Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Niwrad posted:

It's a reality show with people playing to the cameras and being as extreme as they can.

Oh yeah, I don't think all youth football programs are anything like that (heck, I've known plenty of kids who play football and at least a handful of people who have coached youth teams, so I know it's not). But nonetheless, I stand by my reaction to those clips, even if they're the worst they found in their whole time filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Niwrad posted:

I don't know if it is fair though. You had a voter say he left names off so he didn't have to sit through a long ceremony. If you're pulling ballots because you don't like what they do with it, there should be a lot of others who lose theirs too.

I didn't say it was fair, I said it was appropriate. And I didn't defend the actions of other voters.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

OrangeKing posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think all youth football programs are anything like that (heck, I've known plenty of kids who play football and at least a handful of people who have coached youth teams, so I know it's not). But nonetheless, I stand by my reaction to those clips, even if they're the worst they found in their whole time filming.

I think it's far more likely the whole thing is scripted, just like almost every other 'reality' show. Still, it's sick that people want to see a scripted 'reality' show about kids trying to kill each other and adults screaming at kids to try to kill other kids.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

toadee posted:

I think it's far more likely the whole thing is scripted, just like almost every other 'reality' show. Still, it's sick that people want to see a scripted 'reality' show about kids trying to kill each other and adults screaming at kids to try to kill other kids.

People like to feel outraged. Its why they script 'reality' shows to begin with, so that people can hear other people say outrageous things and feel righteously indignant. They aren't catering to the very few people who think screaming at a 9yr old to rip off a kids head is appropriate behavior, they're catering to the people who think its terrible.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I had a middle school basketball coach who tried to cultivate "toughness" in us by having us diving on the ground for loose balls all the time and running super long suicides. I have no doubt that if that guy got let onto on a football field he would have eighth graders ramming headfirst into each other. There really are a lot of lovely coaches in the world. I watched that debate Malcolm Gladwell did with some former football players where he argued for banning the sport. The pro-football side just talked about how much the sport taught them about discipline and hard work and stuff. There are plenty of coaches who think the violence is the whole point and it is the road to self improvement.

And back to the student athlete topic, the fair thinking would be this: participating in D1 sports requires a huge amount of time and effort. So, what we are going to do for athletes is put them on a 6 year college plan, with 4 years of athletic eligibility. The 4 years you are playing football, practicing, lifting weights, watching tape, traveling, and making us money, you are on the hook for two classes a semester. At the end of that fourth year, assuming you don't get drafted, you now have two years of four classes a semester, or whatever the norm is. In this system, a full ride scholarship means all 6 years are covered. I personally believe this will never happen because the NCAA is a sham, but it's the best outcome I can come up with. Actually, I imagine most of the athletes will immediately drop out after the athletics portion ends. I dunno.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm well aware that reality TV is heavily scripted but I don't think they're doing some Stan Winston poo poo to fake a bunch of 8 year olds doing an Oklahoma drill

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The B_36 posted:

People like to feel outraged. Its why they script 'reality' shows to begin with, so that people can hear other people say outrageous things and feel righteously indignant. They aren't catering to the very few people who think screaming at a 9yr old to rip off a kids head is appropriate behavior, they're catering to the people who think its terrible.

They do cut in a way that brings out the maximum amount "controversy' for lack of a better word, but no they don't try to cater to that group, as its not sustainable and could result in horrible backlash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OTL does a very long article about something called 'Heads Up Football' that is now being taught in youth leagues and sponsored by the NFL. It seems like it's another attempt by the NFL to calm parental concerns about football safety, but in reality it sounds like a method of tackling that isn't going to work.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10276129/popular-nfl-backed-heads-tackling-method-questioned-former-players

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

while the coaches behavior is probably played up, I doubt the eight year olds slamming their heads into each other is faked.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Joe Posnanski did a pretty scathing takedown of the 60 Minutes report on the A-Rod/Biogenesis stuff:

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-60-minutes-report/

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Joe Posnanski did a pretty scathing takedown of the 60 Minutes report on the A-Rod/Biogenesis stuff:

