Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started watching Kroll Show and it reminds me of Tom Haverford. I hope we get more Ira and The Douche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL099S9XTH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pointblank` posted:

I love P&R as much as anyone, but does anyone else find themselves completely losing interest? I've barely paid attention to the last two episodes.

I actually fell asleep during the episode. That never happens during shows I like, and I was calling this the best active sitcom on TV a few seasons ago.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What the hell is happening in this thread?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I started watching Kroll Show and it reminds me of Tom Haverford. I hope we get more Ira and The Douche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL099S9XTH8
Jenny Slate is also on it playing what is essentially just a more successful Mona Lisa.

Also, I don't really like paying attention to celebrity romances, but I really do find it cute that a dude who has had such success playing the douchiest guys on TV is dating a lady who's had such success being the nicest person on TV.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 18, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

VagueRant posted:

This is the first year I've been watching both Parks and Community and it's making Parks look reeeeeally bad comparatively.

That said, Ben at the police station was funny.

I feel the opposite. I'm about to give up on Community, but am enjoying the hell out of Parks.

I think they're just doing a storyline were Leslie now has to find her place in the order of things, since she wanted to make sure the Parks dept was taken care of when she left to be councilwoman. She never expected to be taken out of office, and now the dept doesn't need to rely on her as much as it needed to. It's going to be interesting to see if she can find a new passion.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Pointblank` posted:

I love P&R as much as anyone, but does anyone else find themselves completely losing interest? I've barely paid attention to the last two episodes.
I think the show peaked a couple of seasons ago and has been getting a bit stale since then. To be fair though, it's still completely watchable and never gets embarrassingly bad like The Office did.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
From the TV Guide twitter:
"NBC's Greenblatt says he's 'bullish' over Parks and Recreation returning, says it will have a seventh season"

So there you go.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's more info on Sepinwall's twitter, saying it was Daniel at HitFix pushing him to define exactly what he meant etc. Sounds like good news, regardless. Hopefully Community is renewed for a full season alongside it.

Thought this weeks episode was great by the way, and I made some kind of weird whooping laugh when Chris/Larry conversed in the picnic area. I've never made that noise before and am slightly concerned.

E:

"10:00 a.m. "We're obviously not happy about a .6 for any show, especially for Michael J. Fox. We like that show. We like Sean Hayes' show a lot. Creatively, we think those are good shows," he says. "We're gonna still work hard to see what we should do on Thursday night," Greenblatt says. "'Parks and Rec' and 'Community' are also great shows," he says, claiming they like them. "I think both of those shows are, you know, are strong possibilities for returning," he says. He says that they're "bullish" on the future of both shows. So I put my live-blog down and ask, "What does "bullish" mean?" Greenblatt says he's going out on a limb. "Parks and Rec" is going to have a seventh season," he says. We're all a bit shocked to hear that said so frankly. That doesn't mean that "Community won't also get another season, Salke adds. So I got "Parks and Rec" a seventh season today. What did you do?"

http://m.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/nbc-executive-session-with-robert-greenblatt-press-tour-live-blog#LEPZaQRJ06Zy8cpr.99

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 19, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the show is always at its weakest when it is a Leslie heavy episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I do find this season's approach of making Leslie the villain pretty interesting. It reminds me of the first part of season 4, with episodes like Smallest Park or The Treaty.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Even though I still love Parks, I'm surprised there's going to be another season. Everything feels like it's coming to a satisfying close and the characters don't really have anywhere else to go. What could you fill another 13 episodes with that hasn't been done already? I know it sounds weird, but I was really hoping this was the final season.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

By the looks of things NBC still doesn't have anything to replace it with, so it will go on.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think they could get another worthwhile season out of it, they just need to find an interesting plot. Maybe Kristen Bell trying to disband the parks department, or maybe Leslie competing for a job in the state parks department.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Oasx posted:

I think the show is always at its weakest when it is a Leslie heavy episode.

