Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dishonest Résumé posted:

Should I be optimistic
Only if you forget you're on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

td4guy posted:

Correct.

Well, that made for an easy decision. Now since I'm going from WiMax device to an LTE Device (Nexus 5) are there any hassles I can look forward to re: activation? Anything I can do to make my life easy once the phone gets here?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sprint is following the trend of phone services letting you upgrade your phone whenever you want and instead of paying $600 upfront, you pay in monthly installments over 24 months; http://support.sprint.com/support/a...asyPay:01162014

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I said come in! posted:

Sprint is following the trend of phone services letting you upgrade your phone whenever you want and instead of paying $600 upfront, you pay in monthly installments over 24 months; http://support.sprint.com/support/a...asyPay:01162014

It's not quite whenever.

Right now, if you upgraded 6+ months ago you can do it, though it does require a plan change.

If you get the unlimited data, you can do it after a year, as long as you give back your phone.

If you don't get the data, you have to pay off the current phone first.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

TVs Ian posted:

If you get the unlimited data, you can do it after a year, as long as you give back your phone.
And as far as I can tell that's only if you have the FRAMILY℠ plan. Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know how/if corporate discounts will apply to the framily plan? (That name just sounds worse and worse the more I hear/see it.)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

datajosh posted:

And as far as I can tell that's only if you have the FRAMILY℠ plan. Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know how/if corporate discounts will apply to the framily plan? (That name just sounds worse and worse the more I hear/see it.)

Data package only.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

datajosh posted:

From everything we've been told, you can only do Easy Pay on a Framily plan. Other plans are still 20-month upgrades on subsidized phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sprint is the new tmobile that can't decide what the gently caress to do and is changing plans every 6 months to see what works. Tmobile did that for like 2 years until finally settling on their current plans.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Earlier this week my phone started getting stuck on "turning airplane mode off", even though airplane mode hadn't been on. The only thing that seems to fix this is a restart. I chalked it up to my aging HTC 4G LTE, then my wife calls me from her friend's phone today to tell me she'll be home soon, but she can't call me because her phone is stuck on "turning airplane mode off". She proceeds to tell me she's getting "No Service" messages from home.

I didn't think Sprint service could actually get worse. The 4G rollout was actually making it tolerable.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
To you sprint employees, will a sprint store match the amazon price on an upgrade? I have an EVO LTE and have my upgrade up. I'm considering a g2 or a nexus 5, but the prices are way lower online. Not sure if this matters, but I'm on a normal unlimited family plan (with discount, but my wife still works at that company, so no worries there). If they won't match, is there really any reason to doing it in store?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I took my parents to the Sprint store yesterday and they used their upgrades on two new Galaxy S4s. I specified that they should be getting the Spark versions. Is there any way to check on the phone itself to see if it's the Spark version? Version number or something?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I took my parents to the Sprint store yesterday and they used their upgrades on two new Galaxy S4s. I specified that they should be getting the Spark versions. Is there any way to check on the phone itself to see if it's the Spark version? Version number or something?

The SKU of the spark ones is SPHL720T. The old ones don't have the T.

Also, stores aren't allowed to sell the spark phones until they sell through the old ones so definitely make sure.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Paul Proteus posted:

To you sprint employees, will a sprint store match the amazon price on an upgrade? I have an EVO LTE and have my upgrade up. I'm considering a g2 or a nexus 5, but the prices are way lower online. Not sure if this matters, but I'm on a normal unlimited family plan (with discount, but my wife still works at that company, so no worries there). If they won't match, is there really any reason to doing it in store?

No. Get it online.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is the new tmobile that can't decide what the gently caress to do and is changing plans every 6 months to see what works. Tmobile did that for like 2 years until finally settling on their current plans.