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-60-minutes-report/

Wow. Crossposting this to the related thread. Awesome find.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

TSN started a series about homophobia in sports today. This is worth a look:

e: Working link:

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=274129

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 16, 2014

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

grantland.com maybe just killed someone

http://www.shakesville.com/2014/01/careless-cruel-and-unaccountable.html

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I dunno how responsible I hold the writer for Dr. V's death since he was doing his due diligence in examining Vanderbilt's credentials (which were entirely fake). He probably didn't need to out her as trans and if that resulted in her committing suicide that's a tragedy but I'm sure he was doing "good journalism" in his mind, I guess? She committed suicide before the article went to print so who knows

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

I dunno how responsible I hold the writer for Dr. V's death since he was doing his due diligence in examining Vanderbilt's credentials (which were entirely fake). He probably didn't need to out her as trans and if that resulted in her committing suicide that's a tragedy but I'm sure he was doing "good journalism" in his mind, I guess? She committed suicide before the article went to print so who knows

What's lovely is that it's treated as a big twist, then immediately uses the wrong pronouns, goes around outing her to clients and co-workers, digging up quotes from people who hated her, and then treats her suicide like it was completely unconnected with him, golly gee gosh this is sad but I guess it just had to happen

I don't think this is even close to 'good journalism,' even in some kind of weird abstract where actions are unconnected to events. It's just spooky boogeyman nonsense that handled a delicate subject incredibly clumsily and took more quotes from people spewing hate speech than anything else

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i don't think it's possible to assign blame for something as complex as suicide but the author of that piece harasses and humiliates the subject in the pursuit of a total non-story. if the club inventor hadn't been transgender there's no way this is a story and it probably gets dropped soon after he finds out the credentials are inflated. it's also absolutely sickening that it's framed as an eulogy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It certainly aspires to transcend sports and just falls flat on its face

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

the talent deficit posted:

i don't think it's possible to assign blame for something as complex as suicide but the author of that piece harasses and humiliates the subject in the pursuit of a total non-story. if the club inventor hadn't been transgender there's no way this is a story and it probably gets dropped soon after he finds out the credentials are inflated. it's also absolutely sickening that it's framed as an eulogy

He had begun the story months before he discovered she was trans, so ... it was a story?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
He seems like a huge douche on his twitter too.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

IMB posted:

He had begun the story months before he discovered she was trans, so ... it was a story?

I agree that the story was interesting enough on its own. Outing her as trans was completely unnecessary and added little to the story, other than "shock" value for people who are still shocked that trans individuals exist.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

IMB posted:

sure but the story he started researching was 'eccentric genius invents crazy new putter'. it turned out only the eccentric part was really true so he instead wrote a piece that outed a woman as trans because it was the only part of the story anyone was going to care about. 'someone makes outrageous unsupported claims about their weird putter' probably doesn't get published anywhere, let alone grantland. violating someone's request for discretion and privacy because you don't want your story to evaporate is terrible enough, pretending like you are performing a public service by going forward is reprehensible

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"I tried out this crazy putter made by an eccentric scientist and when I went to do the background check for the story turns out this lady was coordinating car rentals but hey it really works so maybe genius can come from unexpected places" boom there's your copy without outing someone

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

the talent deficit posted:

sure but the story he started researching was 'eccentric genius invents crazy new putter'. it turned out only the eccentric part was really true so he instead wrote a piece that outed a woman as trans because it was the only part of the story anyone was going to care about. 'someone makes outrageous unsupported claims about their weird putter' probably doesn't get published anywhere, let alone grantland. violating someone's request for discretion and privacy because you don't want your story to evaporate is terrible enough, pretending like you are performing a public service by going forward is reprehensible

Yep. And the writer is trying to make himself look like the victim after the backlash. I don't get mad on the internet about much, but this whole thing is disgusting. Really, gently caress the writer and whoever at Grantland green lighted it for page views.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I guess my only problem (and it's a big one) is with the way it was written. As far as the research, he did the right thing in looking up her background. Focusing on the trans part, especially post mortem, is just gruesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This article was certainly done in a rather tasteless fashion and there are many things about it that should've been done differently but this blogger is delusional if she thinks someone is supposed to continue to focus solely on the science and not the scientist even after discovering the scientist is full of poo poo.

