Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, Frozen isn't nearly as good as everyone's made it out to be. I mean, I love Idina, and Kristen Bell, but yikes. Tangled was a much better film.

I love Tangled to bits, but the songs in Frozen were much better and the story was a bit more interesting. The lanterns scene in Tangled possibly just pushes it over for me personally, but I hate that whenever I watch it someone always throws dust into my eyes at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love Tangled to bits, but the songs in Frozen were much better and the story was a bit more interesting. The lanterns scene in Tangled possibly just pushes it over for me personally, but I hate that whenever I watch it someone always throws dust into my eyes at that point.

Oof, I gotta disagree all around. IMHO, Tangled is better in just about every category, and that's despite my deep interest in anything Idina or Kristen Bell does. Frozen is really, really overhyped. The story is paper thin, the songs aren't as catchy or memorable (I love Let it Go, but it's not as good as I've got a Dream, I see the light or When Will My Life Begin) - and the characters aren't as charming or instantly likable.

It's an ok film, but it's just not that great.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

An amazing trailer for Hannibal Season Two; lots of MAJOR SPOILERS though so watch with caution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhl6WgMTGw

Christ, this doesn't even look like a TV show, it looks like a beautiful arty horror movie in the absolute best sense of the word. Holy drat gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why would you watch a trailer for the second season of a show you haven't seen yet? Urgh.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would you watch a trailer for the second season of a show you haven't seen yet? Urgh.

Because if a show is good enough (Hannibal is) being "spoiled" isn't going to make watching the show any less enjoyable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God dammit, I'm fighting the urge to watch that.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just bought season 1 of Hannibal so sometime in the near future I'll have to squeeze it in between episodes of the West Wing. Speaking of which, I've been going through the West Wing for the first time. I'm only halfway through season 2 but the West Wing is a really good show.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
It stays good for a good long while, so enjoy that.

I'm a little over half through Hannibal, and hope to catch up by season 2's premiere, but it is quite amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jingleheimer posted:

I just bought season 1 of Hannibal so sometime in the near future I'll have to squeeze it in between episodes of the West Wing. Speaking of which, I've been going through the West Wing for the first time. I'm only halfway through season 2 but the West Wing is a really good show.

Yes, it's a very good show. Probably my second favorite show ever.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

MrAristocrates posted:

God dammit, I'm fighting the urge to watch that.

Glad I'm not the only one. Seeing that poster was more than enough as it was.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Did somebody already call the thread for Hannibal Season 2? Because I have a thread title for it at least.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Jingleheimer posted:

I've been going through the West Wing for the first time. I'm only halfway through season 2 but the West Wing is a really good show.

I'm doing the same thing - been slowly making my way through The West Wing over the last week and just started episode five of season two - they just hired on Ainsley Hayes.

I really like the show, and I think the reason I've waited so long to watch it is because I always knew I'd like it; it was something I was so sure I would enjoy that it was worth putting off until there was a lull in my viewing schedule.

I was kind of hoping for more of those pilot moments where the President schools his detractors. So far there's only been one or two, but I guess that's the kind of thing you don't want to overdo.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

West Wing is really good until it just starts dragging on during seasons 5-6 with a small boost in 7. It eventually collapses under its own weight of slowly making each character unlikeable.

If you haven't reached Ainsley's ERA bullshit brace yourself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

I like spoilers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is wrong with Ainsley's ERA rant?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Thanks to my wife getting me hooked, I've watched up through season 5 of Supernatural. I know from posts about it that the rest of the show onward doesn't have an encompassing plot like the first 5 seasons did, but it doesn't get terribly dumb or stale over the next 4 seasons, does it? As long as it's still entertaining I don't mind, and also if there's not as much angel/demon stuff because I've pretty much had my fill of that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Thanks to my wife getting me hooked, I've watched up through season 5 of Supernatural. I know from posts about it that the rest of the show onward doesn't have an encompassing plot like the first 5 seasons did, but it doesn't get terribly dumb or stale over the next 4 seasons, does it? As long as it's still entertaining I don't mind, and also if there's not as much angel/demon stuff because I've pretty much had my fill of that.

No, it doesn't. And the plots of Seasons 8 and 9 are very closely tied together and they clearly have another big storyline brewing. I think the current season might actually be one of the best seasons of the show so far. The Angel/Demon stuff is very much still a part, but it takes a pretty different direction.

