Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ghana rheya posted:

Welp. Spending the weekend at work because admin being replaced goes: "DC was acting funny. Sooo, I clicked something and now it's formatted."

How!? What's that I don't even know how or why you'd get get that result or think that it's an appropriate way to leave a system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghana rheya posted:

Welp. Spending the weekend at work because admin being replaced goes: "DC was acting funny. Sooo, I clicked something and now it's formatted."

I hope you are at least following up with someone because there is no way you can accidentally format a dc.

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)
I speak to maybe 500 people a week

A few statistics from the last few years

Native English* people who could not spell the word password (right next to the word password on the screen)

Native English people who could not spell 'and'

Different things that we should have spent time specifically warning the customer about when the took their contract out (that they did not ask about at the time)

People who when asked a question said "I knew you'd ask that"
about a thousand

People who when asked a question said "I knew you'd ask that" and had an answer ready

People who had tried turning it off and on again before calling us.
all of them

People who had successfully turned it off and on again before calling us

*I did not tally people for whom English was not their first language or who asked me to spell it for them. This is just people who thought they could spell password but couldn't.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

go3 posted:

We provide ESET for our clients but client AV should be the last line of defense.

ESET is what we provide for clients wanting to pay for AV otherwise it is MS Security Essentials.
Only issue I have with ESET is the remote administrator remote installer can't deal with systems with UAC turned on. So basically every Win7/8 workstation I have say over.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I came in as "Junior Admin." The "Senior Admin" took that to mean I'm her replacement and did EVERYTHING possible to gently caress me over beforehand.

Backups, network diagrams, inventory, emails, anything worthwhile was on the DC. Good thing she DBAN-ed it while I was at lunch. Then promptly GTFO. :-$

Edit: I think as hilariously mismanaged as this site is, they may have wanted someone to motivate her into doing a respectable job. Welp. That didn't work.

ghana rheya fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 19, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ghana rheya posted:

I came in as "Junior Admin." The "Senior Admin" took that to mean I'm her replacement and did EVERYTHING possible to gently caress me over beforehand.

Backups, network diagrams, inventory, emails, anything worthwhile was on the DC. Good thing she DBAN-ed it while I was at lunch. Then promptly GTFO. :-$

Edit: I think as hilariously mismanaged as this site is, they may have wanted someone to motivate her into doing a respectable job. Welp. That didn't work.

To be fair, if that's what happened, then they should have been looking for a replacement even if they weren't at the time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ghana rheya posted:

Sounds like you're going to get some good experience setting up enterprise systems from scratch. Maybe it'll work out okay and things will work better than ever once you get everything set up correctly.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I agree. It's just as much their fault for being clueless and not having basic structure to plan towards a disaster of this magnitude.

"We don't understand the "magic" of technology, here person that seemingly isn't clueless have all the keys to the kingdom and tell me nothing of it."

After noticing an unusual spike in network traffic, it seems most of the workstations, about 200~ish on-site, fired off a distributed bitcoin mining script. So, I got that going for me too.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So, any takers on the bet that she distributed the miners through a GPO before ragequitting in a way that would normally result in business insolvency?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ghana rheya posted:

What the loving poo poo?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I take it the words "restore from backup" would lead to the inevitable response?

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah. The only off-site backup they had was housed in a data center 3 hours away. Got all set to drive there and their on-call rang to say they switched centers 4 years ago...New data center was contracted 18 months ago, not a single bit of storage occupied.

I'm hitting up a liquor store for lotsa scotch on my way home.

Edit: words are hard.

ghana rheya fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 19, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ghana rheya posted:

Yeah. The only off-site backup they had was housed in a data center 3 hours away. Got all set to drive there and their on-call rang to say they switched centers 4 years ago...New data center for the site has been running for about 18 months. Completely unused.

Cover Your rear end. Update your resume.

Prepare to make like this guy

This cannot and probably will not end well for you.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 19, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ghana rheya posted:

Yeah. The only off-site backup they had was housed in a data center 3 hours away. Got all set to drive there and their on-call rang to say they switched centers 4 years ago...New data center was contracted 18 months ago, not a single bit of storage occupied.