He made that assurance when Dr. V was offering him the implied assurance that she was legitimate. When he discovers that she's been misleading him, I don't think he's responsible to hold up his initial promise any further as it was given under false pretenses.

I don't think her being trans is irrelevant though. There's an established pattern of withholding information there and it's arguable that this fact could've been the root of it. The error is in creating a piece that uses that fact as a Shymalan-like twist as opposed to using it as a potential outlet to give this clearly troubled individual some relief.

A good writer would be trying to understand her but, instead, he was trying to "catch" her.

This is an interesting story and I wish it would've ended up in the hands of Wright Thompson instead of this guy.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't think her being trans is irrelevant though. There's an established pattern of withholding information there and it's arguable that this fact could've been the root of it.

I think this is exactly the point that people have a problem with, though (in addition to the terrible "chill up my spine" language). Personally, I find the article's drawing of a connection between (1) a person wanting to keep that element of their life private with (2) that person's engaging in a pattern of deception to be shockingly obtuse about complicated issues of gender identity.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

This article was certainly done in a rather tasteless fashion and there are many things about it that should've been done differently but this blogger is delusional if she thinks someone is supposed to continue to focus solely on the science and not the scientist even after discovering the scientist is full of poo poo.

He made that assurance when Dr. V was offering him the implied assurance that she was legitimate. When he discovers that she's been misleading him, I don't think he's responsible to hold up his initial promise any further as it was given under false pretenses.

I don't think her being trans is irrelevant though. There's an established pattern of withholding information there and it's arguable that this fact could've been the root of it. The error is in creating a piece that uses that fact as a Shymalan-like twist as opposed to using it as a potential outlet to give this clearly troubled individual some relief.

A good writer would be trying to understand her but, instead, he was trying to "catch" her.

This is an interesting story and I wish it would've ended up in the hands of Wright Thompson instead of this guy.

Are you seriously comparing not disclosing being trans with lying about having a degree from MIT and lying about working for the military? That being trans is the "root" for this person trying to scam her investors by lying about her credentials?

Not to mention that any argument about the necessity of disclosing her trans status becomes moot the second this writer thought it was appropriate to not only out her to investors, to not only record their reaction to the outing, but to then also express surprise that they didn't think it was a big deal.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Yes sportsgenius all people who wish to keep their sexuality private are huge lying liars and should be sent to Russia for reprogramming.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
As an aside - Gary McCord's part in this story is pretty drat weird. He claims to have verified her identity with "several four-star generals" and Dan Quayle? Okay, then.

Benicio
Mar 21, 2004

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
Early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose

OrangeKing posted:

As an aside - Gary McCord's part in this story is pretty drat weird. He claims to have verified her identity with "several four-star generals" and Dan Quayle? Okay, then.

Yeah that part stood out to me too, what the hell Gary?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not saying that it "is" the root cause or that not disclosing it is equal to her resume transgressions, what I'm saying is that once he finds out, it's kind of his job to explore if it could be related.

Part of understanding the story is understanding the person it is about. He didn't take the time to do that. My point here was that exploring it is not really a no-no in my mind, however the route he chose to use to do so was.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm not saying that it "is" the root cause or that not disclosing it is equal to her resume transgressions, what I'm saying is that once he finds out, it's kind of his job to explore if it could be related.

Part of understanding the story is understanding the person it is about. He didn't take the time to do that. My point here was that exploring it is not really a no-no in my mind, however the route he chose to use to do so was.

Oh, bullshit. Even leaving aside how bigoted it is to "explore" if they are related, the article doesn't even do that: Hannan pretty much implies that it is without anything to back it up.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 19, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Oh, bullshit. Even leaving aside how bigoted it is to "explore" if they are related, doesn't even do that: Hannan pretty much implies that it is without anything to back it up.

And that's totally wrong of him to do.