I'd say the weakest part of the latter seasons will be the first part you watch. It's clear through the first half of Season 6 they don't really have an idea of where they're going with the show anymore, but it never gets unwatchable or anything.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 20, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just walked through the living room where my wife is watching TV and saw four dudes in James Purefoy masks stabbing a bunch of people in a subway car with icepicks. The Following is back!

edit: now some dude is having sexy pillow talk with a dead girl :cripes:

smg77 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 20, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

What is wrong with Ainsley's ERA rant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3rLvzfizU

"I don't need my rights protected because they shouldn't have to be!". It's painfully dumb even at the time it took place, double so now that we've seen what voting rights not being protected leads to (VRA last year).

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

smg77 posted:

I just walked through the living room where my wife is watching TV and saw four dudes in James Purefoy masks stabbing a bunch of people in a subway car with icepicks. The Following is back!

I'm debating making a thread for anybody watching(probably hatewatching), but I am bad at making thread OPs. I dunno if the Following deserves a good OP though, or even a thread.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm debating making a thread for anybody watching(probably hatewatching), but I am bad at making thread OPs. I dunno if the Following deserves a good OP though, or even a thread.

Most of the last thread was just bewilderment at how incompetent the FBI is in the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

wilderthanmild posted:

Every OP deserves a little effort. But you don't have to make a spectacle out of it. Especially for a show which nobody likes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Dexter thread should be re-purposed into generic Hate Watch thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just make a Downton Abbey season 4 type thread. If anyone complains then they shoulda made the thread if they like the show so much.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Just make a Downton Abbey season 4 type thread. If anyone complains then they shoulda made the thread if they like the show so much.

There is no way to top the OP of the Downton Abbey season 4 thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is true. That was art.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Every OP deserves a little effort. But you don't have to make a spectacle out of it. Especially for a show which nobody likes.

I wrote an OP and accidentally deleted it. I guess there won't be a thread, because I can't muster up the motivation to write anything else beyond "Hatewatch a bad show with bad FBI ITT".

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

smg77 posted:

There is no way to top the OP of the Downton Abbey season 4 thread.

Always avoided DA but this makes me want to watch it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Said gently caress it and made a thread.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Slamhound posted:

The Dexter thread should be re-purposed into generic Hate Watch thread.

I've never seen Following, but it would take some effort to be worse than Dexter.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

CaptainHollywood posted:

I've never seen Following, but it would take some effort to be worse than Dexter.

I loved The Following season 1, in the way I love all the horrible movies Joel, Mike and the bots had to sit through on MST3K.

Dexter was not worthy of even that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's really bad. But not as bad as Hostages. I managed to make it a few episodes into The Following before finding it so ridiculous I couldn't watch anymore. I don't know about Dexter though. I stopped watching that after Doakes was killed off.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

It's really bad. But not as bad as Hostages. I managed to make it a few episodes into The Following before finding it so ridiculous I couldn't watch anymore. I don't know about Dexter though. I stopped watching that after Doakes was killed off.

I've watched Dexter up to midway into season 5. Season 4 was pretty good, but everything I've seen makes it sound like that was the last time it was a quality show and it's all downhill from there.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Dexter becomes a lumberjack.

Spolier alert, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Slamhound posted:

Spolier alert, I guess.

Well he is probably getting a spinoff devoted to that so its not like you could avoid it for long.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Are there any (good) websites like the AV Club that review TV shows an episode-to-episode basis but from a formalist point of view?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Slamhound posted:

Spolier alert, I guess.

Make this man a mod, STAT!

Anyone given Enlisted a shot yet?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like it. I already liked most of the cast before I saw the show but it's got a decent start. Keith David, Piz from Veronica Mars, The Finder from Bones/The Finder, and the dumb/hot brother from Suburgatory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Enlisted is good unless any pro-military stuff makes you irrationally angry like me.

Eagleheart season 3 makes every absurd comedy you've ever seen (including Spoils of Babylon) look tame as hell. It's absolutely nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Oof, I gotta disagree all around. IMHO, Tangled is better in just about every category, and that's despite my deep interest in anything Idina or Kristen Bell does. Frozen is really, really overhyped. The story is paper thin, the songs aren't as catchy or memorable (I love Let it Go, but it's not as good as I've got a Dream, I see the light or When Will My Life Begin) - and the characters aren't as charming or instantly likable.

It's an ok film, but it's just not that great.

This is entirely correct. Frozen has only one decent song, a garbage screenplay, and anemic characterization, which the eye-popping animation and wonderful cast just can't make up for. It's by far the most overrated movie of 2013.

Tangled is great, but Frozen is a stunning failure on Disney's part if you look for anything but visual spectacle in a movie.

• Locked thread