persona skills on fusion. But yeah, it really irked me that the choices that give the moist points in the SLinks were often ones that encouraged whatever self-destructive behaviour the characters were involved in.
The S. Links of the female protag are mostly better about that, if that's any consolation. And she doesn't have some of the male protag's worst links (Moon, Magician) for that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Even if Kanji is literally just a totally straight guy trying to figure out his identity, his storyline is a "social justice thing". Homophobia and misogyny are why kids and working-class people bully and ridicule boys and men who have perceived-feminine hobbies like sewing. To discuss him and his arc without talking about the detrimental effects of homophobia on the psyches of boys and young men is to miss a really central part of what's going on with his character. It's hard to avoid it becoming a social justice topic.

I think it's much easier to talk about Naoto without talking about transphobia and transgender issues.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm on a new game plus and I forget how/when you get the bug net? I've got an itch to go fishing.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Neurion posted:

But yeah, it really irked me that the choices that give the moist points in the SLinks were often ones that encouraged whatever self-destructive behaviour the characters were involved in.

No see, he's an Accelerationist and only interested in maxing their links for power / getting into their pants.
Because that's the players only interest, you see. It's very Meta.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm on a new game plus and I forget how/when you get the bug net? I've got an itch to go fishing.

The bug-catching kid loses it on June 5. Then you can bring some fish to the ghost at night, and she'll give it to you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Even if Kanji is literally just a totally straight guy trying to figure out his identity, his storyline is a "social justice thing". Homophobia and misogyny are why kids and working-class people bully and ridicule boys and men who have perceived-feminine hobbies like sewing. To discuss him and his arc without talking about the detrimental effects of homophobia on the psyches of boys and young men is to miss a really central part of what's going on with his character. It's hard to avoid it becoming a social justice topic.

I think it's much easier to talk about Naoto without talking about transphobia and transgender issues.

I don't think anyone has suggested those things are irrelevant? What his actual sexuality is isn't terribly important or relevant to the actual narrative thrust of things, but homophobia and whatnot absolutely are given that everything in his and Naoto's SLinks is about how society perceives them and forces them to act within the constraints of those perceptions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

The bug-catching kid loses it on June 5. Then you can bring some fish to the ghost at night, and she'll give it to you.
I used to think this, but if I remember right (someone in this thread corrected me) she will still give the net to you if you talk to her at night with or without the fish. In case you never got any bugs from the kid and thus can't go fishing to get something to give to her in the first place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, if you miss the flags and don't have any fish she'll give you the net for free.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I've been playing P4G again! And I've just made it to where Kanji's first introduced. Should I still be feeling like the game hasn't picked up at all yet, or do I just not enjoy it? I mean, I still feel like the game hasn't opened up in the least and that I've not really had any opportunity to do much of, well, anything that feels worthwhile other than watch the story unfold. But I'm not really into the story so far, and nobody seems to have much depth to them yet.

So.. keep playing and be surprised soon, or give up and decide it's not for me?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

You're pretty much at the point of the game where things really pick up. After you rescue Kanji is when the game really kicks into high gear and gets really awesome, and it stays that way until the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

After Kanji is when the game opens up, yeah, but it's not going to suddenly become freeform or anything. You juggle S. Links, you fuse personas, you do dungeons, you watch cutscenes. If you aren't feeling any of that, then it just might not be your bag.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just reached the endgame and thanks to it being a second play through I unlocked the bonus boss. I was expecting it to be hard, I was not expecting it to be as brutal as it actually turns out to be.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hunt11 posted:

Just reached the endgame and thanks to it being a second play through I unlocked the bonus boss. I was expecting it to be hard, I was not expecting it to be as brutal as it actually turns out to be.

As I understand it, that boss is the one thing that's actually harder in Golden compared to vanilla P4, since they now get 2 actions per turn instead of 1, and the countdown to the "kill everything" attack hasn't been increased to compensate. If you can manage to keep Rise's once-per-battle party-wide block until that attack, that'll make things a lot easier for you.