I think in general the writing has become a bit lazy. It's a lot easier to accept the schmaltz if it's also packed with great jokes, and these episodes have not really been very funny, small character moments aside. And only some of the character moments actually work - You get much more out of a Tom moment than a Leslie moment. It's as if they squirted the Leslie sponge dry of funniness. Or, more likely, they think they have, so they keep repeating the same notes instead of finding something different in her personality to mine laughs from.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

Even though I still love Parks, I'm surprised there's going to be another season. Everything feels like it's coming to a satisfying close and the characters don't really have anywhere else to go. What could you fill another 13 episodes with that hasn't been done already? I know it sounds weird, but I was really hoping this was the final season.

Came here to say the same thing. I love P&R as much as anyone, I even enjoyed the first season and Mark Brandanawitz, but honestly this is the first time I feel like the show has gotten to a point, both in quality and in plot/character development, where it makes sense to just wrap it up. It's still way better than The Office was at this same point but that's also damning with faint praise, and I'd rather P&R just end on as high a note as possible rather than continuing down what I do (however painfully) have to see as a slow decline since the second half of season 5.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Season 7:

http://www.avclub.com/article/parks-recreation-renewed-for-seventh-season-107078

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Look on the bright side, 30 Rock pulled out of a nosedive and made their last couple of seasons funny again. P&R has the talent, they just need to get back on track.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been a bit contrarian and have more or less loved this season with the exception of the last episode, but from the beginning I've felt like P&R could end at any time and I wouldn't be too upset. It's been a good run. Just let them know going in that it will be the last one and let Schur wrap it up with that knowledge and we'll be fine. Basically, give it the 30 Rock treatment.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I still love this show but I do agree it would be best if they knew the next season was the end and went out with a bang.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
The show just needs a solid arc to close out on. Right now it just feels like wheel spinning because as it stands there's no "goal" for Leslie at it stands.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think a seventh season is a mistake, if only because everything seems to be heading towards a wrap up right now. Obviously that can and will be changed, but it seems obvious to me they were writing this as the last season. While it's not my favorite comedy on the air anymore I will welcome more of it because I've never really seen a bad episode of the show and probably won't.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Again, I think the last episode ("New Beginnings") was probably bad because of the writer, who had never done a P&R episode before. Next week's episode is directed by Adam Scott, so I have high hopes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah, they really need to tell the writers if this will be the last season or not; that way they can adjust their current plans to make the actual arcs longer or some other kind of adjustment leading to a good warp-up.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CaptainHollywood posted:

The show just needs a solid arc to close out on. Right now it just feels like wheel spinning because as it stands there's no "goal" for Leslie at it stands.

Maybe she'll finish building Pawnee Commons :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A seventh season will hopefully mean Craig is brought on as a full time character to replace one of the leavers.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

pksage posted:

Next week's episode is directed by Adam Scott, so I have high hopes.

I think next week's episode is called Ann & Chris so I think it should good one.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I think they need to cut out the traveling to Europe parts (why did this suddenly become a thing for them?), and finally get rid of Ann. Her having a baby arc is terrible.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Parks and Rec has always been really good at writing wrap-up episodes when they didn't know if they were coming back ("Freddy Spaghetti", "Li'l Sebastian", "Win, Lose, or Draw", and "Leslie and Ben" were all fantastic episodes) and I think we all would've been fine with the series ending on any of them without the benefit of hindsight.

We can be all "two or three bad episodes in a row, so the series is over" in this thread (and the late seasons of The Office cast a pretty big shadow over Pawnee), but I'm not at all worried about the show not getting a satisfying last couple of episodes whenever that happens.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pigasus posted:

The point of the last episode is to show that the characters have outgrown relying on Leslie to make the Parks and Recreation department a function government organization. That's the opposite of business as usual. April and Tom are reliable, independent employees with their own visions of what they could do with the job and how to accomplish something. They both make competent and persuasive presentations because they followed Leslie's example.