Doing the research and documenting all of the research in the final product are two different things. He can look into something for a better understanding of the whole story without including every bit of it in the article. It's extremely likely they're unrelated but nobody can know that without looking into it. The difference here is that any reasonable person, upon finding no connection, would omit the information instead of outing the individual to others in an attempt to create such evidence out of thin air.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

And that's totally wrong of him to do.

Doing the research and documenting all of the research in the final product are two different things. He can look into something for a better understanding of the whole story without including every bit of it in the article. It's extremely likely they're unrelated but nobody can know that without looking into it. The difference here is that any reasonable person, upon finding no connection, would omit the information instead of outing the individual to others in an attempt to create such evidence out of thin air.

How the gently caress does someone "look into" whether being trans led someone to lie about her credentials to investors? At least in a way that isn't ripe with traditional transphobia or cheap psychologizing?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The author outed Dr. V to people who didn't know, he can go gently caress himself just for that.

I've seen people saying stuff like "Well she tried to kill herself before so clearly she was unstable." That seems like a reason to not push the transgender angle to me. Or, you know, put yourself in a position of outing her.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah outing yourself is a difficult and deeply personal thing, trying to do it for someone is scummy as hell.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
ESPN's statement:

quote:

"We understand and appreciate the wide range of thoughtful reaction this story has generated and to the family and friends of Essay Anne Vanderbilt, we express our deepest condolences. We will use the constructive feedback to continue our ongoing dialogue on these important and sensitive topics. Ours is a company that values the LGBT community internally and in our storytelling, and we will all learn from this."

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
I don't think Hannan handled the story very sensitively - he clearly sensationalizes the transgender aspect, and the part about his conversation with the risk manager is especially lovely. But I think it was absolutely fair of him to probe whether the claims about Dr. V's credentials were true or not. Once they turned out not to be, I think reporting that was part of his job. The thing I can't decide is whether he could have written the story and established that she was lying about her credentials without outing her. That part I'm not sure about - would the story make sense (or be persuasive) if he basically just said "I couldn't verify any of the claims about her past?" I've been thinking about it since I read the story and I can't decide.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MaximumBob posted:

But I think it was absolutely fair of him to probe whether the claims about Dr. V's credentials were true or not. Once they turned out not to be, I think reporting that was part of his job.

Absolutely! There is a ton of snake-oil horseshit in sports, all the way up to the top professionals. This could have been a valuable and interesting article without the other crap.

quote:

The thing I can't decide is whether he could have written the story and established that she was lying about her credentials without outing her. That part I'm not sure about - would the story make sense (or be persuasive) if he basically just said "I couldn't verify any of the claims about her past?" I've been thinking about it since I read the story and I can't decide.

If he had to out her to establish her academic/professional deceit, at the very least, he could have mentioned it only to establish that she was using a different name when such and such occurred. Like, "Acme University has no record of her enrollment, and at the time, she lived in [city 2000 miles away from Acme] under the name * prior to her gender reassignment." That's it, nothing more because it's not relevant to the story.

He would still have committed the shithead act of outing her, but he at least couldn't be accused of sensationalizing it or acting like finding out she was trans-gender was the same as finding out she was a loving lizard alien. He wouldn't have done the same if she was a lesbian whether she was out or not. He outed himself as someone who is mind-bogglingly ignorant of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If he had to out her to establish her academic/professional deceit, at the very least, he could have mentioned it only to establish that she was using a different name when such and such occurred. Like, "Acme University has no record of her enrollment, and at the time, she lived in [city 2000 miles away from Acme] under the name * prior to her gender reassignment." That's it, nothing more because it's not relevant to the story.

He would still have committed the shithead act of outing her, but he at least couldn't be accused of sensationalizing it or acting like finding out she was trans-gender was the same as finding out she was a loving lizard alien. He wouldn't have done the same if she was a lesbian whether she was out or not. He outed himself as someone who is mind-bogglingly ignorant of the issue.

You know, thinking a little more about it, I think he probably could have just written the article and said "I found that prior to 2003 she was living as another name, working as an auto mechanic" and left off that she wasn't living as a woman. If someone with Yar had called bullshit publicly he could have revealed everything he knew at that point, but he probably could have written a compelling story without doing so.