Seeing Hesse turn into a sailor-cussin' party-crashin' :iceburn:-droppin' Legere-style disruptive CEO would be interesting.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Someone add this number to the OP

Sales line for SERO users - 888 882 4030

The SERO customer service number is for stuff related to the plan, etc. If you qualify for an upgrade or want to buy poo poo, that is the number to call.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
It's a real bummer that Sprint doesn't carry 32gb Moto X's. Anyone have an idea of when they will, or when they'll have a solution for SERO customers who want to use the Moto Maker (which does carry 32gb)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Keshik posted:

The SERO customer service number is for stuff related to the plan, etc. If you qualify for an upgrade or want to buy poo poo, that is the number to call.

Adding this in. I've been meaning to overall the OP of a few of the threads and I'm shooting for end of the month.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Keshik posted:

Sales line for SERO users - 888 882 4030

I can never keep the SERO phone numbers straight, so this is awesome to have for future reference. I guess someday I'll probably go ahead and upgrade to the $50/mo. SERO big boy plan. Someday.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Blakkout posted:

I can never keep the SERO phone numbers straight, so this is awesome to have for future reference. I guess someday I'll probably go ahead and upgrade to the $50/mo. SERO big boy plan. Someday.
Someday, when they have a big boy network.

Which is actually coming soon. Check out those latest updates. Many hundreds of CDMA 800 sites are finally being switched on for better voice/sms reception. And some new towers and iDEN conversions scattered in there too. I still have my fingers crossed that my local iDEN tower will be converted.

Too bad the 800MHz stuff won't affect 3G EVDO at all. It's for 1xRTT voice/sms only. LTE800 will come eventually.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

td4guy posted:

Someday, when they have a big boy network.

Which is actually coming soon. Check out those latest updates. Many hundreds of CDMA 800 sites are finally being switched on for better voice/sms reception. And some new towers and iDEN conversions scattered in there too. I still have my fingers crossed that my local iDEN tower will be converted.

Too bad the 800MHz stuff won't affect 3G EVDO at all. It's for 1xRTT voice/sms only. LTE800 will come eventually.

quote:

Buffalo – 12 updates (LTE)

loving finally.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Got a text that NV updates will be complete next month (supposedly lol) in Colorado Springs.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

e.pie posted:

Got a text that NV updates will be complete next month (supposedly lol) in Colorado Springs.

gently caress yeah.

I was in Denver yesterday and was surprised to discover that there is way less LTE coverage up there than there is in the Springs. You would think it would be the other way around.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

e.pie posted:

I got the same text, middle of the state (so nowhere), SC.

The data coverage is definitely better, but I was hoping more of the towers would be converted to 4g.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Put in an order over the phone for a Moto X, and this was the price breakdown I got in an email after:
Phone and accessories - $164.98
Shipping - $12
Activation/Upgrade fee - $36
Tax - $71.19
Total - $284.18

Now, the phone was listed as $149.99 with $50 MIR. So I'm confused as to why it lists the phone as being $164.98, when I didn't get any accessories. The ship list shows the phone, MIR form, and a screen protector which I didn't ask for but I assume was included. Is there an obvious explanation for the $15 higher? Also, when did Sprint stop paying for shipping? Lame! ALSO, apparently the rebate comes in the form of a $50 Visa card! What happened to checks!

I was hoping I could avoid the upgrade fee but I didn't appear to be able to. I wanted to order it online (mostly to avoid all the extra poo poo they tried to sell me over the phone) but when I tried it said some error related to my account (I assumed because it's SERO) so I just phoned it in.

edit: lol, whoever I ordered with on the phone decided I needed some screen protectors without my knowledge. That explains the extra $15. I'll just return it to the Sprint store when I get the phone in since I was gonna exchange it for a white one anyway.

bobula fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Yeah, I've found it seems to be a coin flip as to whether you're able to get the activation fee waived. I always thought you could talk your way around it until my last upgrade, when I just couldn't make it happen. As for the "surprise" screen protector, that is some serious bullshit right there.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Paul Proteus posted:

Why not just get it online? I paid $10 for my Nexus 5 through Amazon. Showed up in 2 days.