I think it was completely touching and a good episode to show how the field has changed since the election.

The problem I had with the episode was that even though it was a learning point for Leslie, it feels like a retread to the viewer because we've already been watching Tom and April's growth throughout the season. We know April's taking Animal Control seriously. We know Tom is approaching his new job with new maturity and putting genuine effort into it, so when you have this big scene where Leslie is realizing this for herself, the sentiment for me isn't "Wow, Tom and April HAVE grown!" it's "Way to catch up with what everyone else already knows, Leslie.", and the payoff just isn't there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 20, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FadingChord posted:

We can be all "two or three bad episodes in a row, so the series is over" in this thread (and the late seasons of The Office cast a pretty big shadow over Pawnee), but I'm not at all worried about the show not getting a satisfying last couple of episodes whenever that happens.

For me it's less that there have been a couple of bad episodes and more that it's been an unimpressive seasons and a half so far.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

For me it's less that there have been a couple of bad episodes and more that it's been an unimpressive seasons and a half so far.

:911: That's essentially my position as well.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 20, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

fount of knowledge posted:

The problem I had with the episode was that even though it was a learning point for Leslie, it feels like a retread to the viewer because we've already been watching Tom and April's growth throughout the season. We know April's taking Animal Control seriously. We know Tom is approaching his new job with new maturity and putting genuine effort into it, so when you have this big scene where Leslie is realizing this for herself, the sentiment for me isn't "Wow, Tom and April HAVE grown!" it's "Way to catch up with what everyone else already knows, Leslie.", and the payoff just isn't there.

I think the stuff with Tom and April leads Leslie to realize she's not needed and with Ron talking about her doing bigger and better things sets her up for moving up into state government (or higher).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harry posted:

I think they need to cut out the traveling to Europe parts (why did this suddenly become a thing for them?), and finally get rid of Ann. Her having a baby arc is terrible.

Because Chris Pratt was filming Guardians of the Galaxy in the UK, which is why he was in London for most of the season... and I guess they decided they might as well pop over to France while they were there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

omnibobb posted:

I think the stuff with Tom and April leads Leslie to realize she's not needed and with Ron talking about her doing bigger and better things sets her up for moving up into state government (or higher).

You'd think she'd have seen the results of their work in the department while she was in office. It's not like she has a blind eye towards them or anything. It was just a poorly imagined plot arc.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Although I agree this season hasn't been outstanding, and I'm beginning to see more and more examples of characters just going through the motions, I'm still pretty excited about it getting renewed. Honestly it's probably a good thing it'll be without Chris and Ann, as they've easily been the weakest link here.

If we can get a handful of episodes that are as good as Cones of Dunshire I'll be more than happy. It's kind of like Futurama, it's seen better days, but it's still got a lot of heart and I always enjoy watching it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fount of knowledge posted:

Do we? Have we actually seen her doing work at any point since she took that job? Because I don't remember it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Do we? Have we actually seen her doing work at any point since she took that job? Because I don't remember it.

I could have sworn she spearheaded several initiatives and did other things, as well.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
So since April's in charge of Animal Control, is she now required to handle cases of .... animal control? I mean, let's say a wild ostrich somehow gets loose in one of the parks. Would she have to go out with Andy and Donna and Tom and whoever else she can wrangle to capture it?

That'd make a good B-story for an episode methinks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

By the looks of things NBC still doesn't have anything to replace it with, so it will go on.

Why didn't they renew 1600 Penn, I enjoyed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

By the way, if you haven't heard of it, you should check out Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm only bringing it up because I hadn't heard of it until last week, but it's the new show by Michael Schur and Dan Goor and it's really very good. First season is still going, but I've been catching up and it's much better than P&R season 1 so far.

It's basically the same style of show but in a police precinct.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 20, 2014

• Locked thread