If you're having a lot of trouble, the attack-order is fixed, so you can look it up and strategize around it if you feel it's necessary.

Malabolg
Apr 21, 2010
I love P4G, but I feel there aren't nearly enough opportunities to hit on Yosuke.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Instant Grat posted:

As I understand it, that boss is the one thing that's actually harder in Golden compared to vanilla P4, since they now get 2 actions per turn instead of 1, and the countdown to the "kill everything" attack hasn't been increased to compensate. If you can manage to keep Rise's once-per-battle party-wide block until that attack, that'll make things a lot easier for you.

You can also block it with Shield of Justice; Really Pants did it in his LP.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I've been playing through Golden and just got Rise, but I feel like I still don't really understand fusing personas. Is the point just to collect them all and fill up your compendium? Because aside from occasionally swapping one out when I needed a fire spell instead of lightning, I haven't had much need to swap personas. Maybe I should have played on hard?

Still loving the game, though. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you neglect to fuse new personas, and instead simply focus on leveling up the ones you currently have, you eventually begin to get diminishing returns on the results. Unless you are really lucky with shuffle time bonuses, powerleveling a persona who started life at level 40 up to level 50 is not going to be as powerful as a new persona who starts at 50.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel a little weird about how often Yosuke is trying to rope the protagonist into some sort of babe-hunt scheme, especially if you're already dating someone by then. No Yosuke, we don't need a motorcycle to get chicks. You do. Also, buying swimsuits for other people like that is maybe a little creepy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The main benefit of Fusion is less grinding. Fused Personas get bonus XP based on how many ranks you have in their associated Social Link. A completed link can give new fusions enough XP for all but one of their skills.

There are also a lot of Personas that you can't get through Shuffle Time. The Aeon and Jester sets are Fusion-only, as are the very powerful Judgement Personas. If you just got Rise, you also just unlocked a pretty strong set of special Fusions as well.

There's the Fusion Forecast, too. Fusion can have a bunch of different benefits.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 19, 2014

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Really Pants posted:

There are also a lot of Personas that you can't get through Shuffle Time. The Aeon and Jester sets are Fusion-only, as are the very powerful Judgement Personas. If you just got Rise, you also just unlocked a pretty strong set of special Fusions as well.

• Black Frost

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Ah, so it's important not only to fuse new personas, but to re-fuse existing personas that you use frequently, since they'll be more powerful. Was that ever explained in the fusion tutorials? In general, I feel like there's a lot of mystery surrounding fusion that I'm not getting.

Also, most of the more powerful personas that I can make via triple and quad fusions are like 20 levels above me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BeanBandit posted:

Ah, so it's important not only to fuse new personas, but to re-fuse existing personas that you use frequently, since they'll be more powerful. Was that ever explained in the fusion tutorials? In general, I feel like there's a lot of mystery surrounding fusion that I'm not getting.

Also, most of the more powerful personas that I can make via triple and quad fusions are like 20 levels above me.

Re-fusing persona you already use would not make them more powerful unless you're putting new skills on them. Basically, don't worry about it, just fuse and try to keep a good spread of skills and you'll be good.

FEdit: Also the triple fusion thing is normal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Ah, so it's important not only to fuse new personas, but to re-fuse existing personas that you use frequently, since they'll be more powerful.

You don't really have to re-fuse Personas unless you want to change their skills. Just register them when they've learned all their skills and fuse them when you start finding better ones.

quote:

If you've beaten Rise's dungeon, you should be getting close to Black Frost's level. That'll be plenty to start with.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 19, 2014

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
All right, it makes a bit more sense now. Thanks for all the advice. :)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

The S. Links of the female protag are mostly better about that, if that's any consolation. And she doesn't have some of the male protag's worst links (Moon, Magician) for that.