I was a little hesitant about renewing since I was losing my shady 28% discount, but it turns out my current employer entitles me to a 22% discount so that's kind of awesome.

I'm pretty happy with LTE service in DC. I haven't tried it in a lot of random spots but I get 15-20Mb/s at home, about 5-7Mb/s at work (nowhere near a window) and have LTE most of the random places I've been driving and eating lunch. There are some spots where it drops out, but so far, so good. And I'm pretty sure the DC network isn't even close to finished so it should be pretty bad-rear end here when they're done.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Anyone looking to join a Framily plan.

Group ID - U00194092BT
Last 4 - 9655

Linco fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 25, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Linco posted:

Anyone looking to join a Framily plan.

Group ID - U00194092BT
Last 4 - 9655

Perhaps you should start an SA-Mart thread akin to the Amazon Prime thread.

Is there any obvious downside to Framily other than everybody's bill going up when someone decides to leave the plan? It seems pretty great if you have enough people.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Perhaps you should start an SA-Mart thread akin to the Amazon Prime thread.

Is there any obvious downside to Framily other than everybody's bill going up when someone decides to leave the plan? It seems pretty great if you have enough people.

I cant find any downside to the framily plan. If you get 7 people on your plan you get unlimited calls, text, and 1GB of data for just $25 a month. You can also add 3GB of data for $10 or unlimited for $20. Everyone gets their own separate bill and data usage.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The only downside is no subsidized pricing, I guess.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Biodome posted:

The only downside is no subsidized pricing, I guess.

Sprint phones are crazy cheap on swappa.com. This seems like a pretty good deal. Lg G2 for 280 iPhone 5c for 265 Moto X for 210.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
For people interested in either joining a Framily or sharing their code I started an SA-Mart thread here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Sprint phones are crazy cheap on swappa.com. This seems like a pretty good deal. Lg G2 for 280 iPhone 5c for 265 Moto X for 210.

Thank you for linking this site. I've only ever known about ebay for buying used unlocked phones, and that site is terrible in itself, but even more so for phones because people sell broken phones on there.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I'm eligible for upgrade and went to a sprint store. They pushed the Framily plan pretty hard and said contract plans are on the way out. I'm on the everything 450 plan, so unlimited data, messaging, mobile to mobile, nights/weekends and of course 450 anytime minutes. 69.99 + 10 dollar data add on. After employer discount it's about 73 a month. So a standard Framily plan will cost 50+phone price? No ten dollar data charge? How would my employer discount work?

Edit: Also I thought I heard if you're a current sprint subscriber you can't join a pre-existing Framily, but the sprint store guy said it was possible. Which is it?

UndergroundHero fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 26, 2014

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

UndergroundHero posted:

I'm eligible for upgrade and went to a sprint store. They pushed the Framily plan pretty hard and said contract plans are on the way out. I'm on the everything 450 plan, so unlimited data, messaging, mobile to mobile, nights/weekends and of course 450 anytime minutes. 69.99 + 10 dollar data add on. After employer discount it's about 73 a month. So a standard Framily plan will cost 50+phone price? No ten dollar data charge? How would my employer discount work?

Edit: Also I thought I heard if you're a current sprint subscriber you can't join a pre-existing Framily, but the sprint store guy said it was possible. Which is it?
$50 plus the phone cost is right - if you're okay with 1GB of data a month. It's an extra $10 to change it to 3GB or $20 for unlimited plus an annual upgrade option. Your employer discount only comes off of that extra $10 or $20, there's no discount off the base Framily prices. And from everything I've read about it, only new subscribers can join a Framily, although it's possible reps might have the ability to do it anyway.

The old Everything plans are gone now so your other option to upgrade is the Unlimited, My Way plan. That's also $50 plus $20 for unlimited data and again, the employer discount only comes off of the data portion. This will allow you to get a normal subsidized upgrade with the usual two year contract.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Or, unless I'm missing something , don't change your plan. Just renew and upgrade.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

datajosh posted:

And from everything I've read about it, only new subscribers can join a Framily, although it's possible reps might have the ability to do it anyway.
Officially you can't. There is a way to do it though - do a transfer of service to move the line to the account with the Framily plan, join the group, then transfer back. If the account is out of lines (as far as approved credit), it won't work. If either account carries a deposit, it'll have to be paid. And either way, expect the next bill to be a mess of proration.