Edit: words are hard.

So nobody checked backups were working for important data for 4 years. How did that person still have a job?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

HalloKitty posted:

So nobody checked backups were working for important data for 4 years. How did that person still have a job?

I'm going to go ahead and guess it was the same person who just burned down the village. Sounds like a smallish operation.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
The "IT" department was recently expanded to be a 2 person operation. It is now back to 1 employed operator.

I'm not certain how she still had the job.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ghana rheya posted:

The "IT" department was recently expanded to be a 2 person operation. It is now back to 1 employed operator.

I'm not certain how she still had the job.

Can't something like this qualify for criminal charges? I would pursue whatever I could in that regard if I were in charge of that company.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This is going to end painfully for everyone there. Make sure you are always ready to pop out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

Can't something like this qualify for criminal charges? I would pursue whatever I could in that regard if I were in charge of that company.

Yeah, honestly, if that company isn't pursuing criminal charges, I'd be shocked. Running DBAN on the only DC without backups as your last act is a pretty clear "gently caress You" act. People have been sent to prison for less.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, honestly, if that company isn't pursuing criminal charges, I'd be shocked. Running DBAN on the only DC without backups as your last act is a pretty clear "gently caress You" act. People have been sent to prison for less.

It is also ABSOLUTELY time to renegotiate your contract.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Literally DBAN or are you being hyperbolic there?

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Ha. I'm having a nice loooooong conversation with management tomorrow. I've gathered she was nothing beyond incompetent and malicious. It's limping along currently and I don't give a gently caress no mo'. Going home to rest.

No hyperbole. I pulled the DVD from the drive myself.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ghana rheya posted:

Ha. I'm having a nice loooooong conversation with management tomorrow. I've gathered she was nothing beyond incompetent and malicious. It's limping along currently and I don't give a gently caress no mo'. Going home to rest.

What else is there beyond incompetent and malicious?

Congratulations on your upcoming promotion, and please remember to thoroughly document everything you've done and do in the future.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Please tell me that the DC was also not an SBS server hosting your exchange, file, print, and application environment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ghana rheya posted:

Wait so you aren't virtualized either?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ghana rheya posted:

Holy hell. Well on the plus side you get to live out every IT employee's dream: scrapping the existing layout and rebuilding it in your image.

I can't imagine how that discussion with management is going end well however.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Raerlynn posted:

Holy hell. Well on the plus side you get to live out every IT employee's dream: scrapping the existing layout and rebuilding it in your image.

This is your dream? To come into an office environment that you're totally unfamiliar with and rebuild everything as fast as possible while the whole office is in a panic because nothing is working? Remind me to never do an inception with you.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So our regional office is actually going to get some servers, currently it just has a couple of non-networked workstations.

I've been tasked with setting it all up, it'll be an AD domain, VPN access for all us home workers, the ticket system will be hosted there, as will our source control.

Sounds great, just a couple of caveats:

1) It's two hours to drive there, four hours to drive back
2) The servers I get to use are the PowerEdge 2950s (2) and 1950s (3) that were taken out of our old satellite office a few years back
3) They're licensed for 1x Win 2003 R2 Standard OEM, 2x Win 2003 R2 Enterprise OEM and 2x Win 2003 R2 64bit Standard OEM.
4) My budget is zero.
5) There are no backup devices.

Time to start drinking again.

What's the current best practice for naming a Win2003 domain, with a view to it later being borged by the rest of the company. I'm guessing at something like sitename.contoso.com?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Condolences. I think I'd rather run as a bunch of disparate workstations than build anything on 7 year old hardware with an OS 18 months away from dropping out of support. I don't want to be one of those people that thinks every problem can be solved by throwing the word 'cloud' around but, cloud. There is no need for you to be hosting a ticketing system or a source control when you have so many home workers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Virtualize the poo poo out of your new environment and invest in good backups.