She has the worst social link in the game though.... Other then that though, yeah, I think FMC s.links are better structured. Also, the character herself is a lot less depressing then male MC, whether good or bad depends on the outlook, but I liked it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Really Pants posted:

If you've beaten Rise's dungeon, you should be getting close to Black Frost's level. That'll be plenty to start with.

How long is Black Frost good? I'm into Marie's dungeon and am still using him regularly, and am having absolutely no issues, other than just the weirdness of that dungeon (not really issues, just unlike anything else up until that).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He's pretty much usable throughout the entire game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

You're pretty much at the point of the game where things really pick up. After you rescue Kanji is when the game really kicks into high gear and gets really awesome, and it stays that way until the end.

Endorph posted:

After Kanji is when the game opens up, yeah, but it's not going to suddenly become freeform or anything. You juggle S. Links, you fuse personas, you do dungeons, you watch cutscenes. If you aren't feeling any of that, then it just might not be your bag.

Thanks! I'll keep going, I really do wanna like this game. It's so lovely and well-made that I was honestly kinda disappointed I wasn't enjoying it, and that's coming from someone who's pretty quick to ditch a game if it slows down for a second.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nate RFB posted:

He's pretty much usable throughout the entire game.
Yep. I mean, by end-game he won't be your "best at everything" Persona so much as "Kill it with magic" Persona, but he's never not useful. Especially if you got lucky and your King Frost ended up with Invigorate 2, Mazio and a Mabufu that got upped to Bufudyne by an Arcana. :allears:

Personally considering playing through again in either an Izanagi-only run (that is, fusing new ones as I go), or a "no switching Personas during battle" run for a slightly easier one. I feel like the former would have to be NG+, because there's just no way to get it done without insane grinding otherwise. The latter would be a really fun exercise in fusing Personas for specific tasks, though.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So I completely forgot about maxing Maries social link I can still get the true ending right?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kuai posted:

So I completely forgot about maxing Maries social link I can still get the true ending right?

Yeah, all Marie's Social Link lets you get is the epilogue.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine once you get past the two biggest roadblocks (Shadow Yukiko/Kanji) then an Izanagi-only run seems pretty feasible. Shadow Yukiko being weak to Bufu really helps speeds things along, since you can just chuck Ice Cubes at her.

If you want to make things even harder, restrict the party members to only use Attack, Items and Persona abilities that they get from Social Links and bike dates. So Yukiko pretty much loses... everything except Mudo(on) and Amrita.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you want to make things even harder, restrict the party members to only use Attack, Items and Persona abilities that they get from Social Links and bike dates. So Yukiko pretty much loses... everything except Mudo(on) and Amrita.
That would be a bit TOO absurd, I think.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Leper Colon V posted:

That would be a bit TOO absurd, I think.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with Izanagi-only, but I've done it - the opening is really difficult since Yosuke can't heal you with Dia, but again once you push past Shadow Kanji it gets slightly better (or even before if you get Yosuke to learn Diarama). Yukiko's a little shafted but at least she gets Mudo, whereas Teddie is near useless save for Samarecarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I just finished this up tonight, and am curious about something...

I'm kinda not ready for Persona to not be part of my life after spending 70 hours of the past month playing this game. I could obviously jump straight into NG+, but the most enticing option seems to be picking up P4 Arena and playing through the story stuff in that.

I've got P3 FES on my PS3, and a save about 15 hours in. I was enjoying it, but just got distracted by other things and never got back to it. So, my question is, would I be ruining P3 for myself by going straight into P4 Arena? I know P3 characters are in it, and I bet I'd recognize some from my short time with it, but not sure if I'd be spoiled to the point of knowing what's going to happen in P3 before it does.

And I guess one other question... I know there's some sort of sequel/new version of P4A coming out at some point. Is it new story stuff, or just a Street Fighter-style "sequel" with a few new characters, moves, etc...?

• Locked thread