I don't know if we're supposed to do that, but our manager told us to go ahead and do it if it comes up. And I'm sure he didn't think of it himself.

Partycat posted:

Or, unless I'm missing something , don't change your plan. Just renew and upgrade.
Best not to do it in a Sprint store. At our (dealer) store, we're actually not allowed to do non-Easy Pay/Framily upgrades or activations. Except on corporate accounts, because we have to order those phones and can't do it. The local corporate store decided to do that about 3 days before we did. We've lost a lot of sales because of it, but apparently the Sprint bosses are pushing hard enough that they would rather have customers walk out than have the percentage of Framily sales be below target.

You can still do it on the web site or through a retailer like Best Buy if your store won't do it, but it's only a matter of time before they do like T-Mobile and phase out the subsidized phone option.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 26, 2014

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

TVs Ian posted:

Officially you can't. There is a way to do it though - do a transfer of service to move the line to the account with the Framily plan, join the group, then transfer back. If the account is out of lines (as far as approved credit), it won't work. If either account carries a deposit, it'll have to be paid. And either way, expect the next bill to be a mess of proration.

I don't know if we're supposed to do that, but our manager told us to go ahead and do it if it comes up. And I'm sure he didn't think of it himself.

Best not to do it in a Sprint store. At our (dealer) store, we're actually not allowed to do non-Easy Pay/Framily upgrades or activations. Except on corporate accounts, because we have to order those phones and can't do it. The local corporate store decided to do that about 3 days before we did. We've lost a lot of sales because of it, but apparently the Sprint bosses are pushing hard enough that they would rather have customers walk out than have the percentage of Framily sales be below target.

You can still do it on the web site or through a retailer like Best Buy if your store won't do it, but it's only a matter of time before they do like T-Mobile and phase out the subsidized phone option.

That explains a lot. I thought it was odd that the rep acted like contracts and subsidized phones were done and over with overnight. I know that's the way every company is going, but I'm pretty easy to please and don't mind one more contract with a cheaper phone as opposed to no contract and a full priced phone. I think the Framily plan is too expensive for the time being.

Partycat posted:

I was thinking of keeping my plan and just doing the upgrade. It seems like my best option from a cost and use perspective. I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but does the data in the Everything plans include 4G?

datajosh posted:

The old Everything plans are gone now so your other option to upgrade is the Unlimited, My Way plan. That's also $50 plus $20 for unlimited data and again, the employer discount only comes off of the data portion. This will allow you to get a normal subsidized upgrade with the usual two year contract.
Or there's this. The site's showing 50 for the plan, and 20 for 1GB data or 30 unlimited data. Looking over my usage for the past year and I've barely eclipsed half a GB every month, so I could probably do the 1GB plan and save a little each month.

I appreciate all the feedback and letting me bounce things around.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yes, the unlimited data includes 4G.
And I think it's kind of crazy to give up unlimited data only a year before Sprint finishes deploying its nationwide Network Vision fiber optic-connected awesome LTE service everywhere. If you're gonna stick with Sprint, stick with unlimited. And watch how your usage naturally increases as you actually get good reception and want to use your phone.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

td4guy posted:

Yes, the unlimited data includes 4G.
And I think it's kind of crazy to give up unlimited data only a year before Sprint finishes deploying its nationwide Network Vision fiber optic-connected awesome LTE service everywhere. If you're gonna stuck with Sprint, stick with unlimited. And watch how your usage naturally increases as you actually get good reception and want to use your phone.

But low data usage for a lot of people has nothing to do with reception/speed, so LTE wouldn't change that. For a lot of people, the majority of their data use comes when they're using wifi at home or work.