If someone is an idiot ever again you can be up and running in minutes or hours instead of days

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

Condolences. I think I'd rather run as a bunch of disparate workstations than build anything on 7 year old hardware with an OS 18 months away from dropping out of support. I don't want to be one of those people that thinks every problem can be solved by throwing the word 'cloud' around but, cloud. There is no need for you to be hosting a ticketing system or a source control when you have so many home workers.

Cloud isn't going to happen, and for actual legit reasons in our industry.

I'm hoping that I can at least get people dependent on this setup, then go nagging about an upgrade.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

A ticket went out...
to our ISP from the other IT guy after a branch's connection started acting up.

"Getting timeout errors, did a consent pink and found a few drop packs."

I'm pretty sure he was trying to say that he did a constant ping, and found a few dropped packets. He listens to talk radio during the day, so I'm guessing it was one of those typos you do when you're hearing someone else talk. I'm going to have to remember to ask him if he did a consent pink the next time a connection stops working.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Reality: people will become dependent on the setup. Upgrade will never happen, when it all goes down in flames they will blame you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Varkk posted:

Reality: people will become dependent on the setup. Upgrade will never happen, when it all goes down in flames they will blame you.

This! Server 2003 is barely over a year from End of Life. Fork out the money now.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

tehloki posted:

This is your dream? To come into an office environment that you're totally unfamiliar with and rebuild everything as fast as possible while the whole office is in a panic because nothing is working? Remind me to never do an inception with you.

No, but how many times have you walked into a poorly setup environment and wanted to fix it, but couldn't because crappy infrastructure was already in place? Coming into a place that's a blank slate is my idea of a dream. Obviously this isn't ideal because this is a case of a vindictive prick doing their damnedest to burn a place down and salt the earth, but you can't tell me you don't see the appeal of starting over from scratch.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Raerlynn posted:

No, but how many times have you walked into a poorly setup environment and wanted to fix it, but couldn't because crappy infrastructure was already in place? Coming into a place that's a blank slate is my idea of a dream. Obviously this isn't ideal because this is a case of a vindictive prick doing their damnedest to burn a place down and salt the earth, but you can't tell me you don't see the appeal of starting over from scratch.

It would be nice to start over from scratch, with a "Make it loving work" budget... but I'd like something more of an actual plan to implement it, not double Secret Severity One on the Aoi-Chan index of incident response.

Aoi-Chan in the last A Ticket Came In Thread posted:

Our is more like:
4: A user is on fire.
3: Several users are on fire.
2: A server is on fire.
1: A data center is on fire. (DR plan? We have a DR plan? Oh yeah, it's on the.. oh..)
Double secret sev. 1: All the things are on fire and the board is manning the lifeboat.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Raerlynn posted:

There are elements of this fantasy that I can relate to, but unless the environment was tiny and simple and the atmosphere was relaxed and I got lieu time for all the double shifts and after hours work, I would definitely never want to be coming in and rebuilding everything from scratch as the first thing I did for a business. I'd love it if my current business just closed the hell down for a week so I could redo our disaster of a networking rack (see some of my first posts in this thread for pix), for example, but there's people in here from 6am until 10pm every single day so that's never happening. Unless I suddenly lose all of my day-to-day support and planning responsibilities and start working overnight.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really wanna set up an environment as well, but not on those terms. You wouldnt have the time to do it properly.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It would be nice to start over from scratch, with a "Make it loving work" budget... but I'd like something more of an actual plan to implement it, not double Secret Severity One on the Aoi-Chan index of incident response.

Speaking of this, we did later discover yet another hidden severity level, the "The CEO of the company has just called the service desk to report that someone on our team has accidentally terminated him and disabled his access in all attached systems" level, but that's probably not relevant to your situation.

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Aoi-chan posted:

Speaking of this, we did later discover yet another hidden severity level, the "The CEO of the company has just called the service desk to report that someone on our team has accidentally terminated him and disabled his access in all attached systems" level, but that's probably not relevant to your situation.

Surely there's a higher sev code for if someone on the team has accidentally literally terminated him, with like, a forklift, or whatever

• Locked thread